HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Giroux to a 3yr 11.5mil extension. Carter re-signs as well 11yrs 58mil.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-10-2010, 11:44 AM
  #1
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 33,942
vCash: 500
Flyers sign Giroux to a 3yr 11.5mil extension. Carter re-signs as well 11yrs 58mil.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=340429

Carter being in play is my thought based on to the article


Quote:
The 22-year old Giroux is in the final year of his entry level contract that will see him earn $765,000 this season. Under the terms of his new deal, the Hearst, Ontario native will earn $2.75 million in the first year of the extension, $3.5 million in the second and $5 million in the third for an average annual value of $3.75 million.
Nice signing for Philly. Now they need to lock up Leino who is making about 800k and is a UFA after the season.



My question is where does this leave Carter going forward. His salary this year is 5.5mil and his cap hit is 5mil. He is arb eligible and is likely looking at 6mil or more per season going forward.


Is he in play next summer as a trade possibility? He is having a productive year but is no longer one fo their top 3 centers. With their 3 centers locked in now (Briere, Richards and Giroux). Does Philly look to move him for a less expensive option on the wing?

They are already at 52+mil in cap hits for next season with only 8 forwards locked in (Giroux makes 8). Their defense and goaltending is squared away (they have 7 dmen and both goalies signed for next year). They could try and squeeze Carter in, its the Flyers we're talking about after all. But will they try and keep him at 6mil or more per season?


Last edited by joshjull: 11-13-2010 at 03:38 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 11:46 AM
  #2
ohheyimmark
Registered User
 
ohheyimmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 3,079
vCash: 500
An article I read on mobile THN stated that Philly was looking to sign him next and it was expected he'd be locked up. I don't really know how they could or what drives the rumor, but I'd lean towards Carter being a Flyer.

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 11:46 AM
  #3
Mergus merganser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,301
vCash: 500
Stafford for Carter.... get it done Darcy



(sarcasm)

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 11:51 AM
  #4
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 33,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar2866 View Post
An article I read on mobile THN stated that Philly was looking to sign him next and it was expected he'd be locked up. I don't really know how they could or what drives the rumor, but I'd lean towards Carter being a Flyer.
Unfortunately you may be right.

They'll probably go with a very long term deal (8+ years) to keep his cap hit down.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 11:53 AM
  #5
dystemper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 978
vCash: 500
if it isn't by trade, carter would not be worth getting. if buffalo is considering a rebuild, carter @ 5 mill and going into RFA = 4 first round draft picks for compensation, if you tendered a serious offer sheet to him. right now, it looks like buffalo needs more than 1 top 6 forward to fix its problems. losing 4 first rounders would be a horrible idea.

dystemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 11:56 AM
  #6
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 33,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dystemper View Post
if it isn't by trade, carter would not be worth getting. if buffalo is considering a rebuild, carter @ 5 mill and going into RFA = 4 first round draft picks for compensation, if you tendered a serious offer sheet to him. right now, it looks like buffalo needs more than 1 top 6 forward to fix its problems. losing 4 first rounders would be a horrible idea.
I was thinking a trade next summer (at the draft perhaps) not an offersheet. I agree that an offersheet would be a terrible idea.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 12:00 PM
  #7
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,500
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
I bet Philly wants a few more defensemen.

Weber + Gragnani + 1st for Carter.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 12:04 PM
  #8
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 33,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
I bet Philly wants a few more defensemen.

Weber + Gragnani + 1st for Carter.
I'm not saying you're wrong. But unless I missed some sarcasm, where would they put them?

Next year they have Pronger, Timmonen, Meszaros, Coburn, Carle, Walker and Bartulis under contract.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 12:08 PM
  #9
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,484
vCash: 500
Most reports I've read have stated that signing Carter is now their top priority. If you take a look at the Flyers board, they seem to think that he's going to get something in the neighborhood of Mike Richards' deal (in terms of cap hit), and that Carter would take that to stay with a winning team in an organization he came up with.

As of this second, they have approximately $52.3 committed for next season, including bonuses. If Carter's cap hit is around $5.7, that brings them up to $58m, with virtually every important player already signed, except Leino. Assuming the cap really does climb by $3-4 mil because of a potential new TV deal, as has been reported by multiple outlets, they could pay Leino around $3 mil per. And, ultimately, if things got too tight, they could just hide Matt Walker and his $1.7 cap hit in the minors.

In other words, I'm 99.9% sure that Carter is getting re-signed. Though if he wanted to maximize his leverage, he should go to July 1 and see what's out there. He'd certainly be the most sought after center available.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 12:09 PM
  #10
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 33,942
vCash: 500
Would anyone have the stones to put Kassian in a package for Carter?

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 12:11 PM
  #11
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 33,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Most reports I've read have stated that signing Carter is now their top priority. If you take a look at the Flyers board, they seem to think that he's going to get something in the neighborhood of Mike Richards' deal (in terms of cap hit), and that Carter would take that to stay with a winning team in an organization he came up with.

As of this second, they have approximately $52.3 committed for next season, including bonuses. If Carter's cap hit is around $5.7, that brings them up to $58m, with virtually every important player already signed, except Leino. Assuming the cap really does climb by $3-4 mil because of a potential new TV deal, as has been reported by multiple outlets, they could pay Leino around $3 mil per. And, ultimately, if things got too tight, they could just hide Matt Walker and his $1.7 cap hit in the minors.

In other words, I'm 99.9% sure that Carter is getting re-signed. Though if he wanted to maximize his leverage, he should go to July 1 and see what's out there. He'd certainly be the most sought after center available.

Don't ruin my dream with harsh reality

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 12:15 PM
  #12
TehDoak
General Zad
 
TehDoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 18,303
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
It doesn't matter, IF they trade him, they are moving him West unless as eastern team overpays.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 12:21 PM
  #13
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles
 
brian_griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Z4QQQ batman symbol
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 6,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I was thinking a trade next summer (at the draft perhaps) not an offersheet. I agree that an offersheet would be a terrible idea.
I see a couple good but extremely unlikely scenarios:

1. Trade pick plus prospect for Carter now (I hesitate on 2011 #1, Philly may be willing to "wait".) Sign Carter to replace Connolly in offseason.

2. Trade for Carter, let another team make the RFA offersheet, then willingly take the qty. = 4 #1's.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 12:25 PM
  #14
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,500
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I'm not saying you're wrong. But unless I missed some sarcasm, where would they put them?

Next year they have Pronger, Timmonen, Meszaros, Coburn, Carle, Walker and Bartulis under contract.
Sarcasm

Last 2 years they keep loading up on defensemen.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 12:33 PM
  #15
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,550
vCash: 500
Another name in play: Ville Leino

He's slated to hit UFA this summer, as well.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 12:43 PM
  #16
Jagemon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Finland
Posts: 911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Another name in play: Ville Leino

He's slated to hit UFA this summer, as well.
R&R combo with european players doesn't work. They almost never draft european players anymore so I doub't they would be that high on Leino. I know, he is not draft material but you would think that Sabres management towards europeans have to carry on to NHL-proven players as well.

Jagemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 01:05 PM
  #17
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagemon View Post
R&R combo with european players doesn't work. They almost never draft european players anymore so I doub't they would be that high on Leino. I know, he is not draft material but you would think that Sabres management towards europeans have to carry on to NHL-proven players as well.
What like Tallinder & Lydman out and Morrisonn & Leopold in?


WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 02:04 PM
  #18
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Another name in play: Ville Leino

He's slated to hit UFA this summer, as well.
Probably not in play. As I said in my earlier post, if Carter signs a deal with a similar cap hit as Mike Richards' deal, that puts the Flyers at $58 mil with every important player signed, save Leino. With the cap potentially rising $3-$4 mil next season because of a new TV deal, that'd leave Philly with more than enough room for Leino, who'll probably command something in the $2.5-$3 mil range on a two-year deal. And, if things got tight, Ed Snider and the Flyers would have no problem putting Matt Walker and his $1.7 mil cap hit in the minors.

