HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Teams that should have won the cup but didn't because of injuries

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-05-2010, 03:56 PM
  #26
OvenChicken8
Registered User
 
OvenChicken8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
05/06 Oilers
No way in my mind that that series goes 7 games if Roloson wasn't run over in game 1. Oil in 6.
Just what I was thinking. Damn you MAB

OvenChicken8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 04:18 AM
  #27
Czech Your Math
Registered User
 
Czech Your Math's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: bohemia
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 4,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
From another homer viewpoint, the Ottawa Senators were loaded that year but the dropoff from Hasek to Emery was enormous. With a healthy Hasek, I think they probably beat Buffalo. Emery was awful in that series.
That 2006 Ottawa team was the first I thought of, because Hasek was brilliant that year (as always) and they seemed like such a Cup favorite until he was injured. Was surprised to see Buffalo mentioned before them, although they were quite talented as well.

What was the difference between 2006 and 2007 when Ottawa and Buffalo met in playoffs? Games were really close, but the better regular season team lost each time 4 games to 1.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 04:20 AM
  #28
Czech Your Math
Registered User
 
Czech Your Math's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: bohemia
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 4,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbinsDuck View Post
They were certainly the better team, as it was, but I dare say a healthy Datsyuk (Hart nominee that year) could have made a difference in the 2 1-goal games they lost over the 4 Finals games he missed. Lidstrom requiring surgery on his testicles just prior to the series didn't help either. Or the countless other players injured, or the fact the series started 2 days earlier than normal, or the fact of the unprecedented 4 games in 6 days, or some of the calls (6 men on the ice for 21 seconds for example).

Lol, but I'm not bitter at all
Yeah, I don't think many others remember that, but I sure do. I thought at the time that Bettman was favoring the Pens with the injuries to the Wings. It didn't seem to matter after Wings went up 2-0, but still may have been an important factor.

I guess I don't remember it as well as you, because I thought it started more than 2 days early... and closer to a week early.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 10:01 AM
  #29
Chased By Trolls
Generational Talent
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Tampere, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
05/06 Oilers
No way in my mind that that series goes 7 games if Roloson wasn't run over in game 1. Oil in 6.
The Oilers probably would've been slight favorites with Roli in net but it's not like they would've cruised to an easy victory.

They weren't even leading the game when he was hurt in game 1, it was tied 4-4 late in the third, before Conklin came in and gave it away. In game 2 they scored 0 goals, followed by 2 goals in game 3 and 1 goal in game 4. Jussi Markkanen, who played all the games after the opener, finished the finals with a 2.17 GAA and a .905 svs%, including a shutout in game 6. He only allowed more than two goals twice, first in game 2 when they were shut out by Ward, and then in game 5, a 4-3 OT win. I would say their biggest problem was definitely offense and not goaltending. In game 7 they managed to score 1 goal.

Of course, it could've happened that the Oilers won game one in OT with Roli in net and never looked back, but that's far from certain. I'm just saying they didn't lose any games because of bad goaltending after game 1 and would've still had to solve the Conn Smythe winning goaltender at the other end of the rink.

Chased By Trolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 10:08 AM
  #30
nik jr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Congo-Kinshasa
Posts: 10,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
The 1917 and 2005 cups are the only ones not won by a deserving team...
1917 or 1919?

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 12:02 AM
  #31
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbinsDuck View Post
Most recently - The 2009 Red Wings.
Despite losing over 72 man-games to injury in those playoffs they still took Pittsburgh (3 man-games lost) to 7 games and outscored them over the course of the series.

I have to think just one of Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Hossa, Cleary, Draper, or Ericsson could have made the difference if slightly more healthy. That wacky, rushed schedule certainly did not help matters either.

Ah well, injuries are part of the game and kudos to Pittsburgh for stepping it up in the end.
Yes. Not to say that Pittsburgh didn't deserve the Cup, as they fairly won four games in the series, but I am quite confident that if both teams played at full health Detroit takes it.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 01:19 AM
  #32
Derick*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,624
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Okay, how about "which non-cup winning teams would have had the best chance to win the cup if they had no injuries?" Is that a smug retort proof way of putting it?

