Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Iginla offered to Kings?

Old
11-05-2010, 03:58 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
The flames would be stupid not to take that if LA was willing to accept it.

That is as good as it gets in terms of value, Although I could never see sutter making a proposal as such.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 04:19 PM
saillias

vCash: 50
Looking back to that supposed Iginla deal back in Sutter's first season... Something like Gagne, Pitkanen and a first? This deal really isn't that much different in terms of value only Iginla is much older and arguably less effective. I think it's too much on L.A.'s side.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Noori

Take this and run. This may have been what Calgary asked for but LA won't oblige.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Stifler

vCash: 500
Throw in someone like Staios as a salary dump and that's not a bad proposal actually.

Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
Take this and run. This may have been what Calgary asked for but LA won't oblige.
My thoughts exactly

I'll say this, if Iginla continues to play this way it is inevitable that he will be traded. I think the Phaneuf trade proves this as well.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 06:01 PM
MillerTime2181

How much does he have left in the tank? Is his recent play a result of the team/disinterested play, or something else? Iginla is still a very good hockey player and there aren't many more classy hate to see his name being dragged through the mud lately.

MillerTime2181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 07:11 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
I'm not buyin' this rumour at all.
Me neither. There were some rumblings that LA would be the first in line if Iginla is traded and I don't doubt it.

First piece to the package would be a young top 6 forward imo with good potential. Then add in the picks and prospects.

Maybe start with Wayne Simmonds (although probably more of a top 9 at this point). Stoll to off set salary.

Wayne Simmonds (1 year @ 820k)
Braydon Schenn (3 years @ 3.14M)
Jarrett Stoll (2 years @ 3.6M)
for
Jarome Iginla (4 years @ 7M)
Prospect

A top 6 forward, a young verge top 6 and a blue chip.

I do feel like I am being a little optimistic tho

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Nightfx

This would be great if we're rebuilding and turns LA into a real cup contender, the way we've been playing the last couple years i'd do this.

Nightfx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:36 PM
FLAMESTR

I talked to the Kings beat writer through twitter she Dm me and said he doubts there is any truth to but you can never tell.

FLAMESTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 12:12 AM
The Gaud Father

Schenn, Hickey and 1st for Iginla and it's done lol.

The Gaud Father is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Complacent Iggy

It's about two years too late to trade Iggy. The Flames should just keep him till he's done with his contract to preserve his legacy as the greatest Flame of all time. It's just too bad he never had anyone to play with, like ever.

Complacent Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 06:03 PM
goodsauce

I like simmonds, and schenn. And LA is a high contender, and Iggy realyl deserves a cup, so it would be awesome to see Iggy go to LA, and based on this rumor, it seems the Kings are willing to return the most value, so I say maybe the proposal flames123 made might be fair.

or something like this.

to CGY:

Wayne Simmonds

Brayden Schenn

Brandon Kozun (Come on you know you loved him on the hitmen)

pick (Conditional or 2nd?)

to LA

Iginla

Pelech OR another prospect.

4th

Thoughts?

goodsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 06:11 PM
tfong

I' do that, I like Kozun

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 06:17 PM
goodsauce

maybe throw a guy like mitch wahl in there, make the value even?

goodsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 06:50 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by artysmith View Post
maybe throw a guy like mitch wahl in there, make the value even?
You are over valuing Iggy in your trade. You need to remember that from other team's eyes, Iggy has 2 goals in like his last 15 games or something and only had 30 last year.

They won't give up Simmonds and Schenn and Kozun and a pick.

Wahl cancels out Kozun, so not sure why you would do that, Wahl is bigger too.

Old
11-07-2010, 01:38 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
You are over valuing Iggy in your trade. You need to remember that from other team's eyes, Iggy has 2 goals in like his last 15 games or something and only had 30 last year.

you are clueless... if you think a team will only look at his last 15 games you are ridiculous... what they will look at is his reputation of being one of the greatest leasders of the past decade... the fact his worse season over the past decade was 32 goals... that he is just shy of a point per game over his playoff career... that he has been instrumental in 2 gold medal games... whether you can grasp it or not a players past means alot in a trade

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:13 AM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
you are clueless... if you think a team will only look at his last 15 games you are ridiculous... what they will look at is his reputation of being one of the greatest leasders of the past decade... the fact his worse season over the past decade was 32 goals... that he is just shy of a point per game over his playoff career... that he has been instrumental in 2 gold medal games... whether you can grasp it or not a players past means alot in a trade
I think in this case Iginla will be seen as over the hill and a declining commodity. His quantity of past will certainly trump the quality of past he's had with the Flames.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:39 AM
slappipappi

Quote:
I agree that aplayer's past means alot, but only if the team trading for that player beleives that past will somehow match up with his present and future.

