HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Commodore activated, Holden back to Springfield

Old
11-06-2010, 11:47 AM
CBJCougar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
In looking at your lines I'd sit Stralman or Tyutin, when motivated Commodore is better defensively than either one. Commodore played well before getting his pinkie hurt so he may play well again.. That said, is all I want right now is as much veteran depth on defense as possible. We must hope Commodore will help this team.
Hmm. I don't think I'd sit Stralman because we need him on the PP. Would definately not sit Tyutin cause he is a solid worker. I agree with Crede. I love Commie (kiss, kiss, welcome back) but until he reacclimates himself to the game, especially this new Arny game of speed and skill, I think he might need some stand by/cheer us on from the bench kinda moments. Unless you wanna play him instead of Hejda? Give Jan a little more time to heal up before things get crazy.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 04:29 PM
cbj21

I like this dept. Defense seem very sold, knock on wood.

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:58 AM
CapnCornelius

If they don't play Commie at least a little, there's no chance of ever getting rid of that mammoth contract...even on re-entry waivers.

The way this situation is progressing, I think a buyout in the off-season is quite possible. Methot is likely going to be due a raise--he must be laughing now that they didn't give him more money on the long-term deal he wanted. Hejda is a UFA and a decision is going to have to be made there. Same for Stralman as an RFA again. Nick Holden looks like he's already ready to play in the NHL. And then there are all the other usual suspects in Syracuse.

I just don't see a reason to keep this guy on the team past this season when he doesn't seem to be able to play the new coach's game plan. If we can figure a way to get someone to take him on re-entry waivers instead of having to do a buyout, I say, go for it. Otherwise, buy him out quietly in the off-season.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
If they don't play Commie at least a little, there's no chance of ever getting rid of that mammoth contract...even on re-entry waivers.

The way this situation is progressing, I think a buyout in the off-season is quite possible. Methot is likely going to be due a raise--he must be laughing now that they didn't give him more money on the long-term deal he wanted. Hejda is a UFA and a decision is going to have to be made there. Same for Stralman as an RFA again. Nick Holden looks like he's already ready to play in the NHL. And then there are all the other usual suspects in Syracuse.

I just don't see a reason to keep this guy on the team past this season when he doesn't seem to be able to play the new coach's game plan. If we can figure a way to get someone to take him on re-entry waivers instead of having to do a buyout, I say, go for it. Otherwise, buy him out quietly in the off-season.
We've seen 2 games. Since the Night of the Thousand Breakaways that was the home opener, the team has placed an emphasis on blocking shots, with surprising success. That's traditionally been an area that Commodore has excelled at. I don't think it's totally crazy to say that Commodore might be able to find a niche this season.

11-08-2010, 12:14 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
We've seen 2 games. Since the Night of the Thousand Breakaways that was the home opener, the team has placed an emphasis on blocking shots, with surprising success. That's traditionally been an area that Commodore has excelled at. I don't think it's totally crazy to say that Commodore might be able to find a niche this season.
Word on the street is that Arniel is planning on giving him spot duty. He's found his role for this year--7th defenseman. That spot may not need filled in future seasons by a guy making $3.5 million.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 12:33 PM
blahblah

I sure hope we're coming up with better reasons to play Commie then because we think he can block a few shots. That's about as awesome as thinking Methot is perfect for Arniel's system because he might be fairly mobile.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Word on the street is that Arniel is planning on giving him spot duty. He's found his role for this year--7th defenseman. That spot may not need filled in future seasons by a guy making $3.5 million.
You're probably right but what if he turns his game around this season? Granted he isn't a great skater but with our inability to score more than 2 goals a game perhaps some veteran defense will allow us to tie or win a few in low scoring games.

I don't expect him to change much but he did look improved in the first couple of games.. If he tanks I'd try to buy him out next season.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I sure hope we're coming up with better reasons to play Commie then because we think he can block a few shots.
As of now, he's the 7th defenseman. Arniel, if anything, is loyal to his players and I don't see Commodore coming in until somebody gets injured.

More in regards to people automatically assuming that Commodore is guaranteed to look as bad as he did last year under Arniel.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
As of now, he's the 7th defenseman. Arniel, if anything, is loyal to his players and I don't see Commodore coming in until somebody gets injured.

More in regards to people automatically assuming that Commodore is guaranteed to look as bad as he did last year under Arniel.
You mean Hitch...I think.

Old
11-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Quote:
You mean Hitch...I think.
Not at all.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Not at all.
I get it now...

Old
11-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Quote:
I sure hope we're coming up with better reasons to play Commie then because we think he can block a few shots. That's about as awesome as thinking Methot is perfect for Arniel's system because he might be fairly mobile.
So then why has Methot been so great under Arniel's system?

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:28 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Is he and is he? We've gathered so much data in 13 games I guess.

Old
11-08-2010, 01:31 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
So then why has Methot been so great under Arniel's system?
Magical fairy dust.

I've give you a straight answer when you actually respond to what I actually said and not put your own baggage into the statement.

Old
11-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Magical fairy dust.

I've give you a straight answer when you actually respond to what I actually said and not put your own baggage into the statement.
Sure I'll address it. Commodore is to slow to play in this system. His shot blocking is great but it isn't good enough to make up for his speed. We've all seen this season the quickness the players need to get to the puck quickly in the corners in the defensive zone. For most of the game the puck has stayed out of our defensive zone and I don't think Commodore is going to be quicker than forwards at getting to loose pucks like the rest of our defenders do. Commy should ride the bench, and frankly I think Holden would be better suited for the 7th slot, and he probably would be if he were 26.

And I did respond do what you actually typed. You believe that those of us who felt that Methot was going to be great in this system only believed it because Methot was quick, which was not the case. I think it is sort of your way of dismissing others thoughts because you were so wrong about Methot. I'm sorry you have a problem admitting it.

Old
11-08-2010, 07:33 PM
blahblah

Quote:
And I did respond do what you actually typed. You believe that those of us who felt that Methot was going to be great in this system only believed it because Methot was quick, which was not the case. I think it is sort of your way of dismissing others thoughts because you were so wrong about Methot. I'm sorry you have a problem admitting it.
rofl... I've been saying all along that Methot is playing fairly well. Some other people said he was perfect for Anriel's system because of his uber mobility.

After all this time, you still don't get that I am not bashing Methot. I maintained what I said last year and the year before. His ceiling is probably a 3/4. There is nothing special about him. And there isn't.

I'm seeing a bunny....

I'm done with you.

Old
11-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Sure I'll address it. Commodore is to slow to play in this system. His shot blocking is great but it isn't good enough to make up for his speed. We've all seen this season the quickness the players need to get to the puck quickly in the corners in the defensive zone. For most of the game the puck has stayed out of our defensive zone and I don't think Commodore is going to be quicker than forwards at getting to loose pucks like the rest of our defenders do. Commy should ride the bench, and frankly I think Holden would be better suited for the 7th slot, and he probably would be if he were 26.

To his partial credit, that was the only concrete argument presented at the time (at least, the only one I can find).

In the meantime, I for one am hoping that Methot continues to keep feeding me this delicious diet of crow. It's surprisingly tasty. (Winning records make everything taste better.)

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Doug19

Quote:
rofl... I've been saying all along that Methot is playing fairly well. Some other people said he was perfect for Anriel's system because of his uber mobility.

After all this time, you still don't get that I am not bashing Methot. I maintained what I said last year and the year before. His ceiling is probably a 3/4. There is nothing special about him. And there isn't.

I'm seeing a bunny....

I'm done with you.
I'm sure you are done, until tomorrow when someone says they like your mom, and you then decide to spend the entire day arguing about how much your mom sucks.

Old
11-09-2010, 05:27 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:

I'm seeing a bunny....
Hi!

Having a ceiling at 3-4 doesn't mean Methot isn't "perfect" for Arniel's system. It also doesn't mean that Arniel's system only wants 3-4 d-men. I'll admit to being early to the "I think you'll like how Methot looks with this new coach" game. The position is hardly vindicated - I don't throw that stuff out to play gotcha games, and besides, Marc's played well in stretches before. I expect this time it's sustainable because of the "system" but primarily because he's coming of age.

Old
11-09-2010, 08:12 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Hi!

Having a ceiling at 3-4 doesn't mean Methot isn't "perfect" for Arniel's system. It also doesn't mean that Arniel's system only wants 3-4 d-men. I'll admit to being early to the "I think you'll like how Methot looks with this new coach" game. The position is hardly vindicated - I don't throw that stuff out to play gotcha games, and besides, Marc's played well in stretches before. I expect this time it's sustainable because of the "system" but primarily because he's coming of age.
He's playing pretty decent. So is Klesla who I wouldn't call mobile. I can't help it that some people around here think I don't like a player because I say he's nothing special. Hejda is nothing special, but has played well for us over the years for the most part.

These boards get over excited because we said we're going to go up tempo and have the defense pinch in. We suddenly think everyone who can skate is suddenly going to get a 30% increase in production or something.

Old
11-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
He's playing pretty decent. So is Klesla who I wouldn't call mobile. I can't help it that some people around here think I don't like a player because I say he's nothing special. Hejda is nothing special, but has played well for us over the years for the most part.
The best we got is the best we got.

Quote:
These boards get over excited because we said we're going to go up tempo and have the defense pinch in. We suddenly think everyone who can skate is suddenly going to get a 30% increase in production or something.
Fight the good fight.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:

Well, the pinching and skating has not really been a factor so far this season if that's what we need to get the puck up ice resulting in goals-we are near the bottom in that category.

On the contrary, the part of our game most of us thought would be our Armageddon is our strength, defense. We are ranked 9th in the league goals against, I know Garon is a part of that but someone on defense is playing a decent game of staying home, Methot and Klesla are two. I wouldn't mind seeing a healthy and improved Commodore back in the mix since that's the subject.

We need to get Russell and Stralman untracked for the offensive part of our defense as much as we need Filatov and Vermette to get going.. It could be a very interesting season if the team can get going on all cylinders. (rant over and I hope some of this relates to your post-if not-oh well.)

Old
11-09-2010, 09:14 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Well, the pinching and skating has not really been a factor so far this season if that's what we need to get the puck up ice resulting in goals-we are near the bottom in that category.

On the contrary, the part of our game most of us thought would be our Armageddon is our strength, defense. We are ranked 9th in the league goals against, I know Garon is a part of that but someone on defense is playing a decent game of staying home, Methot and Klesla are two. I wouldn't mind seeing a healthy and improved Commodore back in the mix since that's the subject.

We need to get Russell and Stralman untracked for the offensive part of our defense as much as we need Filatov and Vermette to get going.. It could be a very interesting season if the team can get going on all cylinders. (rant over and I hope some of this relates to your post-if not-oh well.)
Good post, Robert.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Good post, Robert.
I appreciate that, thank you.

Old
11-09-2010, 10:21 AM
blahblah

Quote:
We've certainly been getting chances off the rush. If you read the Dispatch article from today, you can see that Arniel is working on finishing. We've heard all this before, hopefully Arniel has better luck with the message being received.

Quote:
I'm not sure I thought the defensive zone play of our defense would be our bane, but at what point to we have too many stay-at-home guys? I'm not completely sure I'd call Methot a stay-at-home at this point. He's turning into a bit of a hybrid guy. If he makes good decisions on when to jump up, he'll continue to help us 5 on 5 and get up into the low 30's point wise. Based on what he's doing now, I'd be real surprised if he continues on this 40+ point pace.

Quote:
True, we need better performances pretty much everyone. But the players you named even more so.