HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Euro 2004 in Portugal

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-14-2004, 02:26 PM
  #1
[nixloose] Christoph
Registered User
 
[nixloose] Christoph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Wolfhagen (Germany)
Country: Germany
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to [nixloose] Christoph Send a message via MSN to [nixloose] Christoph
The Euro 2004 in Portugal

Al lot of people on this board are crazy about the Euro!

maybe this could be a sticky thread about all kind of things concerning the Euro.

I'm crazy about the Germany - Dutch game tomorrow!!!

the winner will follow the tchecs to the quater-finals!

[nixloose] Christoph is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 02:39 PM
  #2
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 18,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by [nixloose] Christoph
Al lot of people on this board are crazy about the Euro!

maybe this could be a sticky thread about all kind of things concerning the Euro.

I'm crazy about the Germany - Dutch game tomorrow!!!

the winner will follow the tchecs to the quater-finals!
Good idea, i'm tired of switching back and forth between this board and the Lounge...

here's hoping the Dutch win tomorrow, are Seedorf and Davids on the team?

417 is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 03:01 PM
  #3
Brisson11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: On the rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,264
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
Quote:
Originally Posted by [nixloose] Christoph
Al lot of people on this board are crazy about the Euro!

maybe this could be a sticky thread about all kind of things concerning the Euro.

I'm crazy about the Germany - Dutch game tomorrow!!!

the winner will follow the tchecs to the quater-finals!
Hey do you have a list of Team Germany's roster??

Brisson11 is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 03:15 PM
  #4
gohabsgo2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: sign Patrick Poulin
Posts: 2,622
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Friggin England ruined my Sunday! Oh well, Beckham, Scholes and company will show the Swiss how it's done on Thursday. And after that, look out cause the Cup's going to where it belongs!

gohabsgo2010 is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 03:17 PM
  #5
Histrion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Fortified City
Posts: 3,338
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Histrion
Quote:
Originally Posted by [nixloose] Christoph
Al lot of people on this board are crazy about the Euro!

maybe this could be a sticky thread about all kind of things concerning the Euro.

I'm crazy about the Germany - Dutch game tomorrow!!!

the winner will follow the tchecs to the quater-finals!
My summer job begins tomorrow and in NA the game isn't as late as it is in Europe.. I'll miss Germany/Dutch game. :mad:

I hope they'll replay the game in the evening, if not I'll be mad.

Histrion is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 03:20 PM
  #6
[nixloose] Christoph
Registered User
 
[nixloose] Christoph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Wolfhagen (Germany)
Country: Germany
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to [nixloose] Christoph Send a message via MSN to [nixloose] Christoph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisson11
Hey do you have a list of Team Germany's roster??
Torwart (Goalie)
Oliver Kahn 01 ... 15.06.1969
Jens Lehmann 12... 10.11.1969
Timo Hildebrand 23 ... 05.04.1979

Abwehr (Defense)
Frank Baumann 06 ... 29.10.1975
Arne Friedrich 03 ... 29.05.1979
Andreas Hinkel 02 ... 26.03.1982
Philipp Lahm 21 ... 11.11.1983
Jens Nowotny 05 ... 11.01.1974
Christian Ziege 17 ... 01.02.1972
Christian Wörns 04 ... 10.05.1972

Mittelfeld (Midfield)
Michael Ballack 13 ... 26.09.1976
Fabian Ernst 18 ... 30.05.1979
Torsten Frings 22 ... 22.11.1976
Dietmar Hamann 08 ... 27.08.1973
Jens Jeremies 16 ... 05.03.1974
Sebastian Kehl 15 ... 13.02.1980
Bernd Schneider 19 ... 17.11.1973
Bastian Schweinsteiger 07 ... 01.08.1984

Sturm (Offense)
Fredi Bobic 09 ... 30.10.1971
Thomas Brdaric 14 ... 23.01.1975
Miroslav Klose 11 ... 09.06.1978
Kevin Kuranyi 10 ... 02.03.1982
Lukas Podolski 20 ... 04.06.1985

[nixloose] Christoph is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 03:25 PM
  #7
[nixloose] Christoph
Registered User
 
[nixloose] Christoph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Wolfhagen (Germany)
Country: Germany
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to [nixloose] Christoph Send a message via MSN to [nixloose] Christoph
last week I told my friends that Sweden may have a chance for the semi-final...everybody loughed but now Sweden leads 4-0
let's see what'll happen

[nixloose] Christoph is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 03:27 PM
  #8
[nixloose] Christoph
Registered User
 
[nixloose] Christoph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Wolfhagen (Germany)
Country: Germany
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to [nixloose] Christoph Send a message via MSN to [nixloose] Christoph
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome`
My summer job begins tomorrow and in NA the game isn't as late as it is in Europe.. I'll miss Germany/Dutch game. :mad:

I hope they'll replay the game in the evening, if not I'll be mad.

damn
hope you'll get a replay of the game. germany will kick some ***** tomorrow.
Michael Ballack with 2 goals and Oliver Kahn with some great saves.
To my mind Oliver Kahn is one of the best goalies ever

[nixloose] Christoph is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 03:28 PM
  #9
Ajacied
Remember #9
 
Ajacied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 23,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
Good idea, i'm tired of switching back and forth between this board and the Lounge...

here's hoping the Dutch win tomorrow, are Seedorf and Davids on the team?
Both Seedorf and Davids are on the squad yes, but Seedorf, despite his day-to-day injury, is unlikely to start with so many guys ahead of him on the depthchart. Davids is a lock to start as usual.. We also have some luxery problems on who to start at striker, be it Ruud van Nistelrooy, arguably the top striker in the world along with Henry, be it Patrick Kluivert, the guy with the most goals over the past 5 years in the Primiera division (well, actually from 1997/2002) who's supposed to be the team's best player, be it Roy Makaay, who was Munchen's undisputed MVP or is it Pierre van Hooijdonk, who singlehandedly lead Fenerbache to the finals and lead the league in goals? It's interesting for sure.. Too bad Bergkamp didn't come along, he'd make us so much more dangerous.. And not only that, but we also left Jimmy Floyd Hasslbaink at home, who'd probably make a lot of team's starting line-up..

Also, for the outside fans, pay attention to the young guns, Wesley Sneijder, John Heitinga, Arjen Robben and Rafael van der Vaart. They will make their debute thuesday but all have an amazing upside..

Ajacied is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 03:34 PM
  #10
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 18,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = Dud
Both Seedorf and Davids are on the squad yes, but Seedorf, despite his day-to-day injury, is unlikely to start with so many guys ahead of him on the depthchart. Davids is a lock to start as usual.. We also have some luxery problems on who to start at striker, be it Ruud van Nistelrooy, arguably the top striker in the world along with Henry, be it Patrick Kluivert, the guy with the most goals over the past 5 years in the Primiera division (well, actually from 1997/2002) who's supposed to be the team's best player, be it Roy Makaay, who was Munchen's undisputed MVP or is it Pierre van Hooijdonk, who singlehandedly lead Fenerbache to the finals and lead the league in goals? It's interesting for sure.. Too bad Bergkamp didn't come along, he'd make us so much more dangerous.. And not only that, but we also left Jimmy Floyd Hasslbaink at home, who'd probably make a lot of team's starting line-up..

Also, for the outside fans, pay attention to the young guns, Wesley Sneijder, John Heitinga, Arjen Robben and Rafael van der Vaart. They will make their debute thuesday but all have an amazing upside..
Holland, is a very, very, very dangerous team, the only thing with RVN, is he is very one-dimensional, but no doubt one of the best strikers in the world (RVN, Henry, Ronaldo, Adriano) what kind of formation will they play?

417 is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 03:35 PM
  #11
BrianFinley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Cologne, Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
5:0 Sverige

BrianFinley is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 03:37 PM
  #12
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 18,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFinley
5:0 Sverige
Jeez!

417 is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 03:40 PM
  #13
ChemiseBleuHonnete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
euh.... it looks like soccer is very popular. Can someone explain me how the game works and what are the rules? If someone can give me a link, I would read a little bit about it. I'm open to watch new things but at the first sight, soccer looks a little bit too sissy and boring. I understand that a lot of people like this sport, maybe it's only because I have no clue of how the game is played. The only thing I like is that it's always providing quality images on TV.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is online now  
Old
06-14-2004, 03:47 PM
  #14
Ajacied
Remember #9
 
Ajacied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 23,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
Holland, is a very, very, very dangerous team, the only thing with RVN, is he is very one-dimensional, but no doubt one of the best strikers in the world (RVN, Henry, Ronaldo, Adriano) what kind of formation will they play?
Ruud is a very deep striker, that's why he's so dangerous. He doesn't has to play defense, hell, he isn't even allowed to. I am not all that much a fan of his mind you, I think Kluivert is 3 times the striker he is, but Ruud is a supurb header, always knows where to be and he uses his body so extremely well, he just shrugs his opponents off of him.

The Dutch will likely play a 4 - 3 - 3 system. Anchored by recent FIFA Defenseman of the year Jaap Stam..

It's unclear who the wingers are.. Arjen Robben isn't 100% yet or else he'd start without having much competiton. There are rumours Rafael van der Vaart will play wing as well..

Most likely line-up..

GK - Van der Sar

LB - Boudewijn Zenden
CN - Jaap Stam
CN - Philip Cocu (Captain)
RB - John Heitinga

LM - Arjen Robben
CM - Wesley Sneijder
CM - Edgar Davids
RM - Rafael van der Vaart

ST - Ruud van Nistelrooy

Ajacied is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 03:54 PM
  #15
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!
 
gunnerdom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ax²+bx+c
euh.... it looks like soccer is very popular. Can someone explain me how the game works and what are the rules? If someone can give me a link, I would read a little bit about it. I'm open to watch new things but at the first sight, soccer looks a little bit too sissy and boring. I understand that a lot of people like this sport, maybe it's only because I have no clue of how the game is played. The only thing I like is that it's always providing quality images on TV.
Soccer sissy? hell no. You can go on http://www.fifa.com/en/history/index.html and you can get the history and the rules and all of that. Soccer is my favorite sport after hockey. I just wish the canadian team would be better. Oh well, still have Portugal, Ireland and Italy.

gunnerdom is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 04:06 PM
  #16
prabak11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: montreal
Posts: 780
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to prabak11 Send a message via Yahoo to prabak11
is it normal for soccer to have scores such as 4-0 sweden right now?

prabak11 is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 04:15 PM
  #17
Ajacied
Remember #9
 
Ajacied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 23,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabby
is it normal for soccer to have scores such as 4-0 sweden right now?
5-0 actually.. But they use to occur quite a lot back in the day, but like hockey, every team has gotten stronger, the gap is rapidly closing and there are no walkovers anymore these days. These scores generally occur during the round robin games, but the level of competiveness is usually higher at an EK than a WK where you have teams like the USA, Korea and Australia participating. But, the score was misleading though, the Bulgarians weren't as bad, just that the Swede's capitalized on each and every chance they got..

Ajacied is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 04:20 PM
  #18
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 18,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ax²+bx+c
euh.... it looks like soccer is very popular. Can someone explain me how the game works and what are the rules? If someone can give me a link, I would read a little bit about it. I'm open to watch new things but at the first sight, soccer looks a little bit too sissy and boring. I understand that a lot of people like this sport, maybe it's only because I have no clue of how the game is played. The only thing I like is that it's always providing quality images on TV.
I only started following soccer actively the last few years, I used to only watch the World Cup as Brazil was my favorite team growing up, and still is along with Italy, but the last few years i've started following league matches alot more and soccer is a beautiful game, you can say what you want about hockey, basketball, football (american) and baseball, but soccer is the hardest sport to play, these guys are world class athletes, and unless they are 100% fit, they are useless to there respective teams, unlike hockey or basketball, you can tough out certain injuries, in soccer if your not 100% fit, your play is affected greatly...take the time to do some research, and i'm sure you'll learn to appreciate it even more, there's a reason it's the most popular sport on earth...

To tell you guys and gals the truth, if I had access to watch more soccer games on TV, i'd probably be a soccer fan before a hockey fan, especially after watching guys like Zidane, Ronaldinho, Raul, Ronaldo, Christiano Ronaldo, Figo...I have so much respect for what they can do with their feet, head and not use what everyone takes for granted in sports...their hands (except for the goalie)

417 is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 07:40 PM
  #19
Go Habs Go
Registered User
 
Go Habs Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
I only started following soccer actively the last few years, I used to only watch the World Cup as Brazil was my favorite team growing up, and still is along with Italy, but the last few years i've started following league matches alot more and soccer is a beautiful game, you can say what you want about hockey, basketball, football (american) and baseball, but soccer is the hardest sport to play, these guys are world class athletes, and unless they are 100% fit, they are useless to there respective teams, unlike hockey or basketball, you can tough out certain injuries, in soccer if your not 100% fit, your play is affected greatly...take the time to do some research, and i'm sure you'll learn to appreciate it even more, there's a reason it's the most popular sport on earth...

To tell you guys and gals the truth, if I had access to watch more soccer games on TV, i'd probably be a soccer fan before a hockey fan, especially after watching guys like Zidane, Ronaldinho, Raul, Ronaldo, Christiano Ronaldo, Figo...I have so much respect for what they can do with their feet, head and not use what everyone takes for granted in sports...their hands (except for the goalie)
\


GO AZZURI!!!!! Del Piero rules!

Go Habs Go is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 08:04 PM
  #20
Brisson11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: On the rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,264
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
Quote:
Originally Posted by [nixloose] Christoph
damn
hope you'll get a replay of the game. germany will kick some ***** tomorrow.
Michael Ballack with 2 goals and Oliver Kahn with some great saves.
To my mind Oliver Kahn is one of the best goalies ever
Hey thanks for the roster, its good to see some familiar faces from last World Cup which seems like yesterday... I was at my cottage watching the finals germany vs. brazil and damn ronaldo scores twice(now I hate him lol but he's good )

P.S. Ballack is the player who had all those beautiful headers in 2002 if I remember correctly right? Germany will do alot of damage this year

Brisson11 is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 08:21 PM
  #21
Vic Rattlehead*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St-Hubert, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisson11
Hey thanks for the roster, its good to see some familiar faces from last World Cup which seems like yesterday... I was at my cottage watching the finals germany vs. brazil and damn ronaldo scores twice(now I hate him lol but he's good )

P.S. Ballack is the player who had all those beautiful headers in 2002 if I remember correctly right? Germany will do alot of damage this year
That was Klose. He had a hat-trick in one game against Saudi Arabia that year. Germany will have trouble, considering they are in a group with Holland and the Czechs. Look for Holland to play Germany tough tomorrow.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 08:24 PM
  #22
Vic Rattlehead*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St-Hubert, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ax²+bx+c
euh.... it looks like soccer is very popular. Can someone explain me how the game works and what are the rules? If someone can give me a link, I would read a little bit about it. I'm open to watch new things but at the first sight, soccer looks a little bit too sissy and boring. I understand that a lot of people like this sport, maybe it's only because I have no clue of how the game is played. The only thing I like is that it's always providing quality images on TV.

Soccer requires a lot of toughnes and strength. Soccer is my favourite sport after Hockey.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 08:26 PM
  #23
Vic Rattlehead*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St-Hubert, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisson11
I was at my cottage watching the finals germany vs. brazil and damn ronaldo scores twice(now I hate him lol but he's good )
Ya, Ronaldo is great. He recently scored a hat-trick against Argentina in a World Cup qualifying match. He leads the group stage with 6 goals so far, and expect him to lead the Brazilians back to the World Cup in 2006. Might be a rematch between the Germans and Brazilians.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 08:27 PM
  #24
Vic Rattlehead*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St-Hubert, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = Dud
5-0 actually.. But they use to occur quite a lot back in the day, but like hockey, every team has gotten stronger, the gap is rapidly closing and there are no walkovers anymore these days. These scores generally occur during the round robin games, but the level of competiveness is usually higher at an EK than a WK where you have teams like the USA, Korea and Australia participating. But, the score was misleading though, the Bulgarians weren't as bad, just that the Swede's capitalized on each and every chance they got..
Ibrahimovic will be a future star for the Swedes. He just needs to calm his temper a bit

Vic Rattlehead* is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 08:50 PM
  #25
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,288
vCash: 500
Being part Italian, I discovered the WC in the early part of the 80's with Rossi and Zoff. Then, I fell for the French because of Zidane. And a team with a player name Lizarazu (sounds like a dish in a fancy restaurant) always is a fav of mine.

In 2000, I fell for the French for good, because I used to play defence while living in Laval back in the days, and loved Blanc and Barthez. Specially Barthez. This guy has the personnality of a Kirk Gibson. Just sparkling, while being Raw.

To me, Zidane is the pen-ultimate soccer player, because of his great composure. He moves like Jean Beliveau used to on ice. And he delivers (contrary to Beckham) when it counts. I just hate his nickname. Zizou is sooooooo mou-moune. Plus, he's so cool. He seems in total control of his emotions.

Plus, I love the way the French squad move the ball around. They are the closest european team to the play of the Brazilians. All finesse.

I must say I have a place for the English squad because of its toughness. I like it.

Can't stand the fakers, though. Spain had plenty of them the other day. I played soccer until I was senior and I cannot believe the dives that are uncalled by the refs in these international matches. At least, Rooney doesn't dive.

Oh! and Portugal, yet once again, is choking. Nothing new there.

deandebean is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.