HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings vs Lightning - 11/04/10 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
11-05-2010, 01:09 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Downie is a punk, the only thing wrong that Doughty did on his check was not put him through the boards. One of these days, Downie is going to pick the wrong fight.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 01:09 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1888
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
Wow! Thanks for your info guys, what a piece of ****, meant Downie of course.

..and wow too how he possibly still can be around in this League.

..and another wow too how can Lightning keep a guy like that.
While Downie is nearly completely unlikeable, he still gives a high goal output. For 22 goals some teams will deal with a lot. Although annoying, he is very talented. While I wouldn't want him on the Kings, he does bring a lot of good things to his play.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 01:11 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
While Downie is nearly completely unlikeable, he still gives a high goal output. For 22 goals some teams will deal with a lot. Although annoying, he is very talented. While I wouldn't want him on the Kings, he does bring a lot of good things to his play.

so did Avery.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 01:12 AM
cnshockey
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acehawk74 View Post
No problems, you guys don't have to see it the same way as I do.

I agree, Downie was playing like a little whiny brat tonight. I'm not disagreeing with any of you on that.

As for the fight, CNS, I saw Downie's head pop backwards at the 53 second mark, under the officials' arm. I saw Mitchell's head pop backwards about a second prior. I'll call that a Wash, but it was BS by both of them to do that. They both cheapshotted each other, which I'll concede is a wash. Not sure why you're so curt about it though man, i'm not coming at you from a harsh angle. Just discussing it.

I think the whole incident is just awkward. Doughty did a blindside hit, that slightly (not badly) injured Downie, and got what I personally feel was a fair penalty for the hit. The "respect lost" comments I made earlier I have retracted, as I said they were too harsh, so that's something I'd like to put to rest.

Anyways guys, I just wanted to give some reasoning that you might not have seen/heard about Downie, which might explain why he was backing down earlier in the game from Clifford more than anything. Regardless, not one of his finer nights, but I don't think it's as sleazy as you guys feel it is. That said, I won't argue it, I'd be defending my guy just as stringently if I were in your shoes.

You guys have a good fanbase here, and I respect that. I've got to go for now, so thanks for letting me spend some time here discussing the game guys. I'm glad nothing came of it injury wise either way, and I look forward to the next time. Cheers, and gnight.
Really man, you gotta watch it again. It seems pretty clear to me that Downies head jerks because he's trying to break free from the ref and keep fighting Mitchell.

The reason I'm so "curt" about it is because I hate that Downie would try to run a guy just coming off a concussion. I have zero problems with you. I respect you for coming to our boards to discuss after a chippy game that ended in a loss for your side.

cnshockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 01:14 AM
Acehawk74
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Really man, you gotta watch it again. It seems pretty clear to me that Downies head jerks because he's trying to break free from the ref and keep fighting Mitchell.

The reason I'm so "curt" about it is because I hate that Downie would try to run a guy just coming off a concussion. I have zero problems with you. I respect you for coming to our boards to discuss after a chippy game that ended in a loss for your side.
Thanks for the answer. I understand where you're coming from.

Alright, off to bed. Gonna go pass out, as I have to teach 6 classes tomorrow, run a Pep Rally, and call a football game. I'll respond at some point during that time

Last edited by Acehawk74: 11-05-2010 at 01:18 AM. Reason: wtf...die instead of pass out? I am tired.
Acehawk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 01:16 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
your handle just made so much more sense... and now i'm quite aroused.
It took 11 months to emerge but we have our post of the year.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 01:18 AM
cnshockey
A World Alone

Quote:
I did comment. Please see the above post. I don't get why you're coming at me from such an aggressive angle though man, it's as if I offended you because I don't see it your way. Just trying to discuss it with civility.

Edit: I honestly do not have a biased opinion. I call things like I see them regardless of who the player is. Notice I called for Ohlund to get a Game Misconduct (and I honestly would agree with 1 game suspension) for the boarding on Brown. I just honestly do not think Downie was trying to injure him. That said, I'll do as you requested, and rewatch the video..but I'm gonna wait till tomorrow as I wont' be giving it a fair look at this point considering I'm pretty much asleep while typing.

