Notices

Ference gone when Boychuk returns

Old
11-07-2010, 08:11 PM
FROMSHORETOCHARA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
I've come around a lot on Ference. I thought he was terribly overrated by some here (the "He was our best defenseman for a month in 08" stuff was out of hand), but he really is a "decent" player. Until they have better options, and they currently don't, I don't see why we'd move him.
I agree with this. I doubt they go without 7 vets this early in the year so they all stay for now I think. I too have come around on Ference, although the process started before this year.

He's frequently hurt and his game goes downhill fast even when he tries to play with nagging injures BUT a healthy Ference is a damn good dman and one who does a lot of the things that we need very well, skate, 1st pass, retrieve pucks.

Boychuck age (not that he's young by the way but he is younger than Andy) and Ferences uneven healthy history might make Boychuk the one to keep.

But let me say this, if today was Game 7 of the stanley cup finals and one of ference and boychuk was going to play with Chara and the other was going to sit - it would be ference with Z every time.

A very under-rated player on HFboards but I think Bruins managment (rightly IMO) loves him so I doubt he goes anywhere.

FROMSHORETOCHARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:29 PM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
I've come around a lot on Ference. I thought he was terribly overrated by some here (the "He was our best defenseman for a month in 08" stuff was out of hand), but he really is a "decent" player. Until they have better options, and they currently don't, I don't see why we'd move him.
Truth hurts?

The guy was the B's best d-man for stretches during his tenure here, not sure what's the big deal about that statement? Nobody is saying that Ference is better than Chara, just that he is capable of stepping up and playing at high levels for a time. I have been on the fence with Ference for some time...I like what he brings, but he has just been hurt or "getting back up to speed" far too often as a B.

That being said, he has been very good this year (granted some of it has been with Chara, who might even be able to make me look like an NHL caliber d-man) and my opinion of him went up a notch after last night. I'm not a huge fan of going after an opponent after a clean hit, but it was Rex and the B's were a little flat and needed a lift. Ference stepped up and took on a guy several inches and about 30 lbs heavier than he was, and I thought, won the fight.

Don't think this will go unnoticed with teammates, maybe even a few that were not happy with Andy after the union debacle last year. Management already liked him, as was evidenced by the contract extension, and no doubt more of his team did after last night's actions. I don't think Ference is going anywhere, and if he can stay healthy, that's a good thing.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Truth hurts?

The guy was the B's best d-man for stretches during his tenure here, not sure what's the big deal about that statement? Nobody is saying that Ference is better than Chara, just that he is capable of stepping up and playing at high levels for a time. I have been on the fence with Ference for some time...I like what he brings, but he has just been hurt or "getting back up to speed" far too often as a B.

That being said, he has been very good this year (granted some of it has been with Chara, who might even be able to make me look like an NHL caliber d-man) and my opinion of him went up a notch after last night. I'm not a huge fan of going after an opponent after a clean hit, but it was Rex and the B's were a little flat and needed a lift. Ference stepped up and took on a guy several inches and about 30 lbs heavier than he was, and I thought, won the fight.

Don't think this will go unnoticed with teammates, maybe even a few that were not happy with Andy after the union debacle last year. Management already liked him, as was evidenced by the contract extension, and no doubt more of his team did after last night's actions. I don't think Ference is going anywhere, and if he can stay healthy, that's a good thing.
If Ference ever played a 10 minute stretch better than a Chara 10 minute stretch:

1) I'd be shocked
2) The B's should be asking Chara to refund some salary

Ference can be decent. Chara can be dominant. Never, never, never can Andy Ference control a game, change the way it's played, intimidate other players and coaches to game plan for him. He doesn't completely eliminate an Ovechkin from the game.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Johnnyduke

Why would any team be interested in Ference when you consider he's an average dman who is often injured? Oh and then there's that three year extension he got...

Johnnyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 03:21 AM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
Why Ference? He makes less and has played better than Seidenberg...not saying they should dump Seidenberg, I'm just pointing out that dumping Ference at this point makes zero sense.

You could actually make a case that Ference has been the best D on the team so far.

This here ^^^^

Exactly and I tired of the same old negative people trying to find scapegoats which is always Ference, Hunwick Wheeler Ryder and sometimes Recchi.

Ference has been solid through and through and had been since he put the spoked B on.

Someone mention his contract and his contract is on par with other NHL defenseman around the league. He is not PC's black eye.

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 06:53 AM
ODAAT

His health is always a question, but those times when he is healthy,for the most part, he is reliable, a willing combatant and seemingly is the first Bruin to jump in to defend a teammate, considering his size, that alone should be embarrassing for fellow teammates.

If he shows that for once, he can stay healthy, I have no doubt a team out there who is seeking a solid, veteran defenseman who won`t hurt you on a regular basis would look at adding a guy like Ference. It`s not like you have to break the bank to get him.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 07:49 AM
PlayMakers

Ference has been great. Thomas has been great. But I'd move both of them tomorrow if I could.

It's kinda funny because a month ago, many folks on this board would have taken anything for either one of those players, but Ference starts out the season strong (as he usually does btw, it's not until he comes back from his first injury that we see a drop in his play) and Thomas comes out of the gate on a hot streak and they're suddenly too important to deal. Whatever happened to the HF mantra of "sell high?"

PlayMakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 07:59 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
If Ference ever played a 10 minute stretch better than a Chara 10 minute stretch:

1) I'd be shocked
2) The B's should be asking Chara to refund some salary

Ference can be decent. Chara can be dominant. Never, never, never can Andy Ference control a game, change the way it's played, intimidate other players and coaches to game plan for him. He doesn't completely eliminate an Ovechkin from the game.
He has, so you would be shocked and wrong

If you could go back and check out the first month or so of the 2008-09, when Chara was coming off shoulder surgery that summer, you would see that Ference, not Chara was the best d-man on the B's. I would be willing to bet that it was entirely due to Chara not being at 100% (a technicality), but it doesn't change the fact that it happened.

Obviously, over larger sample periods Chara is the far superior d-man, which is why he has a Norris and makes three times what Ference does. My response was more about the OP's speculation that Ference should be gone when Boychuk returns. I think Hunwick is a more likely candidate than Ference, if someone "goes", and McQuaid is not just relegated back to the 7-hole.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 08:05 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
He has, so you would be shocked and wrong

If you could go back and check out the first month or so of the 2008-09, when Chara was coming off shoulder surgery that summer, you would see that Ference, not Chara was the best d-man on the B's. I would be willing to bet that it was entirely due to Chara not being at 100% (a technicality), but it doesn't change the fact that it happened.

Obviously, over larger sample periods Chara is the far superior d-man, which is why he has a Norris and makes three times what Ference does. My response was more about the OP's speculation that Ference should be gone when Boychuk returns. I think Hunwick is a more likely candidate than Ference, if someone "goes", and McQuaid is not just relegated back to the 7-hole.
Agreed Glory, and it was well documented by KPD and Fluto amongst others, I think he injured himself in December(could be wrong but..) but up to then, with Z playing but still healing, he played exceptionally well. I like Ference, alot, which only makes it more frustrating when he is injured. Tell ya what, I`m shocked he`s played 11 straight games......(knocking heavily on wood right now!!)

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote