HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Gainey on Draft Day...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2004, 01:35 PM
  #1
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,705
vCash: 500
Will Gainey on Draft Day...

Be making any deals? Anyone have any ideas, inside scoops or hunches? I would like to see some sort of deal to move up in the draft... I would imagine # 1 Washington's pick is untouchable without overpaying big time... What do you guys think? I for one think BG will be making a deal on draft day.

BLONG7 is online now  
Old
06-13-2004, 02:05 PM
  #2
Freebooter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 158
vCash: 500
I think the Habs will draft the best player available. Having said that, it would be fortunate if the BPA coincides with the need for size and talent at centre and depth on defence. I think that if they believe they can get Chipchura at #18, then they stay put. Otherwise they may trade up to get him, or trade even farther up to get Olesz, who is one of the BPA available and fits a significant need in the organization.

Freebooter is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 02:12 PM
  #3
EaGLE1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,442
vCash: 500
Trading Hainsey or Hossa to gain a few spots could be a good idea. Anyway. i'm not sure they will make the team next year. If they don't, we'll lose them anyway.
But I like Hossa better than Hainsey. Hainsey will be the next David Wilkie.

EaGLE1 is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 02:23 PM
  #4
Til the End of Time
Registered User
 
Til the End of Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 7,138
vCash: 500
I am not expecting any major moves from the Habs. It would cost a king's ransom to land either Malkin/AO, and while it may be worth it, I don't see Gainey taking the risk.

After those two, it really is up in the air. And I don't see a huge difference between say, the 5th pick and the 18th pick, or at least a big enough difference to make a trade to move up in the first round worthwhile. I could see a package of later round picks being used to grab a perhaps second rounder, if Gainey really likes someone that has fallen.

Til the End of Time is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 02:32 PM
  #5
loadie
Official Beer Taster
 
loadie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,109
vCash: 500
I can see BG trading down if the player he wanted is gone before our pick. With no standouts after the top 15 or so, he might decide to get some extra picks, maybe for next year when the draft is Suppose to be stronger.

loadie is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 10:42 PM
  #6
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg
 
Souffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Le Creuset
Country: France
Posts: 3,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1
Trading Hainsey or Hossa to gain a few spots could be a good idea. Anyway. i'm not sure they will make the team next year. If they don't, we'll lose them anyway.
But I like Hossa better than Hainsey. Hainsey will be the next David Wilkie.
Yep, I like the idea too. I think Clb might deal their pick. The Blue Jackets already have such an outstanding group of high draft picks, especially with the addition of Svitov last year.

I would offer Hainsey and the Habs 1st for the 4th overall and one of Clb's 3rd rounders. I doubt that Columbus would do it, though. From their roster, it seems that they could use a scoring center. I would also consider a deal involving Ribeiro for the 4th overall.

Souffle is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 10:56 PM
  #7
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
Yep, I like the idea too. I think Clb might deal their pick. The Blue Jackets already have such an outstanding group of high draft picks, especially with the addition of Svitov last year.

I would offer Hainsey and the Habs 1st for the 4th overall and one of Clb's 3rd rounders. I doubt that Columbus would do it, though. From their roster, it seems that they could use a scoring center. I would also consider a deal involving Ribeiro for the 4th overall.
How about Hainsey and Hossa both for the Jackets pick?

The Jackets almost traded for Hainsey at the deadline and he fits an immediate need in the line up since Klesa seems to be the only strong D prospect on the team.

Hossa would look good with Svitov.

Would they bite? I know you would have their attention.

RE-HABS is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 11:24 PM
  #8
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg
 
Souffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Le Creuset
Country: France
Posts: 3,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
How about Hainsey and Hossa both for the Jackets pick?

The Jackets almost traded for Hainsey at the deadline and he fits an immediate need in the line up since Klesa seems to be the only strong D prospect on the team.

Hossa would look good with Svitov.

