Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ference gone when Boychuk returns

Old
11-06-2010, 02:20 PM
boss3252

vCash: 500
Ference gone when Boychuk returns

I think in Boychuk's absence McQuaid has played very well. Seeing we must shed some salary soon , Ference is my pick to leave. I think this trade will not affect us in any way.

Last edited by Greyhounds: 11-06-2010 at 04:33 PM.
boss3252 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Colt.45Orr

agreed --but who is going to take him at that coin?

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 02:22 PM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Except that he's been playing on the top pair with Chara, and playing very well.

But yes, let's make a separate thread every time we get the urge to throw a player away.

McQuaid goes back to being a great #7 when Boychuk returns. That's it. Get used to Ference, because he's not going anywhere.

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

BigBadBruin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 02:33 PM
CamDegs13
Nose Face Killah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 View Post
Except that he's been playing on the top pair with Chara, and playing very well.

But yes, let's make a separate thread every time we get the urge to throw a player away.

McQuaid goes back to being a great #7 when Boychuk returns. That's it. Get used to Ference, because he's not going anywhere.
This. I know there's an urgency to create cap space but Ference has been playing surprisingly well this season, IMO.

Hunwick's still the one that's gotta go.

CamDegs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Alicat
Charge!

How about we leave the D alone, they are playing well. McQuaid will go back to the 7th D. Don't we already have about 4 threads about who stays and goes already?

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Duguay2

I find this site is getting obsessed with salary cap issues, and ridding of players un-neccesarily.

How many times does it need to be displayed that the GM has several different options at his disposal whence certain players return from the IR?

Mostly he has time. Time and the odds that another injury (or two) will occur in the meantime.

Duguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Balcony Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss3252 View Post
I think in Boychuk's absence McQuaid has played very well. Seeing we must shed some salary soon , Ference is my pick to leave. I think this trade will not affect us in any way.
Thank Christ you aren't the GM. Ference is fine, watch a game.

Balcony Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 03:23 PM
almostawake

No matter what your opinion of Ference is, it's ridiculous to suggest that this team will go with 6 defensemen.

When Sturm/Savard come back we're adding 2 forwards to a rosters that already has 14. I think it's pretty obvious where the roster will be trimmed to get under the cap.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 03:27 PM
A Healthy Kelly
Zigenare

Send a message via AIM to A Healthy Kelly
I'd go so far as to say that Ference has been our best blueliner aside from Z and Seidenbergy (lately), don't know if people will agree, but just my opinion based on the early parts of the season. I'm an every game watcher, of course lol. He hasn't been noticeable, and for him that is good to me. It means he is doing his job and isn't making mistakes. He isn't flashy, but he has better wheels than most and plays bigger than he is. Plus, although he isn't a great offensive talent, he makes that first pass that's so valuable extremely well.

Would I trade him? As a last resort, probably, considering we do have McQuiad and Kampfer. Kampfer has been a man among boys in the A. There are other players I would much prefer to shed over him, though. I think he brings a bit more than he's given credit for, even if his bones are made of glass.

A Healthy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Heisenberg77

As always with the countless, needless threads posted hourly on here...

Great in theory, but simply not realistic.

As good as Ference has been, I'd most certainly be open to ridding that albatross of a contract given his durability issues. Again though, it's not realistic to expect Chiarelli to find a taker and execute a move amidst the complicated cap situation/timing we're in right now.

Heisenberg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 03:40 PM
ALinsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkfan77 View Post

As good as Ference has been, I'd most certainly be open to ridding that albatross of a contract given his durability issues. Again though, it's not realistic to expect Chiarelli to find a taker and execute a move amidst the complicated cap situation/timing we're in right now.
Its quite realistic, just not now. Calling Ference's contract an albatross is a pretty big overstatement, IMO.

2.25 millin for three years, with no NTC, for a DMan that, when not injurd (and yes I know that is a big if) is quite solid/verastile (as shown in his stepping up to play with Z) is just not an albatross. Come dadline time, if a team needs depth on D, with Ference's hit reduced, suddenly he becomes quite valuable.

Without injuries, the guy is a quality NHL defenseman for going on ten years now. His groin problems should be completely solved now. Such a low cap hit just can never be an albatross when the guy is a consistent, solid NHL player. Sturm's 3.5 milllion NMC is much more of an albatross, prohibitive contract, IMO.

ALinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 04:05 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
not even close.

try hunwick first.

and even then, whos the 7th d-man if (when) we have another injury?

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 04:26 PM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

I wonder if Anaheim would be interested?

They don't have a ton of cap space, but enough to afford Ference.

Their D is so thin it's scary (and they're averaging a league worst 38 shots against/game).

Something like Ference for Syvret?

They get a modicum of stability on their backend, Syvret cleared waivers twice already this season so it's not like they're giving us something they're worried about losing, and we get a very cheap #6/7 that saves us $1.75m in the process.

PlayMakers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Frankie Spankie

Ference is playing great so far. I'm not sure which Bruins games you were watching if you think he deserves to sit before McQuaid and Hunwick. McQuaid will go back to being the 7th defenseman when Boychuk returns even though Hunwick should.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 04:37 PM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkfan77 View Post

exactly,good way to put things,

22Brad Park is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 04:39 PM
Heisenberg77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinsky View Post
Its quite realistic, just not now. Calling Ference's contract an albatross is a pretty big overstatement, IMO.

2.25 millin for three years, with no NTC, for a DMan that, when not injurd (and yes I know that is a big if) is quite solid/verastile (as shown in his stepping up to play with Z) is just not an albatross. Come dadline time, if a team needs depth on D, with Ference's hit reduced, suddenly he becomes quite valuable.

Without injuries, the guy is a quality NHL defenseman for going on ten years now. His groin problems should be completely solved now. Such a low cap hit just can never be an albatross when the guy is a consistent, solid NHL player. Sturm's 3.5 milllion NMC is much more of an albatross, prohibitive contract, IMO.
To me, the "ifs" make this contract unfavorable. If anything, I think the decision to sign the guy (knowing he was about to undergo surgery) makes me hate the contract more. Regardless, I still feel the dollar amount is slightly higher than I would like it, (but I get that it's close to fair market value) and the term, for a guy that injury prone is just simply not a good move.

Old
11-06-2010, 04:57 PM
mfurta15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
Ference is playing great so far. I'm not sure which Bruins games you were watching if you think he deserves to sit before McQuaid and Hunwick. McQuaid will go back to being the 7th defenseman when Boychuk returns even though Hunwick should.
McQuaid is staying for good , Ference and Hunwick are turnover machines and AHL caliber players

mfurta15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 05:01 PM
KillerKampfer*

Once Ference leaves PC's grade goes up. He is the one remaining blackeye.

Ference is poor with everyone other than Chara. Time to move on.

Credit to him for the way he is playing this is Ference at his best right now.

KillerKampfer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

How is this speculation exactly?

Guiledoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Heisenberg77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post
How is this speculation exactly?
Because it's HF, unfortunately.

Old
11-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Afam*

if true.oh well.andrew ferrence has being playing well, but he might be one of the bruins players that has to suffer due to cap casualty.off from the ferrence topic,the bruins played well last night but the capitals were a desperate team,you could see it from the way they were skating and diving for lose bucks.i l also like the way the bruins players they fought back to tie the game.it showed me the B's have heart.hopefully they can bring that intensity at the garden tonight and own the blues.Go B's

Afam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
ference cant wow us fans cause he is very average to below average as a 5 type dman as far as his skills go. we all are happy to let him go and dont really care what we get back even.

he obviously can wow his gm and coach and his fellow players though cause they give him 3 year deals at over 2 mill and follow him to the ends of the earth with his off ice activites and name him their union guy and give him a's to wear throughout his career.

this is a guy that gets his money cause hes a locker room leader. before he got to Boston we were a country club atmosphere that seemed to quit in games and rollover for easy loses. some might say we still have a bit of that in us after last years playoffs, but we have a lot less after Ference was picked up.

we cant ship him out and replace him with a raw rookie or we create a leadership vacuum. maybe we can ship him out if we are getting back another strong vet to replace him. i wouldnt hold the breath though on seeing him go unless somehow we decide to get into the souray sweepstakes possibly. ference is an edmonton area kid and exactly what they need to help their young team grow. but he is also what we need unless we are replacing him with a very respected vet

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 06:53 PM
hubby1746

ya maybe this should be labeled "opinion". Id rather let Hunwick go than Ference. At least Ference is a veteran with playoff and cup experience and can move the puck just as well as Hunwick.

hubby1746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 07:18 PM
misterjaggers

This is the group of defensemen we'll have until at least the trade deadline. That's my guess.

We could use quick, slick puck mover, but they don't grow on trees.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 07:41 PM
BamBamCam*

Right....

if it is not Wideman or Obama's fault then it must be Ference or Hunwick's fault.

Same stuff different year.

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote