HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Plus/Minus - Pens vs. Yotes (11-6-10)

Old
11-06-2010, 10:58 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Plus/Minus - Pens vs. Yotes (11-6-10)

PLus

+ Mark Letestu: This guy is no longer just on a hot streak. He's really this good. His vision is way beyond his NHL experience. He's so calm and so smooth with the puck. He knows exactly what to do and doesn't rush the play like the majority of our wingers. He needs a long shot w/ Geno or Sid on the wing.

I swear to God this guy is the only player on our team that understands that weak goals can be had if you just throw the puck to the net.

+ Tyler Kennedy: Most people think I'm just a homer and put TK up here every game, but the guy is our best winger. It's not even close. He changes momentum and sparks energy into our lineup. He's of the few guys winning battles and playing 2 way hockey.

+ Crosby/Malkin: Sid really elevated his game lately and is playing well. I still don't think it's his best hockey ever, but I'm very happy that he's leading this team. Geno finally came back to the world. He's not playing anywhere near his elite status, but he finally said "to hell with it" and just started firing the puck left/right. It was refreshing to see.

There is still a lot of improvement both players can make, but we are making strides in the right direction. To say they are playing with minimal help would be an understatement.

+ Orpik: Quietly but phyiscally, Orpik played very well. We don't have to go into detail on what #44 does. We all know he hits and blocks shots. He was sound in our zone and very good tonight.

+ Brent Johnson: Johnson is one of the few bright spots on our team. He makes the right saves and is consistent. I'm not expecting him to be able to do this the entire year. There is a reason he's a 600k a year backup. It will show over time. For right now.. I'm happy with riding Brent until the wheels completely fall off. Fleury isn't ready to lead this team.

Minus

- Team Chemistry: I'm blaming this one on Bylsma. Our guys have no clue where each other are because we never have the same lines. The only two guys who even have a clue where to be are Cooke/Kennedy. That's because they had plenty of time to work out the kinks. These guys need time to play and know where one another are going to be.

- Fleury: We aren't going to trade or cut Fleury, so let's stop that garbage before this thread gets started. Realistically, he's so bad that's I don't know what to even say anymore. We can't say he's a Cup winner, because past cup winners are riding the pine like last year's winner in San Jose. Osgood is another example of a guy who just couldn't do it in the regular season.

I don't know how to fix Fleury's confidence, but someone has to. I just can't even imagine how to get that guy back to normal.

- Alex Gigliovaski: Gogo was awful tonight. He was fumbling the puck, out of position, weak on the puck, and didn't really help the team at all. This was the worst I've seen #3 play in awhile.

- Dan Bylsma: What the hell is "our game"? I'm pretty sure I've seen our team suck consistently and play .500 hockey for a long time now. You can't tell me all of this inconsistent play is not your game, but when you win you take credit for it. If inconsistency becomes consistent - that is your game. So take ****ing responsibility into your own hands and plan accordingly so we don't waste years away with a terrible coach.

Our defensive zone coverage is a joke. I can't really identify it as a box +1 because it isn't. It's simply a zone coverage and it's weak as hell. We stand around and take up space but that doesn't help win battles and get the puck out of our zone. It's a terrible defensive zone strategy.

I also hate our 1-2-2. I'm fine if teams play the 1-2-2 forecheck, but don't make it as easy to break through. Our guys just wave sticks in the neutral zone instead of putting a body to impede the play. It has to be the worst forecheck in the entire league. It's so easy to break.

- Rupp/Comrie: Cut these guys, immediately. What the hell does Bylsma see in Comrie or Rupp that they continue to get looks on the ice? Someone please answer me that.

- Engelland: It was a bad night for Derek defensively. I like that he brings a toughness and is willing to fight, but Lovejoy is a much better defender. He's too sloppy with the puck and has a terrible outlet pass.

- Pascal Dupuis: Dupers is playing like a fourth liner. That's why you can't move a 4th liner into the top 6. When he plays like a fourth liner, he looks like ****. Tonight, he looked like ****.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 10:59 PM
AK

I agree with every single point on this list except Dupuis, who I thought was okay. Add a plus for Paul Martin, who is a wizard at keeping plays alive.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:01 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

He's no longer on a hotstreak... because he's got one point in 8 games

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:01 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
I hate Arron Asham, seriously. The guy is useless. The season is young so he'll probably get better but god is he useless. The samething can be said of Rupp and Comrie, especially Comrie. Wasn't he supposed to be a skilled guy?

Well, we got the W that's all that matters but I'm very worried about MAF. I love the guy; he is one of the coolest hockey player I've met in my live and god when he's on, he's on but this year, wow, he just sucks. Get him a psychiatrist and a real goalie coach ASAP. Johnson is playing great at the moment but the guy ain't no #1 goalie, we need MAF to bounce back.

JordanStaal#1Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:02 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
He's no longer on a hotstreak... because he's got one point in 8 games
I don't mean scoring streak. I meant as if he was just on fire but won't do it consistently. A flash in the pan, if you will.

Old
11-06-2010, 11:04 PM
Kinguin

Fleury shouldn't have started today, a second of back-to-back games, right after a loss with all what is going on.
Bylsma made things worse for everyone, including MAF himself.

Kinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:04 PM
Sideline

-Engelland: he got beat and hung MAF out to dry on the first one.

-MAF: I was all set to come in and defend him after the first goal then came the soff…

-Refs: The phantom call on Dupuis was bad, but they “made up for it” when they let the Pens get away with a lot near the end of the game.

+Crosby: looked dangerous and he scored.

+Malkin: he was galloping all night and he was rewarded for it. He’s taking more shots on the PP and if not for Ilya Bryzgalov he’s got a multi point night for sure.

+Letestu: sick pass to set up Kunitz. Sick pass to set up Geno on a play that drew a penalty. Sick shot to win the game.

+ Johnson: he came in and once again played solid for us.

+ Ilya Bryzgalov for showing fans what a big money goalie looks like. He has good rebound control, is always in position, doesn’t give up soft goals, and got beaten only by point blank snipes.

Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:05 PM

inb4 i miss jordan staal

71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:06 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I don't mean scoring streak. I meant as if he was just on fire but won't do it consistently. A flash in the pan, if you will.
Yeah I get what you mean. He's definitely an NHL calibre player.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:08 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusShero8771 View Post
inb4 i miss jordan staal
<----

I do miss him a lot. Let's be honest here, Staal is our big stabilasor (spelling?) on offense. When he's there, his line spends countless shifts cycling in the offensive zone and wearing down their defense. Plus, he routinely plays against the opposition's best line. Once he is back the dynamic of our team will change and we will be more effective offensively. Sure, our wingers will still suck but Geno and Sid will have more space to work.

JordanStaal#1Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Gumbercules

+ BJ - obvious reasons, came in cold and played well.

+ Letestu - Does the little things

-Fleury - yuck

-50 minute games - lost in Fleury's awfulness was the fact we were outchanced 6-1 in the first 10 minutes of the game. How can this team not be ready to play after all their recent problems?

Goligski/Michalek/Engelland - All looked terrible in their own special ways with turnovers and losing their men in coverage.

Gumbercules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

I thought Tanger was real shaky tonight too. Every time a defender made a move on him he was going for a swim.

Kunitz was good though, forechecking hard and finishing checks. That's a useful CK.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

+ Goligoski wasn't as bad as advertised.
+ Crosby
+ thats the Geno we know.
+ Johnson
+ Letestu
HM+ coaching for not sitting on Fleury.

- Fleury
- Fleury
- Fleury
- Fleury
- Fleury

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Perfect, Cole.

I just want to add one small thing... Except for one occasion, the PP looked good. The reason it didn't on that one occasion was that Phoenix kept winning the draws and expedited the puck out of the zone well. Happens to the best of PP's. But otherwise it now looks dangerous again, it is getting shots and Bylsma has to not be an idiot and simply stick with what was always the more natural set-up.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:11 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
I thought Tanger was real shaky tonight too. Every time a defender made a move on him he was going for a swim.

Kunitz was good though, forechecking hard and finishing checks. That's a useful CK.
Kunitz was on the verge of being awful in the last couple of weeks. He desperately needed a game like this. I can't stand when he fumbles pucks and doesn't know how to carry the puck.

If he isn't chasing, he has no clue what the hell he's doing. Someone should just make him carry the puck for an entire practice.

Old
11-06-2010, 11:13 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

+ Crosby
+ Letestu
+ Kennedy
+ Martin
+ Johnson

- Michalek (injury-related, I think)
- Rupp (get him off the ice, please)
- Fleury (one of my favorites, but he just plain sucks right now)
- Goligoski
- Letang (my favorite, but not good tonight)
- This ****** asking what a Gordie Howe HT is

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:15 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Kunitz was on the verge of being awful in the last couple of weeks. He desperately needed a game like this. I can't stand when he fumbles pucks and doesn't know how to carry the puck.

If he isn't chasing, he has no clue what the hell he's doing. Someone should just make him carry the puck for an entire practice.
Do you think, probably because of his injuries, hampering conditioning efforts in the off season (conjecture on my part) that he is out of shape?

I see him struggling at times to keep up with the play. I definitely don't think he has the jump at that he used to have when he first came here.

Do you see the same?

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:16 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
+ Crosby
+ Letestu
+ Kennedy
+ Martin
+ Johnson

- Michalek (injury-related, I think)
- Rupp (get him off the ice, please)
- Fleury (one of my favorites, but he just plain sucks right now)
- Goligoski
- Letang (my favorite, but not good tonight)
lol

Great on the fly add on to the list. Good stuff.

Old
11-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Crozbar

I agree with every point you (Cole) made except Dupuis; I thought he was alright ... he's got good energy and speed and wins battles for the puck (Edit: sometimes); his positioning is even okay most of the time. His problem is his general lack of skill otherwise -- he is a pretty decent bottom 6 guy, but yeah he doesn't belong in the top 6 of any team ...

(Still, yes,I thought he was alright tonight).

Also

(+/-) Db ... I liked the Cooke/Asham/Malkin experiment. I even thought, contra to some, that Asham was alright. He tried with some success to win puck battles and hold the zone; sadly my expectations are diminished to the point that this is enough for me.
Db at least showed some recognition (probably temporary) of what Malkin needs -- in this case Dan puts him with two reasonably talented grinder types just so that he can get used to staying in the offensive zone ... and Malkin gets fired up.

Otherwise, though, the team looks bad, and Malkin/Crosby/BJ covered for it -- they don't have chemistry; they can't establish a cycle; they are bad with the break-out; their "neutral zone" can't contain the opposite team's break out; and they collapse and look clumsy in their own zone ... this really showed in the first period until the Pens decided to step it up and the Coyotes went completely to sleep.

Last edited by Crozbar: 11-06-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Crozbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:17 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Gotta learn somewhere. More NHL fans the better, IMO.

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:18 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Do you think, probably because of his injuries, hampering conditioning efforts in the off season (conjecture on my part) that he is out of shape?

I see him struggling at times to keep up with the play. I definitely don't think he has the jump at that he used to have when he first came here.

Do you see the same?
I don't know. That's a very good point. Was it his groin that was the issue? I can't remember.

If that's the case, then yes. I could see that being a huge issue with how he plays. I'd still love to see him comfortable enough to try a toe drag every now and then. I'd really like to see him try power moves to the net and have the confidence to take shots instead of look for Sid.

Old
11-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:

Absolutely. He looked like a slower Dupuis the last couple weeks.

God knows we don't need that.

Old
11-06-2010, 11:19 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
I don't know. That's a very good point. Was it his groin that was the issue? I can't remember.

If that's the case, then yes. I could see that being a huge issue with how he plays. I'd still love to see him comfortable enough to try a toe drag every now and then. I'd really like to see him try power moves to the net and have the confidence to take shots instead of look for Sid.
That was my understanding.

I guess it is good enough to be playing, but I can't help but wonder the toll that injury has taken on his conditioning.

Old
11-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Jacob

Can't believe it took the coaching staff this long to pair Martin and Michalek together.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

I thought Malkin played fairly well tonight, but if you want to know part of why the coaching staff was pushing him to the wing, check his faceoff stats tonight.

1 for 10. 10 friggin' %.