HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Craig Conroy market value?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2004, 06:35 PM
  #1
Phanuthier*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murder capital (Edm)
Posts: 10,675
vCash: 500
Craig Conroy market value?

Conroy becomes a UFA on July 1st

He made 2.2 million last season

Everyone knows about him, what offer do you think he'll get?

Conroy apperently comparing himself to Sergei Fedorov (no joke) so he's obviously looking for a fat contract

Sutter doesn't seem to want to give him more than 2 mill.

Phanuthier* is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 06:38 PM
  #2
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
Conroy apperently comparing himself to Sergei Fedorov (no joke) so he's obviously looking for a fat contract
Thats assinine. I'd say Marchant would be a more realistic comparison ($3.5 per year).

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 06:49 PM
  #3
HuskyFlames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
Conroy becomes a UFA on July 1st

He made 2.2 million last season

Everyone knows about him, what offer do you think he'll get?

Conroy apperently comparing himself to Sergei Fedorov (no joke) so he's obviously looking for a fat contract

Sutter doesn't seem to want to give him more than 2 mill.
he didn't compare himself to Sergei as far as skill all he said was he had more points then Sergie in the last couple of years and he makes 10 million. He was pointing out that he needed a raise, that was all.

HuskyFlames is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 07:24 PM
  #4
detredWINgs
Registered User
 
detredWINgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
he didn't compare himself to Sergei as far as skill all he said was he had more points then Sergie in the last couple of years and he makes 10 million. He was pointing out that he needed a raise, that was all.
Are we comparing the same last three years where conroy had 75, 59 and 47 points over the last 3 years respectively (181 total 57 of which were goals) and Fedorov had 68, 83 and 65 points respectively (216 total of which 98 were goals)?

detredWINgs is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 07:29 PM
  #5
speeds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St.Albert
Posts: 6,823
vCash: 500
I don't see how he won't get at least 3 mil.

speeds is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 07:33 PM
  #6
detredWINgs
Registered User
 
detredWINgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,628
vCash: 500
Looks like Craig basically picked a somewhat relative comparison that had the biggest contract-Fedorov, instead of picking a realistic one-Ray Whitney.

Only 8 goals this year and hes looking for a raise? Half of Fedorov's contract (~5 million) would be overpaying for Conroy. I'd give him 3.25. Hes not any better than Ray Whitney at this point, and Ray makes 3.25M. Ray has 180 points over the last 3 years (215 games) and Craig has 181 over the last 3 years (223 games).

detredWINgs is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 07:49 PM
  #7
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,896
vCash: 500
Craig Conroy should sign for what he made in 2003-04.

At his age and with the NHL labor troubles,Conroy should not get greedy

The guy is a role player

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 07:53 PM
  #8
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,117
vCash: 500
I'd say he'll sign for a contract that's roughly about what Ray Whitney signed for in Detroit. While Conroy had a very strong playoff showing, his regular season was below sub-par with only eight goals. Teams are going to be more freugal with their cash this summer with the CBA looming, methinks.

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 07:56 PM
  #9
Barnaby3636
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
I can see the Rangers taking a run at him maybe

3 years 7.5 million dollars

Barnaby3636 is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 07:58 PM
  #10
Burke's Evil Spirit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 15,589
vCash: 500
Ray Whitney-type contract?

Who would blow $4 million on Conroy? I don't think he's going to get a very big raise.

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 08:00 PM
  #11
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby3636
I can see the Rangers taking a run at him maybe

3 years 7.5 million dollars
You can not be serious

3 years for a 33 year old role player

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 08:01 PM
  #12
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby3636
I can see the Rangers taking a run at him maybe

3 years 7.5 million dollars
Do you have any recollections of Mike Keane and Brian Skrudland

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 08:25 PM
  #13
HuskyFlames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
You can not be serious

3 years for a 33 year old role player
How is he a role player? The guy can score, pass and IS EXCELLENT defensively. He can also play PP and PK and log big minutes.

HuskyFlames is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 08:28 PM
  #14
Russian_fanatic
Registered User
 
Russian_fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,638
vCash: 500
I would sign him for 2 years $2.75 million .

