HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

#14 - 11.07.2010 | St. Louis Blues @ New York Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG PLUS (HD)

Old
11-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Provolone*

vCash: 500
Kick the Knicks outta the arena, they're ruining the ice!!

Provolone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:49 PM
ColonialsHockey10

What a snoozefest. Way to make them pay for crushing one of our players from behind, a disgrace of a power play.

One of my roommates started watching hockey this year when I got center ice and tonight he watched the Rangers game with me. Halfway through he says, "wow man, I'm no expert at hockey, but the Rangers look like a bunch of retards compared to the other teams I have seen. They look slower, weaker and dumber by a considerable margin. they are also the only team I have seen struggle to get the puck controlled on the power play."

Right after he said that two of our players hit and tripped over each other right by the hashmarks in the offensive zone. It was a circus today.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
What a snoozefest. Way to make them pay for crushing one of our players from behind, a disgrace of a power play.

One of my roommates started watching hockey this year when I got center ice and tonight he watched the Rangers game with me. Halfway through he says, "wow man, I'm no expert at hockey, but the Rangers look like a bunch of retards compared to the other teams I have seen. They look slower, weaker and dumber by a considerable margin. they are also the only team I have seen struggle to get the puck controlled on the power play."

Right after he said that two of our players hit and tripped over each other right by the hashmarks in the offensive zone. It was a circus today.
Well, your friend knows his **** already.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:54 PM
NCRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
The other team has to play on the same ice. And without the benefit of playing on that ice 41 times per season. It is NOT the ice. That's a weak excuse.
Then why can the Rangers play a puck control game on the road?

If someone can please explain to me why the Rangers can string three passes tape to tape together on the road, but can't do it at home, then I'll agree that the Garden ice has nothing to do with it.

As for the other team having to play on the same ice--is the other team playing the same game? The answer is NO. A team not relying on getting the puck through the neutral zone with passing or puck carrying doesn't have to worry about the ice conditions. The Blues didn't rush the puck. They waited for the Rangers to mishandle the puck, then gain possession and shoot in. The goal was scored ONLY because Boogaard gave up a 3 on 2. The Blues did not rely on puck possession.

It's pretty obvious how to beat the Rangers at the Garden. I'm absolutely shocked that you experts haven't picked up on it yet. The other teams don't care about possession, just pressure. Because the ice is so terrible, the Rangers will cough up the puck in dangerous places. Pounce on the puck. Keep doing it. It's also why the superstars are rarely the guys to beat the Rangers, and why it's usually a guy with all of 3 goals scores 2 against the Rangers at the Garden.

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
With Gaborik out, one of these games our lack of offensive depth was going to rear its ugly head.

This game sucked for a few reasons;

1. It was boring. St Louis had as few chances as we did and they shelled for two periods.

2. The calling of the game. I think we saw the replay of that one play 20-30 times over the course of the game, with other important plays being ignored.

3. The noise at the garden. This was the first home game in recent memory withg no Potvin sucks chant audible, and was dead quiet. Pathetic.

4. Anisimov having the game on his stick and failing miserably.

5. Boogaard's continued suckage.

6. 5 minute major fail.

All in all, we should be thankful this flat effort came against a western conference opponent, and that Gaborik should be back eventually.

Walking dead time for me, so peace.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Damn I am glad that i missed that one

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Well, playing the Capitals on Tuesday should be fun.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 09:10 PM
chosen

Blues might be best defensive team in league. Had a lot to do with what we saw.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 09:13 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
I'm not gonna lie, I knew we wouldn't score on the major. No one ever scores on a major.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Norwegian
Pitbull Sniper

zuccarello with hat-trick and one assist today. could he help?

Norwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 09:27 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRanger View Post
Then why can the Rangers play a puck control game on the road?

If someone can please explain to me why the Rangers can string three passes tape to tape together on the road, but can't do it at home, then I'll agree that the Garden ice has nothing to do with it.

As for the other team having to play on the same ice--is the other team playing the same game? The answer is NO. A team not relying on getting the puck through the neutral zone with passing or puck carrying doesn't have to worry about the ice conditions. The Blues didn't rush the puck. They waited for the Rangers to mishandle the puck, then gain possession and shoot in. The goal was scored ONLY because Boogaard gave up a 3 on 2. The Blues did not rely on puck possession.

It's pretty obvious how to beat the Rangers at the Garden. I'm absolutely shocked that you experts haven't picked up on it yet. The other teams don't care about possession, just pressure. Because the ice is so terrible, the Rangers will cough up the puck in dangerous places. Pounce on the puck. Keep doing it. It's also why the superstars are rarely the guys to beat the Rangers, and why it's usually a guy with all of 3 goals scores 2 against the Rangers at the Garden.
The Rangers have to learn to be just as patient because that's all the Blues needed. Finally a key defensive mistake was made and Steen wripped a shot passed Biron on the 3-2.
I think the Rangers have to play more conservative at home. All is well when the forecheck is working and they're finding ways to get the puck to the net. I actually thought the Rangers played a better game tonight, than they did against the Devils.
The power play however, does seem to be more effective on the road (even if pucks aren't going in). Conklin was able to see every shot tonight. I don't remember any shots coming from the point where someone was standing in way of his vision. The Blues were pressuring the point men hard but the Rangers just seemed to be holding their sticks real tight tonight. To their credit, they should have at least 1pt and Frolov's goal should have counted. But I thought the Blues (like the Flyers) were the 2 best defensive team's the Rangers have seen thus far (maybe all season). The team really needs Gabby back because you can't count on Dubinsky, Cally, and Anisimov each night (and all Anisimov had to do was move his stick to the back hand and he could have tapped in the open netter .)

