HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues

Am I the only one? (Mod: more entertained by minor league hockey than NHL)

Old
11-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Johnny8242

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
Am I the only one? (Mod: more entertained by minor league hockey than NHL)

Recently I've found myself being more entertained watching Minor League hockey then the NHL. Honestly I like the somewhat obscurity of it. Plus I seem to get a better bang for buck then going to a Thrashers game. Am I the only one who feels like Minor/Junior hockey is more fun to watch then the NHL?

Johnny8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Bacdahelup

When it comes to being there in person, give me a good college game any day. In the early to mid 90s for about 6
years I didn't miss going to any BGSU home games. Course they've been awful for the last decade and I moved away.
I'm biased now since I take care of the ice for the Walleye and get a front row zam seat for every game.
Red Wings always come first in importance. I mean we're talking about being a fan of one team for 25+
years vs. a team which is a year old.

Bacdahelup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny8242 View Post
Recently I've found myself being more entertained watching Minor League hockey then the NHL. Honestly I like the somewhat obscurity of it. Plus I seem to get a better bang for buck then going to a Thrashers game. Am I the only one who feels like Minor/Junior hockey is more fun to watch then the NHL?
I like minor or junior or college better at least during the regular season. NHL playoffs are still great to watch. Those other leagues play hard every night trying to get to the next level so they have the intensity that the NHL doesn't always have during the regular season.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 08:59 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
I like minor or junior or college better at least during the regular season. NHL playoffs are still great to watch. Those other leagues play hard every night trying to get to the next level so they have the intensity that the NHL doesn't always have during the regular season.
I will go a step further and say that the most entertaining on-ice product for the dollar is the ECHL. I think the AHL product is a shell of what it used to be as it's about player development first and winning is secondary while the ECHL is about winning.

That said, you hit the nail on the head about the NHL playoffs. There is nothing better in sports than the NHL playoffs IMO.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 07:23 PM
desert dawg

I Agree

Took in AAHL game last year while in Battle Creek- very entertaining with goals, fights, intensity, and even referee mistakes added to the fun-
Like going to Prescott Valley to take in Sundogs in CHL- especially when the building is full, intensity level is pretty good, especially when teams play the second of two games on a Saturday night-
Agree with comment on AHL- I saw the Sunday games on the NHL network and they were low key- not suprising considering teams were playing 3rd game in 3 nights, and buildings were not even half full-
Fans are staying away from Yotes so far- mid week games, bad location, unsure ownership, and the economy are all to blame-now they have followed baseball and have the higher prices for "marquee" teams like the Penguins- they just had 14,000 for them instead of usual 17,000-

desert dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 08:15 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Dollar for dollar, the ECHL is absolutely better than the NHL during the regular season. The entertainment gap is actually very small, as long as you don't mind somewhat sloppier play, but the tickets cost only 1/2 as much.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 11:34 PM
SNM87
Habby Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny8242 View Post
It all depends where you are from I suppose, I'm guessing from the Thrashers comment you are from Georgia, well I live about 45 minutes out of Montreal so it is much different for myself. We don't have much minor league hockey up here in Canada other than a few AHL franchises and an FHL franchise as well as the LNAH, although I do enjoy watching the Hamilton Bulldogs play I would always rather go and watch a hockey game in the nosebleeds with some 20,000 plus fans rather than sit and watch the minors with 4000.

SNM87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 09:20 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitants19 View Post
It all depends where you are from I suppose, I'm guessing from the Thrashers comment you are from Georgia, well I live about 45 minutes out of Montreal so it is much different for myself. We don't have much minor league hockey up here in Canada other than a few AHL franchises and an FHL franchise as well as the LNAH, although I do enjoy watching the Hamilton Bulldogs play I would always rather go and watch a hockey game in the nosebleeds with some 20,000 plus fans rather than sit and watch the minors with 4000.
While you don't have minor league hockey, you have juniors. I went to my very first OHL game this year and was extremely entertained. If I lived in Canada I could absolutely see being a STH for the local junior team.

That said we certainly disagree about your last sentence. Personally I would rather not go to a game if my only option was sitting in the nosebleeds. For me I love the old 4000-10000 seat minor league arenas and would much rather go there instead of the new NHL arenas with their levels of luxury boxes that puts the nosebleeds even further away from the action.

Old
11-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Steelhead16

[QUOTE=pelts35.com;28936280]While you don't have minor league hockey, you have juniors. I went to my very first OHL game this year and was extremely entertained. If I lived in Canada I could absolutely see being a STH for the local junior team.

