Value of Robyn Regehr?

Old
11-10-2010, 09:44 AM
The Gnome

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
the Senators traded their 1st rounder for David Rundblad
Which by the way is making Murray look like a genius. That kid is ripping up the SEL right now.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 12:20 PM
saillias

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
That is just wrong.

In a cap world, teams can no fill holes by signing endless UFA's, as the cap prevents them from doing so.

If a team doesn't have draft picks to stockpile good young (read cheap) talent, it will have to plug holes with more expensive veterns on the FA market. This doesn't allow you to dewvelop replacements for your upper talent, and the cycle continues.

High draft picks are the most sought after currency to teams in a cap world.

You can judge the value of a player (in terms of his talent and salary) by seeing if he could be traded simply for draft picks. If he could, he has positive value. If not, he has negative value.

Would anyone give up a draft pick and assume Kotalik's contract? No, so he has negative value. He could only be moved if you take on dead weight salary in return.

IMO, Staios had negative value to every team except Calgary.

In any event, draft picks take on increasing value in a cap world.

They are the gold in a cashless society.
There is still no merit to what either you or blueandgold are saying.

The only team that loaded up on UFAs pre-lockout was NYR and they still do it now. Detroit I guess does it to a lesser extent and still succeeds doing it.

The only thing that's changed post-cap era is that good young players hit the bank earlier. Veterans are not paid on their past success, but the fact that their production is expected to decline.

A draft pick is a draft pick, prospects are just as likely to become NHL players as they were before.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Which by the way is making Murray look like a genius. That kid is ripping up the SEL right now.
until he is ripping up the NHL it doesn't mean anything

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 03:54 PM
tfong

Quote:
until he is ripping up the NHL it doesn't mean anything
Well it does mean he has traded his pick for 1 free year of development with the same type of ceiling.

You can look at it as a David Rundblad vs Vladamir Tarasenko trade. One guy is almost a PPG dman playing against adults in the SEL. The other is a 0.5 PPG forward playing against adults in the KHL.

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Well it does mean he has traded his pick for 1 free year of development with the same type of ceiling.

You can look at it as a David Rundblad vs Vladamir Tarasenko trade. One guy is almost a PPG dman playing against adults in the SEL. The other is a 0.5 PPG forward playing against adults in the KHL.
so you are comparing an 18 year old playing against men to a 20 year old playing against men... makes sense...

at 18 Rundblad was less than .25 points per game

but it still has no bearing on Regehr's value... point being if a guy who has never stepped foot on NHL ice can garner a 1st so can Regehr

Old
11-10-2010, 06:34 PM
tfong

Quote:
so you are comparing an 18 year old playing against men to a 20 year old playing against men... makes sense...

at 18 Rundblad was less than .25 points per game

but it still has no bearing on Regehr's value... point being if a guy who has never stepped foot on NHL ice can garner a 1st so can Regehr
Oh I wasn't arguing that. I was just saying people pay alot more for potential now. So while I think Reggie's value to us is worth way more than a 1st, he doesn't have that "potential" factor that GMs like Burke pay bucket loads for. So I wouldn't be surprised if Reggie was valued at a 2nd + prospect, though I would not like a trade for anything less than a 1st + young roster player.

Old
11-10-2010, 11:04 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
thank you for showing how little you know about the game if you are looking at a defensive defensemans offensive production... you aren't even worth debating with...Mod-edit: deleted.
Keith Ballard, based on the games I saw him in, was just as good defensively as Regehr. He brings better offensive production on top of that. Also, from what I observed and what some of my friends who follow the Calgary Flames saw was that Regehr 's defensive play fell off somewhat last year. Doesn't exactly enhance his trade value. Although, for whatever reason, you seem to think that Ballard is at best "on par" with Regehr. That's why I don't see him being worth more than a late first round draft pick.

I hope this makes me worthy of your debating. I don't know if I can go to sleep otherwise.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 11:29 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Keith Ballard, based on the games I saw him in, was just as good defensively as Regehr. He brings better offensive production on top of that. Also, from what I observed and what some of my friends who follow the Calgary Flames saw was that Regehr 's defensive play fell off somewhat last year. Doesn't exactly enhance his trade value. Although, for whatever reason, you seem to think that Ballard is at best "on par" with Regehr. That's why I don't see him being worth more than a late first round draft pick.

I hope this makes me worthy of your debating. I don't know if I can go to sleep otherwise.
Regehr struggled to start last year... whether it was being paired with Phaneuf, him being cautious about the knee injury that kept him out of the playoffs the previous season or a combination I don't know... but I and anyone who actually watched the Flames every night knows Regehr's game picked up when he was paired with White... and this season has been an absolute force... Regehr's value is easily that of a 1st rounder... and it doesn't matter if its a late first or a midround first during the season because once teams are in the playoffs they don't know where they will be drafting... and if he gets dealt at teh draft it would likely be a later first like you said... but near the deadline it wouldnt be shocking if he was picked up by a 'tweener team looking to strengthen their D that loses in round one

Old
11-11-2010, 12:14 AM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 50
Quote:
Keith Ballard, based on the games I saw him in, was just as good defensively as Regehr.
I find it very hard you can make a conclusion like that unless your an avid Panthers fan? Don't really remember when Regehr was a healthy scratch either.....

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 12:39 AM
tfong

Ballard is not as good as Reggie defensively and you can see that if u watch the games but he does have more offense in him. I mean how can u be good defensively if you were on the Panthers when they kept losing

Last edited by tfong: 11-11-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old
11-11-2010, 10:44 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
I find it very hard you can make a conclusion like that unless your an avid Panthers fan? Don't really remember when Regehr was a healthy scratch either.....
BAM!

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:34 AM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
BAM!
For Dan Hamhuis no less!

Not that he is a bad player of course.

Old
11-11-2010, 11:49 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Don't really remember when Regehr was a healthy scratch either.....

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Flamesjustwin

vCash: 1452
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Ballard is not as good as Reggie defensively and you can see that if u watch the games but he does have more offense in him. I mean how can u be good defensively if you were on the Panthers when they kept losing
A wooden stump has more offense in him than Regehr.

Flamesjustwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:05 PM
flames123

Quote:

Ballard was dealt for essentially two 1st's.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
Ballard was dealt for essentially two 1st's.
no he wasn't... he was dealt for a 1s rounder, a grinder and an slightly above average prospect who became waiver fodder after camp...

Old
11-11-2010, 08:42 PM
flames123

Quote:
no he wasn't... he was dealt for a 1s rounder, a grinder and an slightly above average prospect who became waiver fodder after camp...
Grabner was a 1st rounder. A crappy pick yes, but still a 1st rounder. That was my point.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 08:54 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesjustwin View Post
A wooden stump has more offense in him than Regehr.
WTF? Reggie is here to not put up 15 goals on the PP. For the millionth time he is a shut down D man, and among the best in the NHL at his job. Definitely in the keeper pile.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:17 AM
TheDoctor10
Bigger on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
WTF? Reggie is here to not put up 15 goals on the PP. For the millionth time he is a shut down D man, and among the best in the NHL at his job. Definitely in the keeper pile.
Best in the league at what he does + Team potentially going nowhere but down + 32 years old = Trade for 1st round pick @ deadline.

TheDoctor10 is offline   Reply With Quote