Believe me, I've played around with these scenarios on Capgeek. I'd like both Carter and Leino in blue and gold, but there's a strong likelihood both re-sign with Philly.


Last edited by Zip15: 11-10-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 02:08 PM
  #19
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 33,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagemon View Post
R&R combo with european players doesn't work. They almost never draft european players anymore so I doub't they would be that high on Leino. I know, he is not draft material but you would think that Sabres management towards europeans have to carry on to NHL-proven players as well.
Why is that?

European players were drafted by the Sabres in the past because they were an inexpensive development option. Thats not the case anymore.


Leino's game is very similar to Hecht's a player R&R love.



I also don't buy the premise that R&R don't work with Europeans.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 02:12 PM
  #20
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death
 
Ron Barr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: bdddddddet
Posts: 5,820
vCash: 500
I don't want Carter on our team. He's overrated.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 02:16 PM
  #21
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
I don't want Carter on our team. He's overrated.
I tend to agree. Several of my Flyers fan friends cannot stand the guy. One always tells me that if you need a guy to win you a game on a Tuesday night in January, Carter is your guy, but don't expect him to be a difference-maker in the playoffs. I see the same things when I've watched him in the playoffs last season. Buffalo doesn't need more perimeter players whose game falls off when the chips are down.

Still, he's better and younger than Connolly, though his price will probably be out of whack with his true value.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 02:21 PM
  #22
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 33,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
I don't want Carter on our team. He's overrated.
In what way?

He is a good top 6 center that should give you 30+g 60+pts and contribute on the PK and PP. A solid all situations top 6 center.

He would be a upgrade from Connolly and that would make this team better. He isn't a cure all, no player is. But he would upgrade the talent level at a position on this team its sorely needed.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 02:30 PM
  #23
ohheyimmark
Registered User
 
ohheyimmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 3,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
I don't want Carter on our team. He's overrated.
Agreed. The center I want most from Philly i the one least likely to come here. We miss 48 every damn game.

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 02:31 PM
  #24
Ghills23
Registered User
 
Ghills23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 2,704
vCash: 500
I dislike Jeff Carter. But I would love him on the Sabres.

He'll most likely get resigned. But I don't even think Regier would give up the assets to trade for Brad Richards or Carter.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 03:04 PM
  #25
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 33,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I tend to agree. Several of my Flyers fan friends cannot stand the guy. One always tells me that if you need a guy to win you a game on a Tuesday night in January, Carter is your guy, but don't expect him to be a difference-maker in the playoffs. I see the same things when I've watched him in the playoffs last season. Buffalo doesn't need more perimeter players whose game falls off when the chips are down.

Still, he's better and younger than Connolly, though his price will probably be out of whack with his true value.
He was not a perimeter player from what I saw. I think the main knock on him is that he isn't very physical for a guy his size not that he is afraid to go in traffic.

Carter only played in 12 playoff games due to injury last spring. 8 of them he played as a winger upon his return. A position he hadn't played to that point of his NHL career. All things considered he did well for himself potting 5 goals (1 was a game winner).


Carter has been as productive a goal scorer in the playoffs as Richards.

Last 3 seasons

Richards -> 46gms 15g (.33 gpg) he had 1 game winner in those games.
Carter ---> 35gms 12g (.34 gpg) he had 2 game winners

But he isn't nearly as physical or as good a playmaker as Richards so he gets pummeled by Flyer fans.

He was 4th on the Flyers in goals per game (.42 gpg) in their run to the Cup Finals. Briere (.52) and Gagne (.47) were ahead of him. Giroux (.43) was virtually tied with him.

Carter is a goal scoring center thats an ok playmaker. He is not a world beater but is hardly the playoff no show some of your friends feel he is.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.