HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gordon's days numbered?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-07-2010, 11:52 PM
  #1
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky
 
Backhand of Justice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,019
vCash: 500
Gordon's days numbered?

Saw on ESPN Rumor Central, it says that Gordon could be fired.

Anyone else know about this?

Backhand of Justice is offline  
Old
11-07-2010, 11:57 PM
  #2
hlundqvist30*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,520
vCash: 500
I don't know why. I don't think he's a very good coach to begin with, but at the same time the Islanders aren't a good team to begin with, and they're missing Streit and Okposo. What expectations is Gordon not meeting?

hlundqvist30* is offline  
Old
11-07-2010, 11:57 PM
  #3
Doug Height
Okposwag
 
Doug Height's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 6,425
vCash: 500
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ardy-1.2437624

Doug Height is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 01:29 AM
  #4
Fantom
Registered User
 
Fantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
Saw on ESPN Rumor Central, it says that Gordon could be fired.

Anyone else know about this?
I doubt it. they have nt know he does not have much to work with.
however if they have someone who is a step above and he keeps loseing then why not

Fantom is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 02:45 AM
  #5
2LeftSkates
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 368
vCash: 500
He needs to come up with a system that keeps the puck out of our net. Without spending any money to do so. Who in their right mind would want this job?
Our defensive coverage has to be somewhat coachable, right? Forwards always seem to be wide open right in the slot when we have three guys down low chasing the puck.

2LeftSkates is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 09:40 AM
  #6
IwayMike
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
No Fan of Gordon

I am no fan of Gordon, but I am not sure if now is a good time to fire him. The only reason I would fire him now is if there was a definite upgrade out there that would not be available later in the season. If not, give him until a few weeks after the all-star break. Okposo and Streit should be back, so we should be getting a good idea about the team when healthy. If we are still bottom feeders playing poorly, and there is a coaching upgrade available, we should look for a change.

IwayMike is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 09:46 AM
  #7
PJGooch
Registered User
 
PJGooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 522
vCash: 500
From Larry Brooks column yesterday:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...ifuS5toJ8VJJ/1

Quote:
There is talk circulating through the network of hockey personnel people that Scott Gordon 's job behind the Islanders' bench is in serious jeopardy.

Can't for the life of us understand why the coach hasn't been able to squeeze more out of his $1.29 payroll, and by the way, for how long exactly is Charles Wang going to use The Lighthouse as an excuse to hold his franchise hostage?

PJGooch is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 09:52 AM
  #8
redbull
movin'on up
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,066
vCash: 500
I can't name a player outside DiPietro who has underachieved.

I can't name a player who doesn't give a consistent effort out there. I think they all work really hard and all want to win (the occasional lazy back-check notwithstanding)

It's really hard to pin this on Gordon. I'm not the biggest Gordon fan but I really don't think a love-child hybrid clone of Bowman and Arbour would make any difference at all.

This is all Snow. It's up to Wang to determine if he felt he gave Snow any chance at all to succeed with a proper budget.

If Wang truly gave Snow budget, as he has alluded to in the past, then I'd fire Snow.

Snow set the expectation for the playoffs this year. He has gone on record with that as his target. He set the roster before the season. If anyone's at fault it's Snow.

He has clearly overrated the impacts of the off-season roster moves.

majormet pointed out in an earlier thread:

Lose: Park, Bergenheim, Tim Jackman, Meyer, Witt, Tambellini
Add: Parenteau, Konopka, Grabner, Eaton, Mottau, Wisniewski
Returns: Schremp, Weight, Sim, Gillies (2min/night), Hilbert (kinda)

I don't see improvements to this roster at all. I see side-ways to backwards.

Consider: over-matched teenagers in prominent roles with zero support - recipe for disaster.

Tough to put this on Gordon, system or no system.

redbull is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 11:52 AM
  #9
lacunacoil777
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
Here's what we do know. As long as the isles have the lowest payroll gordan won't have the players he needs to win. May as well give someone else a chance. We will just come in last ever year with gordan. Maybe another defensive type coach can pull off a miracle

lacunacoil777 is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 12:03 PM
  #10
Brunomics
Registered User
 
Brunomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Medford
Country: United States
Posts: 5,545
vCash: 500
I have a problem with his system. Sure it's all well in good when the forecheckers create turnovers in the zone but when they don't and the play gets settled into the defensive zone those forecheckers will have wasted extra energy which will lead to coverage breakdowns and chances.

Gordo really needs to work on changing up the formula to something that is more workable for this team because I believe which what he has going on now it's never going to work.

I truly don't believe he will be the coach long term for this team. I think once they mature and get better you'll see more of a veteran coach come in to teach these guys to win.

It's a shame how everything went down. I would've loved to see what Nolan did with guys like Tavares and Bailey once they got their acts together..

Brunomics is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 12:10 PM
  #11
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh
 
Mr Wentworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,450
vCash: 500
Okay.

Lets say that tomorrow Scott Flash Gordon: The Destroyer of Groins is gone.

Who comes in?

Keenan?

I don't picture being what the Isles need in a coach.
Plus, can you imagine him working with Wang?

Who else is out there that can coach?
Milbury!?

Yes, I know that every now and then you need to look for the next best thing in coaching and either go down to the AHL for a coach or try to get an assistant from another team.

So, we either go with Keenan or Milbury, promote Doug Weight, or try to find the next up and coming name in coaching.

Isn't that what we did when we found Lavioette and Gordon?

Mr Wentworth is online now  
Old
11-08-2010, 12:17 PM
  #12
Brunomics
Registered User
 
Brunomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Medford
Country: United States
Posts: 5,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Okay.

Lets say that tomorrow Scott Flash Gordon: The Destroyer of Groins is gone.

Who comes in?

Keenan?

I don't picture being what the Isles need in a coach.
Plus, can you imagine him working with Wang?

Who else is out there that can coach?
Milbury!?

Yes, I know that every now and then you need to look for the next best thing in coaching and either go down to the AHL for a coach or try to get an assistant from another team.

So, we either go with Keenan or Milbury, promote Doug Weight, or try to find the next up and coming name in coaching.

Isn't that what we did when we found Lavioette and Gordon?
I know this may sound crazy but when this team has matured and is on the verge I'd bring Nolan back. I know he's a pain sometimes but he gets the most out of his players and his teams are always competative.

Brunomics is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 12:23 PM
  #13
25yearfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 264
vCash: 500
Can't pin this all on Gordon - he is racing Herbie the Love Bug in a Nascar event....

25yearfan is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 03:00 PM
  #14
TheRedressor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United Nations
Posts: 3,722
vCash: 500
Bob Hartley.....

TheRedressor is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 03:13 PM
  #15
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
Bob Hartley.....
an improvement.

Ron Francis? An improvement who could move up to GM.

OlTimeHockey is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 03:25 PM
  #16
ferrisUML
Registered User
 
ferrisUML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I can't name a player outside DiPietro who has underachieved.

I can't name a player who doesn't give a consistent effort out there. I think they all work really hard and all want to win (the occasional lazy back-check notwithstanding)

It's really hard to pin this on Gordon. I'm not the biggest Gordon fan but I really don't think a love-child hybrid clone of Bowman and Arbour would make any difference at all.

This is all Snow. It's up to Wang to determine if he felt he gave Snow any chance at all to succeed with a proper budget.

If Wang truly gave Snow budget, as he has alluded to in the past, then I'd fire Snow.

Snow set the expectation for the playoffs this year. He has gone on record with that as his target. He set the roster before the season. If anyone's at fault it's Snow.

He has clearly overrated the impacts of the off-season roster moves.

majormet pointed out in an earlier thread:

Lose: Park, Bergenheim, Tim Jackman, Meyer, Witt, Tambellini
Add: Parenteau, Konopka, Grabner, Eaton, Mottau, Wisniewski
Returns: Schremp, Weight, Sim, Gillies (2min/night), Hilbert (kinda)

I don't see improvements to this roster at all. I see side-ways to backwards.

Consider: over-matched teenagers in prominent roles with zero support - recipe for disaster.

Tough to put this on Gordon, system or no system.
Seriously?

First, Wisnewski and Konopka are better than everyone on that list.

Second, the loss of Witt and Tambellini are addition by subtraction alone.

Finally, even if you wanted to do a player for player evaluation, here:

Wiznewski, Eaton > Meyer, Witt (Witt?...are you even serious?). Im not sold on Mottau yet. What about Jurcina? Our blueline is vastly better. Whats really ailing back there is the loss of Streit.

Konopka > Park and Tim Jackman. Park was awful last year and so was Jackman. I mean, really, what did Jackman provide? Nothing. What did Park provide?...the leagues wost +/-.

Grabner = Tambellini (so far, but Tamby's time here ran out)

While I do miss some things Bergenheim brought, he's really being replaced by Martin. Besides, I think Bergenheim wanted to leave and we had the org depth to replace him. Thats kindof a wash.

Im shocked that people have begun thinking this losing streak has ANYTHING to do with the lose of Jackman and/or Park and/or Witt. Do any of you remember last year at all? They were TERRIBLE!!!

ferrisUML is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 03:29 PM
  #17
Law
Registered User
 
Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 7,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Law
Forget FA's for a second, people seem to forget that coaches didn't want to run away and join this circus either (ex. Quenneville). Unless Chuckles mandated that Gordo had 2 1/2 years to magically turn chicken sh-t into chicken salad, I can't lay the blame on him.

As for Snow, similar situation. In my book, he's doing a decent job within some crappy parameters <cough> budget <cough>. Hard to judge him overall as we haven't really been able to see what he's capable of outside of a few 'good eye' value signings (Streit, Molson, Rolo) and some decent draft maneuverings (getting a 1st for Campoli, etc).

Unfortunately, the one person I would like to see fired is the one we can't fire. My hope is that he grows bored with his little experiment and sells the club. Of course, that would open up the whole "are they re-locating" thing again, but...

Law is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 03:48 PM
  #18
majormet
Registered User
 
majormet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dix Hills, NY
Posts: 3,852
vCash: 500
The only way a new coach could do better than Gordon right now is by being the "new coach". Think in terms of Lawrence Frank coming to the Nets and winning is first 14 games. I like Gordon as a coach much as I liked Laviolette, and we should hold onto Gordon as long as possible.

His system worked last year because of the types of players that were in it. The best successes in the system are not in uniform this year, the main success obviously being Okposo, but Park and Bergenheim were Gordon system guys, wherease Parenteau, Grabner, Schremp and Gillies are not.

I concur with redbull in that we did go laterally at best and took steps back, the offseason was a failure:

1) We did not get a top 4 dman. We got Wisniewski and Eaton who are bottom pairing guys

2) We did not get a top 6 forward with experience. That is why guys like Parenteau and Grabner are in the top 6 now.

3) We got rid of our 2 fastest defensive minded players and did not replace them. I am not saying we should have kept Bergey and Park but we could have at least tried to find quick bottom 6 players that could kill penalties.

To hang this more on Snow... when Jack Hillen had his jaw broken by the Ovechkin shot, the Isles were on the best roll in years, coming off that nice streak beating New Jersey, Detroit and Buffalo soundly. Hillen before the injury was a top 4 dman on this team, paired with Andy Sutton, (truthfully he is a 6/7 but before the injury he was in our 2nd pairing and holding his own). This was the time to make a trade of some kind, because the lower pairing guys like Gervais and Meyer were now going to get too much ice time.

I am a fan since the 70's and talk to my friends I grew up with... they all still like the Isles but don't pay attention much since they don't win. I think you bring the fans back by winning and with small successes. The 1993 team made the playoffs and did the unthinkable to hit the semifinals. I think the 2009/10 team might have been able to pull off an upset, we were matched similarly to Montreal last year.

Snow makes a trade for a HIllen replacement, we resume winning and then don't trade Sutton, and we get those 6-8 points that put us in the playoffs.

We win a series or two in the playoffs and then players might want to play here.

I don't buy the NVMC talk. If I was offering you 4 million a year to live with Paula Poundstone on the Upper East Side or 4 million a year to live with Mila Kunis in a studio apartment on Straight Path in Wyandanch, what option are you going to take..... I don't see how the arena makes a difference, the player is on the bench collecting his breath, not sitting in the seats.

My friends who don't pay close attention now would start to show up if the team won. You have to make those deadline trades to win. If you are 80% full against Philly and the Rags, you get to 100%. If you are 50% full against Atlanta and Florida you get to 80% full, the math is there.

I feeling is that Wang is not c***kblocking any moves to get role players at the deadline or if a player goes down. Good teams fill their holes up as soon as they open up.

Someone said that drafting is not too much of a science if you are always drafting at the top of the draft and I agree. I do believe that my cat could use the internet and look at the mock drafts and pick the name on the page that will fit.

I am starting to turn on Snow, not Gordon. We have horrific injuries this year and that is the main cause, but knowing that only one forward is missing is not encouraging.

majormet is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 04:13 PM
  #19
ferrisUML
Registered User
 
ferrisUML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
His system worked last year because of the types of players that were in it. The best successes in the system are not in uniform this year, the main success obviously being Okposo, but Park and Bergenheim were Gordon system guys, wherease Parenteau, Grabner, Schremp and Gillies are not.


Konopka > Park, Martin > Bergenheim. Systems or no, case closed. I miss many of the qualities that Bergenheim brought (especially his PK ability), but our PK is doing fine. Martin brings more than Bergenheim could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
1) We did not get a top 4 dman. We got Wisniewski and Eaton who are bottom pairing guys.


Wisniewski and Eaton are bottom pairing guys? Are you guys kidding me? Since when? They weren't bottom pair on either Pittsburgh or Anaheim, why are they bottom six here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
2) We did not get a top 6 forward with experience. That is why guys like Parenteau and Grabner are in the top 6 now.


Completely agree, but doesn't mean our offseason was a series of lateral moves or backwards. It just wasn't two steps forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
3) We got rid of our 2 fastest defensive minded players and did not replace them. I am not saying we should have kept Bergey and Park but we could have at least tried to find quick bottom 6 players that could kill penalties.


Our PK is not the problem right now. and it sure as **** is not the replacement of Park with Konopka and Bergy with Martin. I feel like im taking crazy pills here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
To hang this more on Snow... when Jack Hillen had his jaw broken by the Ovechkin shot, the Isles were on the best roll in years, coming off that nice streak beating New Jersey, Detroit and Buffalo soundly. Hillen before the injury was a top 4 dman on this team, paired with Andy Sutton, (truthfully he is a 6/7 but before the injury he was in our 2nd pairing and holding his own). This was the time to make a trade of some kind, because the lower pairing guys like Gervais and Meyer were now going to get too much ice time.


So, I just want to make sure I got this. Garth was supposed to have traded a 23 yo, middle pairing defenseman, coming off a great season because his value was high? He shouldve know that the slapshot to the face would've caused his game to recess. Is Garth Snow supposed to be Miss Cleo? Beside, I still have faith in Hillen. I think he'll snap out of it.

Look, if your really looking to point a finger, better point it at the top six players on 5-on-5. They're the ones not getting it done. I think moving Bailey back to center will go a long ways to correcting that. We'll see...

[b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
I am a fan since the 70's and talk to my friends I grew up with... they all still like the Isles but don't pay attention much since they don't win. I think you bring the fans back by winning and with small successes. The 1993 team made the playoffs and did the unthinkable to hit the semifinals. I think the 2009/10 team might have been able to pull off an upset, we were matched similarly to Montreal last year.

Snow makes a trade for a HIllen replacement, we resume winning and then don't trade Sutton, and we get those 6-8 points that put us in the playoffs.

We win a series or two in the playoffs and then players might want to play here.

I don't buy the NVMC talk. If I was offering you 4 million a year to live with Paula Poundstone on the Upper East Side or 4 million a year to live with Mila Kunis in a studio apartment on Straight Path in Wyandanch, what option are you going to take..... I don't see how the arena makes a difference, the player is on the bench collecting his breath, not sitting in the seats.

My friends who don't pay close attention now would start to show up if the team won. You have to make those deadline trades to win. If you are 80% full against Philly and the Rags, you get to 100%. If you are 50% full against Atlanta and Florida you get to 80% full, the math is there.

I feeling is that Wang is not c***kblocking any moves to get role players at the deadline or if a player goes down. Good teams fill their holes up as soon as they open up.

Someone said that drafting is not too much of a science if you are always drafting at the top of the draft and I agree. I do believe that my cat could use the internet and look at the mock drafts and pick the name on the page that will fit.

I am starting to turn on Snow, not Gordon. We have horrific injuries this year and that is the main cause, but knowing that only one forward is missing is not encouraging.
I feel your pain. Yes, im sure there were moves to be made and there still are. But even in the rosiest of scenarios, they won't turn us into a contender over night. The right pieces here, the right pieces there, add in some luck and over time we'll get there. Im not completely losing faith on his season yet and I think Snow will do something, but I don't think he hits the panic button (thank god).

ferrisUML is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 04:22 PM
  #20
majormet
Registered User
 
majormet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dix Hills, NY
Posts: 3,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post

Konopka > Park, Martin > Bergenheim. Systems or no, case closed. I miss many of the qualities that Bergenheim brought (especially his PK ability), but our PK is doing fine. Martin brings more than Bergenheim could.



Wisniewski and Eaton are bottom pairing guys? Are you guys kidding me? Since when? They weren't bottom pair on either Pittsburgh or Anaheim, why are they bottom six here?



Completely agree, but doesn't mean our offseason was a series of lateral moves or backwards. It just wasn't two steps forward.



Our PK is not the problem right now. and it sure as **** is not the replacement of Park with Konopka and Bergy with Martin. I feel like im taking crazy pills here!!



So, I just want to make sure I got this. Garth was supposed to have traded a 23 yo, middle pairing defenseman, coming off a great season because his value was high? He shouldve know that the slapshot to the face would've caused his game to recess. Is Garth Snow supposed to be Miss Cleo? Beside, I still have faith in Hillen. I think he'll snap out of it.

Look, if your really looking to point a finger, better point it at the top six players on 5-on-5. They're the ones not getting it done. I think moving Bailey back to center will go a long ways to correcting that. We'll see...

[b]

I feel your pain. Yes, im sure there were moves to be made and there still are. But even in the rosiest of scenarios, they won't turn us into a contender over night. The right pieces here, the right pieces there, add in some luck and over time we'll get there. Im not completely losing faith on his season yet and I think Snow will do something, but I don't think he hits the panic button (thank god).

I think you are missing some of my points Bergenheim and Park (or random players of the same ilk) are valuable because of their 5 on 5 even strength play against the other team's best lines. That is what we are missing, we have defensemen blasting open season from the point every game and just wait until Dan Boyle sees us this week. Guys like Parenteau, Schremp and Grabner are awful even strength players, who don't know how to defend in any way or form. Konopka is maybe better than Thompson (not sure if top rated Tampa feels the same way), but any Konopka comparison should be to either Thompson or Jackman as 4th line fighter types. Konopka has about as much chance of scoring as the late Walter Hudson at a fashion show.

My point was not to trade Hillen but quickly make a trade to replace him knowing that we had a shot at the playoffs still and that by not replacing him would put Gervais in the top 4.

I don't think Eaton is a top 4 dman, sidneythekidney is a die hard Pens fan and can speak of that, he said as much in another thread

Wisniewski was replaced by Andy Sutton in Anaheim so Anaheim felt that Sutton was the upgrade over Wizzer. I like Wizzer and Eaton but they are not top 4 dmen. If fully healthy, and with either Hamonic or De Haan up here, they will be our bottom pairing next year with Martinek, Streit, MacDonald and one of the phenoms in the top 4.

Snow does not make the subtle trade that puts teams over. I am not saying go sign Kovalchuk, trade for Ryder or Horcoff etc... I am stating... make the trade to fill in the hole when the time is there. We can't win putting Gervais out on the ice.... but worse than Gervais is the fact that tomorrow night we will be suiting up PAP, Schremp, Gillies and Grabner and the only line that won't have a defensive liability will be Martin/Nielsen/Hunter.

majormet is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 04:39 PM
  #21
Doug Height
Okposwag
 
Doug Height's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 6,425
vCash: 500
Sutton was not an upgrade over Wiz, they traded Wiz after his arbitration hearing, because they did not want to pay him.

Everyone seems to forget how bad Sutton was his first 2 years here, he was almost as brittle as Martinek and he wasn't really great when he actually was able to play.

Doug Height is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 05:33 PM
  #22
majormet
Registered User
 
majormet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dix Hills, NY
Posts: 3,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
Sutton was not an upgrade over Wiz, they traded Wiz after his arbitration hearing, because they did not want to pay him.

Everyone seems to forget how bad Sutton was his first 2 years here, he was almost as brittle as Martinek and he wasn't really great when he actually was able to play.
I tend to agree that Sutton was overrated but we replace an injured Hillen within a week and not trade Sutton we make the playoffs.

As for Wizzer vs Sutton, lateral move. Sutton hits people, our defense doesn't do that at all. Wizzer can score but Wizzer gets beaten often.

majormet is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 05:57 PM
  #23
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,754
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post
Wisniewski and Eaton are bottom pairing guys? Are you guys kidding me? Since when? They weren't bottom pair on either Pittsburgh or Anaheim, why are they bottom six here?.
Can't speak on Wiz, as I didn't follow Anaheim too closely during his time there, but Eaton certainly was a bottom pairing guy on the Pens.

During the Cup run, Gonchar and Orpik were the top pairing, Gill and Scuderi the second pairing (and on the ice most when holding a lead), with Eaton and Letang on the third pairing.

Even last season, Eaton averaged the 6th most ice time per game on defense, behind Gonchar, Orpik, Letang, Goligoski, and Leopold (after he was acquired at the deadline).

If they'd re-signed him this year, he certainly would be a bottom pairing guy on the Pens, with Martin, Michalek, Letang, Orpik and Goligoski all ahead of him.

Eaton's the ideal third pairing guy. At his best when he's just tasked with being *solid*. Not asked to be a shutdown guy, not asked to be a puck rusher. Just asked to go out there 17 or 18 minutes a night and not make any mistakes. His warts tend to become more apparent when he's expected to be more than that.

Sidney the Kidney is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 06:00 PM
  #24
JetsMetsIsles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post

Konopka > Park, Martin > Bergenheim. Systems or no, case closed. I miss many of the qualities that Bergenheim brought (especially his PK ability), but our PK is doing fine. Martin brings more than Bergenheim could.



Wisniewski and Eaton are bottom pairing guys? Are you guys kidding me? Since when? They weren't bottom pair on either Pittsburgh or Anaheim, why are they bottom six here?



Completely agree, but doesn't mean our offseason was a series of lateral moves or backwards. It just wasn't two steps forward.



Our PK is not the problem right now. and it sure as **** is not the replacement of Park with Konopka and Bergy with Martin. I feel like im taking crazy pills here!!



So, I just want to make sure I got this. Garth was supposed to have traded a 23 yo, middle pairing defenseman, coming off a great season because his value was high? He shouldve know that the slapshot to the face would've caused his game to recess. Is Garth Snow supposed to be Miss Cleo? Beside, I still have faith in Hillen. I think he'll snap out of it.

Look, if your really looking to point a finger, better point it at the top six players on 5-on-5. They're the ones not getting it done. I think moving Bailey back to center will go a long ways to correcting that. We'll see...

[b]

I feel your pain. Yes, im sure there were moves to be made and there still are. But even in the rosiest of scenarios, they won't turn us into a contender over night. The right pieces here, the right pieces there, add in some luck and over time we'll get there. Im not completely losing faith on his season yet and I think Snow will do something, but I don't think he hits the panic button (thank god).
Its nice to read a rational opinion. Thank you.

JetsMetsIsles is offline  
Old
11-08-2010, 06:49 PM
  #25
ferrisUML
Registered User
 
ferrisUML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Can't speak on Wiz, as I didn't follow Anaheim too closely during his time there, but Eaton certainly was a bottom pairing guy on the Pens.

During the Cup run, Gonchar and Orpik were the top pairing, Gill and Scuderi the second pairing (and on the ice most when holding a lead), with Eaton and Letang on the third pairing.

Even last season, Eaton averaged the 6th most ice time per game on defense, behind Gonchar, Orpik, Letang, Goligoski, and Leopold (after he was acquired at the deadline).

If they'd re-signed him this year, he certainly would be a bottom pairing guy on the Pens, with Martin, Michalek, Letang, Orpik and Goligoski all ahead of him.

Eaton's the ideal third pairing guy. At his best when he's just tasked with being *solid*. Not asked to be a shutdown guy, not asked to be a puck rusher. Just asked to go out there 17 or 18 minutes a night and not make any mistakes. His warts tend to become more apparent when he's expected to be more than that.
Sid, you would probably know better than I since you follow Pitts, but I think your using one year out of a four year deal to make your argument. From 06-07, 07-08 and even some of 08-09, he was a top three defenseman on that team.

No matter how you slice it, take a mediocre defensman from a stanley cup winning team A, add him to what was a one of the league's worst defenses on team B, and team B improves. Thats the theory. Not saying he's a top pairing, but definitly a 3-4 guy on our team and DEFINTELY not a reason why we're 0-7 in the last seven. Thats a reason you touched on in another thread, our 5-on-5 play...

ferrisUML is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.