That said we certainly disagree about your last sentence. Personally I would rather not go to a game if my only option was sitting in the nosebleeds. For me I love the old 4000-10000 seat minor league arenas and would much rather go there instead of the new NHL arenas with their levels of luxury boxes that puts the nosebleeds even further away from the action.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:30 AM
billycanuck

Nothing beats the NHL Playoffs (wish I could afford a playoff game to see one live). After that, I love watching NCAA D1 games (my fiance's brother plays for Colorado College and a buddy of mine played for Northeastern) and the atmosphere in the those rinks are awesome.

But I agree with most of you that taking in a live NHL regular season game just isn't as fun as a NCAA, WHL, or BCHL game. I haven't been to a ECHL or AHL game yet, but hoping to next year. Been to a couple of IHL (now CHL) games those were rough and entertaining.

billycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Prussian_Blue

In my many years as a hockey fan, I've seen games in the NHL, WHA, AHL, old CHL, old IHL, USHL, old pro WHL, ECHL, UHL, major junior WHL, NCAA Div I and NCAA Div III.

I love college and minor-league hockey. Yes, the NHL playoffs are the pinnacle, but being there live for the Denver Spurs' Lester Patrick Cup in 1972, or the Swift Current Broncos' WHL championship in 1989, was pretty sweet, too.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Chazz
HFBoards Sponsor

i love all levels of hockey....but being live at an NHL game is the best

Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Windstorm

As good as NHL hockey is, I'm not strictly an NHL fan. I enjoy pretty much any level of hockey. We don't have a lot of minor leagues here in BC, but plenty of junior hockey. My favourite league is probably the BCHL Junior A league.

Windstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 01:42 PM
adsfan

Johnny, I like the AHL and Div. I hockey. I have seen the old IHL and a few NHL games. With you being a Thrashers fan, I am not surprised by your attitude. Atlanta mostly stinks as an NHL team, whereas their farm team, the Chicago Wolves, win often and are entertaining. I want to point out that I am a Milwaukee Admirals fan, Chicago's archrival.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:02 AM
Shil27

Having only watched NHL hockey, I was a little skeptical as to whether I would enjoy watching ECHL games when the Greenville Road Warriors came to town. Now I can't believe what I had been missing all this time! There seems to be a lot more hitting and there's no tv timeouts. I've also started watching some SPHL games online through America One and those games have been VERY entertaining -- those guys get down right nasty in their games!

Shil27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 12:46 PM
gotmonte

To the OP:

Yes.. yes you are sir.

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 04:25 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

no hes not. ive been to only nhl games for 30 years and in the past year ive gotten more excitement from going to echl and sphl games. while the speed is claimed to be faster, its a much more hectic game.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 09:43 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

The glory days of the NHL (Orr era, Gretzky era) were expansion periods where the median talent level in the league dropped very suddenly. There were lots of mistakes and bad defense, leading to a more exciting brand of hockey.

I believe that hockey is not meant to be played to perfection. "Perfect" hockey is boring. Which player would you honestly rather watch for 60 minutes, Lidstrom or Ovechkin? Lundqvist or Thomas? Most people are going to watch the risk-taker who alternates between mistakes and incredible feats of athleticism.

NHL teams often try to play "perfect" hockey, which leads to slow-paced games. Minor leagues have more mistakes due to variations in talent, which probably drives the coaches crazy but is much better from a spectator's point of view.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:33 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
The glory days of the NHL (Orr era, Gretzky era) were expansion periods where the median talent level in the league dropped very suddenly. There were lots of mistakes and bad defense, leading to a more exciting brand of hockey.

I believe that hockey is not meant to be played to perfection. "Perfect" hockey is boring. Which player would you honestly rather watch for 60 minutes, Lidstrom or Ovechkin? Lundqvist or Thomas? Most people are going to watch the risk-taker who alternates between mistakes and incredible feats of athleticism.

NHL teams often try to play "perfect" hockey, which leads to slow-paced games. Minor leagues have more mistakes due to variations in talent, which probably drives the coaches crazy but is much better from a spectator's point of view.
Well said. And, to be honest, that's one reason why I enjoy the ECHL more than the AHL at this point.

Old
02-01-2011, 07:27 PM
desert dawg

Case in Point

Just attended my first game in Ft Wayne-nice crowd, nice arena, and a game which featured some exciting action, a very close game, a fight or two, plus a beautiful game winning goal by Bloomington that demonstrated speed, precision, and power that resulted in the game winning goal with 90 seconds left-
Plus they saluted Radio broadcaster Bob Chase before the game on the occassion of his 85th birthday!! Yes, he is still doing the games!!

desert dawg is offline   Reply With Quote