Notices

Potential trade partners

Old
11-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Number8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
Why would the Bruins even worry about getting Sturm or Savy back? Money ?/ I dont get it,they may come back and ruin everything too. They are flying right now and all these guys mentioned in trades are playing great Ryder has been great so far this yr,So why fix what is not broken.This team is playing great hockey and Sturm and savard are both type players that are easily knocked off puck and injury prone.
Even if that were true (in Sturm's case I think it is, in Savard's I don't) I'm not sure there is anything they can do. They are both under contract so they are either healthy or they are not. Once they are, the B's have to deal with the "problem", like it or not. I'm a fan of putting Sturm in Providence (I assume they can do that with NMC/NTC and LTIR issues - but don't honestly know). I am not a fan of putting Savard in Providence. His addition to the PP alone would be huge.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 05:02 PM
NinthSpoke06

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetEmPlay View Post
That Phoenix trade is nuts in my opinion. I'm not that high on Yandle... All I see is a turn over prone defenseman with an attitude. Wideman-lite.
You should probably watch him more. You couldn't be more wrong. Like you are in the wrong hemisphere.

NinthSpoke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 05:15 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

I think that a team with scoring issues that is still in the race and have some cap room would have at least some interest in Ryder or Sturm. If they have the cap room to fit them, those are the type of secondary scorers that are usually available at the deadline. I can see a half dozen teams that might fit that bill right now.

Other than getting under the cap, I have no interest in making a move though. I think solving the cap woes seems as simple as putting Sturm in Providence. Unless there is something I'm missing.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbloodhockey View Post
You would not take Kaberle for Colborne with the depth you already have at C?
**** no.

Guiledoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Lordstanley
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_physique View Post
You lost me when you said Power Forward Blake Wheeler
Agree ...................... Don't think he will ever regain rookie year status ( 18 goals ) and would bet the farm he would never be considered a power forward !

Lordstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 07:12 PM
phatmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
I think that a team with scoring issues that is still in the race and have some cap room would have at least some interest in Ryder or Sturm. If they have the cap room to fit them, those are the type of secondary scorers that are usually available at the deadline. I can see a half dozen teams that might fit that bill right now.

Other than getting under the cap, I have no interest in making a move though. I think solving the cap woes seems as simple as putting Sturm in Providence. Unless there is something I'm missing.
it seems like they arent able to do that. that is to say, once activated from LITR, sturm has to be put on the bruins roster. there's no way to go directly from LITR to WAIVERs. meaning, for example, they will have to dump ryder in providence to activate sturm. once sturm is activated, they can THEN dump him in provy and try to recall ryder, but unfortunately i think he'll be taken on re-entry waivers, putting half his cap hit on the boston payroll. which of course means more cap trouble.

from what i can understand, if they were able to dump sturm DIRECTLY to the minors or DIRECTLY from LTIR to another team via trade, there probably wouldnt be a huge issue. however, there needs to be that step in between, putting him on the roster even if only for an hour.

can anyone confirm this?

phatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 07:26 PM
DaveFromNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatmike View Post
it seems like they arent able to do that. that is to say, once activated from LITR, sturm has to be put on the bruins roster. there's no way to go directly from LITR to WAIVERs. meaning, for example, they will have to dump ryder in providence to activate sturm. once sturm is activated, they can THEN dump him in provy and try to recall ryder, but unfortunately i think he'll be taken on re-entry waivers, putting half his cap hit on the boston payroll. which of course means more cap trouble.

from what i can understand, if they were able to dump sturm DIRECTLY to the minors or DIRECTLY from LTIR to another team via trade, there probably wouldnt be a huge issue. however, there needs to be that step in between, putting him on the roster even if only for an hour.

can anyone confirm this?
It's true they need to activate Sturm first before demoting him, which may require moves beforehand. I think it depends on who else is also on LTIR when Sturm gets activated though whether Ryders hit would be required to accomplish it, or whether some smaller moves could handle it (McGratton down, Boychuk and Savard on LTIR, trade Paille, type moves).

DaveFromNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Quote:
Not a chance. Not giving up Colborne for 1 the rest of this season of Kaberle. Not worth it at all.

Dwatson783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Lord Ahriman

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatmike View Post

can anyone confirm this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFromNB View Post
It's true they need to activate Sturm first before demoting him, which may require moves beforehand. I think it depends on who else is also on LTIR when Sturm gets activated though whether Ryders hit would be required to accomplish it, or whether some smaller moves could handle it (McGratton down, Boychuk and Savard on LTIR, trade Paille, type moves).
You are right, Sturm needs to be active before being put on waivers. Cap salary is counted on daily basis, so if the idea is sending him to Providence, we just need send Caron or Marchand to Providence for 2 days to create one roster spot for Sturm, and when he clears, Caron or Marchand can be back (it means, for cap reasons, his salary would count only the days he is active on the roster, in this case 2 days, IMO, won't be a problem considering cap salary for all season).

Lord Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFromNB View Post
OK, not like I'm really suggesting this, but didn't Marchand raise some eyebrows in camp by going a bit low on Seidenberg? Any chance he might be assigned to cover Marco during his first live drills????

OK, that's mean... and not right.... and completely inappropriate.... and not at all the right thing to say...... right?

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 08:29 PM
UConn126
Bass Player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatson783 View Post
Not a chance. Not giving up Colborne for 1 the rest of this season of Kaberle. Not worth it at all.
agreed. not to mention this makes no sense for the cap situation, AND not to mention Colborne played wing last in at school. There is no reason to trade one of our top prospect for a guy who has essentially no long run benefit and minimal short run benefit. Yeah, he'll generate scoring from the point, but is that what we need? Our offense is 4th in the league right now playing with our rought and tough, "gritty" blue line (and matt hunwick).

UConn126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 08:36 PM
DaveFromNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ahriman View Post
You are right, Sturm needs to be active before being put on waivers. Cap salary is counted on daily basis, so if the idea is sending him to Providence, we just need send Caron or Marchand to Providence for 2 days to create one roster spot for Sturm, and when he clears, Caron or Marchand can be back (it means, for cap reasons, his salary would count only the days he is active on the roster, in this case 2 days, IMO, won't be a problem considering cap salary for all season).
Right - if it was timed right they might even have one of the longer breaks between games, and they could be down the 48 hours without missing a game. Thanks, forgot about those guys.

DaveFromNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Ratty

What part of N-T-C do these posters not understand? Savard to Phoenix? All the rest is a blur.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

And yeah, about the last thing Wheeler is is a power forward. He's a very nice backchecking forward who can use his size to protect the puck and get to the net but that does not a power forward make. His shot isn't half hard enough to be a power forward's shot for one thing, and that's even if his defense-first approach to the game didn't immediately disqualify him from consideration.

Pretty much he is what he is, a better scoring version of P. J. Axelsson in a 6'5" body. It's not a bad package, but another thing it isn't is a power forward.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:25 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
What would Boston want for Colborne?

As mentioned here already Savard seems like he will be with the Bruins for a long time because of his health and NTC. There is also Krejci, Bergeron and now Seguin down the middle.
I would definitely consider moving Colborne for TOR's 2011 first round pick...oh, wait, we already have that

GloryDaze4877 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Savynquick*

Quote:
There isn't a GM in the league that is giving you their best young prospect for Kaberle. He had that chance maybe 3 years ago. Now he's going to be in a dog fight to get a 2nd rounder for Kaberle at the deadline. I doubt he gets a first...

Savynquick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 05:51 AM
ODAAT

I think there are a few scenarios that have to be in place in order to deal with a few teams.

1- cap space, who has it?

2, of those that have it, who is willing to add salary??

3-what are their needs? Just because we have player a,b or c available, doesn`t mean that team needs one of those players.

The Kings have space but I have no clue if they would be willing to add it and where they need help.

The Avs have a ton of space too but I don`t know if their ownership is willing to spend more at this time, they have gone young and inexpensive.

The Yotes? Less than 7,000 at their game last night, does the NHL go forward and approve any move that adds salary for this trainwreck??

I have to think there will be a dance partner or two out there but....everyone and his sister know the position the B`s are in, returns, unless there is a team desperate to add a piece that they feel is paramount this early in the season, would be minimal I have to think.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 08:32 AM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbloodhockey

I'd trade Colborne + for a young stud defenseman. If we could use him as a chip to bring back a Yandle, or something like that I think it's worth it. We are stacked at forward this year and onward, and we have four picks in the first two rounds this draft. I wouldn't trade him for a rental (ie Kaberle)

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 08:45 AM
Scotto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savynquick View Post
-Nobody is going to want Savard. Is health is way to unkown, and given the length of his contract, I'd say he's going to be a Bruin for a long long time. Also his trade clause.

-Do we want to trade Paille? Isn't our PK number 1 in the league? Is he not anchoring it?

Paille has played in one game this season and our PK sucked in that game.

edit: sorry I was very late on this one. to answer your followup question. Just because Paille is now usless to us does not mean he can't help out another team that needs it on the PK.

To many of our young guys are showing skill on the PK and in other areas making Paille the odd man out on Boston but there are other teams that could use someone just like him.

Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Eennad142

Quote:

You still refer to Kaberle on HFToronto board as 'high-end PMD', and you are still trying to pass that defensive low-end loser off for the highest return. No trade takers for Kaberle around the league for the last two years, take the hint.

Eennad142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 09:14 AM
LetEmPlay

Quote:

As mentioned here already Savard seems like he will be with the Bruins for a long time because of his health and NTC. There is also Krejci, Bergeron and now Seguin down the middle.
Luke Schenn straight up, but your GM laughs.

LetEmPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
Paille has played in one game this season and our PK sucked in that game.

edit: sorry I was very late on this one. to answer your followup question. Just because Paille is now usless to us does not mean he can't help out another team that needs it on the PK.

To many of our young guys are showing skill on the PK and in other areas making Paille the odd man out on Boston but there are other teams that could use someone just like him.
Bergie - Caron
Krejci - Wheeler
Campbell - Marchand

Those are more or less our forward pairs on the PK.

I'm not sold on Paille being entirely expendable at this point.

The biggest reason the Bruins have such a successful kill, is that they can roll out THREE effective sets of forwards. Paille gets a lot of credit for turning this team around in that respect last season, but he was more of a "final puzzle piece" than he was a one-man wrecking crew.

My hesitation comes in when one of these top-nine goes down with injury... We have no one else on the current roster who can replace him.

Perhaps a needless fear. But I think we should be careful when we call for a firesale. It could end up hurting the team in ways one wouldn't expect when looking at every trade individually.

EDIT: As a side note - you'll never guess who's leading our forwards in shorthanded time on ice per game.

Mr. Make-Believe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Scotto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
Bergie - Caron
Krejci - Wheeler
Campbell - Marchand

Those are more or less our forward pairs on the PK.

I'm not sold on Paille being entirely expendable at this point.

The biggest reason the Bruins have such a successful kill, is that they can roll out THREE effective sets of forwards. Paille gets a lot of credit for turning this team around in that respect last season, but he was more of a "final puzzle piece" than he was a one-man wrecking crew.

My hesitation comes in when one of these top-nine goes down with injury... We have no one else on the current roster who can replace him.

Perhaps a needless fear. But I think we should be careful when we call for a firesale. It could end up hurting the team in ways one wouldn't expect when looking at every trade individually.

EDIT: As a side note - you'll never guess who's leading our forwards in shorthanded time on ice per game.
I agree with everything you said except we do have someone on the roster who can help out the PK. That would be Sturm when he gets back so if we move Pallie we would still have that 7th dept PK forward.

I like Paille but he has a decent size cap hit and we need all the room we can get so something has to give. I would rather see Hunwick/Paille moves to free up a little and then use Ryder as trade/demotion to free up the rest and finally put an end to the move Thomas idea.

Without looking it up I am going to guess Caron is leading. Every time that kid is on the PK he stands out big time which is why I am going to guess its him.

Old
11-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
I agree with everything you said except we do have someone on the roster who can help out the PK. That would be Sturm when he gets back so if we move Pallie we would still have that 7th dept PK forward.

I like Paille but he has a decent size cap hit and we need all the room we can get so something has to give. I would rather see Hunwick/Paille moves to free up a little and then use Ryder as trade/demotion to free up the rest and finally put an end to the move Thomas idea.
"When he gets back" is sort of what I mean. Ditto with Savard, who can skate a regular shift on the PK. As of the roster today.

And yes, it's Caron. Who I agree looks great out there. But I still have to say that I'm surprised he's been getting (ever-so-slightly) more time than Patrice Bergeron in that respect.

Here's another thing... How much money do we have to free up? I thought it was like $3.2M in yearly cap space. Why is it that we're looking at moving Ryder PLUS?

Mr. Make-Believe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Scotto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
"When he gets back" is sort of what I mean. Ditto with Savard, who can skate a regular shift on the PK. As of the roster today.

And yes, it's Caron. Who I agree looks great out there. But I still have to say that I'm surprised he's been getting (ever-so-slightly) more time than Patrice Bergeron in that respect.

Here's another thing... How much money do we have to free up? I thought it was like $3.2M in yearly cap space. Why is it that we're looking at moving Ryder PLUS?
Really its Caron?? Wow I just said that because of how great he has looked on the PK. Plus I remember Bergy has had a few PIMs this year and I don't recall Caron taking any yet which would explain why he has more time on ice on the PK.

I see what you are saying now about Pallie. You don't want to trade him until after we get Sturm/Savard back for PK depth. I understand that but Chia must know they are getting close so he has to lay the ground work at somepoint might as well be now.

I am not sure the exact amount that needs to be freed up. I thought it was more then $3.2 but I am probabaly wrong. I don't think I have seen an exact answer on this.