HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Quick question regarding Multi-sport athletes

Old
11-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quick question regarding Multi-sport athletes

I'm a current student who attends Long Beach City College and we are trying to put a Lacrosse team together for the school and hopefully bring in more schools through interest.

So a question to you multi-sport athletes out there, does playing multiple sports effect your game playing hockey? Meaning line changes, off sides, position placement while attacking defending etc?

Playing hockey and lacrosse i'm a bit worried about this and may just need to focus on one over the other, anyone have knowledge on this?

Thanks!

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 01:05 PM
densetsu

I play both racquetball and squash. If I play squash a lot and take a few weeks off racquetball, then have a game of racquetball (or vice-versa), I have some difficulties in the nuances. Angles for Z-shots, racquet angle and timing to spin the ball, how much time I have to get to the ball, etc. The basics I can do just fine, but the more advanced techniques take extra focus. If I play both sports regularly, this isn't an issue, only if I play one exclusively for a while.

However, I've never played lacrosse, so I can't say how confusing it would be to play hockey and lacrosse in the same season. No other sport causes any "confusion" for hockey, but then again, no other sport I play is similar to hockey.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 06:45 AM
frito

FWIW, a lot of the kids in our area play both hockey and lacrosse, many of the better hockey players I've seen do both. I don't know if or how it affects their hockey game, but like I said many of the better players do both.

The one thing I have noticed and have had to coach some of my players that play lacrosse is there is sometimes a tendancy to go after a high puck with the stick thus getting a high sticking infraction.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 08:46 AM
SuburbanArgyle

Here in MD, I'd say 75% of my hockey team also played lacrosse. I think being well rounded as an athlete could help anyones game. I will say though that there have been times that I've tried to "catch" a puck with my stick like I was playing lacrosse.

SuburbanArgyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Briere Up There*

Lacrosse is ideal for hockey players. Hand-eye coordination requirements similar to baseball, but way more cardiovascular training. Playing at least two sports should be a requirement for every athlete, it's better for you.

Briere Up There* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 02:24 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briere Up There View Post
Lacrosse is ideal for hockey players. Hand-eye coordination requirements similar to baseball, but way more cardiovascular training. Playing at least two sports should be a requirement for every athlete, it's better for you.
Just ask Bo Jackson.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Fleuryoutside29

I would say for the two sports you're considering, it should be nothing to worry about. I'd say that a lot of people who play hockey play lacrosse too.

Fleuryoutside29 is offline   Reply With Quote