Russian_fanatic is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 09:01 PM
  #15
guitaraholic*
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 898
vCash: 500
I don't see how it's possible to set any value on any UFA's at this point based on the fact that nobody knows what salary limitations the teams are going to be faced with. I am curious as to see what the free agency period brings and if any team signs ANYBODY before a new CBA is agreed upon.
The entire purpose of the new CBA would be to prevent guys from Conroy from making 5 million a year...

guitaraholic* is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 09:12 PM
  #16
detredWINgs
Registered User
 
detredWINgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Ray Whitney-type contract?

Who would blow $4 million on Conroy? I don't think he's going to get a very big raise.
Nobody, not even the Red Wings. He was paid 3 this year, 3.25 next year. Conroy could very well fetch 3-3.25.

detredWINgs is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 10:26 PM
  #17
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 19,354
vCash: 1000
Conroy would be a handy #2 centre or very good #3 centre. As a #1 he's a bit of a stretch (kind of Ruchin between Selanne and Kariya), but he did a decent enough job.

me2 is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 10:59 PM
  #18
HuskyFlames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2
Conroy would be a handy #2 centre or very good #3 centre. As a #1 he's a bit of a stretch (kind of Ruchin between Selanne and Kariya), but he did a decent enough job.
He was finally given a chance as a #1 center on the Flames and he did very well. At times he was xtremely hot and getting 1 point per game etc. He is capable of 60 (bad full season) to 75 points (good full season) WHILE playing great defensive hockey and the PK as well.

HuskyFlames is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 11:31 PM
  #19
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,150
vCash: 500
Scuttlebut I've heard is that Conroy is done in Calgary due to salary demands that Sutter will need to spend on Kipper. Sounds like almost all of Calgary's UFA's will be gone in fact, though I somehow feel that Sutter will find a way to resign Simon and Oliwa.

Marchant's $3.5 is probobly a good comparison to what Conroy is worth.

Mizral is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 01:45 AM
  #20
Go Flames Go*
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 943
vCash: 500
Sign him to a 3 year 8.5 Mill deal, and put some incentives in there like 25 goals he gets 500K, and 75 pts gets him another 500K.

He is a key part of our team, Reinprecht wont produce like Conroy does on the no 1 line. Sutter seems to think Reinprecht will be our no 1 guy, I disagree.

Go Flames Go* is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 01:54 AM
  #21
Tap on the Ankle
expert analysis
 
Tap on the Ankle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,583
vCash: 500
If the Flames don't resign him, I pray to God that Mucks (Sens GM) will make an offer to him.

Tap on the Ankle is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 06:32 AM
  #22
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 19,354
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
He was finally given a chance as a #1 center on the Flames and he did very well. At times he was xtremely hot and getting 1 point per game etc. He is capable of 60 (bad full season) to 75 points (good full season) WHILE playing great defensive hockey and the PK as well.
Sounds to me like a solid #2 (ie I think Morrison is really a #2 as well).

me2 is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 06:34 AM
  #23
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 19,354
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Thompson
Scuttlebut I've heard is that Conroy is done in Calgary due to salary demands that Sutter will need to spend on Kipper. Sounds like almost all of Calgary's UFA's will be gone in fact, though I somehow feel that Sutter will find a way to resign Simon and Oliwa.

Marchant's $3.5 is probobly a good comparison to what Conroy is worth.
Thats about right for a solid #2 centre on the UFA market. There is a lot more substance to his game than someone like Whitney.

me2 is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 09:43 AM
  #24
Other Dave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New and improved in TO
Posts: 2,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic
The entire purpose of the new CBA would be to prevent guys from Conroy from making 5 million a year...
Everybody seems to agree that it would be dumb to pay Conroy 5 mil a year, so why should there be a rule to prevent owners from doing it?

Why should they be protected from their mistakes?

Other Dave is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 11:37 AM
  #25
Flames Draft Watcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Flames Go
He is a key part of our team, Reinprecht wont produce like Conroy does on the no 1 line. Sutter seems to think Reinprecht will be our no 1 guy, I disagree.
I'll disagree with you. I think Iginla can be better with Reinprecht. Reinprecht is probably our most purely skilled player up front, his puckhandling, vision and passing are a joy to watch. Can't wait to see him when he's finally healthy as he played all of last year on a bunk shoulder.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.