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 06:54 AM
  #33
The_Human_Atombomb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Mainz, Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 673
vCash: 500
This injury thing is a two-side coin IMO. Injuries are part of the game, every team knows that, some are willing to take their chances, some aren't. Hence the depth trades you see at the deadline. If you put your team's fortune on the shoulders of just a couple of players, you have no one to blame but yourself in case that plan fails.

Also, we've seen some good teams find ways to overcome injury. The 01 Avalanche lost the leading playoff scorer after two rounds and still came out on top.

The_Human_Atombomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 09:44 AM
  #34
startainfection*
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 7,578
vCash: 500
homer pick - 93 islanders

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 09:54 AM
  #35
Marky9er
Registered User
 
Marky9er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brampton ON
Country: Dominica
Posts: 5,469
vCash: 500
2007 & 2009 Red Wings. Them is the breaks, but they could have probably won either or both.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 09:56 AM
  #36
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015
 
VanIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,545
vCash: 500
The 1999 Buffalo Sabres were a team of destiny when a NONGOAL ended Game 6 OT of the Finals.

The refs were obviously injured in the head in blowing the call.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:00 AM
  #37
Derick*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,624
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Derick*
2009 Red Wings are a great example because they lost the cup by one goal and their opponent didn't have injury problems (iirc). I think that's one team where it's actually more likely than not that they'd win if they were healthy.

Heatley was injured all of last playoffs. I think it's very unlikely they win with a healthy Heatley though, seeing as: they were swept; they had another round to go after that; our problem was a lack of speed and depth, neither of which a healthy Heatley brings. But it's enough to raise a question mark.

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:11 AM
  #38
Derick*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,624
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
The 1999 Buffalo Sabres were a team of destiny when a NONGOAL ended Game 6 OT of the Finals.

The refs were obviously injured in the head in blowing the call.
This call doesn't quite deserve its bad rap. It's remembered as ridiculous because Hull obviously had his skate in the crease, but his not having his skate in the crease wasn't the basis of the call.



The rulebook stated that you were allowed to stand in the crease and score if you had possession before it entered the crease, and though it looks like Hall doesn't because he's fighting for it with another player before he scores, their thought was that it last touched him before he regained possession (Hasek or the Buffalo defender never touched it) other than a rebound, which doesn't count as losing posession, so Hull "still had" the puck from earlier. It wasn't an issue of whether he had his skate in the crease. So it's not like the refs made an off the wall blunder. It was an ambiguous call, and I disagree with them on it, but I'm not really angry at the refs.

I feel your anger though because a) the rule was stupid and the creases were too ****ing big back then, b) even on those standards, I think it wasn't a goal, c) it was gray to say the least and they shouldnt have let the cup winning overtime goal be a gray call, d) Brett Hull's a jerk, and e) Hasek would have been the first player in NHL history to basically single-handidly win a cup and that would have been ****ing awesome and sealed his generational status. But the situation isn't as obvious as it's made out to be.

It's the rule book writers who were injured in the head, much more so than the refs. Possession is so inherently vague and creases were so big at the time that this made it impossible to call goalie interference definitively. So it was just a matter of time before an important goal like that is tainted by it. It would be a lot simpler if they just make the crease smaller and make all skate-in-crease goals no-goals by the book. If it was a no-goal and Buffalo goes on to win the series, Dallas fans would have a right to be angry just like Buffalo fans have a right to be now, because of the ambiguity.

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:43 AM
  #39
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 33,488
vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Center Shift View Post
Let's say you are the GM of the Carolina Hurricanes in the summer of 2006, and you just won the Cup. Do you enter the next season thinking you have the best team in the league, because, hey, after all, you have the Cup ring and talk is cheap and the playoffs prove who is best and success is all that matters? If you do, then I think that's a serious error in judgment.

Maybe that's what Carolina did, they didn't do too much to change their team and they figured Cam Ward was ready to be a starting goalie and the end result was that they missed the playoffs the year after they won it all.
Actually it's funny you mention that, as that's one of the things the Canes tried to do that offseason and just weren't able to, which resulted in the next 2 seasons being rather poor. Trying to keep the core together hurt the team, but not for the reasons you would suggest. More then not making changes it was more a matter of not being able to find the right replacements for who they lost.

Doug Weight left back to St Louis despite being offered more to stay in Carolina. Only a #3 centerman, but he was huge on the PP allowing Staal to play the point.