If Iggy is traded during his (present) ongoing slump, his past won't mean as much as you think.

At $7M over the next 2+ years, there is little chance that Iggy wilol play up to his contract over that time period.

In a cap world, where teams (especially contending teams) have only a certain amount of money to play with, you can't afford to have too many players playing beneath their contract if you want to contned.

Since Iggy is almost guaranteed to play beneath his contract, it seems doubtful that any team will give up a slew of prospects/draft picks for that privledge.

Now, if Iggy was playing like a 40 goal scorer, that might be different. But teams will want to see that production before they give up any real talent.

Both Thornton and Phaneuf brought in some average type players with real cap hits. There wasn't one propsect or draft pick involved. And both Thornton and Phaneuf had more trade value than Iggy does right now.

Welcome to a cap world.

BTW, Iggy wasn't instrumental in the last Olympics. He scored 5 goals in games vs. the two crappy teams, and little else. Sure he was the placeholder for the winning goal, but it overshawdows the fact he was benched for most of the 3rd period in that game.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanford and Sons View Post
I think in this case Iginla will be seen as over the hill and a declining commodity. His quantity of past will certainly trump the quality of past he's had with the Flames.
The people that are saying that Iginla is a declining commodity are the media, most GM's in the NHL are not that stupid. If Iginla had a proper supporting cast to play with, I would agrue that he would still among the top 10 in scoring in the NHL. Factor in his leadership and other intagilbles that follow Jarome and he still has plently of trade value. Again, an intelligent GM knows what adding a player of Iginla's caliber could do for their hockey club, it could put them over the top to win a Cup.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
I agree that aplayer's past means alot, but only if the team trading for that player beleives that past will somehow match up with his present and future.

If Iggy is traded during his (present) ongoing slump, his past won't mean as much as you think.

At $7M over the next 2+ years, there is little chance that Iggy wilol play up to his contract over that time period.

In a cap world, where teams (especially contending teams) have only a certain amount of money to play with, you can't afford to have too many players playing beneath their contract if you want to contned.

Since Iggy is almost guaranteed to play beneath his contract, it seems doubtful that any team will give up a slew of prospects/draft picks for that privledge.

Now, if Iggy was playing like a 40 goal scorer, that might be different. But teams will want to see that production before they give up any real talent.

Both Thornton and Phaneuf brought in some average type players with real cap hits. There wasn't one propsect or draft pick involved. And both Thornton and Phaneuf had more trade value than Iggy does right now.

Welcome to a cap world.

BTW, Iggy wasn't instrumental in the last Olympics. He scored 5 goals in games vs. the two crappy teams, and little else. Sure he was the placeholder for the winning goal, but it overshawdows the fact he was benched for most of the 3rd period in that game.
so you're saying he was benched for the entire 3rd period yet still played 15+ minutes... he must have been leading in icetime the other periods if thats the case if you consider that even Crosby was under 17 minutes... and I said nothing for you to debate the rest of the tourney... he was instumental in that gold medal game whether you want to admit it or not... even if he was invisible the rest of the game it was a prime example of a great player making a great play at a big moment... alot of players never show that ability

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:07 AM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
The people that are saying that Iginla is a declining commodity are the media, most GM's in the NHL are not that stupid.
He's a 33 year old power forward who, after falling apart in the second half of the season last year, seems to be following the same trend this year. He's a declining commodity because he's peaked. Players usually don't get better when they get close to 35, most GM's in the NHL aren't that stupid.

Quote:
If Iginla had a proper supporting cast to play with, I would agrue that he would still among the top 10 in scoring in the NHL.
GM's usually don't take on a 7 million cap hit (with 3 years left I think) with the idea in mind that they'll have to spend another 5-7 million just to make a player effective. While it isn't always a bad thing for a player to need high quality line mates to be among the best in the NHL, it should reduce the trade value when a change in support cast causes such a stark change in performance.

Quote:
Factor in his leadership and other intagilbles that follow Jarome and he still has plently of trade value. Again, an intelligent GM knows what adding a player of Iginla's caliber could do for their hockey club, it could put them over the top to win a Cup.
Jarome is also a nice guy and has a great smile, which would make him more popular certainly but his intangibles are overrated. Where were they last season when the team desperately needed offense in the second half? Where were the intangibles that Iginla brings in the last four games? Non existent.

When the captain is the difference between the team placing 5th or 10th in the previous season and now the difference between 3rd and 13th, their intangibles are not worth mentioning.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:41 AM
tfong

Quote:
So you think Iggy is worth

Quote:
They won't give up Simmonds and Schenn and Kozun and 2nd or higher pick.
??? Pretty sure the Kings don't see it this way.

If not then my statement would prove true. A player's current performance has a major impact on their trade value. Nobody said to forget who Iggy is, he isn't just a random name, but it is the same as playing the stocks. Stock past histories are taken into account but current trade value and recent trends affect the stock price heavily on the board and in realized value.

Several years ago, Flames fans would've demanded Malkin or Crosby or something similiar in order to move Iginla. You know what? If he was 10g-10a right now, we would still be asking for that as a price.

You are the one that is clueless if you took my statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong

and out of that you decided, hey tfong only looks at the last 15 games.

Please note I said "You need to remember..." not "Teams look exclusively at the last 15 games..." if you want to argue semantics. I would assume you would have realized this without me having to write an abstract of Iginla's last few years in the NHL before going into my statement.

Quote:
The people that are saying that Iginla is a declining commodity are the media, most GM's in the NHL are not that stupid. If Iginla had a proper supporting cast to play with, I would agrue that he would still among the top 10 in scoring in the NHL. Factor in his leadership and other intagilbles that follow Jarome and he still has plently of trade value. Again, an intelligent GM knows what adding a player of Iginla's caliber could do for their hockey club, it could put them over the top to win a Cup.
To be fair, we've been saying that since 2003/2004 though. To note, I think the way Iginla is playing right now, even Crosby can't get him 50 goals again. He has to get back to the gritty style he played a few seasons back to be truly effective. Sure if he was at his current point totals but he was top 5 in hits or blocking or something (takeaways?) then you obviously would get much greater value out of him regardless of point totals. I mean Dustin Brown prob has more trade value than Iggy right now and they are just 1 point apart with Brown having a less distinguished career sofar. But the guy is also 2nd in hits for the league! Now here is a guy bringing things to the table outside of scoring. Ironically he plays the style that Iggy no longer has played in the last few years.

Last edited by tfong: 11-07-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old
11-07-2010, 01:26 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
If Iginla had a proper supporting cast to play with, I would agrue that he would still among the top 10 in scoring in the NHL.
Rick Nash has been a top player the NHL for years with no supoorting cast.

Great players make their teammates better.

Yet Iggy, supposedly on the NHL's top players, need some star like Crosby feeding him the puck to make him productive.

Iggy should be the one who's making his linemates better. Otherwise, he's just a supporting player.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 01:26 PM
saillias

Iginla is hitting out there. He has more recorded hits than any other forward on our team except Glencross.

I see the problem as him dropping weight to compensate for losing a step. He's lost some strength and it affects his ability to be strong on the puck. If he were an inch or two taller, he could stay at a slightly higher weight and maintain speed. 6'1" is a bit short for a powerforward. He can't be 220+ at that height, like Bill Guerin or Keith Tkachuk in their day.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 07:17 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Iginla is hitting out there. He has more recorded hits than any other forward on our team except Glencross.

I see the problem as him dropping weight to compensate for losing a step. He's lost some strength and it affects his ability to be strong on the puck. If he were an inch or two taller, he could stay at a slightly higher weight and maintain speed. 6'1" is a bit short for a powerforward. He can't be 220+ at that height, like Bill Guerin or Keith Tkachuk in their day.
Yahoo stats says he has made 21 hits. Thats not even in the top 100 of the leagues players.

Dustin Brown is in the 50s

On the other hand if our team has so few recorded hits maybe thats why opposing teams are able to walk over us.