Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Value of Robyn Regehr?

Old
11-07-2010, 09:09 PM
DoubleJ96

vCash: 500
Value of Robyn Regehr?

I haven't got to watch as many games as I normally do upto this point in the season so I have a 2 part question concerning Robyn Regehr. How is he playing so far this season? And if the flames continue to struggle and Sutter decides to make a move to shake things up, what kind of value does Regehr have in a trade right now?

I know this would all be based of him waiving his no trade and all that but I'm wondering IF he would still have the trade value to bring a higher end forward or a 1st back to the Flames like everyone here thought he did in the summer?

DoubleJ96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 09:39 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Well he is aging buy from what is have seen this season he I playing a pretty solid physical game like Robyn regher usually does. Not sure about his value though it all depends on how bad a team needs/wants a defensive d man. But his age definitely hurts his value.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
Regehr is back to his old self this year. Quite simply he has been outstanding. Even though his aim is not great, he seems to be shooting the puck more this season as well. By far he is the Flames most physical defenceman and roughs up the oppositions best players night in and night out. I think alot of teams would like Regehr, especially those that are considered contenders. I think his value could easily fetch a Savard, or a 1st round pick and above average prospect.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:14 PM
3rdEye
@HawnzDynasty

I would imagine he could fetch a 1st rounder and top 9 player at the deadline.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:21 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
I've seen every game this year, and almost everygame last year, and Robin Regehr is the best player on the team most nights. He does all the little things right. The only thing he has never been good at is shooting the puck, and some nights he gives up body position in front of the crease, but all-in-all one of the best stay-at home defenseman in the league, even at his age.
In my opinion, If he were more offensively skilled, he'd be at par with Nik Lindstrom's abilities. So his worth is a 1st rounder plus more in my books.
He's a great leader, never takes penalties, consistent, great with the media, involved in the community, and I think he's a union delegate with the NHLPA. He's never put up big points, but GM's know his value because he has presense and poise. There's no question that Regehr would be captain if Iggy was not a flame...and that says a lot considering this roster has Borque and Giordano as well.

Last edited by MarkGio: 11-07-2010 at 10:30 PM.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:31 PM
GoFlames

What a depressing thread

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 02:42 AM
ProKessel

He's probably worth a good 3rd rounder.

ProKessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 07:13 AM
slappipappi

He'd be worth a 1st round pick (plus perhaps a little more if the Flames took back some dead salary) from a contender.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 10:13 AM
fullblown nuckfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
I would imagine he could fetch a 1st rounder and top 9 player at the deadline.
i want some of what your puffing on

fullblown nuckfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 10:16 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProKessel View Post
He's probably worth a good 3rd rounder.
Kidding right?

Old
11-08-2010, 01:33 PM
FLAMESTR

I was thinking a top 6 forward and maybe a 2nd rounder.

FLAMESTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 02:09 PM
AnAfricanMidget

I think he would fetch a mid-1st round pick. And like MVW said, he has been great this year.

AnAfricanMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 03:19 PM
flames123

Regehr has been playing great so far this year. He has been playing physical but hasn't really been looking for that big hit that might put him out of position or cause injuries. He seems to be skating better, more agile and fluent. He has had a great first pass this year and has arguably been our best defenseman. Playing well above his 4M salary which makes me happy.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 10:48 AM
GoFlames

Yup Reggie has had an awesome season so far... loving his play.

Old
11-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

He'd easily fetch us a first round pick.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 11:39 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel55 View Post
He'd easily fetch us a first round pick.
He MIGHT fetch a first round pick if the team trading for him knew they were going to finish high in the standings thus giving the Flames a late first round pick. He is a good physical stay-at-home defenceman, but he is a number 3 or 4 defensman on most good teams.

First round picks are more valuable than ever with the Salary cap. You can underpay a young player for several seasons freeing up money for other needs on your team. I'm sure several teams would think twice about giving up a first round choice for a player with limited skills, a $4 million/year contract and now on the wrong side of 30.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 12:38 AM
saillias

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
He MIGHT fetch a first round pick if the team trading for him knew they were going to finish high in the standings thus giving the Flames a late first round pick. He is a good physical stay-at-home defenceman, but he is a number 3 or 4 defensman on most good teams.

First round picks are more valuable than ever with the Salary cap. You can underpay a young player for several seasons freeing up money for other needs on your team. I'm sure several teams would think twice about giving up a first round choice for a player with limited skills, a $4 million/year contract and now on the wrong side of 30.
1st round picks are not any more or less valuable than they've ever been.

Regehr's 4 million does not take away from his value, it adds to it.

30 is not the wrong side of 30.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:02 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:

did you know that there were 13 trades involving 2010 1st round picks?... including a 1st rounder for a player that has never stepped on NHL ice... and another involving Keith Ballard who at best is on par with Regehr

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:07 AM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
did you know that there were 13 trades involving 2010 1st round picks?... including a 1st rounder for a player that has never stepped on NHL ice... and another involving Keith Ballard who at best is on par with Regehr
Who?

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:19 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Who?
the Senators traded their 1st rounder for David Rundblad

Old
11-10-2010, 01:33 AM
Oilfan66

Hes terrible and you should trade him to Oilers for Jason Strudwick!!!!

Tech those nasty Oilers a lesson you would!

Oilfan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 02:23 AM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post

Regehr's 4 million does not take away from his value, it adds to it.

30 is not the wrong side of 30.
First round picks are more valuable when you have a salary cap. Team's can't just spend recklessly like they did in the pre-Salary Cap era to fill a need, whether it's on the defensive or offensive side of things. IF you have a prospect, especially a blue chip-type one, you can plug him into your lineup for 3 years at a max of just under $1 million/ season and essentially underpay him (in some cases, by quite a bit! ie. Jonathan Toews) to fill an important role.

How does a large contract with 3 more years on it add to Regehr's value? I know it guarantees the team trading for him a few more seasons, but some teams may not be willing to take on that type of contract for a number 3 or 4 defenseman who was pretty inconsistent last year.

I was exagerating about the wrong side of 30, so you got me there. WIth that being said, given the physical style he plays, I wouldn't be surprised to see his overall game decline at much quicker rate than a defenseman who plays a less physical but equally defensive game. ie. Lidstrom

Old
11-10-2010, 02:28 AM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Yes, and Keith Ballard was traded for a late first round pick(25th overall) which is probably the most Calgary could hope for.

How is Ballard, at best, on par with Regehr? He certainly brings more offense to the table based on previous seasons.

Old
11-10-2010, 07:37 AM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
That is just wrong.

In a cap world, teams can no fill holes by signing endless UFA's, as the cap prevents them from doing so.

If a team doesn't have draft picks to stockpile good young (read cheap) talent, it will have to plug holes with more expensive veterns on the FA market. This doesn't allow you to dewvelop replacements for your upper talent, and the cycle continues.

High draft picks are the most sought after currency to teams in a cap world.

You can judge the value of a player (in terms of his talent and salary) by seeing if he could be traded simply for draft picks. If he could, he has positive value. If not, he has negative value.

Would anyone give up a draft pick and assume Kotalik's contract? No, so he has negative value. He could only be moved if you take on dead weight salary in return.

IMO, Staios had negative value to every team except Calgary.

In any event, draft picks take on increasing value in a cap world.

They are the gold in a cashless society.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Yes, and Keith Ballard was traded for a late first round pick(25th overall) which is probably the most Calgary could hope for.

How is Ballard, at best, on par with Regehr? He certainly brings more offense to the table based on previous seasons.
thank you for showing how little you know about the game if you are looking at a defensive defensemans offensive production... you aren't even worth debating with...Mod-edit: deleted.

Last edited by Snoil11: 11-10-2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: flaming