HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Primeau Signs Four-Year, $17M Contract

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2004, 12:01 PM
Jackmangurl05

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jackmangurl05 Send a message via Yahoo to Jackmangurl05
Primeau Signs Four-Year, $17M Contract

Primeau Signs Four-Year Contract
The Philadelphia Flyers announced today that they have signed center Keith Primeau to a four-year contract, according to General Manager Bob Clarke. Per club policy, financial terms were not disclosed. Primeau, 32, recorded seven goals and 15 assists for 22 points and 80 penalty minutes in 54 games this season for the Flyers. More info to follow.

Just found this on www.philadelphiaflyers.com

Now, I can breath, he's not going anywhere !!!!!

Old
06-14-2004, 12:06 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
there were murmurs on another board this was done. now there is an official link.

4 years though?!?!?!? OK he had a great (home) playoff season, but 4 years? I hope he took a paycut knowing he'll be the 3rd line Center...

at least he's here. that is good, although I think it went without saying he'd be back.

Old
06-14-2004, 12:12 PM
BladesofSteel21

Great that he signed, but 4 yrs. I hope this does'nt turn out to be John LeClair all
over again.

Old
06-14-2004, 12:14 PM
Pelle31

That's great the Flyers resigned Primeau. Now if they can part ways with LeClair and Amonte it would be a bonus. Four years is long but if plays like he did in this past year's playoffs it will be worth it.

Old
06-14-2004, 12:26 PM
goodrev

i read somewhere that it was a 4 year 4.5 million dollar contract, i wouldnt be suprised... not a reliable scource but just a hint to where it may be around, i would expect him to play for 4 years at 4 mill i think as the team captain and being the ULTIMATE team player this season completely changing his game and becoming the most dominant defensive foward in the NHL would warrant him money like that, not to mention how he played in the playoffs. glad to hear he has been resigned and that he will be with this team for 4 more years

Old
06-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
I really don't mind Primeau for 4 more years at 4-4.5 mil' per year. He was making 5 mil this year, no? So over the long haul we save $2 million. Doesn't sound like a big number, but it helps.
He was our leader all season long, on and off the ice. His mere presence on the ice gave the Flyers an air of confidence and swagger. With him in the lineup we were an intimidating team, while Preems was hurt, we were a marginal .500 team. You can't put a dollar amount on facts like that.

Old
06-14-2004, 12:50 PM
fan mao rong

If it's 4.5 million, last season he defferred 2 million over 4 years or 1/2 million a year, so let's say he'll continue to pull in 5 million in compensation for the next 4 years, or at least when games are actually paid er played.

Old
06-14-2004, 01:09 PM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
that's a good news. I'm a bit surprise with the length of the contract but if he plays like that for four years, that's okay!

Old
06-14-2004, 01:31 PM
Diesel

Primeau will be a great locker room presence for the young guys like carter, richards, umberger, etc.

Old
06-14-2004, 01:37 PM
Dizzy

TSN is saying that it's $4.5 million for the first 2 years and $4 million for the last 2.

Old
06-14-2004, 01:42 PM
Flyers26

Ya knew Clarke & co. wouldn't let him become a UFA. Nice move, 4 years is alot, but as a 3rd line center, no reason he won't be a player, towards the end of his contract.

Old
06-14-2004, 01:49 PM
Jackmangurl05

Send a message via MSN to Jackmangurl05 Send a message via Yahoo to Jackmangurl05
More about the signing from www.philadelphiaflyers.com

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/pr...chive/1645.asp

Old
06-14-2004, 02:20 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
At least we dont have to worry about Preems anymore. ya get close to that July 1st date and you wonder whether you can get your own guys locked up.
I might be in the minority in this 4 years at an average at 4.25 million(4.5 first 2, 4 the last 2 years) i think its a GREAT deal for this franchise. For what he meant to this team on the ice and in the lockerroom you cant teach that. IMO.
Now onto other business regarding Leclair,Amonte, and Recchi
buy out Leclair
trade Amonte ( i think his contract is easier to deal with)
resign Recchi (at a lower base, higher signing bonus deal)

as far as Umberger goes the risk far outweighs the nergative in this signing. yeah they might have overpaid him but in the longrun when you can make a move like this to improve the future of this club you roll the dice and take a chance.

Old
06-14-2004, 02:25 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
At least we dont have to worry about Preems anymore. ya get close to that July 1st date and you wonder whether you can get your own guys locked up.
I might be in the minority in this 4 years at an average at 4.25 million(4.5 first 2, 4 the last 2 years) i think its a GREAT deal for this franchise. For what he meant to this team on the ice and in the lockerroom you cant teach that. IMO.
Now onto other business regarding Leclair,Amonte, and Recchi
buy out Leclair
trade Amonte ( i think his contract is easier to deal with)
resign Recchi (at a lower base, higher signing bonus deal)

as far as Umberger goes the risk far outweighs the nergative in this signing. yeah they might have overpaid him but in the longrun when you can make a move like this to improve the future of this club you roll the dice and take a chance.

100% agreed on everything. What could we get for Amonte ? I like Handzuz, but do we have room for him? ?? Centers - Roenick,Primms,Handzuz, Richards, Carter, Umberger,Sharp, ( Zhamnov , UFA)

Old
06-14-2004, 02:29 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

this year he proved that he's the leader of this team. it's always a good idea to avoid having guys like him test the market.

"Iím pleased to be back and excited for next season."
-Keith Primeau-

Old
06-14-2004, 02:34 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16
100% agreed on everything. What could we get for Amonte ? I like Handzuz, but do we have room for him? ?? Centers - Roenick,Primms,Handzuz, Richards, Carter, Umberger,Sharp, ( Zhamnov , UFA)
Safe to write in pen that Zhamnov will not be back with the Flyers. He was invisible after the 1st round and they have plenty of centers now.

Old
06-14-2004, 03:30 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
Safe to write in pen that Zhamnov will not be back with the Flyers. He was invisible after the 1st round and they have plenty of centers now.
I'm not so sure you're correct with this statement. Clarke already expressed that he wanted to bring Zhamnov back. In addition, Roenicks future is uncertain as is Kapanen's. The flyers need to retain as many forwards as possible because if those two retire (unlikely that both will) and Leclair and Amonte are gone, that's four forwards that need to be replaced. I think you'll see Zhamnov back at around 3-3.5 mil per year, I think Primeau's contract sets a precendence for Alex's signing as it's clear that Primeau is a more valuable player.

Old
06-14-2004, 04:13 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFlyer
Great that he signed, but 4 yrs. I hope this does'nt turn out to be John LeClair all over again.
Primeau isn't making $9 million a year, and is a two-way player. Even in a worst case scenario, this is exponentially better than the disaster that is the Leclair deal.

Glad to see we'll have Primeau around for quite a while.

Old
06-14-2004, 04:21 PM
FlyerFire

great signing

he was a playoff warrior.Congrats Keith you earned it!

Old
06-14-2004, 05:23 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

this made my day too

Old
06-14-2004, 10:30 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
Primeau isn't making $9 million a year, and is a two-way player. Even in a worst case scenario, this is exponentially better than the disaster that is the Leclair deal.
Yes, it just doesn't compare to the LeClair deal at all.

At the time LeClair signed that contract, we ALL knew it would blow up in our, and more importantly Clarke's face.

Old
06-15-2004, 01:08 AM
goodrev

tell you what, if primeau misses big time like leclair did after he signed the big contract... we got a lot more to worry about than him coming back and how he will play, the team is awful without him playing just above .500 hockey this season

in all seriousness though, major injuries can not be predicted. a major back injury has changed leclair as a player and he has never been the same since. things like that could happen to a young or old player and you could never know who it will be... i just hope to god none of our star players suffer any more serious career threatening injuries

Roenick (concussion)
Leclair (back)
Pitkanen (multiple light grade concussions- could be bad, lets hope to god its not)
Dejardins (broken arm, compliments of roenick of course)

and the list goes on... injuries like these could easily change a player and how he plays we just have to hope that they dont

Old
06-15-2004, 06:59 AM
BrindA17

Send a message via AIM to BrindA17
A year ago I would have said "damn it!" in response to the news.

Earlier this week, it was more of a "whoohoo!"

Old
06-15-2004, 07:44 AM
Flyers26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
Yes, it just doesn't compare to the LeClair deal at all.

At the time LeClair signed that contract, we ALL knew it would blow up in our, and more importantly Clarke's face.
You people seem to forget, at the time of LeClair's resigning, Lindros was done, and there was no way Clarke could let LeClair go also.

Old
06-15-2004, 09:29 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers26
You people seem to forget, at the time of LeClair's resigning, Lindros was done, and there was no way Clarke could let LeClair go also.

No LeClair = No Roenick = No subsequent moves to improve the team = #8-10 in the East the past few years, and that's not even a good draft pick, and not good enough to be a contender. Primeau and Gagne both went down hill the next season, and it would have been real ugly.

However, LeClair didn't actually want to sign for that much and the NHLPA pressured him to do so, thinking he was a premiere player. Oops.

Closed Thread