HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Off Ice Workouts

Old
10-29-2010, 11:46 AM
ComradeChris

vCash: 1004
Off Ice Workouts

Alright so here is my situation. Not playing on ice hockey this year because I am enrolled in a community college and have grown out of Midget hockey so all I can do is go to drop in to see the ice. Planning on playing ACHA division 1 hockey next year so I'm trying to get as fast, explosive, quick, agilie, strong, and smart as possible for hockey.
I am fully committing my life to just my college classes, work, and hockey.

Anyway right now all I am doing is going to a park by my house and doing jump squats, sprints, pushups, pullups, and situps. Looking for anything else I can implement into my workout routine to yield the best results possible. All help is, very much so appreciated.

ComradeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Blueland89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeChris View Post
Alright so here is my situation. Not playing on ice hockey this year because I am enrolled in a community college and have grown out of Midget hockey so all I can do is go to drop in to see the ice. Planning on playing ACHA division 1 hockey next year so I'm trying to get as fast, explosive, quick, agilie, strong, and smart as possible for hockey.
I am fully committing my life to just my college classes, work, and hockey.

Anyway right now all I am doing is going to a park by my house and doing jump squats, sprints, pushups, pullups, and situps. Looking for anything else I can implement into my workout routine to yield the best results possible. All help is, very much so appreciated.
lunges

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I improved my conditioning with bodyweight exercises, going to try kettlebell routines starting next week.

I would look at the Peter Twist hockey conditioning book.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 12:40 PM
hsing

I strongly recommend you include strech exercices, especially for the hip flexor. After a whole year without skating and increasing your strenght, it would bt sad to injure yourself right at the beginning of the season. Push-up, sti-up and pullups are great for core muscle conditionning but I would put more focus on your back, who is more often than not neglect by hockey players.

hsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Ultimatestud

I would recommend plenty of deadlifts. Barbell preferably. Deadlift, deadlift, deadlift...it's great for your back, glutes, legs...probably the best overall strength exercise for hockey players.

Also squats, lunges, are great to incorporate into your program.

One poster recommended Tony Twist's book, and I can second that. It's a good read.

Other than that, the jump squats/plyometrics, sprints, and basic core/strength exercises that you are doing sound great.

Ultimatestud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Nakket

Box jumps are great for explosive power in the legs. I did a set of 20 and my legs were burning. Try regular deadlifts, as someone mentioned above, but also try straight leg deadlifts to get that stretch in your hamstrings.

Nakket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For the record, kettlebell squats are a killer for your hammies, work your back and core nicely, and have a good cardio component to them.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote