HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators Prospect Updates, 2010-2011 - II

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Wham City

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
Our goalie situation is just ok
Our Defencemen situation is great
Our forward situation is terrible- Spezza is the only top line talent- there might be a few second line talents
Pretty much.

A team that trumpets being rich in "dark horse' prospects is just another way of saying our prospects aren't very good.

Old
01-14-2011, 12:53 PM
HSF

saying our young forward group is "terrible" and then saying we ONLY have Spezza is contradictory.

We have our franchise player upfront in Spezza which is arguably the hardest piece to find in a rebuild being a top line center. Ottawa believes they also have their center peice on defensemen in Karlsson which is probably the 2nd hardest piece to find

We need another top line player and that might be solved in this years draft. With a bit of luck and some patiences we should be on our way back up.

Old
01-14-2011, 02:30 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinYS View Post
I'm guessing this thread is where I'd post this question.

Would Locke be any part of our future with more young guys coming? I know he just played one game. Would he be a 3rd\4th liner if he stays with the big club? I'm guessing his speed would keep him out of the Top 6 but apart from that?

Any insight into this? I'm just trying to picture our line-up in the next few years.
Locke is a guy who only really fits into a top 6 role. They won't try to squeeze him into a role he's not comfortable in as he'd be useless. Now perhaps we go with a more offensive minded third line ala BUffalo 05-07 and he fits there but I don't see it happening since we have so many young bangers who could form a couple of very good stereotypical bottom 6 lines (O'Brien, Greening, Smith, Winchester etc).

I doubt he has a long term future on the team but he can play himself into a spot for next year like how Shannon did a few years ago. He has to produce and get PP time. That's where he's useful and will excel. Its impossible to tell after just one game.

Honestly, his speed in the game last night wasn't a huge issue. He kept up just fine and it never hurt him. He's not going to burn guys coming down the wing but it seems that his skating issues are way overblown. Its more his size that will hurt him. He's a puck possession guy and he might not be able to keep a cycle going if a 6'4 NHL defensemen gets in his way.

I just hope he gets some PP time tonight vs. the Flames.

One thing he has going for him is that he's very motivated. He has that chip on his shoulder and he knows this could be one of his last chances. It should be fun to watch him over the next few games as he could completely reshape his life if he performs.

Old
01-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post

Honestly, his speed in the game last night wasn't a huge issue. He kept up just fine and it never hurt him. He's not going to burn guys coming down the wing but it seems that his skating issues are way overblown. Its more his size that will hurt him. He's a puck possession guy and he might not be able to keep a cycle going if a 6'4 NHL defensemen gets in his way.
We'll get a much better bearing tonight as the Flames boast a much much better defense. The opposition really wasn't much ahead of the oppositions he faces in the AHL. And maybe we'll see some more time on the man advantage, not just in the last minute of the game.

Old
01-14-2011, 04:42 PM
ElBorba1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
If you look at the stats statsheet perhaps, his play was atrocious IMO. In fact I don't think I ever seen him play as poorly as he did today, I think I stopped counting after a dozen or so giveaways. He was also on the ice for all four goals against, two of which he probably could have prevented with a little smart defensive play.

I'll give him credit for the nice hit and for the superb wrister which resulted in a goal though.

I need to tell you that he was the second best player on the ice. I can't help it but he made your team (frolunda) looks really bad today.

Old
01-14-2011, 06:03 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBorba1 View Post
I need to tell you that he was the second best player on the ice. I can't help it but he made your team (frolunda) looks really bad today.
Hehe, now that's just insulting to the other 38 players.

Old
01-14-2011, 07:08 PM
playasRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
saying our young forward group is "terrible" and then saying we ONLY have Spezza is contradictory.

We have our franchise player upfront in Spezza which is arguably the hardest piece to find in a rebuild being a top line center. Ottawa believes they also have their center peice on defensemen in Karlsson which is probably the 2nd hardest piece to find

We need another top line player and that might be solved in this years draft. With a bit of luck and some patiences we should be on our way back up.
Problem is he's facing injury issues a lot lately. :S

Old
01-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Tuna99

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
Problem is he's facing injury issues a lot lately. :S
Just because a guy makes 7 million doesn't make him a franchise player he is not elite and is nowhere close to being a top center in the NHL.

In the Eastern Confrence alone he is not even a top 15 Center, and is probably comparable in terms of real value a player like Steven Weiss or Ales Hemsky (LW). Players that help a line, but don't carry a line or can run a PP alone - Spezza is not in the class of Nash, Perry, St Louis, he's in the lower class with Olie Jokinen and Mike Riebiero

I know fans in Ottawa love Spezzza, but it's becoming more clear every game he plays he racked up points because Alfie was in MVP form for a few years and Heatley wanted to get himself back on the NHL map after his accident with Danny Snyder and used to play hard.

Old
01-14-2011, 09:20 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
Just because a guy makes 7 million doesn't make him a franchise player he is not elite and is nowhere close to being a top center in the NHL.

In the Eastern Confrence alone he is not even a top 15 Center, and is probably comparable in terms of real value a player like Steven Weiss or Ales Hemsky (LW). Players that help a line, but don't carry a line or can run a PP alone - Spezza is not in the class of Nash, Perry, St Louis, he's in the lower class with Olie Jokinen and Mike Riebiero

I know fans in Ottawa love Spezzza, but it's becoming more clear every game he plays he racked up points because Alfie was in MVP form for a few years and Heatley wanted to get himself back on the NHL map after his accident with Danny Snyder and used to play hard.
Spezza would put up big numbers like he has before if he actually had atleast one top line player playing with him.

To maximize Spezza he needs a finisher. Alfie isnt that and Michalek is having trouble finding chemistry with Spezza. Kovy is a better playmaker etc etc

Lets draft or sign a sniper and play him beside Spezza and watch the magic unfold

Just look how bad our team is without him our PP is also effing pathetic without him

Old
01-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Jared Cowen 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
Spezza would put up big numbers like he has before if he actually had atleast one top line player playing with him.

To maximize Spezza he needs a finisher. Alfie isnt that and Michalek is having trouble finding chemistry with Spezza. Kovy is a better playmaker etc etc

Lets draft or sign a sniper and play him beside Spezza and watch the magic unfold

Just look how bad our team is without him our PP is also effing pathetic without him
Thats why I'm hoping that Petersson pans out. He could be the best sniper since Heatley for us. But that is atleast two years away.

Old
01-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
Our goalie situation is just ok
Our Defencemen situation is great
Our forward situation is terrible- Spezza is the only top line talent- there might be a few second line talents
I don't think terrible is the right word to say the least. We may lack blue chip forwards but some of our prospects have a good upside. Really not as bleak as people on this board make it out to be. Don't just look at where they were picked in a draft to gauge potential...

Jakob Silfverberg
Bobby Butler
Andre Petersson
Markus Sorensen
Mike Hoffman
Derek Grant
Louie Caporusso
Roman Wick
Jakub Culek

Among that group, most of them have 2nd line potential. It depends on many factors though, like for Petersson if he can fix those back problems. Some others are still far away but could end up being very good forwards like Sorensen and Grant for example. Remains to be seen but i'm positive we will get at least 2 top-6 forwards out of that bunch. We never know, with a bit of luck, one of them could end up being a 1st line forward

Zack Smith
Erik Condra
Jim O'Brien
Colin Greening
David Dziurzynski
Corey Cowick
Jeff Costello

Bottom-6 group potential with a nice blend of size, grit, speed and skills as well as leadership qualities

If we draft a blue chip forward and 2-3 prospect forwards with good upside (like Silfverberg) with other picks, we end up with a very strong prospect pool. This bad season could be a blessing in disguise in that aspect. We could also sign young FA agents like Murray has an history to do (Penner, Kunitz, Winchester, Butler, Dziurzynski...)

Old
01-14-2011, 11:32 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post

This is a joke right? It's got to be a joke. Spezza is trying to extend his game to be more defensive, and he's also finally started taking more shots. Next year will be a breakout year for him, and if they pair him with a good sniper on his left wing he'll hit 100 pts again this career. He's definitely on the level of a St. Louis or Nash talentwise -- keep in mind he's also snakebitten. Hopefully that goes away.

I know it's far-fetched, but with a Parise - Spezza - Michalek line, or even a Parise - Spezza - Alfredsson line he'd hit 100 eZ.

Old
01-14-2011, 11:35 PM
Pangu

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
Its not terrible what people have to keep in mind is there are players that are under acheving its not like they have no skill.
Who is underachieving really? Spezza and Regin are probably underachieving, but the rest of the forwards are probably just not that good. None of them are really playing outside of the range that one would reasonably expect given their histories.

And its ridiculous to put too much faith in late round prospects that have done some exciting things in lesser leagues. Anybody who has been on this site for the last few years has seen boat loads of Zubovs who were great in College/Russia/SEL, etc., but that never made in the NHL. We will be lucky if one of our forward prospects becomes a good NHL forward.

Nor should we be too confident about our defensive prospects. It looks like we have three good ones, but there is always a fair amount of risk with these guys.

Old
01-14-2011, 11:54 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangu View Post
Who is underachieving really? Spezza and Regin are probably underachieving, but the rest of the forwards are probably just not that good. None of them are really playing outside of the range that one would reasonably expect given their histories.

And its ridiculous to put too much faith in late round prospects that have done some exciting things in lesser leagues. Anybody who has been on this site for the last few years has seen boat loads of Zubovs who were great in College/Russia/SEL, etc., but that never made in the NHL. We will be lucky if one of our forward prospects becomes a good NHL forward.

Nor should we be too confident about our defensive prospects. It looks like we have three good ones, but there is always a fair amount of risk with these guys.
Michalek is better then what he has show in San Jose

Seems like he is only now regaining his speed but if we surround Spezza and Michalek with actual skill and not guys like Fisher, Shannon etc we might get somewhere

Closed Thread