HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hits from behind

Old
11-08-2010, 07:37 AM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

vCash: 500
Hits from behind

Is it me, or is there some real inconsistency with hits from behind being called and/or reviewed?

We see Crombeen get 5 for his hit on Stepan last night, yet Timmonen escapes any penalty or league action for crushing Callahan. Is it solely based on whether or not the player gets hurt? If so, that's an idiotic mentality that basically states "No harm, no foul"...that will lead to more injuries.

And how can refs miss things right in front of their faces, yet the linesman 90 feet away can call it? Is it a consistency issue there as well?

Now, I'm not saying the refs are to blame for any losses. They are horrible for every team. Guys like McCreary always seem to be a step slow. And how many times are we going to hear Micheletti say "looks like the puck hit off the linesman, Sam.."

/rant over.

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Miller Time NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfzr2 View Post
Is it me, or is there some real inconsistency with hits from behind being called and/or reviewed?

We see Crombeen get 5 for his hit on Stepan last night, yet Timmonen escapes any penalty or league action for crushing Callahan. Is it solely based on whether or not the player gets hurt? If so, that's an idiotic mentality that basically states "No harm, no foul"...that will lead to more injuries.

And how can refs miss things right in front of their faces, yet the linesman 90 feet away can call it? Is it a consistency issue there as well?

Now, I'm not saying the refs are to blame for any losses. They are horrible for every team. Guys like McCreary always seem to be a step slow. And how many times are we going to hear Micheletti say "looks like the puck hit off the linesman, Sam.."

/rant over.
The refs in the philly game were horrible and i didnt expect them to call anything on it although timmonen should have gotten at least a 5 min, he threw callahan head first into the boards. crombeen got 5 and deserved 5 but i agree the calling is really inconsistent. Officiating in general has been horrible this year and its not getting any better. i also dont think it hurt for stepan to stay on the ice and have the trainers come out to him.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 08:02 AM
mullichicken25

i think that, gernerally speaking, there are a LOT of hits from behind in every game

the calling seems pretty arbitrary, but i find myself cringing numerous times as guys go into the boards head first multiple times a game

some, like the one on stepan, are worse that others...but i've seen avery, prust, and staal all be guilty of these types of hits pretty frequently

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 09:20 AM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

I think we can all agree that there is a desperate need for consistency in the officiating.

From game to game, I have to think the players are unsure of what will be called vs what will not.

From boarding calls, to the high sticks, ( nice 4 minute double missed last night ), to the linesmen breaking up fights before they even start. I would hold out some hope the GM meetings would address this, but apparently they are too concerned with turning the NHL into figure skating...

"Now, now.... don't talk to the other team during warmups..that's so NAUGHTY!!!"

It's really not that difficult of a concept. Have all the refs on the same page. Ensure that they are calling things by the rules. I know they are human and will miss a few now and again, but it seems that each game is intrinsically shaped by the officiating crew. The opinions or individual preferences of the refs should not affect the outcome of a game. Period. From game to game, a high stick should be called ( if seen ), or boarding should be called.. ( hard to miss)

Use replays if needed.

None of this "Well..last night I drilled a guy in the numbers and crushed him into the glass..and I skated away scot free. But man...today I did the same thing and got 5 and the gate for a lesser hit?"

It makes for a very frustrating game, and I'm sure it's making some players gunshy, and others fearless..depending on how the calls have gone for them.

A good first step would be a better way to hold officials responsible for blatant missed calls. Maybe not in-game, but having the league review certain situations more than they do now. For example: the missed high stick on Dubinsky, the Timmonen hit, the Frolov call, the Carcillo/Fedotenko hit etc etc.

If they miss it in-game... that's one thing, but when they are staring right at it and don't call it and are ALLOWED to do so night after night is inexcusable. If I screwed up @ my job on a daily basis, I would find myself unemployed. Maybe it's time the refs had the same pressure on them.

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Stepanformayor*

does anyone have the hit on viedo. i did not see it?

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Unpredictable1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i think that, gernerally speaking, there are a LOT of hits from behind in every game

the calling seems pretty arbitrary, but i find myself cringing numerous times as guys go into the boards head first multiple times a game

some, like the one on stepan, are worse that others...but i've seen avery, prust, and staal all be guilty of these types of hits pretty frequently
While I agree there are plenty of hits from behind these days - I don't I can incriminate those you listed very much with the type of play Crombeen did.

What Crombeen did was that little extra shove with 2 players coming together with a good bit of speed towards the boards. Just enough to knock you off balance. I've been on the receiving end of those a few times over the years.

Stepan would have faired better had Crombeen just hit him instead.

Unpredictable1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 12:35 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
does anyone have the hit on viedo. i did not see it?
Here you go.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 12:41 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
While I agree there are plenty of hits from behind these days - I don't I can incriminate those you listed very much with the type of play Crombeen did.

What Crombeen did was that little extra shove with 2 players coming together with a good bit of speed towards the boards. Just enough to knock you off balance. I've been on the receiving end of those a few times over the years.

Stepan would have faired better had Crombeen just hit him instead.
i am in no way justifying the hit, believe me, it was dirty regardless of what i am about to say

but Stepan would have faired better if he didnt duck his head and shoulders and try to spin around 2 ft away from the boards

it was a dirty hit, and was properlly penalized, but Stepan himself elevated it to a level that could have caused serious injury

in the interest of self-preservation, thats not a smart move to make. If he wanted to turn his back to him and face the boards to hold him off the puck that'd be one thing, but he ducked his head and shoulders cause he was trying to spin all the way back around and skate towards the corner which put him in a very vulnerable place

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Unpredictable1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i am in no way justifying the hit, believe me, it was dirty regardless of what i am about to say

but Stepan would have faired better if he didnt duck his head and shoulders and try to spin around 2 ft away from the boards

it was a dirty hit, and was properlly penalized, but Stepan himself elevated it to a level that could have caused serious injury

in the interest of self-preservation, thats not a smart move to make. If he wanted to turn his back to him and face the boards to hold him off the puck that'd be one thing, but he ducked his head and shoulders cause he was trying to spin all the way back around and skate towards the corner which put him in a very vulnerable place

I agree on all parts.

Unpredictable1 is offline   Reply With Quote