HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Powerplay

Old
11-08-2010, 06:19 PM
GenerationalTalent

vCash: 500
Powerplay

I have tip that I have been trying lately and noticing success on the powerplay. Particulary 5 on 3s. I know people will say "Well, on 5 on 3s your teams should score". But I am seeing around the rink lots of teams struggling when up two men. With a lot more time and space young players simply don't know what to with it. After playing a team that employed the umbrella powerplay.(for those that don't know what the umbrella is: It is used on the powerplay and 3 players are used in the upper part of the offensive zone for shots, with two men low. It is used to give those 3 players shooting chances. Strong shooters are required. If you still don't know what I am talking about watch the Ottawa Senators powerplay)

Anyways on with what the coaches with struggling 5 on 3s want to read. The team used the umbrella which, to me always seemed like a powerplay that could only really be used by teams with strong shooter and puck handers(highly skilled teams). And this team which, was weaker then my team used the umbrella for there powerplays. The diamond pk shut it down pretty easily as they bobbled the puck and were unable to get a shot off under the agressive pk. However, as soon as they got a chance 5 on 3 it was in the back of net. The rotation that most teams use 5 on 3 penalty kill does very little to stop a point shot from the umbrella. With 3 fairly good shooters in the slot and only 1 opposing player facing them it will create scoring chances. Although there is a way to defend the umbrella 5 on 3 most minor hockey coaches never think that far in front and I would suggest that coachs with struggling powerplays make the umbrella there go to play 5 on 3.

However, I still hate the umbrella 5 on 4 as I feel it is easily defended and young players stress when they get pressured with the puck when there the last man back.

I like to let players create plays off the side boards by giving them a few options over there.

If coachs try the umbrella 5 on 3 I would love to know how it works. I would also like this thread to turn into a general powerplay discussion, if there are people wanting to discuss.

GenerationalTalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 07:34 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It seems at lower levels PP is ineffective. Most offense seems to be scored on the rush or having a numbers advantage out front, and on the PP everyone is standing still. You need to get the players moving to open up lanes, and not everyone is that skilled or hockey smart.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
It seems at lower levels PP is ineffective. Most offense seems to be scored on the rush or having a numbers advantage out front, and on the PP everyone is standing still. You need to get the players moving to open up lanes, and not everyone is that skilled or hockey smart.
That one of the things I never understood, you have to move no matter what gotta keep moving around if you don't you just get too predictable

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote