HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

For the LOVE OF GOD, it's Benoit... (Benoit Pouliot Appreciation Thread)

Old
11-06-2010, 10:45 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Pouliot contributed A LOT to us making the playoffs last year.

I guess we were ''done''

People forget that Pouliot was a force last year before his injuries. I'm impressed he can be productive playing on a third line.
Exactly give the guy a break he's been really good he deserves the thread and not just because he scored two goals last night, because he's been the best offensive player in our bottom six, he's been hitting, he's been getting in the right places. He's been a better all around player this year.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Loner

I'm still not sold on Pouliot and I still don't understand why he was taken fourth overall, yes he have a good skills set but he look pretty average in everything, his best asset is speed but he have trouble staying on his feet.

So far he only shown that he's a streaky goal scorer. Latendresse have better raw talent, I could even say that Sergei, outside of attitude, have better raw talent.

If Pouliot can put his things together I would be very happy though.

Loner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Just saying you've already deluded yourself into being totally bias that you would be completely unwilling to accept anyone elses opinion on the matter. You're a pro-Lats extemist, what the heck is even the point of discussing it even if you're proven wrong you won't admit it.

But frankly I think 5 years from now Pouliot >>>>> Lats.

You also seem to know a lot about what Kriss believes citing that he didn't follow stuff you couldn't possibly known if he did or not just making assumptions like you have about the Lats story in general when other people are going based off of facts.
As far as I'm concerned, all that matters is that Pouliot has played better than Latendresse has ever played for our club.

I liked Latendresse, but his attitude, work ethic and sense of entitlement got him kicked out of Montreal. He brought this upon himself. He definitley has more offensive talent, but Pouliot has the better attitude. Latendresse got called out on another team for being lazy and out of shape.

Latendresse for Pouliot may not have been the best trade, but it was one we needed to make because I don't Latendresse would have ever developed here, especially under Martin's really strict system which required you to be at top form(in shape) and requires constant backchecking. Latendresse wasn't the only victim of Martin's demands, Pacioretty, Andrei, Sergei, Chipchura and D;agostini all exeprienced it. All were moved except Andrei and Pacioretty.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 10:53 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Pouliot contributed A LOT to us making the playoffs last year.

I guess we were ''done''

People forget that Pouliot was a force last year before his injuries. I'm impressed he can be productive playing on a third line.
BUDDY wake up and smell the coffee

Pouliot to us is like Talbot to Pittsburgh

if the Pens have to rely on Talbot to be core player thats terrible

our top 5 forwards make nearly 28 mil and 1/2 our cap for Pete`s sake

if they dont produce I dont care what Benny does because he is not a key guy on this roster

our core is our problem ...too much money ....and we have no avenue to maneuvre out of this

this is why the Markov situation is so delicate ....do you throw away big bucks to an aging beat up vet ???? are we contenders ???

Look at the Flames .....waited too long to do anything and paid too much to the wrong guy and kept players longer than they should .....I hope we dont become them

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:06 AM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Wong View Post
BP is working hard and is starting to be rewarded. I don't think he realizes how good he could be if keeps working even harder.
BINGO!!!

The EXACT THING that Benny's dad tried to get him to see while he was still here.

Benny has within him the God given gifts, physical and otherwise, to be a special player in this league if he wants...it was refreshing to see him wanting the hatty last night...Giant steps are being taken right now!

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:08 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
You seem to know an awful lot on the subject, no offense but a little too much. Either you really are making stuff up or you're just deluded. Some of that information you couldn't possibly know unless you knew Lats yourself.
Well thank you for telling me I'm deluded or a liar. That's really great. You didn't leave me much choice there did you...

You know what they say about people who assume things right ?

Maybe you forgot a 3rd possibility...

That I didn't put my head in the sand and actually watched an interview Latendresse gave on RDS where he explained in details what happened... nah that couldn't be it. I'm either delusional or a liar. Yep.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
You're completely wrong about everything.

You are not aware of what happened, you didn't follow it because you don't care. You assumed everything because it all fits nicely in your little box, and I'm fine with it. I don't care that you don't care. But it annoys me that people make up stuff. At least be aware of what happened.

Latendresse didn't get traded because he was sleeping 30 min before game time in a game he was playing in.

Latendresse was told he wouldn't play. Latendresse was told WAY before that game that he was going to be TRADED soon. But unfortunately for everyone, the deal fell through. They had been working on trading him since the start of the season.

Martin had thrown in the towel a long time before that. You think Latendresse gave 2 ***** about redeeming himself to the habs and Martin at that point ? There were no point since he was going to get traded anyway.

And then there's this :

He never was tried with top 6 players.

Once he was tried with Gomez and Gionta in pre-season for one period.

And he played two games with Lapierre + Plekanec AFTER he was told he was going to be traded. Two games in which he got 2 pts btw but was swiftly demoted. Couldn't have him score points with good players, that would thrown a wrench in the whole "Latendresse is useless, let's trade him, Bob" plan.

You can say whatever you want about Latendersse not deserving it and convince yourself of it if you want... but the bottom line is that Martin didn't like him and he was voted off the island somewhere between training camp and the first 5 games of the season. The shift charts on every website imaginable are there to back me up on this so don't go ahead and make stuff up that he was given a million chances but didn't take them because that's just wrong.

Last post about Latendresse, don't bother replying in this thread, you can PM me if you want but meh, don't really feel like having this discussion with people not willing to face the facts because they already have their own opinion all made up.
I think you're the one trying to convince yourself of this. The truth is that he never showed up in good shape (again this year with Minny) and never deserved a shot at the top 6 because of that, and that is why Martin never liked him. Habs constently told him to work harder over the years, but he never did. Those are the facts and nothing else, and they are well documented. Stop making up excuses for Fatendresse. He got what he deserved and he's getting it again this year in Minny by being demoted to the bottom lines.
Pouliot >>> Latendresse any day. Pouliot showed up in shape this year, not Fatendresse...again!

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Well thank you for telling me I'm deluded or a liar. That's really great. You didn't leave me much choice there did you...

That I didn't put my head in the sand and actually watched an interview Latendresse gave on RDS where he explained in details what happened... nah that couldn't be it. I'm either delusional or a liar. Yep.
Like Latendresse is known for telling the truth and admiting is own errors. He always blames other people...its never is fault. You actually think Fatendresse will say on RDS that the Habs told him for 4 years to be in better shape but he was too lazy to work hard for it. Its well documented that he almost never showed up to his summer power skating lessons the Habs wanted him to attend. He also was a bad training influence on Lapierre, which is also a reason why he was traded away.

Don't ever take at face value what a player says, especially a well known liar like Fatendresse that can't admit his own mistakes and flaws. He just balmed everyone else except him and you actuallt bought that? WOW!

Old
11-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Pouliot has a lot of talent, and barely any experience in the NHL. He's going to be a good one. The hate is mind boggling.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 12:04 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
BUDDY wake up and smell the coffee

Pouliot to us is like Talbot to Pittsburgh

if the Pens have to rely on Talbot to be core player thats terrible

our top 5 forwards make nearly 28 mil and 1/2 our cap for Pete`s sake

if they dont produce I dont care what Benny does because he is not a key guy on this roster

our core is our problem ...too much money ....and we have no avenue to maneuvre out of this

this is why the Markov situation is so delicate ....do you throw away big bucks to an aging beat up vet ???? are we contenders ???

Look at the Flames .....waited too long to do anything and paid too much to the wrong guy and kept players longer than they should .....I hope we dont become them
I don't really see the comparison between Talbot and Pouliot... Talbot is a bottom6 guy that has to play top6 with world class players because his team lacks depth and still manages to have a career high of 13 goals. Pouliot is a skill player on a bottom six that manages to produce. On a top6 role, while healthy, he produced at 0.5gpg rate.

Oh and Markov has at least 4 or 5 good years ahead of him

Like it or not we should have a similar core in the next few years.

We have a window to be a contender if some of our young players become impact players while being cheap (like Subban... in the future these will be guys like Kristo and Leblanc). The same can be said for 99% of all teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner
I'm still not sold on Pouliot and I still don't understand why he was taken fourth overall, yes he have a good skills set but he look pretty average in everything, his best asset is speed but he have trouble staying on his feet.
The same can be said for many good players. Semin is pretty average in a lot of team but he's very fast and has an awesome shot. Thats it.

Pouliot is average in some things but he has redeeming qualities that are hard to find :

He's big
He has good scoring instincts
He's fast

If he corrects some of his flaws he can become a real good top6 players. He's already more complete than last year imho and perhaps this is the motivation in having him play with Halpern now that he's the offensive dinamo of his line playing with a responsible player he can learn from.

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 11-06-2010 at 12:10 PM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
Pouliot has a lot of talent, and barely any experience in the NHL. He's going to be a good one. The hate is mind boggling.
Omg Beaker thank You!

Latendresse played three full nhl seasons before Benoit Pouliot got to play one half nhl season.

Seriously guys, he's a 23 year old top 6 winger that is still developing and who has improved his game by leaps and bounds from last year. I already mentioned three areas which he improved that he wasn't able to do last year.

1. Carry the puck, without losing it.
2. Create his own chances
3. Create chances for others.

Here's more...

4. His physical game is 10x what it was last year...it still can use work, but there has been a clear improvement
5. His work ethic is much, much better than last year.
6. His defensive game is starting to come around.

Old
11-06-2010, 12:26 PM
twoism

for the record, I supported Pouliot from the beginning

twoism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 12:33 PM
coolasprICE

I don't doubt that Pouliot can score 20 in this league but what I want to know is if he's a real gamer or not. I want to see him produce in big games... instead of him playing like casper like in the PO last year.

Sure he's useful to have, he'll get hot and score goals against flaky opponents and help us get our 2 points when they're easy taking ... he helps us get to the playoffs but the real question is can he help us IN the playoffs (or against contenders during the RS).

scoring 2 against the pathetic Sabres who have yet to win a game at home on Patick I can't believe he got a contract Lalime isn't enough to convince me

If he can play like last night when we face the Flyers, Bruins or any big game than I'll be a full believer...

Until then, I'll continue to see him as a useful player against bottom tier teams

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 12:34 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
I think you're the one trying to convince yourself of this. The truth is that he never showed up in good shape (again this year with Minny) and never deserved a shot at the top 6 because of that, and that is why Martin never liked him. Habs constently told him to work harder over the years, but he never did. Those are the facts and nothing else, and they are well documented. Stop making up excuses for Fatendresse. He got what he deserved and he's getting it again this year in Minny by being demoted to the bottom lines.
Pouliot >>> Latendresse any day. Pouliot showed up in shape this year, not Fatendresse...again!
Maybe you're right. I don't have a problem with people that think that way.

But let's not make **** up and say Latendresse did get a chance, or try to imply the fact he was sleeping at the motel matters in any way when Latendresse already knew he was going to get traded at that point.

Old
11-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Maybe you're right. I don't have a problem with people that think that way.

But let's not make **** up and say Latendresse did get a chance, or try to imply the fact he was sleeping at the motel matters in any way when Latendresse already knew he was going to get traded at that point.
I agree. I don't care for the motel thing. I do think Latendresse got a chance with Carbo at the beginning but certainly not with Martin last year.

Old
11-06-2010, 12:40 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Like Latendresse is known for telling the truth and admiting is own errors. He always blames other people...its never is fault. You actually think Fatendresse will say on RDS that the Habs told him for 4 years to be in better shape but he was too lazy to work hard for it. Its well documented that he almost never showed up to his summer power skating lessons the Habs wanted him to attend. He also was a bad training influence on Lapierre, which is also a reason why he was traded away.

Don't ever take at face value what a player says, especially a well known liar like Fatendresse that can't admit his own mistakes and flaws. He just balmed everyone else except him and you actuallt bought that? WOW!
Look, I'm not gullible. I know when someone is making **** up. It's possible Latendresse was lazy, didn't train properly, whatever. But what Latendresse said in that interview made a ton of sense. Think about it. Martin is a guy that puts a lot of importance on game shape. He said AK wasn't in good shape last year. And if you remember AK got about the same treatment Latendresse got last season at the start.

Nah, I believe it. I'm convinced Latendresse was telling the truth. That doesn't mean Latendresse is guy that trains properly.

But then again the hawks won a cup with Dustin Byfuglien... if you want to talk about someone that's lazy and overweight...

And it's not like Pouliot is any better in the working hard department. Guy is a bean pole. Is it better to be lean as **** and be under 200 as a 6'3 player ? Or be overweight by 20 pounds ?

Old
11-06-2010, 12:44 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Hey guys check this..

When your team has key players on a cold streak and your bottom six is still winning games for you...

you're done

When you see all your young players improving drastically and playing like non-rookies/young players

other than Subban .... who the hell are we developing

you're done

When you've got one of the best coaches in the NHL for developing players and you're seeing results

once again who the hell is developing ....your Benny with 4 goals ? Lars ?

Pyatt ? name one who devloped since last year other than PK and he is not there yet

you're done

Not to be mean but to the guy QQing, these are all clear signs that good things are going to happen, because when our top six finally does click we won't be 14th in the NHL we might still be where we are. We have the right mixture of veterans, leaders and young developed players in our bottom six to fight for us and win games. Do you know how many teams would kill for a situation like that? We have a heart and soul playoff kind of team with good goaltending to back it up. Quit your ****ing whining in a Pouliot Appreciation thread and support your team and it's players or else piss off.
once again folks let`s get to the chase here .... I want a cup period end of story

after watching this team for decades we have never developed the nucleus to win anything ....bandaids on top of bandaids since 93 and the Roy miracle

last year was a smoke and mirror playoffs and you know it

I like Pouliot but teams would kill for the Wings situation not ours

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
And it's not like Pouliot is any better in the working hard department. Guy is a bean pole. Is it better to be lean as **** and be under 200 as a 6'3 player ? Or be overweight by 20 pounds ?
Didnt read the rest, but PooPoo was told to put on weight this summer, and he trained and did just that. Give him more time, he'll fill out.

Old
11-06-2010, 12:48 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
Didnt read the rest, but PooPoo was told to put on weight this summer, and he trained and did just that. Give him more time, he'll fill out.
That should have been done years ago.

But yeah, to his credit he did work harder last summer.

Old
11-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:

Definitely, it should of been done years ago. It wasn't easy for Benoit. He lost his dad who was a huge factor in his success as a young hockey player, got drafted by Minnesota, went off to live far away without family and dealt with losing a parent on his own. Things didn't go as planned- injuries, not cracking the NHL line-up, etc. A trade closer to home was exactly what he needed, and its almost as if hes only getting his first real chance now.

Old
11-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Habs

We should go back through the bandwagon fans posts and bring up how much hate he has received from them.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Andy

Quote:

Pouliot in an interview mentioned how it's hard for him to put on weight, due to injuries and just gaining weight in general. He said he eats and does programs specifically to put on pounds but it doesnt show. He said he's been trying since he was drafted.

Old
11-06-2010, 01:03 PM
neofury*

Quote:

I don't know dude you seem to be the expert judging from your first post. I just call it how I see it.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Megaforce

I like him a lot, a lot more than Latendresse, to be sure. He's got speed, size, reach, a shot and a good attitude and he even his occasionally.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
I'm wearing my Pouliot tshirt right now.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote