Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

NHL-Ready Finnish Coaches

Old
04-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
NHL-Ready Finnish Coaches

Read with interest some of the discussion below about players who might be heading to the NHL/AHL next season and was wondering if there were any coaches that might be tempted to make the move. The most obvious attraction would be Minnesota, which already has several Finnish players - both in the lineup and in their "pipeline".

Dallas and possibly the Nashville or Anaheim organizations are other clubs which might be good fits - if not at the NHL head coaching level than either as an assistant or in the player personnel or minor pro levels.

Have any Finnish coaches shown an interest in making the move?

Tony Piscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 05:03 AM
Finnpin

I remember Petri Matikainen saying that he is interested in coaching in NA in the future.

In general the road would be through AHL and very few might have guts to do that...cause they get good paychecks in europe. I don't see the top level going to NHL first as assistants coachs and then looking for the main job.

It still amazes me that Alpo Suhonen was a headcoach in NHL level

Summanen would have been a kickass NHL coach...but we all know he is too crazy for the job

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 05:06 AM
Tormentor

I'm sure that there are Finnish coaches interested of NHL jobs, but we have to remember that an average NHL GM doesn't know too many European coaches in person, some might even have trouble naming one. In most cases getting a coach job in NHL requires great contacts, previous experience of NA hockey (either as a player or as a coach) and ability to speak fluent English. Just these requirements rule out majority of Finnish coaches.

Some of the more meritorious Finnish coaches with some contacts might land a job in AHL, and could after that gradually work their way up the food chain. KHL with its money is a tempting alternative for Finnish coaches that have proven their worth, so going to AHL to ride the bus might not be the first thing on their mind.

I guess there are some good goalie coaches in Finland which might have something to offer to a NHL organization, if they'd spend some time in NA first.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 06:59 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Closest one is propably Esa Tikkanen for Rangers assistant coach

Tortorella and Tikkanen standing behind the bench. Tortorella giving orders to players and Tikkanen yelling to opponent and blowing kisses.

Honestly I don't see anyone coming to NA in year or two.

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 08:16 AM
ES

Matikainen is definately one who has staged interest about it. But it is almost certain that he will coach HIFK next year, don't know the contract length but should be at least two years. If he wins title there it would improve his chances. With his most recent team, Espoo Blues, he guided the team twice to finals, losing both and additionally once in the semis, in his total of four-year-tenure.

He played junior hockey in Oshawa Generals. Of his old team-mates Jeff Daniels is at least one who has coached in NHL, and now in AHL. So that's one contact that could help him.

ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:49 PM
QnebO

Kari Jalonen (dont mix it with jukka jalonen) made Kärpät a dynasty, winning multiple canada cups and now he won with HIFK.

If I could give one man a shot at NA it would be him probably.. also i would like to see him coaching the national team.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Kari Jalonen (dont mix it with jukka jalonen) made Kärpät a dynasty, winning multiple canada cups and now he won with HIFK.

If I could give one man a shot at NA it would be him probably.. also i would like to see him coaching the national team.
Never.

The man should have won the championchip here in Helsinki 3 times. It was not his accomplishment. The team won it, not him.

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:30 PM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latexi84 View Post
Never.

The man should have won the championchip here in Helsinki 3 times. It was not his accomplishment. The team won it, not him.
Where is jalonen there are the winners.. Teams allways win and the players play the game but its good result to win so many times as a coach as jalonen has done.. And nothing else even matters but winning in this business.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Finnpin

Kari Jalonen to the National Team and NA?

Never.

KJ was pretty luck to win it in the end with good IFK roster because overall the performance would have been poor.

And it took KJ 3 years to get his system inside the players heads? Let's see how long the KHL boss will wait

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:53 AM
Raimo Sillanpää

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Where is jalonen there are the winners.. Teams allways win and the players play the game but its good result to win so many times as a coach as jalonen has done.. And nothing else even matters but winning in this business.
KJ only wins when his team is stacked - Kärpät & HIFK.

Compare that record to Matikainen - two silver medals in four years with a team stripped of its past star players and replaced with Blues-A juniors from seasons before..
That's good coaching.

Or Kai Suikkanen - his TPS team without him was the 2nd worst. With him it was the best.

Raimo Sillanpää is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo Sillanpää View Post
Kai Suikkanen - his TPS team without him was the 2nd worst. With him it was the best.
http://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko/20...89468_jk.shtml

In the article (which was made after he got suprisingly fired from his KHL team and hadn't obviously yet signed with Pelicans) Suikkanen expressed his interest to coach in NA, although he said that it would be a long road, and even getting to AHL would be hard without connections that he claims to not have.

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:56 PM
nudpedler

NHL ready:

Kari Heikkilä
Erkka Westerlund
Jukka Jalonen(?)

NHL ready in some point:

Kai Suikkanen
Maybe Petri Matikainen

Because of language none of them will not be NHL coaches. I think example Westerlund knows so much about hockey and is also quite experienced that he would be easily NHL coach. But I guess he's psychological way to couch drops significantly when he can't speak on hi's mother language.

nudpedler is offline   Reply With Quote