HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PK Subban's play

Old
11-10-2010, 10:12 AM
buddahsmoka1

vCash: 500
This is how it works in the NHL. Rookies break into the lineup and play their hearts out, try to make a difference in order to secure a spot on the team. Then when their spot is established, they settle into the groove that they feel comfortable with and become more complete players.

You can go back and look at countless examples of this, they are literally everywhere throughout the NHL.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 03:26 PM
immingz

Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
Guess you haven't heard Leaf fans call Versteeg "Verbeauty".
Both equally bad names, Versteeg got name in Chicago didn't he?

immingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 03:28 PM
PricePkPatch

Suggestion for a nickname: Blackstar

P.K. "Blackstar" Subban. Sounds better than "Chocolate Rocket"

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 03:34 PM
neofury*

People need to keep in mind he's playing with Gill so he needs to be the responsible one. Also it gives him less ice time.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 03:36 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
People need to keep in mind he's playing with Gill so he needs to be the responsible one. Also it gives him less ice time.
Maybe JM is just doing this until Markov gets his wings? Creating more balance?

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 05:14 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Maybe JM is just doing this until Markov gets his wings? Creating more balance?
The defensive pairings are fine the way they are.

The reason I say this is because both Markov and Subban are both thinking offense when they are on the ice, so one of them is going to have to cover for the other. Having them on 2 seperate pairings allows us to have an excellent puck mover on the ice for atleast 40-45 minutes per game. Gorges has played countless minutes with Markov before and not been out of place playing those types of minutes, he knows his role is to be the defensively reliable one on the pairing. I've personally been lobbying for this pairing for the better part of the last year.

I believe in an ideal world Martin would have played Subban with Hamrlik like during the playoffs, but the reason for not doing it is simply because Spacek just doesn't seem as good with anyone other than Hamrlik. That pairing works (for the most part). The Gill-Subban pairing for the most part has been successful, PK's positioning, speed and hockey sense has made up for a couple bad pinches by Gill already and Gill has been a calming presense for Subban in the defensive zone at times. So it works.

The biggest problem with the D-core as far as I am concerned is the lack of consistency we've got from Hamrlik, Spacek and Gill. All 3 had good-to-great games against Vancouver so here is to hoping that they are starting to come around. I'm not expecting them to play great every single game because it's clear that all 3 of them are on a declining slope with their careers.

Last edited by JGRB: 11-10-2010 at 06:13 PM.
JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ellerection View Post
The defensive pairings are fine the way they are.

The reason I say this is because both Markov and Subban are both thinking offense when they are on the ice, so one of them is going to have to cover for the other. Having them on 2 seperate allows us to have an excellent puck mover on the ice for atleast 40-45 minutes per game. Gorges has played countless minutes with Markov before and not been out of place playing those types of minutes, he knows his role is to be the defensively reliable one on the pairing. I've perysonally been lobbying for this pairing for the better part of the last year.

I believe in an ideal world Martin would have played Subban with Hamrlik like during the playoffs, but the reason for not doing it is simply because Spacek just doesn't seem as good with anyone other than Hamrlik. That pairing works (for the most part). The Gill-Subban pairing for the most part has been successful, PK's positioning, speed and hockey sense has made up for a couple bad pinches by Gill already and Gill has been a calming presense for Subban in the defensive zone at times. So it works.

The biggest problem with the D-core as far as I am concerned is the lack of consistency we've got from Hamrlik, Spacek and Gill. All 3 had good-to-great games against Vancouver so here is to hoping that they are starting to come around. I'm not expecting them to play great every single game because it's clear that all 3 of them are on a declining slope with their careers.
I agree with everything, except for Hamrlik, only made a few mistakes so far. He's been pretty solid.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 06:06 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I agree with everything, except for Hamrlik, only made a few mistakes so far. He's been pretty solid.
You know your right, he was sketchy the first 2-3 games back from injury but other than that he's been relatively solid other then the odd brain cramp (like that game he thought he could be Subban )

Old
11-10-2010, 06:24 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Pierre McGuire just completly shafted PK Subban on his "Top 5 rookies" segment

1. Skinner (I am cool with this)
2. Carlson (I can even agree with this)
3. Eberle (Not sure if serious?)
4. Ekman-Larsson (He's been good)
5. Tyler Ennis (No problem with him being there).

Subban deserves to be 3rd on this list IMO.