Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Iginla vs Naslund

Old
11-06-2010, 08:25 AM
kooch32

vCash: 500
Iginla vs Naslund

I thought this was an interesting read, just wanted to pass it on to whoever wants to take a look at it.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Peter...inla/119/31252

kooch32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
I do not think the majority of intellgent fans in the city have turned on Iginla per say, I think alot of it has to do with the message that has come from management. This is a cap team, and because of that the fans have a ton of expectations on the Calgary Flames and Sutter has said that this team will be challenging for a playoff spot. And ever since last Febuary this team has massively under performed, and when that happens when there are high expectations people want answers. And unfortunately for Jarome, he is the highest payed player so most peoples finger are pointing at the Captain. I will say I think just as much heat should be thrown Bouwmeesters way as well. Bouwmeester has been much improved overall from last season, but he still is far from playing to his contract standards.

I really feel for Iginla, the management has not provided him with proper linemates for him to be successful, although they did bring back Tanguay at the request of Jarome. If the Flames continue to stumble, trading Iginla for the benefit of the team needs to be seriously considered. Matts Sundin had a chance to help the Leafs out with waiving his no trade and he refused. The Leafs may of been alot better off today had Sundin done that to help out his club.

I just hope for everyones sake that this team can start to pull it together, because I would be very sad to see Iginla go. But I do want what is best the Flames and that may be part of the answer. I know this, if and when Iginla gets traded, the team he gets traded to will be the one I am pulling for more than any other team in the NHL come post season time.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 01:18 PM
saillias

vCash: 50
See the thing is though, there's next to no chance of an Iginla leaving scenario. He's still locked up for a while and he is untradeable. It's no different if Tampa Bay sent a BB message to the 29 GMs saying "Hey guys, Lecavalier is totally available. Get it while it's hot " There can be 5 new Iginla proposals in the Trades & Rumors board every day and endless media speculation but it doesn't make a damn difference.

Acquiring Iginla is just not viable to any team in the league. There is no one out there who's going to give up a first, a top prospect and a top-6 forward for Iginla. No one. Not even the Rangers. When you look at the kind of return the Flames would be expecting to make it a worthwhile move for us, it wouldn't work for us anyway due to our overload of contracts.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 01:04 AM
orcatown

Naslund had some serious medical issues that hurt his play, He had both chronic hip and groin problems. That took away much of his speed. Already in the season before the lock out, he had noticeably slowed. Somehow Nonis idiotically signed him to big three year contract which left the Canucks screwed.

In the end, Naslund became really a shell of his former self and had to rely on stick-handling and savvy to make up for the lack of speed.

Don't know Iginla's injury history but he may be coping with some problems as well.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 04:27 PM
crazyforhockey

Well the Canucks had just one line then.....(Sedins,Naslund).....and a defence first mentality.......to get some scoring balance(ie teams would load up top dmen and checking line VS that top line)...so Sedins went with Pyatt which worked..(not as well)
and Naslund pretty much by himself.

Diffrence with CGy is that they have a little bit more balanced scoring throughout the lineup.....but still Iggy will get the center of attention from the other team.....so the 2nd line has to produce game in game out to lesson the coverage for your top line.....and a solid defensive core needs to score more often to open space for your top line.

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
I think a better comparison is Trevor Linden and Iggy. Don't get me wrong, Iginla is far more skilled than Trevor ever was but he brings the same intangibles that makes him near untradeable to the fans. In the end though, the Canucks trading Linden for Bertuzzi, McCabe and essentially Ruutu really turned this organization around. You guys should know, getting Belak and Regehr for Fleury worked out for the best.

I think the time is now to trade Iggy and then sign him when his current contract has expired.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote