HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Use Jagr To Trade Up?

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2004, 10:33 AM
PanMan

vCash: 500
Use Jagr To Trade Up?

well, hey. i'm new to the boards, but not new to being a ranger fan

anyways, you gotta think that jagr has some value now. with washington paying about half his salary, and us possibly paying some more of it, a team could have him for 4M a year or less. that's a pretty good deal if you ask me. and i doubt he'd want to stay here during the rebuilding. he's not the same asset that he was in washington (overpaid so that only we could acquire him). he's affordable now and still has great skill.

i'm going out on a limb here but maybe pitt would be interested in him. think about it. Lemieux just said that if they don't get a new building soon, then their history. he said it's up to the city and the fans and the politicians. what better way to get the city thinking about the pens again than by bringing back a star winger and former fan favourite in Jagr to play alongside mario. Jagr would come at maybe 4M (possibly even less), and mario could take a paycut from his 5M, and they'd essentially have him payed for. i also heard rumours that kovy wants to go back there if they'll take him (otherwise he'd be content in montreal). i don't think that the pens will nab both jagr and kovy, but it's definitely possible that jagr might go there for his new cheap price.

and even if he doesn't go to pitt, i'm sure we could use him to get another Top 10, maybe Keenan will be interested?

but one thing is for certain, we have a great asset in Jagr, and i doubt he wants to stay here, so i think we should use it.

any thoughts?

Old
06-11-2004, 11:15 AM
kazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanMan
well, hey. i'm new to the boards, but not new to being a ranger fan

anyways, you gotta think that jagr has some value now. with washington paying about half his salary, and us possibly paying some more of it, a team could have him for 4M a year or less. that's a pretty good deal if you ask me. and i doubt he'd want to stay here during the rebuilding. he's not the same asset that he was in washington (overpaid so that only we could acquire him). he's affordable now and still has great skill.

i'm going out on a limb here but maybe pitt would be interested in him. think about it. Lemieux just said that if they don't get a new building soon, then their history. he said it's up to the city and the fans and the politicians. what better way to get the city thinking about the pens again than by bringing back a star winger and former fan favourite in Jagr to play alongside mario. Jagr would come at maybe 4M (possibly even less), and mario could take a paycut from his 5M, and they'd essentially have him payed for. i also heard rumours that kovy wants to go back there if they'll take him (otherwise he'd be content in montreal). i don't think that the pens will nab both jagr and kovy, but it's definitely possible that jagr might go there for his new cheap price.

and even if he doesn't go to pitt, i'm sure we could use him to get another Top 10, maybe Keenan will be interested?

but one thing is for certain, we have a great asset in Jagr, and i doubt he wants to stay here, so i think we should use it.

any thoughts?
I think Jagr is pretty much untradeable. Age, contract, desire to move again, labor situation all conspire against it. It could be that after this contract, he will return home permanently. That hurts his value, too. It's possible a trade could happen at the time of the next trading deadline but not before then. In addition to that, I don't think the Rangers want to trade him.

Old
06-11-2004, 12:22 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

there is something you have to remeber: Jagr wanted out of Pittsburgh. i dont see him wanting to go back, even if Mario plays on the same line. not to mention fans boo JAgr eveytime he touches the puck while in Pittsburgh (wrongly imo). if JAgr has a no trade clause, you can bet he will veto it.

also, Mario cant take a pay cut. NHLPA was all over him for making a pro-rated 1.44M salary the year he came back, so the Pens came up with a number everyone could live with. plus, he just makes less salary as an owner, so the amout of money saved wouldnt really be saved at all, just given to him as owner instead of player.

Old
06-11-2004, 01:13 PM
Skroob*

he makes 5M a year to play ~20% of a season? damn, talk about overpaid.

Old
06-11-2004, 02:46 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Zero
there is something you have to remeber: Jagr wanted out of Pittsburgh. i dont see him wanting to go back, even if Mario plays on the same line. not to mention fans boo JAgr eveytime he touches the puck while in Pittsburgh (wrongly imo). if JAgr has a no trade clause, you can bet he will veto it.

also, Mario cant take a pay cut. NHLPA was all over him for making a pro-rated 1.44M salary the year he came back, so the Pens came up with a number everyone could live with. plus, he just makes less salary as an owner, so the amout of money saved wouldnt really be saved at all, just given to him as owner instead of player.
How did he get traded here with a no-trade clause?

Old
06-11-2004, 03:20 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR
1) i dont know if he has one. if he does, then he will veto a trade to Pittsburgh. also, the player has the right to waive the clause if he so chooses to.

2) when the Pittsburgh media was covering the Jagr situation, Jagr made it known the Rangers were his choice (at least of the reported teams interested). so, if he does have a no trade clause (which, once again, i dont know if he does), then he waived it to go to NY.

Old
06-12-2004, 10:48 PM
Mister Hockey

You will not see Jagr with the Pens again ever. He had many issues off the ice. Just as much as Jagr wanted out of Pittsburgh, the Pen's wanted rid of him. As Kurt Angle would say; "It's true, It's true."

Last edited by Mister Hockey: 06-14-2004 at 09:46 PM.
Old
06-12-2004, 10:53 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR
I'm sure he waived if he even had one. He did get a no trade clause for restructuring his contract with the Rangers.

Old
06-13-2004, 11:20 AM
Fish

The no-trade clause was put in after Jagr came to New York as a condition of him deferring roughly 5 million in salary. There's also a buy-out clause for the Rangers after I think the 2005-06 season (could be this year) that actually makes the Capitals primarily responsible for buying out his contract.

I wouldn't be surprised either if the Capitals commitment would go away if he was traded from the Rangers to another team...pure speculation on my part of course.

Old
06-13-2004, 03:06 PM
Rodent

Just to be precise about it:

A player may not simply "waive" a no-trade clause even if it is in his best interests. The NHLPA would not approve because such a decision would reduce the value of the contract - ie. a "no-trade" or "limited-trade" clause is interpreted as part of the compensation package to the player. It provides security not to uproot the family, or whatever.

To get around a no-trade clause what management must do is somehow boost the value of the contract in another area. Perhaps management will agree to extend the contract for an additional year. Perhaps there's a cash exchange. There is no formula that assigns a specific value of a no-trade clause. It's whatever gets negotiated to the satisfaction of the NHLPA for a given situation. But whatever the compensation turns out to be, it must happen even if the player urgently wishes to escape his current environment and the no-trade is perceived by outsiders as a penalty rather than a reward.

BTW - In the current CBA (which remains in effect until 9/15) a player must be 31 Y/O to be eligible for a no-trade clause.

Old
06-13-2004, 03:33 PM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
I'd take Kovy over Jgar any day.

Old
06-13-2004, 03:59 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrish11d
I'd take Kovy over Jgar any day.
Your kidding right?

Talent: Jagr
Head: Jagr... he's not perfect but he's not the enigma on the ice that Kovy can be.
Leadership: I'd say neither are especially good.

Jagr is pretty much better in any aspect. He will put up more points and not have the Kovalev brain hiccups. He's also not prone to streakiness like Kovy.... you won't see 2 points in 10 games from Jagr.

Old
06-14-2004, 09:46 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent
Just to be precise about it:

A player may not simply "waive" a no-trade clause even if it is in his best interests. The NHLPA would not approve because such a decision would reduce the value of the contract - ie. a "no-trade" or "limited-trade" clause is interpreted as part of the compensation package to the player. It provides security not to uproot the family, or whatever.

To get around a no-trade clause what management must do is somehow boost the value of the contract in another area. Perhaps management will agree to extend the contract for an additional year. Perhaps there's a cash exchange. There is no formula that assigns a specific value of a no-trade clause. It's whatever gets negotiated to the satisfaction of the NHLPA for a given situation. But whatever the compensation turns out to be, it must happen even if the player urgently wishes to escape his current environment and the no-trade is perceived by outsiders as a penalty rather than a reward.

BTW - In the current CBA (which remains in effect until 9/15) a player must be 31 Y/O to be eligible for a no-trade clause.
huh, thats pretty interesting. didnt know that.

Old
06-14-2004, 12:27 PM
Petemo

hey guys, isnt it amusing that the pens fans cant spell Jagr?

Old
06-14-2004, 02:19 PM
rnyquist

Jagr may have a N/T clause, but I'd highly doubt he wouldn't waive it to go to a team like the leafs or Detroit where he gets a chance to win opposed to staying on this rebuilding team

Closed Thread