Notices

"State of Hockey" -Documentry (DVD)

Old
11-09-2010, 02:57 PM
se7en
infamous...

vCash: 500
"State of Hockey" -Documentry (DVD)

So I had ordered/ recieved "State of Hockey" a documentry from netflix (the cover makes it look like it's called Minnesota Wild, but it's listed as "State of Hockey")... It was kind of about the loss of the North Stars, the inception of the Wild up until the 2003 playoff run (The documentry was made in 2004) and then just about Hockey & the state of Minnesota, basically everything from how there's 10,000+ rinks all over the state and how little kids are on skates as soon as they can walk then hockey all the way up thru the High School state tourney onto the U of M & their 2003 Div 1 Championship...

It was actaully really good! It really was fun & interesting to see everything. I guess the Wild have way more records then I ever thought we did too! But it was cool to see all the behind the scenes stuff about developing a new franchise and it was great to re-live alot of the moments. Like our 1st ever game, our 1st ever goal, the first time we played the (North)Stars & how we beat them 6 to 0! (I was at that game!) but it was really cool and a great watch! It actually made me kind of sad that I don't live there anymore.. It also made me sad that our fans don't have that same passion we had in the first 5 years...

They showed the reactions to the loss of the North Stars & the Met Center being imploded & all the sadness surrounding that... Then they showed & talked about the planning for Xcel & the building of it, and then the team name & jersey unveilings, then the preperation for our first ever draft. Then it went on thru our first couple years up to 2003. At one point they were talking about our 2003 play-off run & all the games & they panned across the crowd at Game 6 vs. the Avs & I saw myself in the crowd. It made my night! haha But there was tons of interviews with the players, not just Wild players, but players from around the league that grew up in Minny... All in all, just a fun thing to watch & re-live the moments...

If you guys are ever in the mood for a solid hockey Documentry check it out!

Lastly, one quote that Bettman had said that I had never heard before made me mad & happy at the same time:

"We are so proud to announce the return the NHL to the great state of Minnesota. We should have NEVER let it leave in the first place!"

but again, worth the watch... Plus it had to OT's of games 6 & 7 versus the Avs in 2003 (In the special features) which were great to re-watch!

Here's the cover:

Has anyone else seen it?

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yep I have it. It's a good watch, although it's been a long time since I saw it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Jbcraig1883

I have it as well. I watch it every July/August when I'm craving some Wild hockey...

When they are interviewing Willie Mitchell during the 02 state hockey tourney, I was sitting one frame away. It's funny because it seems so long ago but seeing that and everyone I went to school with makes me miss those state hockey tournies being a student..

Last edited by Jbcraig1883: 11-09-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

So that's how State of Hockey got his user name.. I get it now.

They were throwing those DVDs out at the State Fair a couple years ago when Boogaard was there and I almost caught one. Worth the $$?

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Worth a Netflix rental. Dunno how much they cost. Wouldn't spend more than $10, It's half history, half nostalgia for 2003.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:20 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
So that's how State of Hockey got his user name.. I get it now.

They were throwing those DVDs out at the State Fair a couple years ago when Boogaard was there and I almost caught one. Worth the $$?
It is worth it if you have Netflix.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:36 PM
se7en
infamous...

When I was pulling up the cover art I saw it listed at about $19.99 at few places...

I can't really say it's worth it to buy but definitely something fun to throw on your netflix cue maybe once a year...

It's really fun to watch if you haven't seen it before, and really the best part is seeing all the big moments again. I'm sure like all of you, 2003 is one of those years I look back on fondly because no one expected it, so I always get a kick out of re-watching the stuff about that..

But most of all, it's just a fun walk down memory lane... Probably not worth buying but worth renting or borrowing from someone...

Oh & Jocksta, It totally made me miss the the State Hockey Tourney's too! I went to Jefferson and all 4 years I was in HS, we were in it.. (We were a dynasty right before I became a freshman, aka the Mark Parrish Years ('92, '93, '94) I was a freshman in '96) but we never won it when I was in High School, got close tho! At least we were a contender every year & they were always so much fun!

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:51 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
When I was pulling up the cover art I saw it listed at about $19.99 at few places...

I can't really say it's worth it to buy but definitely something fun to throw on your netflix cue maybe once a year...

It's really fun to watch if you haven't seen it before, and really the best part is seeing all the big moments again. I'm sure like all of you, 2003 is one of those years I look back on fondly because no one expected it, so I always get a kick out of re-watching the stuff about that..

But most of all, it's just a fun walk down memory lane... Probably not worth buying but worth renting or borrowing from someone...

Oh & Jocksta, It totally made me miss the the State Hockey Tourney's too! I went to Jefferson and all 4 years I was in HS, we were in it.. (We were a dynasty right before I became a freshman, aka the Mark Parrish Years ('92, '93, '94) I was a freshman in '96) but we never won it when I was in High School, got close tho! At least we were a contender every year & they were always so much fun!
Unless you burn it..

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Karl

I got it for a gift, I think it was five bucks and it is a decent DVD either a nice rental or a cheap five dollar bin DVD if you want to see how it all began. Oh how hopeful and naive we were when that young rapscallion Doug Risebrough was at the controls of the team. Nothing really captivating as we didn't have years of history to fall back on but still none the less.

The best part by far is the two OT periods against the Avs. I could watch those on replay forever. Wish they would have had some games from the Canucks series.

I would love a complete history of the Minnesota North Stars DVD to come out someday.

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 07:19 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

It's not the same but the Lou Nanne book is a great read.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 11:06 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
I hear ya! I went to Roseville from 98-02 and they took 3rd my senior year and 2nd the following year. Those were the years of Marty Sertich (Hobey Baker) and Mark Van Guilder (Milwaukee AHL, Hobey Baker finalist). Ahhh, memories.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:45 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
I hear ya! I went to Roseville from 98-02 and they took 3rd my senior year and 2nd the following year. Those were the years of Marty Sertich (Hobey Baker) and Mark Van Guilder (Milwaukee AHL, Hobey Baker finalist). Ahhh, memories.
My first year here in Maple Grove back in 2000-2001 was our "great year" so far. We dominated up until we had to play the eventual State Champs in our section, Elk River. That team was very impressive

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 11:17 PM
Kari Takko

Wasn't that the DVD they sent out in the survival packs during the NHL lockout?

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote