HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian "Gretzky" Boyle?

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2011, 12:56 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
And Gaboriks been Gaborik, the pack line hasn't been the same for a while (all the members individually and together), Girardi hasn't been as good recently,Zukes hasn't looked as good, Wolski needs to start scoring again, and MDZ-Gilroy is the stupidest pairing I've ever seen. Trust me, I agree with you that Boyle needs to step it up definitely, but to say he's reverted back to last years form like some have is blatant overexaggeration because we've been losing. Really, everything bad is happening all at once and its killing us.

Old
02-12-2011, 02:32 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Why make a fuss over a guy who scored a bunch of fluky goals early in the season? At no point was Boyle ever displaying any signs that he was a serious goalscorer or any kind of sniper. Come on. He got a bunch of garbage goals and surprised a few goalies with some wide open wristers. Now that teams have seen he can kind of shoot the puck, open space won't just be handed to him like it was before.

I think you have to be thrilled that he has what he has this year.

Old
02-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
They said Boyle didn't participate in the bowling event due to a sore back...so I would keep that in mind before we knock on him.

The guy has been good, and you cannot deny that. He's struggling lately, just like pretty much every other forward on the Rangers roster.

Old
02-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

Like many guys on this team, I think Boyle is just sore and tired. I know they're still developing, but at present time the Rangers don't have enough pure talent to outplay and dominate teams with any consistency, so to win they have to bust their ***** every night. By this point of the season, you get exhausted from busting ass, and you start to falter. It's great that the Rangers work hard, and I want them to continue, but over the next couple of years, I'd like to see them become just a little flashier, and just straight up beat teams more often, instead of having to play every game like a game 7 just to get 2 points. Too many close games. How many times have we really mauled somebody by a few goals this year? Like four? That's not enough big wins to preserve energy.

Old
02-13-2011, 05:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Anyone wanna say Boyle is reverting back to how he was last year?

Man was possessed by a hockey demon or something tonight. Beastly.

Old
02-13-2011, 06:13 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Anyone wanna say Boyle is reverting back to how he was last year?

Man was possessed by a hockey demon or something tonight. Beastly.
I agree. He was finally hitting again. Good to see

Old
02-13-2011, 11:34 PM
chosen

I don't think I've ever seen more adoration for a big guy who isn't all that physical, who won't even total 20 assists in his first two seasons here.

Low expectations being outdone, I suppose.

I don't think he's bad, but...

Old
02-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I don't think I've ever seen more adoration for a big guy who isn't all that physical
Only 8 forwards in the league have more hits than Boyle. He's 5th in the league for blocked shots by a forward. He's tied for the team lead in goals.

What exactly are you complaining about?

Old
02-14-2011, 09:23 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Boyle has been consistently one of our best forwards this season. With a slumping Gaborik, who also missed a lot at the beginning of the season, and a 4th line that was rarely shifted because of Boogaard or AHL call-ups on it, Boyle has outright put the team on his back at times. Through his goals alone he has tripled his points total from last year. In my opinion, if he can keep up his play, he'll be one of the best 3rd or 4th line centers in the game.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:17 AM
McRanger

Boyle was very physical up until recently. Not sure if he is "regressing" or simply a little banged up/worn out. But for the most part he has played with an edge. Downright nasty at times.

Old
02-14-2011, 11:21 AM
xxxZENxxx

Boyle is an interesting player, especially given his RFA status. When a player is a dud his whole career and than in one random season, comes out of nowhere to score a decent amount of goals... the LAST thing you want to do is give him a lot of cash. Just like hundreds of guys before him, he will most likely go back to being a 10 goal-scorer (or less) the rest of his career. If you basically start handing him anything over 1-1.25M, then you are making a VERY big mistake. If I were Sather, I would tell him to play a 1-year contract and do it again... then promise to pay him if he does.

Old
02-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
They said Boyle didn't participate in the bowling event due to a sore back...so I would keep that in mind before we knock on him.
No. I find his lack of commitment towards bowling concerning.

Old
02-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
Boyle is an interesting player, especially given his RFA status. When a player is a dud his whole career and than in one random season, comes out of nowhere to score a decent amount of goals... the LAST thing you want to do is give him a lot of cash. Just like hundreds of guys before him, he will most likely go back to being a 10 goal-scorer (or less) the rest of his career. If you basically start handing him anything over 1-1.25M, then you are making a VERY big mistake. If I were Sather, I would tell him to play a 1-year contract and do it again... then promise to pay him if he does.
This expertise belongs in the Rangers front office. I hear Sather likes calzones...

Old
02-14-2011, 06:26 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
Only 8 forwards in the league have more hits than Boyle. He's 5th in the league for blocked shots by a forward. He's tied for the team lead in goals.

What exactly are you complaining about?
I take all Rangers stats with a grain of salt because it has been reported in many places that Rangers statisticians are a bit "enthusiastic".

Yes, he's going to score 20-25 goals, but end up with around 35 points, which is nothing that fans usually get excited about. And he has gotten a lot of quality minutes this year, so it's not like he's doing this without ice time.

Boyle has been a pleasant surprise, but he is being treated like a great player by some here. The fact that he is leading the team in goals is more of an indictment of the rest of the team, considering the total of goals we are talking about.

While he has been more physical than before, he heasn't struck me as being an intimidating force.

Guess I'm just confused why he has become such a hero to some fans. He's an okay 3rd liner having a career year. He'll most likely disappear into oblivion next year. Just my opinion.

Old
02-14-2011, 06:55 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I'm not sold on Boyle yet, either, but I hesitate to say he'll disappear next year. He just turned 26, so he's still relatively young. The player we're seeing today is more along the lines of what LA thought they were drafting--a huge guy that can throw his weight around and pick up goals in front of the net.

The improvements in his game seem to be centered around his willingness to go to the net and to assert himself physically. I don't see those as traits that he's going to lose in the course of an off-season. I'm optimistic he remains a useful player moving forward.

That said, I wouldn't hesitate for one second to include him in a deal.

It's just pain.
Old
02-14-2011, 08:22 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'm not sold on Boyle yet, either, but I hesitate to say he'll disappear next year. He just turned 26, so he's still relatively young. The player we're seeing today is more along the lines of what LA thought they were drafting--a huge guy that can throw his weight around and pick up goals in front of the net.

The improvements in his game seem to be centered around his willingness to go to the net and to assert himself physically. I don't see those as traits that he's going to lose in the course of an off-season. I'm optimistic he remains a useful player moving forward.

That said, I wouldn't hesitate for one second to include him in a deal.
I agree, 100%. I don't expect his style of play to change next season. I'm not sure he'll score as many goals next year, but that's not an insult to him, just an opinion based on the way he scores most of his goals. Move him to the wing, where he can utilize his nice wrist shot more, especially coming off the boards with his physical advantage over most defenders, and if you can use him as part of a package to upgrade something, do so.

Old
02-14-2011, 08:26 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I don't think anyone should be sold on Boyle, but to say he's been anything but a positive this season is nuts.

If he can repeat it next season that'd be great and he should be our 3rd line center either for the forseeable future or until somebody wants to grossly overpay for him.

Old
02-14-2011, 08:38 PM
SomE

He's at the age where most players anywhere near his size start to produce the way most expected them too when drafted.

Old
02-17-2011, 06:30 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Holy crap! LOOK AT BOYLE!!!!!!!!!!

I really can't help it, Boyle's so awesome, he makes the sound when I play Bill and Ted style air guitar!

Old
02-25-2011, 07:13 PM
stubbadub

That breakaway was spectacular for Gretzky. His reach is so long! I was jumping out of my seat with my room mate when that play went down.

Old
02-25-2011, 08:39 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

20 goals with 19 left to play. Will he get 25?

Old
02-26-2011, 11:11 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Well, as far as his performance last night, see my above post.

Old
02-26-2011, 11:37 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
He's at the age where most players anywhere near his size start to produce the way most expected them too when drafted.
Could you cite some examples of this?

Old
02-27-2011, 11:51 AM
NYR510

Is he eligible for arbitration?

Old
02-27-2011, 02:21 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

That Barb lady rules.