HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NHL Gamecenter Live coming to Roku, Boxee, and PS3

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-11-2010, 08:36 AM
  #1
SkullSplitter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,847
vCash: 500
NHL Gamecenter Live coming to Roku, Boxee, and PS3

http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2010/1...e-channel.html


But of course local games will be blacked out. If they weren't I'd pull the plug on cable.

Do you think there will be a point when blacking out games ends? We've got a government that's supposed to protect consumers from monopolies, but yet our government often empowers them.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 12:34 PM
  #2
sh724
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Missouri
Country: United States
Posts: 2,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectraljulian View Post
http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2010/1...e-channel.html


But of course local games will be blacked out. If they weren't I'd pull the plug on cable.

Do you think there will be a point when blacking out games ends? We've got a government that's supposed to protect consumers from monopolies, but yet our government often empowers them.
No blackouts will never end, the networks pay good money to broadcast those games, which in theory gets them more subscribers making them more money, no network will give that up and its the networks that decide what is blacked out. It is not a monopoly you can watch hockey games in any other market of the same league so its technically not a monopoly.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 07:16 AM
  #3
SkullSplitter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,847
vCash: 500
Not technically a monopoly, but it's anti-competitive and anti-consumer choice. If you want to watch your local team, you have to do so via Cable or Satellite. If you want to use the internet for TV, a new popular alternative because it allows people to choose what they're paying for, you can't. It's utter BS, and this is the sort of stuff where the government is actually supposed to step in (they do get their nose in a lot of places, yet every town has one cable company, and many states you can't choose your utility companies, here in PA at the very least we can choose our electric company)

The issue doesn't seem to be against people watching over the internet, it's not watching their local broadcast. Why can't NHL Gamecenter provide the Local Broadcast so that Fox Sports will still get their viewers?

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:53 AM
  #4
SENSfreak_03
Registered User
 
SENSfreak_03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,969
vCash: 500
Local games will end up online eventually. Not through GCL, as it's meant to be for out of town fans, and fans who want to see teams beyond their own team. It's the same thing as NHL Centre Ice, but with a few more options and online.

Eventually some teams will start to negotiate with their local broadcast partners to stream the games in their market. The Yankees already do this. CBC already streams every game they do, TSN has VOD (and I would image streaming is coming when they get a new deal). It's not going to be an overnight transition we'd all like to see, but it will happen.

SENSfreak_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:56 AM
  #5
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM
 
CommunistDayKare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENSfreak_03 View Post
Local games will end up online eventually. Not through GCL, as it's meant to be for out of town fans, and fans who want to see teams beyond their own team. It's the same thing as NHL Centre Ice, but with a few more options and online.

Eventually some teams will start to negotiate with their local broadcast partners to stream the games in their market. The Yankees already do this. CBC already streams every game they do, TSN has VOD (and I would image streaming is coming when they get a new deal). It's not going to be an overnight transition we'd all like to see, but it will happen.
MLB teams already do this, specifically the Yankees and Padres, where they offer in-market streaming of all 162 games.

CommunistDayKare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 07:18 AM
  #6
SkullSplitter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,847
vCash: 500
Well that would be nice.

I'd think selling games directly to the fans could increase revenue for teams.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 09:56 AM
  #7
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago area
Country: United States
Posts: 23,436
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommunistDayKare View Post
MLB teams already do this, specifically the Yankees and Padres, where they offer in-market streaming of all 162 games.
I believe to get this, though, you still have to subscribe to cable that would get YES or whatever channel the Padres are on. It's just so those who aren't near a TV can watch

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 02:00 PM
  #8
mgeise
Registered User
 
mgeise's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fargo, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 4,031
vCash: 500
I'm glad to hear the NHL is doing this. Hopefully Gamecenter is available on 360 next

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.