Notices

Iginla offered to Kings?

Old
12-04-2010, 06:37 PM
no name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Lombardi definitely realizes that. The Kings fans hold Simmonds value really high to their team and do not want to part with him. However, if Iginla is traded this is type of young roster player that would be sought after as part of the package. If a deal did go down with the Kings, Schenn would be the one player that I think the trade would need to be focused around. He may not end up being that elite play making centre, but at the very least he would be an excellent #2 with #1 potential. Plus he is a character guy, he would be a good young core player to build around. I would be happy moving forward with having Schenn and Backlund down the middle.
As a Kings fan I wouldn't be opposed to a trade centered around Simmonds. Simmonds has been compared to a poor mans Iginla and he hasn't even come close to realising his offensive ability.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 06:47 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck91 View Post
This perception is pretty common on HF, and it's completely false.

For example, Toronto traded two firsts and a second for Phil Kessel. Yeah he's young, but he's not as good as Iginla is now and will never be as good as Iginla was in his prime. If you want an example of an older player, I believe Pronger landed 2 firsts as well.

So Iginla, who on the Kings could very well be the difference between a really good team and a Championship team, is worth a top prospect at least. And quite frankly, the Kings know what they're getting with Iginla. As much potential as Schenn has, he has 2 assists in 9 games in the NHL. You never know if a player will be as good as you hope he'll be.
Those are terrible comparisons. Kessel had to be traded and they didn't know what position the first rounders would be. Plus Kessel is just entering his prime. Pronger is a top 15 Dman of all time (still top 3 in todays game), is still very productive and puts his team over the top or close every year.

Iginla has a terrible contract and has been on the decline. Add those together and you lose a ton of value. Hense, me saying all things considered. Any team who would make that trade is taking a huge risk that Iggy rejuvinates himself and makes it last for another two an one half years.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 08:18 PM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Iginla has a terrible contract and has been on the decline. Add those together and you lose a ton of value. Hense, me saying all things considered. Any team who would make that trade is taking a huge risk that Iggy rejuvinates himself and makes it last for another two an one half years.
Aside from repeating an argument I made about Iginla's trade value previously, you added that Iginla has a terrible contract. It might be your use of the word in particular but Iginla's contract is still the second best bang for buck on this team, even if he's not completely playing up to it, he's not a terrible contract hit. If he was, the only reason for the Flames to keep him would be a lack of interest.

Admittedly, when I made the argument, I was imposing Sutter's propensity to acquire past prime vets over promising talent when I made the claim that a single 60+ point forward (that said player would be included in a package was implied) for Iginla would be a good return. Still, I really doubt that Iginla would get Schen plus anything else without something juicy thrown in. He has shown some youth this season but his trade value is on the decline and, depending on this season's performance, the Flames might not get anything worthwhile out of it. Ultimately, I am skeptical that there is a GM willing to acquire Iginla for a price that's worth the loss to this team.

I am interested to see if Lombardi is willing, his pursuit of Kovalchuk in the off season implies a sense of urgency somewhat tempered with good sense. Not because Kovalchuk would have the same performance this year as a King (he wouldn't) but the ridiculous contract length the Devils gave him. If his urgency gets the better of him he may look the fool in a Kings/Flames trade. Even then, it would take a lot to make a move as potentially bad as the 100mil contract for Kovalchuk.

Edit: As I check this for errors I realize the vain hope that Sutter, who has been hosed by multiple GMs (Tambellini, Sather, Burke....), that the chances of a good return for Iginla are further hurt by Sutter's incessant need to acquire more over the hill experience at the expense of future talent. That is the biggest thing getting in the way of value for Iginla.

Last edited by ArizonaGreenTea: 12-04-2010 at 08:25 PM.
ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 08:36 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanford and Sons View Post
Aside from repeating an argument I made about Iginla's trade value previously, you added that Iginla has a terrible contract. It might be your use of the word in particular but Iginla's contract is still the second best bang for buck on this team, even if he's not completely playing up to it, he's not a terrible contract hit.
Iggy at $7M is terrible. On Calagry the following players, offhand, play closer to their contract value.

Kipper
J-Bow
Gio
Bork
Stajan
Hagman

And pretty much everyone else.