Matt Cullen, who played the point on one of the PP units, leaves for New York as a free agent.

Aaron Ward went to New York as a free agent. That killed their defense and their PK.

Frantisek Kaberle had shoulder surgery, limiting him to 27 games the next season and further weakening the Canes PP.

Martin Gerber didn't like the Canes 1 year offer so he went to Ottawa. They had wanted him to remain as starter for one more year to mentor Cam.

That's 5 key guys (2 key forwards, 2 top 4 dmen, starting goalie) that they weren't able to replace since they had effectively sold the farm to get that cup. That's not including Recchi either since he was acquired due to Cole's injury. Mind you most of those players the Canes traded away didn't pan out either, but not being able to replace those players from within badly damaged the team in the long run. If anything I'd argue that too many changes killed the team since there wasn't anything truly available in free agency or in the system to replace them. There has to be a balance between keeping the core intact and changing out role players. Carolina wasn't able to do that in the 2006 offseason.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:45 AM
  #40
Le CH
Registered User
 
Le CH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
Quebec Nordiques

I know its not exactly how the OP meant it but it really sucked to have them win the Cup the very next year when they moved to Colorado.

Oops... didn't notice the "because of injuries" in the title before posting.


Last edited by Le CH: 11-07-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 01:38 PM
  #41
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
homer pick - 93 islanders
Because Turgeon would've been able to do to the Habs what Gretzky and Robitaille couldn't? Patrick Roy wasn't going to lose that year.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 06:12 AM
  #42
Section311
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,038
vCash: 500
The 97 Rangers had alot of injured players by the time the conference finals came along if I remember correctly. Dont know if they would have def one but def would have had a much better chance

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 08:34 AM
  #43
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
The 79-80 Habs might have made a better defense of their Cup Championship if they didn't have something like 8 regulars, including Lafleur, out with injury. I don't think they would have won because of a lack of a money goalie and a real coach, but who knows.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 12:02 PM
  #44
Gootie
Thug of the Year
 
Gootie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chiraq
Country: United States
Posts: 26,923
vCash: 500
2009 Red Wings. Lidstrom had a torn...package if you will, Hossa had a separated shoulder. Datsyuk had an injured foot and Bettman rushed the finals, causing Datsyuk to miss 4 games (I think). If the finals stayed on their normal schedule I think the Red Wings win that series.

Gootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 02:44 PM
  #45
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,544
vCash: 500
All this woulda, coulda, shoulda talk. Let's just say a great team with the misfortune of having key injuries at the wrong time and they had a great shot at the Cup. If that's the case here are some examples:

1955 Canadiens - Without the Rocket this team took Detroit to 7 games. Let's not forget they still had great players but they were missing their best one. I'd like to see this series with the Rocket in it and see how that would have panned out

1976 Flyers - Missing MacLeish but the biggest blow was missing Parent. Had he been healthy I surely don't see a sweep by the Habs. Either way that Habs dynasty was going to break out anyway though

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 02:56 PM
  #46
JABEE
Registered User
 
JABEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,633
vCash: 500
2003-2004 Flyers An injured Sami Kapanen was playing defense for a team that took the Lightning to Game 7 of the ECF and lost by a goal.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 03:01 PM
  #47
Rob Zepp
Registered User
 
Rob Zepp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,991
vCash: 500
I'd say the 2009 Florida Panthers. If more teams had been decimated by injury, they would have won the cup.

So, Florida didn't win the cup last year because of injuries....not enough of them to 29 other teams.

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 03:02 PM
  #48
Lebanese Leaf
Registered User
 
Lebanese Leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 6,437
vCash: 500
2004 Flames.

They won game 6 in my eyes.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 03:48 PM
  #49
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
1976 Flyers - Missing MacLeish but the biggest blow was missing Parent. Had he been healthy I surely don't see a sweep by the Habs. Either way that Habs dynasty was going to break out anyway though
Agreed. With MacLeish and Parent, those first 4 games are likely a split. Although it was a sweep, the Flyers were in every game and were really containing the Habs big guns.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 03:57 PM
  #50
CC Chiefs*
 
CC Chiefs*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 15,078
vCash: 500
I don't know if it's been said yet? The 1995-96 DRW 62 wins and 131 points.

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.