HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto-Buffalo

Old
11-05-2010, 08:22 AM
81snipe

vCash: 800
Toronto-Buffalo

Toronto:

Carl Gunnarson (RFA 2011)
Luca Caputi (RFA 2011)
Maybe a Pick?

for

Buffalo:

Tim Connolly (4.5M UFA 2011)
Zack Kassian (ELC)

Essentially Leafs trade a good young defencemen in Gunnarson to gain an up-coming young power forward in Kassian, and get a play making C in Connolly who can hopefully help the offence, but do lose Caputi who's a decent prospect. And i Acknowledge Kassian recently signed a ELC but i just want to see what people think.
And i believe Buffalo has some young D ready to step in but i think Gunnar would help them now and is improving everyday.

I may be off but i just want some feedback on this idea, good or bad value? i guess we'll see haha.

81snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
You're not getting Kassian. Adam and Kassian will be players who can finally add some size to Buffalo's top-6. Buffalo is deep, organizationally, at defense, so Gunnarsson isn't as attractive to Buffalo as he'd be to other teams.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 08:29 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Sabres would never do it. Although I would love to have Kassian and Connolly can help short term (before he gets injured again)

hatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Sanderson

vCash: 500
That looks completely off to me.

Buffalo isn't going to give up Kassian and Connolly is one of their best scorers. In return they get a defenseman who looked good last year but not so much this year, plus a winger who isn't all that special when it comes to value. Even a pick won't balance that.

The mixture doesn't really make sense. If Buffalo would want to rebuild, they would give up older players, here they trade one UFA-to-be and one amazing prospect. The only way you even think about moving such a prospect, is if you are very close to the Cup, and that's far from where the Sabres are right now.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 08:33 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
Gunnarsson = Sekera. Not sure Buffalo has a need for another bottom-3 PMD.

Kassian > Caputi and valued much higher.

You'd definitely have to add a pick to get the Sabres listening.

Connolly I'm sure you can get by himself for pretty cheap. Not sure he's what Toronto really needs though.

Who knows, Toronto has a decent track record so far for taking ex-Sabre scrubs and turning them into decent players.

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 08:37 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
If Buffalo is going into rebuilding, why the living hell would they trade Kassian?

Connolly you can have. For free. Seriously, please take him

Kassian would require some massive overpayment.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 09:18 AM
jfb392

How many times can these two players be offered up?
It's the new Halak, Ryder, and a 2nd..

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 10:31 AM
seanlinden

The personnel involved in this make absolutely no sense....

1. Buffalo has a few young defencemen in their lineup. They really wouldn't be the kind of team to pay a premium for Gunnarsson.

2. Buffalo isn't packing in the season 12 games in (or however many they've played). If they're going to trade Tim Connolly (something I think they absolutely will look in to), it's going to be in a hockey deal where equal level talent is coming back to help them win games now.

3. Toronto really doesn't need Zack Kassian. He basically projects to be a player like Colby Armstrong, who we just signed. Buffalo does, because as another poster mentioned, they don't have much in the way of size up front.

4. Toronto problably isn't in a position to part with Gunnarsson for Connolly. Connolly wouldn't be the long term solution we need and in all likelyhood he'd basically be a long term rental. Gunnarsson is extremely important if Kaberle doesn't resign, and is by far our most valuable potentially expendable player. If Toronto's going to use him, they're going to have to do so in a deal that acquires a better player than Connolly.

5. $4.5m without significant salary going the ohter way would be a VERY tight squeeze for Toronto at this point in the season.

Toronto could offer something to the tune of Caputi (or preferably another forward prospect) + their 2nd for Connolly, but Buffalo shouldn't be interested in doing that.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 10:34 AM
HappyGilmourr

man this trade is so lopsided... thanks for making leaf fans look like idiots, the value is way off.

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 10:34 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

sabres say no, kassian won't be going anywhere barring massive overpayment.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Kassian is the one player who could save Buffalo from its toil of mediocrity which it has been experiencing over the last 4 years. So basically, you're not getting him.

If you want Connolly then the Sabres fans would gladly give him to you for free. Too bad our GM isn't a Sabres fan and could really care less if this team is a true contender or not.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 01:01 PM
rockinghockey

Kaissin is too valueable to Buffaloo. TO is not giving much up. TO has to find a team that needs dmen and I dont really thing Gunnarrson does not have as much trade value as people think.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 02:20 PM
81snipe

vCash: 800
[QUOTE=Bozak;28750709]man this trade is so lopsided... thanks for making leaf fans look like idiots, the value is way off.[/QUO

yea just wanted too see if there was basics for a trade here but i guess not, but thanks for the input bud.

81snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Cuse44

Kassian has more value then Gunnarson and Caputi combined. Where do Leaf fans come up with these proposals. And no we don't want Graboski and MaCarthur for Roy and Myers.

Cuse44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post

Toronto could offer something to the tune of Caputi (or preferably another forward prospect) + their 2nd for Connolly, but Buffalo shouldn't be interested in doing that.
Buffalo says no to the original proposal...

but this counter is definitely acceptable

Connolly
for
Caputi, 2nd

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 04:22 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Buffalo says no to the original proposal...

but this counter is definitely acceptable

Connolly
for
Caputi, 2nd
Even as a Leaf fan I can tell you this is a bad deal for Buffalo... they need to mix things up, not get rid of established talent.

Old
11-05-2010, 04:24 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81snipe View Post
Toronto:

Carl Gunnarson (RFA 2011)
Luca Caputi (RFA 2011)
Maybe a Pick?

for

Buffalo:

Tim Connolly (4.5M UFA 2011)
Zack Kassian (ELC)

Essentially Leafs trade a good young defencemen in Gunnarson to gain an up-coming young power forward in Kassian, and get a play making C in Connolly who can hopefully help the offence, but do lose Caputi who's a decent prospect. And i Acknowledge Kassian recently signed a ELC but i just want to see what people think.
And i believe Buffalo has some young D ready to step in but i think Gunnar would help them now and is improving everyday.

I may be off but i just want some feedback on this idea, good or bad value? i guess we'll see haha.
You'll never get Kassian from Buffalo, most likely no one will.
He is the type of player this team has missed the most.

Buffalo is going to be beast in another season or 2 "IF" and only if Regier can make the necessary adjustments on the roster this season (as in moving a piece or 2 from the "core" players of this team) as well as address a Center and RWer for the top 2 lines.

I see Luke Adam centering Zach Kassian (RW) and Tyler Ennis (LW) next season as the 3rd line.

Like I said, Kassian isn't going anywhere.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Even as a Leaf fan I can tell you this is a bad deal for Buffalo... they need to mix things up, not get rid of established talent.
If you post this trade on the Sabres board, you will get 40 responses, and 39 of them will be FOR the trade.

I think the Sabres fan base might just know a bit more about the on ice and internal factors associated with Tim Connolly.

but be my guest and continue to believe that you know it all.

Old
11-05-2010, 04:29 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
If you post this trade on the Sabres board, you will get 40 responses, and 39 of them will be FOR the trade.

I think the Sabres fan base might just know a bit more about the on ice and internal factors associated with Tim Connolly.

but be my guest and continue to believe that you know it all.
All fanbases tend to be polarized towards a player when they're playing poorly. Simple matter of fact is that the Sabres are not packing it in ~12 games into the season, Caputi would not help them win more games than Connolly would, and that $4m in cap space really couldn't be put to much good use, or a better use than Tim Connolly.

Old
11-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
All fanbases tend to be polarized towards a player when they're playing poorly. Simple matter of fact is that the Sabres are not packing it in ~12 games into the season, Caputi would not help them win more games than Connolly would, and that $4m in cap space really couldn't be put to much good use, or a better use than Tim Connolly.
Sometimes a players effort is in so much question that his removal is improvement by subtraction

Sometimes a players situation has him so down, that it hampers his ability on the ice.

Connolly left the lockerroom in tears after being ripped to shreds again by the press.

His time in Buffalo is over.

Buffalo would gladly take a 2nd round pick and move on... the fact that you offered Caputi is icing on the cake.

no backsies

Connolly has been injured or playing poorly for 80% of his career in Buffalo

Old
11-05-2010, 04:36 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Sometimes a players effort is in so much question that his removal is improvement by subtraction

Sometimes a players situation has him so down, that it hampers his ability on the ice.

Connolly left the lockerroom in tears after being ripped to shreds again by the press.

Buffalo would gladly take a 2nd round pick and move on... the fact that you offered Caputi is icing on the cake.

no backsies

THEN WHY Hasn't Connolly been dealt by now.... if the contract is up (even when injured, why did they keep extending it); if he's a FA after the season anyway, let him go

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
THEN WHY Hasn't Connolly been dealt by now.... if the contract is up (even when injured, why did they keep extending it); if he's a FA after the season anyway, let him go
If anyone offered anything close to what jfried proposed, he would be dealt.

At the season ending press conference, Regier alluded to trying to trade him ("maybe it's time to move on"). But clearly no one wants a 4.5 million dollar, injury prone, stickhandler.

It's the same thing with Afinogenov two trade deadlines ago... no one offered anything for him. Regier said he tried to trade him, and that basically, no one wanted him. He's still here, because no one else wants him.

They re-signed Connolly 2 years ago, because they had no one in the pipeline of on the roster who could play center. They've got Adam coming along, and they have bottom tier center depth on the roster. They also have the assets to make a secondary move to acquire a center to replace him.

Old
11-05-2010, 04:44 PM
rumman

Leafs need a playmaking centre, Sabres could use some veteran D help, therefore Connelly for Beauch, I'd rather offer Komi, but doubt Buffalo would want him at his price and term.

rumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 04:48 PM
seanlinden

Quote:

no backsies

That's a fans opinion...but the organization can't be making moves like that based on emotion. Buffalo needs to shake things up, but decreasing the talent level is not the way to do it.

Old
11-05-2010, 04:49 PM
upstater

Quote:
I agree with this. I as a Sabres fan have wanted Connolly out of town for quite some time.

Alot of people are saying that nobody wants to play for Buffalo so what does cap space really do for us?

upstater is offline   Reply With Quote