He's likely a $3M player now.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:31 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 50
$3 million for Iginla would be the steal of the century. A guy who consistently leads his team in points should not earn 5% of the team salary.

Let's put it this way. Last year Iginla scored 15% of his teams goals, and took about 12% of the team's total salary.

Ovechkin also took 15% of his teams goals, and took 18% of the team's total salary.

I'm not saying Iginla is better than Ovechkin or is of better value than Ovechkin... but you would never say Ovechkin is a $4.5 million player. There is a lot of hockey talk in Calgary, but I've never heard anyone complain that Iggy is making too much money, taking up too much cap space, not earning his salary, etc. He's only underachieving slightly, and he's got 12 points in his last 9. Iginla's salary should not be off concern for a team looking to trade for him, especially if the team has the space, since it would be prorated.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
Iggy at $7M is terrible. On Calagry the following players, offhand, play closer to their contract value.

Kipper
J-Bow
Gio
Bork
Stajan
Hagman

So, if I understand this correctly...
Iginla @ $3 million < Stajan @ $3.5 million or Bourque @ $3.3 million
Iginla @ $3 million = Hagman @ $3 million

I'm not saying he's worth every penny of $7 million, but he's worth at least $4-6 when you consider he'll bring 35-ish goals and 70-ish points. Among other intangibles...

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 10:02 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
I'm not saying he's worth every penny of $7 million, but he's worth at least $4-6 when you consider he'll bring 35-ish goals and 70-ish points. Among other intangibles...

No doubt about it.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Langkow, Huselius and Conroy also had career best years playing with Iginla
Donovan played some of his best hockey with Conroy and Iggy. Same thing with McAmmond.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 07:32 AM
666Orion666

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post

Kipper
J-Bow
Gio
Bork
Stajan
Hagman

Are you serious, Iggy is one of the best all round players in the nhl today, any team would love to have this guy. How many points does Toews have right now=22, Iggy=22 Toews 6.3mill Iggy 7mill not much of adifference there plus Iggy got off to a bad start.

666Orion666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 10:10 AM
cgychieffan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Whats the point of cap relief when you trade away your captain but not the other pieces like Joker and Staios?

Heres the point that i dont think many people are getting.. if there is little confidence in us leap-frogging 7 teams to get into the playoffs (which there should be) and the team is goin to try to rebuild.. it only harms the team to keep on a declining asset that takes up the most cap space.. (Sundin/Leafs). trading him away will give you cap space and some youth that doesn't take up cap space, in essence allowing you more flexibility in drafting and signing of free agents.

Im interested in hearing the rebuttals.. why is it good for the flames to keep Iggy? and what would we do with the team goin forward to ensure we have a cup contender?

cgychieffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 12:01 PM
GoFlames

Quote:

Yup. Iginla < Stajan by that other poster is ****ing hilarious in a pathetic sort of way.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

I am willing to bet that whatever L.A. offers Boston can trump and Iginla would waive his NTC to play with his buddies Lucic, Savard and Bergeron.

I post this every couple months to Calgary fans and it is interesting to see the changes in opinion as he ages.

To CGY:

RW Michael Ryder
1st Round 2011 (Toronto)
C Joe Colborne
D Andrew Ference

To BOS:

RW Iginla

Obviously Ryder and Ference are there for cap reason but can both contribute for this season and Ference for next season. The big pieces are the Leafs 1st and Colborne who would make the team out of camp and could probably play right now for the Flames.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

The move also gives Calgary 2 picks in the top ten with chances of both being top 5 area in this years draft.

Next season Calgary would have the two picks from this year and Colborne. Now that is a good start to a rebuild!

Old
12-05-2010, 08:40 PM
WebSlinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
I am willing to bet that whatever L.A. offers Boston can trump and Iginla would waive his NTC to play with his buddies Lucic, Savard and Bergeron.

I post this every couple months to Calgary fans and it is interesting to see the changes in opinion as he ages.

To CGY:

RW Michael Ryder
1st Round 2011 (Toronto)
C Joe Colborne
D Andrew Ference

To BOS:

RW Iginla

Obviously Ryder and Ference are there for cap reason but can both contribute for this season and Ference for next season. The big pieces are the Leafs 1st and Colborne who would make the team out of camp and could probably play right now for the Flames.

Thoughts?

Cheers
Whilst I'd cry due to the departure of Iginla, I'd also applaud the return... Very future conscious and maintains a solid offense.

WebSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlinger View Post
Whilst I'd cry due to the departure of Iginla, I'd also applaud the return... Very future conscious and maintains a solid offense.
Have to give to get and Boston is giving fail value in my opinion while getting Iginla a shot with a contender without the pressure of the city and captaincy.

Old
12-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 704
Quote:

To CGY:

RW Michael Ryder
1st Round 2011 (Toronto)
C Joe Colborne
D Andrew Ference

To BOS:

RW Iginla

Thoughts?

Cheers
The return is about right. Needs tweaking to even out cap hits and contract numbers but its close.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
The return is about right. Needs tweaking to even out cap hits and contract numbers but its close.
Thanks! Boston would probably move Paille to make the numbers fit on Boston's end and Calgary actually sheds about 800k in the deal.

For me it was about posting real value to Calgary that helps address their current needs and plan. I don't see the LA deal matching this proposal and what other teams would realistically be able to offer a lottery pick+ and be somewhere Iginla would waive to go to?

Old
12-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:

To CGY:

RW Michael Ryder
1st Round 2011 (Toronto)
C Joe Colborne
D Andrew Ference

To BOS:

RW Iginla

Thoughts?

Cheers
If Iginla does go, this would definitely be one of the best available offers. TO's draft pick and Colborne alone would almost make me want to sign off on this deal.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:

To CGY:

RW Michael Ryder
1st Round 2011 (Toronto)
C Joe Colborne
D Andrew Ference

To BOS:

RW Iginla

Thoughts?

Cheers
I'd take this but the Flames would have to add contracts as they are at the 50 contract limit

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 09:37 PM
bananaz

Quote:

To CGY:

RW Michael Ryder
1st Round 2011 (Toronto)
C Joe Colborne
D Andrew Ference

To BOS:

RW Iginla

Thoughts?

Cheers
Not a chance Boston offers Toronto's 1st, especially when Chia has the chance to take Ryan Murray which addresses a huge organizational need.

bananaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 10:17 PM
GoFlames

If Toronto's first round is involoved great... that gets us back to the rumours this past summer, Iginla to Boston for Toronto's first etc.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:15 AM
BurnEmUp

Quote:

To CGY:

RW Michael Ryder
1st Round 2011 (Toronto)
C Joe Colborne
D Andrew Ference

To BOS:

RW Iginla

Thoughts?

Cheers

That would be a great start to a rebuild for the Flames no doubt....especially if the Flames stayed where they are in the standings, or even dropped.

Potentially two lottery picks at the same draft, plus Colborne.

Could also potentially bring in even more picks/prospects by selling off players like Tanguay, Morrison, Glencross, Ryder, Babchuck and even Staios at the deadline to contenders.

Would really hate to see Iggy in another uniform, but I like Boston and he'd have a legitimate shot at a Cup there.

BurnEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 09:37 AM
getoverit

X2 no doubt about it. Remember he signed at a discount at the time. What 9 years 30+ goals each year, talk about consistency. he is far from done, would be fun to watch on a team that has talent Flames do not have a history in having their fan favourite/ talent stick around. Still fuming over the Gilmour trade LOL!!!!!

Quote:

getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:

To CGY:

RW Michael Ryder
1st Round 2011 (Toronto)
C Joe Colborne
D Andrew Ference

To BOS:

RW Iginla

Thoughts?

Cheers
I think this is a fair and well-thought-out proposal. Good job here, it addresses both teams' needs. Iginla on Boston makes them a very real threat for the Cup this year.

Only one problem - Calgary would need to send two contract somewhere else first. We are at the 50-contract limit as is. It'd be interesting if we could get picks for two of Tanguay / Staios / Pardy / Sarich / Glencross / Jokinen / Jackman / Kosto.

Ice Cream Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Bobs your uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
This deal can't be consummated. The Flames have the maximum number of contracts allowed (50). They couldn't take on three more contracts even if they wanted to.
Secondly, why would the Kings take on $7 million for 2 1/2 more years while sending the Flames virtually none back?
It’s going to take a couple years to undo this mess here in Calgary.

Last edited by Bobs your uncle: 12-06-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Bobs your uncle is offline   Reply With Quote