Would they bite? I know you would have their attention.
Both is a bit too rich, though it would be tempting to save over 2+mill in salary. If Clb added their best 3rd rounder (apparently they have 3 this year), I would do it.

Souffle is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 11:31 PM
  #9
EaGLE1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
Yep, I like the idea too. I think Clb might deal their pick. The Blue Jackets already have such an outstanding group of high draft picks, especially with the addition of Svitov last year.

I would offer Hainsey and the Habs 1st for the 4th overall and one of Clb's 3rd rounders. I doubt that Columbus would do it, though. From their roster, it seems that they could use a scoring center. I would also consider a deal involving Ribeiro for the 4th overall.
I agree with the 4th overall vs hainsey + our 1st...

But Ribeiro vs 4 th overall???
I don't get it.
Ribeiro is cheap, good and probably better than the guy that we would draft.
+The kid will take 4 years before being ready for NHL.
+ we don't have any other 2nd line centre!
unless we acquire a quality centre UFA (Zhamnov? I like him. He have Koivu's talent without the heart...)

EaGLE1 is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 12:11 AM
  #10
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 17,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7
Be making any deals? Anyone have any ideas, inside scoops or hunches?
I heard Gainey was planning on moving Theo+Koivu+Ribeiro for the 1st overall

Des Louise is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 12:28 AM
  #11
FTK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Longueuil
Posts: 560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²
I heard Gainey was planning on moving Theo+Koivu+Ribeiro for the 1st overall
You hear voices my friend

FTK is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 12:53 AM
  #12
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 17,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTK
You hear voices my friend
I also heard he wouldn't miss a beat after the first trade and do Zednik+Markov+Komisarek for the 2nd overall.

True story ...

Des Louise is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 01:03 AM
  #13
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg
 
Souffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Le Creuset
Country: France
Posts: 3,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1
I agree with the 4th overall vs hainsey + our 1st...

But Ribeiro vs 4 th overall???
I don't get it.
Ribeiro is cheap, good and probably better than the guy that we would draft.
+The kid will take 4 years before being ready for NHL.
+ we don't have any other 2nd line centre!
unless we acquire a quality centre UFA (Zhamnov? I like him. He have Koivu's talent without the heart...)
Ribeiro has offensive talent, but I think he will be a Ray Whitney type -- a PP specialist who manages to score between 60-75 points a year, but with an under-developed physical and defensive game. I just don't think that his offense will compensate enough for his flaws.

IMO, the oppurtunity to draft Ladd, Tukonen or whoever is worth more. Top 5 picks tend to arrive in the NHL much quicker than other drafted players. Last year, 5 out of the top 6 played in the NHL.

I think Ribeiro can be replaced through different combinations of FA signings, trades, and rookies. For instance, I would bring Perreault back if he took a paycut. If Conroy doesn't re-sign with Calgary, or if Arnott or Demitra aren't qualified, I would call their agents. There'll be a lot of FAs floating around in a depressed market.

Souffle is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 04:44 PM
  #14
6 String Benny
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kenora On.
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
The Jackets almost traded for Hainsey???What did I miss?Can someone please fill me in?

6 String Benny is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 05:01 PM
  #15
gohabsgo2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: sign Patrick Poulin
Posts: 2,622
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 String Benny
The Jackets almost traded for Hainsey???What did I miss?Can someone please fill me in?
Rumour is that Sydor was on the way for Hainsey, but when the Jacket's scouts went to Hamilton to check out Hainsey, the liked Svitov more thus Sydor went to Tampa and Ronald H. remained a Hab.

gohabsgo2010 is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 05:09 PM
  #16
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,273
vCash: 500
Thinking about it, I think it would be wise to keep #18, and to give a last shot to Hossa and Hainsey. Put Hossa on the third line with regular ice time. Put Hainsey as 7th defencemen and when someone goes down, and there is always a defencemen who injures himself, he gets his chance. The habs have drafted them and put a lot of efforts in developing them in the minors. I think that we should keep them for another year, last chance for them, they might pan out and become the players we expected them to be.

FF de Mars is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 05:45 PM
  #17
6 String Benny
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kenora On.
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
Thanks for the reply.First time I've heard of that one.

Benny

6 String Benny is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 06:39 PM
  #18
Marksman
Registered User
 
Marksman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
IMO, the oppurtunity to draft Ladd, Tukonen or whoever is worth more. Top 5 picks tend to arrive in the NHL much quicker than other drafted players. Last year, 5 out of the top 6 played in the NHL.
I wouldnt draw conclusions on that. First of all Michalek played only two games.

Patrice Bergeron, 45th overall played whole season. So draft rank itself doesnt neccesarily mean anything.

Teams like Pittsburgh Carolina Florida and Columbus are in totally different position than Habs. They are bottom feeders that dont have anything to lose. They dont care how their team does, so they can use their big team as develoment platform. If Habs took chance like that and team hits rock bottom heads starts rolling.

I'd rather take my chances with Hainsey and Hossa now than trade them for picks and maybe find myself again in same situation 3-4 years from here with different players.

Marksman is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 07:14 PM
  #19
toughstuff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Gatineau
Posts: 409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
Both is a bit too rich, though it would be tempting to save over 2+mill in salary. If Clb added their best 3rd rounder (apparently they have 3 this year), I would do it.

I agree. that is to rich. But .. what if :

Hossa and Hainsey for Columbus' 1st and 2nd.

I would do it.

That would give us 2 1st, 1 2nd and 2 3rd.


Last edited by toughstuff: 06-14-2004 at 07:19 PM.
toughstuff is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 07:33 PM
  #20
not quite yoda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Qatar
Posts: 3,508
vCash: 500
For months I've been saying Hainsey + Hossa + 18th ov. FOR CBJ's 4th overall. I would do it but I don't think CBJ would. They seem to have theit heart set on Barker.

not quite yoda is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 08:15 PM
  #21
loadie
Official Beer Taster
 
loadie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughstuff
I agree. that is to rich. But .. what if :

Hossa and Hainsey for Columbus' 1st and 2nd.

I would do it.

That would give us 2 1st, 1 2nd and 2 3rd.
I can't see Columbus doing this trade. We give 2 guys that may never make our team, or anyone else's for that matter for a 1st and second? No way that goes down. Maybe our 1st + Hossa or Hainsey might get the Jackets 1st and a 3rd.

loadie is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 09:28 PM
  #22
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg
 
Souffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Le Creuset
Country: France
Posts: 3,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
I wouldnt draw conclusions on that. First of all Michalek played only two games.

Patrice Bergeron, 45th overall played whole season. So draft rank itself doesnt neccesarily mean anything.

Teams like Pittsburgh Carolina Florida and Columbus are in totally different position than Habs. They are bottom feeders that dont have anything to lose. They dont care how their team does, so they can use their big team as develoment platform. If Habs took chance like that and team hits rock bottom heads starts rolling.

I'd rather take my chances with Hainsey and Hossa now than trade them for picks and maybe find myself again in same situation 3-4 years from here with different players.
The point is that high draft picks don't usually take 4 yrs. The 4th overall is probably going to play in the NHL within the next two years. Top 5 picks are generally safe picks. It would be exciting to have Ladd, for instance.

Hossa and Hainsey will be costing the Habs 2mill+ and two roster spots. The Habs aren't yet good enough to contend for a playoff spot while carrying rookies who play poorly. IMO a team like Pittsburgh or Columbus -- a development platform -- is better suited for them.

Hainsey and Hossa leave the Habs with limited options. Trading them now for a high draft pick is a gamble, but it would provide roster flexibility. IMHO the roster spots would be better filled by Higgins and Plekanec on attack, and a veteran FA for LD.

