HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Building Stamina

Old
11-14-2010, 08:47 AM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

vCash: 50
Building Stamina

I have been "chosen" (but will do so very willingly) to play in my HS hockey team's alumni game right before Christmas. In order to get in some shape for the game, I've been biking and lifting weights, but my real issue is building stamina. When I scrimmaged with them last year, I was shell of myself playing only a shift and despite the lack of energy I wanted back out there against my coach's wishes. I don't want a repeat this season. How does one exactly "build stamina"?

puckguy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Crosbyfan

vCash: 500
Basically you need all around general fitness plus some hockey specific fitness for skating shifts and recovery.

So 1. General fitness program
2. Do some skating or play some hockey (or equivalent)

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Ozolinsh_27

Do some fitness work that resembles hockey shifts to develop your anaerobic system and recovery three times a week.

This is from New Rules of Lifting book by Alwyn Cosgrove & Lou Schuler:

Warm up 5 mins, do a couple rounds 1 minutes fast then 2 mins slow several times over and cool down 5 mins.

Start with say, three rounds week 1 and if you find it getting easier, aim for adding an additional round whenever you notice it getting easier - progression is key.

(Disclaimer: in the book, it tells you to stay at 3 rounds for first four weeks and to either complete this on a non lifting day or after lifting - never before lifting because its just too detrimental and will likely take too big of chunk out of your glycogen stores)

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Fleuryoutside29

In addition to everything that has been said on this thread already, I have found that the best way for me to build stamina for playing hockey is to simply get on the ice beforehand. I'm a few years out of playing competitively and despite being in the gym and doing cardio, skating just uses different muscles and when I get on the ice during the summer, I build more stamina every time I step on the ice.

Fleuryoutside29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 07:12 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
The trick is pushing yourself and getting used to pushing yourself past the point of being tired. Once you hit your "second wind" you will always feel a little tired but you can go on forever. I'm sure you can do this with sprints or on a bike, but I do it with playing hockey, normally 4-on-4 or 3-on-3.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 07:17 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
High intensity training. No rest in between sets, low reps, hig weights, build explosive muscle that recovers quickly. Eat a banana to inhibit lactic acid buildup. Eat properly from now until you are supposed to play. Cut body fat. Do cardio. Play pickup.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 07:55 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Jump rope. Trust me.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Blues88

Squat for strength. 5-8 reps. 3-5 sets.

Dont make the same mistakes I made (embracing this way later than need be)

I squatted for a few weeks after I started a regimen early last year. Skating and stamina were never better. Was on the ice 3 days a week @ 2 hours/day. Squats 3x a week.

Drastic improvement.

Good luck.

Blues88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 07:22 AM
Bobby 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckguy11 View Post
I have been "chosen" (but will do so very willingly) to play in my HS hockey team's alumni game right before Christmas. In order to get in some shape for the game, I've been biking and lifting weights, but my real issue is building stamina. When I scrimmaged with them last year, I was shell of myself playing only a shift and despite the lack of energy I wanted back out there against my coach's wishes. I don't want a repeat this season. How does one exactly "build stamina"?
Add the jump robe to what ever your doing. http://hockeystrengthconditioning.co...e-jump-rope-2/

I use the one above and am in the best shape (for hockey) of all the guys on my team. There's some that have use P90X and some other programs but they don't get the same results because those programs on not for hockey.

Seriously, add the jump to your workouts a few times a week.

Bobby 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Ani simov mal

Aerobic and Anaerobic training. Aerobic is a 1:1 work-rest ratio and its the most important source of energy in your body. If you want do on ice aerobic exercise, then do something like skate laps for 10 minutes and then coast for 5 minutes for a total of half an hour. For off ice you can do pro shuttles. Anaerobic is used for bursts of speed. For on ice you can sprint full speed for 15 seconds an then coast for 45 seconds. Off ice you can do 20 yard sprints, or intervals.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Badger36

Theres no replacement for skating, IMO. Start going to public skate and do as many laps as you can.
Off-ice training helps, but there is no replacement for ice time.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 05:42 PM
puck noob

what i do is go out to a trail near my house and I will sprint full speed for 45 seconds then stop, wait 30 seconds then go again and repeat.

puck noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Ani simov mal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigchiefwantdacup View Post
Theres no replacement for skating, IMO. Start going to public skate and do as many laps as you can.
Off-ice training helps, but there is no replacement for ice time.
Of course, but you also have to remember if you're doing on-ice aerobic training then you're going to be breaking your skating technique and building bad habits.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Halifaxhab*

no need for weights. Do Plyometrics 2-3 times a week and some basic areobic training. You'll notice a huge difference after 4 weeks.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote