HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How has hockey helped your kid mature?

Old
11-04-2010, 11:12 AM
tkrichme

vCash: 500
How has hockey helped your kid mature?

My son is a goalie and first year Squirt. Since joining the travel team his grades in school have really improved. In fact his overall attitude and respect levels have improved as well. He loves hockey and the team he is a part of and respects his coaches tremendously. Of course he wants to make it to the NHL and we as parents want to support him. I think hockey is guiding him into maturing at an extraordinary level. Has anyone else experienced this in their children or with themselves? I think its fantastic and am trying to educate my wife on the benefits of hockey as a tool for personal growth for our son - because we all know hockey is expensive. And it is only going to get more expensive as we move on to more travel teams, etc.

Last edited by tkrichme: 11-04-2010 at 11:40 AM.
tkrichme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Crosbyfan

My son was struggling at school in grade 5 in the bottom of his class when he joined hockey. He now is probably one of the smartest and most mature in his grade 6 class...

of course, now he's eighteen...

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:48 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 2466
My goalie is 9 years old, playing first year of rep hockey 3 years of hockey total so far.
He is a gifted student, and things come to him easy and naturally which makes him a punk-arse-brat at times, and lazy at times too.

This year is the first time that he is being coached by someone that I have a friendship with and play hockey with. He has lost his respect for his coach and it has really effected his practice and his focus and effort level at lots of things.

All that said He shows up to games ready to play hard and win. At young ages there seems to be a curve in the respect, maturity, and focus levels.
We have a friend that is on corse to be drafted into the OHL next year and more than likely into the NHL 3 to 4 years after that. (he has 2 cousins playing in the NHL and other family that has coached, or where drafted) Any way he is a very good kid, and a very good hockey player but on occasion way to cocky for his own good.

The point I'm trying to get at is that yes there is huge benefits from playing sports, and there are some minor shortcomings that can come up from playing sports too. All in all I would say that I find myself using hockey as a blackmail tool (I'll take you out of hockey if (______)) to help him refocus on what is important for real life like homework, housekeeping (Keeping his bedroom and toy room picked up), and grooming (You know teeth, shower).

This may not be what you where looking for but it's my experience and I hope it help.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 02:27 PM
noobman

Fascinating. Half of the guys I grew up playing hockey with weren't that bright... some of them didn't even finish highschool

Y'all are raising some good kids, keep it up.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Blueshockey2*

I can attest to this (Even though I'm 24 now)..

My dad coached my team from when I was 7yrs old up through my senior year of high school. A-lot of the guys that I played with and was really good friends with when I was younger turned to drugs as we grew up, I eventually moved on from those guys and always used the reasoning "If my dad found out I'd lose my hockey"... So essentially hockey kept me away from getting in trouble with those guys and drugs/alcohol

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 03:50 PM
tkrichme

Thanks everyone. Now I just need to convince his Mom that its worth $4,000 per year, on top of everything else, to keep him in travel hockey as long as he is interested in playing. Here in Arizona ice hockey is quite popular and the level of talent among the kids gets better every year.

tkrichme is offline   Reply With Quote