Thanks for posting the video. I'll watch it in more detail after I get home from work tomorrow.
lol I saw your comment and replied too. Just a case of you replying when I was too and not seeing it. Anyways as I said before, I have no problems with you. I come off with an attitude because it just seems so obviously clear to me that Downie not only tried to cheapshot Doughty, but he DID cheapshot Mitchell and Mitchell didn't cheapshot him. I can't stand ****s like Downie who have a track record of doing dumb things and then going after our top guy, who's just coming off an injury. There's no respect in the NHL nowadays is there...?

And again, sorry if you feel I'm a bit brash with you. I'm a guy who will defend my opinion to death unless there is 100000000% clear proof I'm wrong, and watching the video multiple times I saw no cheapshot from Mitchell. Have a good night. Good on you for staying up so late to support your team and good luck to them the rest of the year

Old
11-05-2010, 01:18 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Did Shellz miss Quick's shutout tonight? Haven't seen her posting tonight.
I missed the second period. I posted a couple times though.

It's nice to see Quick with a shutout. But, the defense did awesome in front of him again. From what I saw, he wasn't giving them any second chances.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 01:19 AM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Downie is a punk, the only thing wrong that Doughty did on his check was not put him through the boards. One of these days, Downie is going to pick the wrong fight.
Can't pick a wrong fight when you run all game. While he's at it, why doesn't he buy a helmet that fits him. What a ******.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 01:28 AM
cnshockey
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
Can't pick a wrong fight when you run all game. While he's at it, why doesn't he buy a helmet that fits him. What a ******.
but but but....if his helmet fits him, his exaggerations don't look as good. Then what? He'll actually have to get hurt to draw the attention of refs? Oh no!!!

Old
11-05-2010, 01:30 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

9 down, 41 to go.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 01:45 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Downie is a retard. i'd love to see him in Carcillo in the same game. I'm going to have to watch the Flyers play Tampa this season. One of those guys is going to be the first NHL player to take his skate off and stab somebody.

Doughty should have got a rough for the hit on Downie. It was not a charge and you can't skate through the neutral zone backwards with the puck and not expect to get hit. He was looking for a call. Then he flops on the floor like he was shot. Just embarrassing. Definitely had some flashbacks of Sean Avery. He was running around all night and wouldn't fight until he had no choice. And yes, Downie threw a punch when the linesmen/ref jumped in and Mitchell gave him one back which threw Downie into a frenzy of "that's ********, that's ********, that's *** ********" while pointing at the ref and that is why he got thrown out. Last time I checked, pointing at a ref and telling him "that is ********" is grounds for getting tossed.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 01:48 AM
Scrivezina
Who needs offense?

Williams is looking better every game.
Sometimes I really miss McSorley. He would have pummeled Downey through the ice.

Mitchell was a stand up guy sticking up for Doughty like that. Piss on Downey......he shouldn't be playing. He reminds me a lot of Steve Ott. I think Downey will end some one's career one day. Glad it he didn't have anyone's number tonight. I'm hoping he gets suspended again.

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 02:07 AM
Skebo

Send a message via Yahoo to Skebo
Quote:
I'm certainly not going to disagree about Downie getting under skin, but I do not think he was trying to hit Doughty with an intent to injure at all. He should've (imo) been given 2 minutes for charging, 5 for fighting, and a 10 minute misconduct. He did leave his feet, but he went into the boards practically backwards. He was trying to hit him, but I don't think injury was the goal. We'll never know, and I'm going off deductive reasoning (as I don't see many players go into trying to injure someone with just one shoulder, or backwards into the boards).

Either way, Downie's improving his mentality, and he's not the thug he once was. I respect if you don't agree with that, and you'll probably not see eye to eye with me on it, and that's fine. I just simply thought it's worth putting my thoughts out there.

So, i'm not ****ing blind, I promise. I'll look at the fight again as soon as a youtube of it is up. My DVR cut off before that whole incident happened, so I only got mostly periods 1 and 2.
I think you have to look at the players involved and step back a bit.
  1. Downie - cheapshot artist, diver, pest, whiner
  2. Doughty - skillful defenseman, coming back from injury to the head, frequently being run by opponents
  3. Mitchell - stand-up team player
Then look at how the game unfolded:
Ohlund boards Brown (square in the numbers). Ohlund does his time in the box.
Doughty charges Downie (back of the shoulder) and Downie acts like he's taking rounds from the grassy knoll. Doughty does his time in the box.
Downie, who has not improved mentally, decides that Doughty's sentence wasn't stiff enough, so he takes matters into his own hands. Downie tries to charge Doughty (premeditated = intent to injure: 5 min. & misconduct). Doughty, being the skilled skater that he is, avoids the charge (charging penalty negated). Downie, now terribly vexed and embarrassed roughs (2 min.) Doughty.
Mitchell, being a stand-up team player asks Downie to dance (5 min. fighting). Downie reciprocates (5 min. fighting), given little choice.
Punch, punch, tousle, tousle, and the linesmen step in... Downie continues to struggle and tries to break free and land some more shots (abuse of an official: misconduct 10 min.).

So how I see it, Downie got off lucky, since he didn't connect on the charge. If he had connected, he'd likely be looking at a suspension given where he'd likely have connected (head) and his track record. Not to mention, he'd have been pummeled by more than just Mitchell.

Skebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 02:09 AM
cnshockey
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skebo View Post
Not to mention, he'd have been pummeled by more than just Mitchell.
Westgarth would have had his first fight of the season. and yes I'm aware he was scratched.

Old
11-05-2010, 02:14 AM
Skebo

Send a message via Yahoo to Skebo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Westgarth would have had his first fight of the season. and yes I'm aware he was scratched.
Let's see. It's a ten game suspension for leaving the bench to enter a fight. What's the suspension for leaving the pressbox to enter a fight? 30 games?!?

It would have been worth it.

Skebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 02:19 AM
Mully12
John Jackson!

Send a message via AIM to Mully12 Send a message via Yahoo to Mully12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skebo View Post
Let's see. It's a ten game suspension for leaving the bench to enter a fight. What's the suspension for leaving the pressbox to enter a fight? 30 games?!?

It would have been worth it.
Lol, it would be worth it, considering Westgarth probably wont see 30 games this season.

Mully12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 02:45 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

I don't think Doughty's hit on Downie should have been a penalty. Downie touched the puck. He was fair game.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 02:54 AM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Seen Stamkos...

If you missed him, y'might wanna check Willie Mitchell's hip pocket 'cause Mitchy had him on lockdown ALL night.

What a game!

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 03:18 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
Seen Stamkos...

If you missed him, y'might wanna check Willie Mitchell's hip pocket 'cause Mitchy had him on lockdown ALL night.

What a game!
This is one of the reasons I feel TB really isn't one of the top teams. If you shut down the Stamkos/St. Louis (which isn't easy) duo they are not a very deep team and struggle. Now if Gagne can come back and bring life into VL they could be dangerous. Also their D/goaltending is questionable at the least.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 03:38 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Those first two periods had me falling asleep. That last one was worth the price of admission by itself.

Some things I've been thinking about:

First off, we've been shutting down a lot of top players.

Stamkos, St. Louis, Kovalchuk, Parise, Benn, Richards, Neal, Hossa, Kane, Toews, and Iginla have a combined three points against us.

Secondly, we've also knocked out a lot of players with injuries. Off the top of my head: Pardy, Bourque, Hossa, and Parise. I know there have been a few others.

This is a tough team to play against. Remember when we had all those cheesy mottos? "Play Hard." Finally...

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 04:16 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
This is a tough team to play against. Remember when we had all those cheesy mottos? "Play Hard." Finally...
This.

And it doesn't require a goon in there bogging down the 4th line.

The Kings are one first line winger away from being very legit cup contenders. There is not a better defense in the NHL.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 04:57 AM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

Times like these it sucks being a 2am-11am worker. X.x

And I request a gif of Mitchell bumping into Downie. Looked so funny.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 06:16 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Frozen Royalty Audio: Williams, Quick Lead LA Kings To 1-0 Win Over Tampa Bay

Frozen Royalty Audio And NHL Video: Williams, Quick Lead LA Kings To 1-0 Win Over Tampa Bay

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 06:37 AM
Habstract

If you have some spare time, go take a look on the game thread of last night on tampa bay's board.... Freaking hilarious!

Some of them called "great hit" Ohlunds dirty hit on Brown and asked for a game misconduct on Doughty against Downie.. HA HA

Great win btw, Still #1 in the league !!

Habstract is offline   Reply With Quote