Souffle is offline  
Old
06-15-2004, 06:21 AM
  #23
Marksman
Registered User
 
Marksman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
The point is that high draft picks don't usually take 4 yrs. The 4th overall is probably going to play in the NHL within the next two years. Top 5 picks are generally safe picks. It would be exciting to have Ladd, for instance.

Hossa and Hainsey will be costing the Habs 2mill+ and two roster spots. The Habs aren't yet good enough to contend for a playoff spot while carrying rookies who play poorly. IMO a team like Pittsburgh or Columbus -- a development platform -- is better suited for them.

Hainsey and Hossa leave the Habs with limited options. Trading them now for a high draft pick is a gamble, but it would provide roster flexibility. IMHO the roster spots would be better filled by Higgins and Plekanec on attack, and a veteran FA for LD.
I think you're way optimistic. I case you havent noticed Habs management is very careful not to rush young players. They almost never attempt signing player before he turns 20, to be eligible for AHL. Only exception to this rule I know is Kastitsyn.

Komisarek was drafted as 7th overall on a very good year 2001. Its been three years and he has not started a season as regular for big team.

Contending for playoffs is important, always in a hockey city like Montreal. I believe if we get legitimate 1st line (Kovalev) and build better pk/checking (Laperriere/ Marshall eg.) line we will make the playoffs, regardless if there are a few rookies plays on the 2nd and 4th lines and 3rd defensive pairing. If we make it far there or not is depended on deadline moves.

We are still rebuilding team, if you want to keep youth movement going, you need to give couple spots for young players every year. I dont like the idea of trading Hossa or Hainsey because I see them being two our most NHL ready prospects, Plekanec being the third. If you deal them away you're postponing the rebuilding process for a year.

Another think I cant figure out is, why are you bringing money issue into this? Any NHL body making little over million is a bargain at these days. If you trade them away, those spots (2nd line LW, 3rd pairing LD) have to be filled somehow, most likely by players who make even more money.

Marksman is offline  
Old
06-15-2004, 09:12 AM
  #24
Papa Bear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
I think you're way optimistic. I case you havent noticed Habs management is very careful not to rush young players. They almost never attempt signing player before he turns 20, to be eligible for AHL. Only exception to this rule I know is Kastitsyn.

Komisarek was drafted as 7th overall on a very good year 2001. Its been three years and he has not started a season as regular for big team.

Contending for playoffs is important, always in a hockey city like Montreal. I believe if we get legitimate 1st line (Kovalev) and build better pk/checking (Laperriere/ Marshall eg.) line we will make the playoffs, regardless if there are a few rookies plays on the 2nd and 4th lines and 3rd defensive pairing. If we make it far there or not is depended on deadline moves.

We are still rebuilding team, if you want to keep youth movement going, you need to give couple spots for young players every year. I dont like the idea of trading Hossa or Hainsey because I see them being two our most NHL ready prospects, Plekanec being the third. If you deal them away you're postponing the rebuilding process for a year.

Another think I cant figure out is, why are you bringing money issue into this? Any NHL body making little over million is a bargain at these days. If you trade them away, those spots (2nd line LW, 3rd pairing LD) have to be filled somehow, most likely by players who make even more money.
finally... somebody making a little sense...
most scouts agree that after the first 2 picks there are no real sure things in this draft...
so why would the habs look to trade 2 players about to make the team for a guy that will take 3-4 more years to develop and could end up not being any better than the guys you traded away...
just because hainsey and hossa havent become the superstars we may have expected to be when they were drafted doesnt mean they cant help our team... both have size, both have skill, and both have better than average speed... those are very important qualities several of our prospects dont all possess in one package...
we're going to lose 4-5 players (at least) from our roster and we're gonna need players ready to replace them... i'm not saying hand hainsey and/or hossa roster spots, but we're gonna need nhl ready players to fill them...

Papa Bear is offline  
Old
06-15-2004, 12:03 PM
  #25
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 9,035
vCash: 500
I would be surprised if Gainey doesn't trade his 1st pick selection.

deandebean is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.