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 09:32 PM
bradrich99

Hard to believe that the Blues were playing without 6 starters tonight and they still shut us out. They were without:

Halak, Perron, Jackman, Polak, Colaiacovo and Winchester.

Starting to think that this start by the Blues might not be a fluke. They can play a low scoring boring game and wait for their opponent to make a mistake.

bradrich99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 09:37 PM
XLJ

Really boring game. The blues are a very good defensive team. This game and the game against colorado are the two games where they just couldn't score. I guess you got to kind of expect this from time to time without Gaborik.

The powerplay looked really bad. Del Zotto cant hit the net when he shoots. They are really missing a shooter on the point to complement DZ.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 09:53 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Look through past GDTs of Blues games on the other teams' HF pages and the Blues are definitely not known for a "boring style of play" or boring games in general among most non-Blues fans who have seen them play. This is something you don't have to take my word for. (Also, as an aside, the Blues primary defensive scheme is a 2-3 forecheck...not a trap.) They are a good defensive team, but it's because the forwards are backchecking hard every shift and because of solid play in their own zone.

This game featured two teams with tired legs playing on awful ice. Toss in the fact that both teams have a lot of injuries to important players, and that's a combination that's not going to lead to a lot of crisp, clean, exciting, well-executed hockey. We shouldn't be too surprised that we didn't see very much of that tonight.

Best of luck this season.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 09:57 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Oh please -- what are you, the MSG broadcast team? Mr. positives?

Sounds like Stan ****in' Fischler over here.

The reason why the Rangers get shutout or so often put up a poor effort and barely any goals at home is because they SUCK at home. It's the RANGERS play a lot more-so than it is the OPPONENTS play.

So so so sick of hearing about how a team has 'penalty-killed good all night long' when the Rangers make it terribly easy for any team to come in and dominate them.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:04 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Went to the game tonight.

Our forecheck was HORRENDOUS. We would dump the puck in, and not chase it. Not a big fan of the dump-and-do-nothing system.

Also, WRAP-AROUNDS. For the first few times I would say something about Frolov until I realized the entire team was doing it. Terrible.

We just didn't show up tonight. Everybody played equally meh.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:20 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post

Apparently I'm the guy who understands what he is seeing when he watches the games. As someone who has seen quite a few of the Blues' games this year, I'm fairly certain that to date, they are probably the best all-around defensive team I have seen this year. They are playing an extremely disciplined system at the moment and they have a lot of players that have bought into it.

You appear to be one of those fans who believe that there is only one team on the ice in every game that the Rangers play. Sometimes what an opponent does has an effect on the outcome. It's not always about the things that bother you about the Rangers.

By the way, in 12 games, the Blues have given up a total of 18 goals, but to you that is probably irrelevant to what you think you saw tonight.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:44 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:

He's right. They're GA/G is 1.42. No need to be such a dick about it.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Prospal Christensen Gaborik
Dubinsky Anisimov Callahan
Grachev Stepan MZA / Drury
Prust Boyle Avery
Boogard
Fedotenko

Staal Rozsival
DZ Girardi
Sauer Eminger
Gilroy

Lundqvist
Biron

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 11:06 PM
trilobyte

S'okay. The better team won.

Looking forward to the Caps. That could be fun. The Leafs took them to overtime last week, Rangers could trip them up. If you don't believe that, no point in even rooting for them.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 11:10 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If we can actually play the "Torts system" we can potentially beat the Caps.

If we don't, and play like we did tonight, we have no chance in hell.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

not enough credit to the Blues given out. They played an absolutely suffocating game.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 11:42 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post

You are not wrong there. Definitely top-3.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:

The reason why the Rangers get shutout or so often put up a poor effort and barely any goals at home is because they SUCK at home. It's the RANGERS play a lot more-so than it is the OPPONENTS play.

So so so sick of hearing about how a team has 'penalty-killed good all night long' when the Rangers make it terribly easy for any team to come in and dominate them.
Against many teams, you would probably be correct, and there is no reason to excuse the Rangers poor play, however in this case, you are wrong.

The Blues have been playing phenomenal hockey, and I think their record speaks for itself. They are one of the hardest working teams in the league. They may not have the flare of Washington, but they play a strong 60 minutes.

The Rangers obviously have their share of issues, but don't take anything away from the skill St. Louis has.

11-08-2010, 12:17 AM
mrhockey193195

sorry to shift gears, but does anyone have video of JD on the pregame show? I missed it and was hoping to catch what he said.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote