HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

LA Times, Bill Plaschke: Come along for a Kings joy ride

Old
11-07-2010, 11:45 PM
Orenji

vCash: 500
I miss Adande.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
Day-um dawg, chill on the language. It ain't the 1950s.
they swore more in the 1950's?

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
TJ and Plaschke both are. I can't stand either of them, as they come across as sports wannabes that were never physically gifted enough to play a game of dodge-ball, let alone professional level sports IMO. Helene Elliott is the only one at the LA Times that gives a rats ass about Hockey, yet she's the one that people here make fun of ?

OK, at least I'm not the only one that sees it
The thing I hate about both of these guys is they write like it's a chore to have to cover hockey. Plaschke even makes it perfectly clear that's it's a "football Saturday" but he's drawn the short straw so he has to cover hockey (hey *****, it's Saturday Night Hockey!)

Then a few blurbs about the UCLA game and USC games in the middle of a hockey piece?!?!?!? Why bother?

Any chance that when he does a basketball piece he slips in a hockey sentence or two? We all know the answer to that.

The LAT staff is so UNprofessional, it continues to amaze me. I hate soccer, boxing and basketball, but if I got paid to write about these sports, I would realize they have an audience and I'd leave my feelings at the door and try to write objectively.

And your comment about Helene is exactly correct - why does she get ANY grief from Kings' fans?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Chruceg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsation8 View Post
Wait, we advanced passed the 1st round?
The full quote is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Plaschke
To advance past the first round of the playoffs for only the second time since their 1993 trip to the Stanley Cup finals, they're going to have to find a scorer somewhere this season.
What he's saying is that in order for the Kings to get to the second round for the second time since 1993 they will need another scorer. The first time he is referring to is 2001 when the Kings beat Detroit in the first round and lost to the Avalanche in the second round.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:38 AM
fyrescorp

If Plaschke doesn'tcover hockey, and doesn't even like it, how does he know what the Kings need.

What a ginormous tool.....

fyrescorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:57 PM
ShattStar03

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrescorp View Post
If Plaschke doesn'tcover hockey, and doesn't even like it, how does he know what the Kings need.

What a ginormous tool.....
So what, I enjoyed the article. Finally the Kings are starting to get respect within their own hometown.

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

It was a little schlocky and phoned in, sure, but I think it had a clear audience and made an effort to reach them.

I'm not a huge fan of Platschke but in this case he was asked to step outside his comfort zone and made no secrets about that in his piece.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
I miss Adande.
Hell yes! That guy is a great writer and a total class act, wonderful credit to the field.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Quattro

You people need to unbunch your panties. You whine when the local media ignores hockey then you whine when they actually write about it.

We don't live in Toronto. Get over it.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 05:07 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
You people need to unbunch your panties. You whine when the local media ignores hockey then you whine when they actually write about it.

That is one guy I would rather just have ignore the Kings. He knows nothing and cares nothing about hockey and it shows in his writing. I would rather have no article over the piece of excrement Plashcke wrote.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Mr Irreverent
Thiago who???

I'm glad LA Times stays away from hockey. Less morAns at Staples Center, unless of course the Red Wings are in town.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 05:13 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
That is one guy I would rather just have ignore the Kings. He knows nothing and cares nothing about hockey and it shows in his writing. I would rather have no article over the piece of excrement Plashcke wrote.
whats even weirder...is this clown covers basketball too..and his articles about the lakers have always been terrible. HIs hate for Kobe is priceless.

One would think a sports writer for the LA times would be able to understand both the lakers and kings.. then again..the la times endorsed brown too..

scramble91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 05:17 PM
fyrescorp

Quote:
I agree. I don't "have my panties in a bunch" and never complained that there wasn't enough local coverage. I couldn't care less. I find any info I need in other places. Not that roll of TP the LA Times. If he doesn't care about hockey enough to write a respectful article, let someone else write it.
As for his article, I wished I had never read it and like most of his junk, I feel dumber for reading it.

Old
11-08-2010, 05:22 PM
ShattStar03

Quote:
I agree. I don't "have my panties in a bunch" and never complained that there wasn't enough local coverage. I couldn't care less. I find any info I need in other places. Not that roll of TP the LA Times. If he doesn't care about hockey enough to write a respectful article, let someone else write it.
As for his article, I wished I had never read it and like most of his junk, I feel dumber for reading it.

Simple solution to your problem, if you don't like what the LA Times writes, then don't read it. Simple as that; problem solved.

Old
11-08-2010, 05:25 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post
Simple solution to your problem, if you don't like what the LA Times writes, then don't read it. Simple as that; problem solved.
It is a simple solution, however anyone that reads it has every right to criticize it.

Do they not?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 05:30 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Is this the dude on Around the Horn with the goofy goatee? I agree with the general "he doesn't know jack about hockey" consensus in this thread. He should stick to the Lakers.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 05:46 PM
ShattStar03

Quote:
It is a simple solution, however anyone that reads it has every right to criticize it.

Do they not?
Sure

However, if you're constantly dissatisfied with their coverage , wouldn't it be more logical to pick another resource for hockey coverage? I don't think criticizing the LA Times is going to do you very good, it's like beating a dead horse.

Old
11-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Dr. Naysay

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Naysay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post

And some of you need to pay more attention.

Not ALL of us whine when the Kings get no coverage. At this point I couldn't possibly care less if the L.A. Times chose not to cover hockey. I don't care how popular it is or how many other people like it. The sport has a home on cable television and on the internet and I don't want for wall to wall Kings coverage with over 15 dedicated blogs covering the team.

What I care about is the smarmy and smug attitude that people treat ALL sports they don't care for or understand. Whether it's Soccer, NASCAR, Jai alai or hockey.

Plaschke has admitted that he's not a hockey fan and the LA Times have multiple qualified columnists who could (and did) cover the team that weekend. So I feel no shame in rolling my eyes at Mr. Plaschke's article.

Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 05:50 PM
ShattStar03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
And some of you need to pay more attention.

Not ALL of us whine when the Kings get no coverage. At this point I couldn't possibly care less if the L.A. Times chose not to cover hockey. I don't care how popular it is or how many other people like it. The sport has a home on cable television and on the internet and I don't want for wall to wall Kings coverage with over 15 dedicated blogs covering the team.

What I care about is the smarmy and smug attitude that people treat ALL sports they don't care for or understand. Whether it's Soccer, NASCAR, Jai alai or hockey.

Plaschke has admitted that he's not a hockey fan and the LA Times have multiple qualified columnists who could (and did) cover the team that weekend. So I feel no shame in rolling my eyes at Mr. Plaschke's article.
Couldn't agree more.

Old
11-08-2010, 06:05 PM
fyrescorp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post
Couldn't agree more.
I'm sorry, Mr SS03, but didn't Dr. Naysay say pretty much what I said? You are correct, don't like the Times, don't read it. I just stated I didn't like the article and Plaschke is clueless when it comes to hockey.

Old
11-08-2010, 11:51 PM
ShattStar03

Quote:
I'm sorry, Mr SS03, but didn't Dr. Naysay say pretty much what I said? You are correct, don't like the Times, don't read it. I just stated I didn't like the article and Plaschke is clueless when it comes to hockey.
Not that I recall.

Old
11-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Kingler

People are looking way too much into this

The Kings are finally getting some good press coverage, more crowds, and more bottomline $$$. The money can be used to run the team, signing guys like Doughty/Johnson/Simmonds and getting quality UFAs

Fair weather fans and press coverage are apart of every teams, some may have them more than others but there's really nothing to complain about.

Kingler is offline   Reply With Quote