HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Passing off the glass

Old
11-03-2010, 04:23 PM
trtaylor

vCash: 500
Passing off the glass

Head Coach's comment in an earlier thread prompts me to ask, does anyone have any tips for making good passes high off the glass? Is there anything more to it than just laying the blade of the stick back to get the puck up high?

Is there a need to do any more than just get the puck behind the D-man? Or do you want the puck off the glass and to end up deep?

trtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 04:44 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Breakout passes up the glass are very tough, even in the NHL level. What you're trying to do is chip it up out of your zone. Long breakout passes should be off the boards, or straight up. The key to chipping it off the glass is picking a location on the glass to hit and having experience, knowing the angles. Even with experience, it's never a sure bet!

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Exactly, chipping out off the glass is an essential technique but almost always a last resort. Practicing passes off the boards with a partner is pretty easy and fun.

Simple geometry says the puck will come off the boards at the same angle it approaches, just like in pool. Play some pool and study how the ball comes off the rail, that's how it will work with the puck.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:01 PM
dannythekid

I just go out during stick time and shoot it off the boards/glass. Get a feel for where you shoot it and how it comes off the boards. Both in chips past a defender and clearing shots/passes.

dannythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 12:24 PM
OkimLom

I can bank the puck off the glass pretty good...Its just nobody knows where to be when it comes down.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Johnny Law

As a dman there are those times were it just has to get out and the glass is your good friend.

There are also those times were it just has to get out and it hits a stanchion and your fishing the puck out of your net.

Its easy to be decent at but next to impossible to master.

Johnny Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I had two interesting chips out of the glass this weekend:

- Bottled in our end for a while, I whip the puck over to get it high off the glass, but didn't realize the bench side glass was WAY shorter than the other side, it sailed over and bounced off the concrete and zipped through my entire bench. Lots of chirps from that one.

- Had another situation I had to get the puck out, bounce off the glass and the stanchion, back into play but luckily almost right back on my stick blade.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 08:37 PM
noobman

It's more about chipping it off the glass with enough force to land in some open ice around the neutral zone.

Beyond that, it's up to one of the forwards to get the puck to make it a pass instead of a clearing attempt. As a winger, I don't like to get too far ahead of the play to pick up one of those chips, because a lot of better D-men (especially those with full face masks) will use anything they've got to knock the puck down (block it with helmet, jump and grab it, etc)

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 03:04 PM
OprtnShtdwn

I use it in goal alot. Whenever I see a guy skating in, i enjoy using the unpredictability of using the glass to dump that puck back out. Very useful, if you can play the puck while playing goalie.

When I skate out, the only time i really use the glass if i try a hard dump. Makes it tougher for the goalie to go back behind and stop the puck, and maybe you'll get the bad bounce off the glass which could turn into a prime scoring chance.

OprtnShtdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 06:38 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
- Bottled in our end for a while, I whip the puck over to get it high off the glass, but didn't realize the bench side glass was WAY shorter than the other side, it sailed over and bounced off the concrete and zipped through my entire bench. Lots of chirps from that one.
Saw a similar one at a game from the other team. One of theirs got a minor penalty and went to the box. 10 seconds later on the PK, someone on his team tried to fire it off the glass from behind their net, it somehow clipped the top of the glass, changed direction, and ended up nailing the guy that just sat in the sin bin square in the arm. Everyone including the guy in the box had a good laugh.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 08:39 PM
HowToHockey

Using the glass is risky because you could end up putting the puck right over the boards. Your best bet is a high flip shot, when they land flat they sit down nicely and do not result in an icing. I don't do them to often because I like to skate the puck out, or make a hard pass (I play forward), but when I do them I use the toe to pull the puck back a bit, then scoop the puck up and send it sailing.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote