HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Questions about Agent/Advisor in re OHL

Old
11-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Edges7

vCash: 500
Questions about Agent/Advisor in re OHL

Questions about Agent/Advisor in re OHL.

I have several but these two are more pressing:

Will OHL GM's deal only with NHLPA certified agent/advisors?

Is there disclosure of OHL player packages as there is in NHL salaries?

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Fugu

vCash:
I'm not certain regarding the first question. I think given that the players have not reached the age of majority, the parents are the ones handling the agent relationship-- assuming there is one. I think it would be a difficult position legally to require that families use NHLPA certified agents. It's anti-competitive.

On the second point, individual teams do not necessarily disclose terms of contracts. The NHLPA does take it upon themselves to list annual compensation on their website under player profiles. Insiders and/or media types will ferret out some of the info, but that's a far cry from the NHL having a centralized list with all player salary details-- for public consumption.

Old
11-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Edges7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I'm not certain regarding the first question. I think given that the players have not reached the age of majority, the parents are the ones handling the agent relationship-- assuming there is one. I think it would be a difficult position legally to require that families use NHLPA certified agents. It's anti-competitive.

On the second point, individual teams do not necessarily disclose terms of contracts. The NHLPA does take it upon themselves to list annual compensation on their website under player profiles. Insiders and/or media types will ferret out some of the info, but that's a far cry from the NHL having a centralized list with all player salary details-- for public consumption.
Thanks...as an FYI I've found that the answer to both questions is no. I've also found out that in the case of the second question, O GM's do not look with favor upon agents revealing to one client what they may have gotten for another either.

Old
11-04-2010, 05:37 PM
leoleo3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges7 View Post
Questions about Agent/Advisor in re OHL.

I have several but these two are more pressing:

Will OHL GM's deal only with NHLPA certified agent/advisors?

Is there disclosure of OHL player packages as there is in NHL salaries?
Question 1 : it depends on the GM....and the player in question. On the one hand it would be short sited for the GM to refuse to deal with a players parent/or advisor.
Having said this (in defense of the GM)....meddling parents can be a nightmare.
It doesn't stop there....often it is Mom & Dad, Grandpa & Gramma, Uncle, Aunt etc. etc.
A GM is trying to run a hockey club and can't being fielding questions and complaints from numerous sources re the same player.
One agent or advisor is manageable.
As far as NHLPA certified vs un certified why would you opt for the un certified? If and when you go pro you would most likely need a certfied agent anyway....a certified agent costs you absolutely nothing through junior and no money changes hands until and or if you sign a pro contract.
Question 2 -Player packages are not made public ( as in not made available to the avg. joe) but there are rules/guidelines that are strictly enforced. Don't spend time sweating over this as there is very little to debate.
My advice- unless you are the next Crosby go with an NHLPA agent that has a very small client list. Further to this if the agent you are looking at has mutiple players in the same playing position as you and are eligble in the same NHL draft year choose another agent.
Ie- if you are a 17 year old player who needs help with - billets, tutors etc. how likely are you going to see an agent that reps 5, 10, 15 NHL Super Stars dropping everything that Crosby, Ovehkin, Malkin, Toews etc. needs to check into your billet or tutor requirements in Sudbury?
Re multiple players/same position , same draft.......your agent should be marketing you......this is difficult with 2 kids....who gets 80% of the agents attention, who gets 20%....is it 50% & 50%? Neither is good....the player should get 100%.

My thoughts......I am a Player Development Rep. for an NHLPA Certified Agent.
We have 20 pro clients, 2 WHL clients, 1 AJHL client, 1 USHL client.
I handle all the dealings with the junior clients including, pr , marketing, media, interviews, dialogue with coach, GM, billets, tutors, working on the players skill sets, motivation, ice time etc. I attend many of their games, the games I do not attend live I watch on tv/web. Depending on the player i communicate with them as to their wishes. 1 client wants to talk to me before and after every game....so we do.
When it comes to contract negotiation the agent takes over.
Good luck!

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyrep View Post
I am a Player Development Rep. for an NHLPA Certified Agent.
We have 20 pro clients, 2 WHL clients, 1 AJHL client, 1 USHL client.
I handle all the dealings with the junior clients including, pr , marketing, media, interviews, dialogue with coach, GM, billets, tutors, working on the players skill sets, motivation, ice time etc. I attend many of their games, the games I do not attend live I watch on tv/web. Depending on the player i communicate with them as to their wishes. 1 client wants to talk to me before and after every game....so we do.
When it comes to contract negotiation the agent takes over.
Good luck!
Thanks. I'm only an interested party in asking these questions and not a parent. An old player of mine "fired" his advisor who then went nuclear on him and I was just trying to clarify some information. The first question had to do with the fact that the GM seemed to be comfortable dealing with the player's father and the father was afraid that he may have been breeching some sort of protocol in talking to the GM. And the second question was that he didn't know if he was being low-balled on the package or not. Personally, I thought that he was being low-balled but I am not fully schooled in the ways of the O.

It all became moot after last night. The player will now be repped by a very good agency and the chances are that he will be in the O before January.

Last edited by Edges7: 11-05-2010 at 10:39 AM.