HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Franson

Old
10-27-2010, 01:50 PM
lightning_legwand*

vCash: 500
Franson

Anybody else noticing how much better he is this season than last? He seems to be hitting more and skating better!

Did you see him on that breakaway against Tampa on sunday? Wow!

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
Anybody else noticing how much better he is this season than last? He seems to be hitting more and skating better!

Orr-esque ... I kid, I kid

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 02:39 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

It's the #4 versus the #32. #4 is a faster number, thus making him look faster. Sulzer and OB now need to trade in #52 and #55 for single digits. Then everyone will be fast.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 07:35 PM
token grinder

he must be channeling his inner shane o'brien

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 08:49 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
he must be channeling his inner shane o'brien
Hahaha! Thats what I was thinking too!!

But in all seriousness, perhaps O'Briens physical play is making Cody follow by example.

Old
10-27-2010, 10:28 PM
IngloriusBuzzards

Quote:

Ummmm..... Yes! Kid looks solid out there.

IngloriusBuzzards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 10:37 PM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Hahaha! Thats what I was thinking too!!

But in all seriousness, perhaps O'Briens physical play is making Cody follow by example.
i still havent noticed franson being physical out there. and while it was a nice goal the other day, that doesnt make him better this year in my mind. he might be slightly better, but he is still slow. i thought he wasnt even going to get a shot off the other night, dude was coming from behind QUICK.

i do however think that since sulzer has been up, franson has looked better than he did the first 6 games this year.

not crowning the kid anything yet.

is he better than last year, yes. but he should be better than last year. he is slightly better, but getting better every game. all we can ask i guess of all our players. so keep it up franson!

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 01:56 AM
predfan24

Once again his speed issues are overblown. As a D-man as long as he has good positioning he won't have any problems relating to speed. He hasn't blown me away but he has been solid so far this year. I don't understand why he is such a whipping boy.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 02:37 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Once again his speed issues are overblown. As a D-man as long as he has good positioning he won't have any problems relating to speed. He hasn't blown me away but he has been solid so far this year. I don't understand why he is such a whipping boy.
Amen! We should be stoked about this guy!!

Old
10-28-2010, 02:54 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Fransons the man

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 03:59 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Ive said it since last year... Franson is highly underrated by Preds fans and is a pretty damn good dman

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 11:02 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Ive said it since last year... Franson is highly underrated by Preds fans and is a pretty damn good dman
Why is that though? Its sooooo weird!!!

This guy is a huge, rock solid, young defenseman, and he is always being put down by "some" pred fans.

Soooo wack!!

Old
10-29-2010, 06:46 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Franson will end up being a solid defenseman with good offensive numbers

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 07:42 AM
jlsg

Quote:

This guy is a huge, rock solid, young defenseman, and he is always being put down by "some" pred fans.

Soooo wack!!
Because right now Trotz is able to protect him. He plays against the 3rd and 4th lines and on PP. He has the lowest TOI for a regular dman on the team. When he plays against top lines his speed and positioning are exposed. He's getting better but he is by far the weakest defenseman on the team. He does have a good, quick wrist shot but there is a reason he's only getting 15 minutes TOI per game.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
but... but.. but.. we need to trade him.... he is only good bc he plays against the other teams worst players

agreed ive always loved this kid and was one of the few supporting him over summer and last year.. underrated .. least till this year where hes proving he can do it against better players.

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 10:19 AM
token grinder

it is a new day...
i still hate his game

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 04:48 AM
goalscorer

Quote:

Soooo wack!!
Just wondering why "some" is in quotes.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 08:28 AM
glenngineer

Watching Franson so far this season is like waiting for a train wreck to happen. Sometimes he makes a good play, other times, not so much. Let him develop a little more and we'll see what happens. I'm not sure he'll be that great but at the same time, if he can gain some experience without losing his confidence, he could turn out ok just the same.

Watching Sulzer play however, I feel much more confident in his game. He is much more polished at this point. He is good with the puck, can skate, plays with some physicality and protects his goalie. It'll be interesting who sits when Suter comes back.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 08:35 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Sulzer has always been the more steady player of the two. He really has been unlucky by being stuck behind so many capable defenseman. I think Franson's criticism comes from a fan base that has been absolutely spoiled by rock-solid defensive play with elite-level defensive prospects. We have, to be blunt, the best group of defensive prospects, and even when we have stud's like Weber/Suter leave the pipeline, we immediately fill it with Blum/Ellis and guys in the later rounds that look arguably even better (Josi comes to mind).

10-30-2010, 04:36 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

blum/ellis/josi wouldnt be able to fill in the massive hole that Weber/Suter would leave us with, atleast not for a long long time, if ever. Weber/Suter right now is our team, without them we'd be very Edmonton like right now.

With that said Franson gets the nod over Sulzer in our lineup for a reason and he will develop into a good Offensive Dman who will probably start picking up his defensive side as he gets older. Id take Franson over Sulzer 12 out of 10 times, not knocking on Sulzer but imo he is just a plug for our defense until some of our D prospects are ready to step up to the big club.

Old
10-30-2010, 06:49 PM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Ya View Post
blum/ellis/josi wouldnt be able to fill in the massive hole that Weber/Suter would leave us with, atleast not for a long long time, if ever. Weber/Suter right now is our team, without them we'd be very Edmonton like right now.

With that said Franson gets the nod over Sulzer in our lineup for a reason and he will develop into a good Offensive Dman who will probably start picking up his defensive side as he gets older. Id take Franson over Sulzer 12 out of 10 times, not knocking on Sulzer but imo he is just a plug for our defense until some of our D prospects are ready to step up to the big club.
Sulzer may be holding a spot for blum et al, but anyone that can argue Franson can play any kinda D is just not paying attn. Another ex: Tonight - 2 turnovers and then poor defense letting those guys crash. His D is terrible -just like the posters above were pointing out - when Trotz can protect him playing against most teams 3 and 4 lines he's serviceable, but otherwise, he's a less-mobile zidsucky.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 07:02 PM
OpenWheel

Franson plays because he's better for the powerplay and offense than Sulzer.

Defensively Sulzer looks ok to me. He makes mistakes but he's a decent defenseman. More mobile than Franson anyway. Sulzer got points at the AHL level so he also has some skill there, although whether it translates I don't know.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 07:49 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
Sulzer may be holding a spot for blum et al, but anyone that can argue Franson can play any kinda D is just not paying attn. Another ex: Tonight - 2 turnovers and then poor defense letting those guys crash. His D is terrible -just like the posters above were pointing out - when Trotz can protect him playing against most teams 3 and 4 lines he's serviceable, but otherwise, he's a less-mobile zidsucky.
thats why he is still developing his defensive side of his game, and hes very young who we all know has a great shot and can make good passes. Not all our dmen are goin to turn into Webers or Suters but will develop their own style of game and hopefully he will get his defensive game together because he would end up very serviceable for our team imo.

Old
10-30-2010, 07:51 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Franson plays because he's better for the powerplay and offense than Sulzer.

Defensively Sulzer looks ok to me. He makes mistakes but he's a decent defenseman. More mobile than Franson anyway. Sulzer got points at the AHL level so he also has some skill there, although whether it translates I don't know.
Exactly, and until/if Sulzer does translate it to the nhl level Franson will continue to be above Sulzer.

Old
10-30-2010, 09:09 PM
lightning_legwand*

I think that Franson has top 2/3 defenseman capability. Time will tell, but he is playing very well at this young age, and has a guy like Weber who is from same area as him and can mentor him big time!

I have very high hopes for Cody!