HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O'Byrne/Bournival trade revisited

Old
11-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Habs13

vCash: 500
Another crap move by our crap head office. Oh great, another under-sized forward (6' 183 lbs IS under-sized before anybody jumps in) ....whatever, it is getting too frustrating to follow this team anymore.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 06:58 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Another crap move by our crap head office. Oh great, another under-sized forward (6' 183 lbs IS under-sized before anybody jumps in) ....whatever, it is getting too frustrating to follow this team anymore.
He's bigger than any centreman not named Eller, so I don't see your point.

A guy that was probably not going to play again this year for a kid with potential. Smart move.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 07:00 PM
LastRide

TSN had him listed as 5'11". He must be the Habs biggest player.

LastRide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 07:09 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
O'Byrne wasn't playing anymore , so basically it's

To Colorado ( .. .. .. .. )
To Habs ( Bournival + 800,000$ of cap space ) .

Gauthier
100th put it well. We traded a player that would barely be playing for us. We basically wasted nothing and got a mid-level prospect.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 07:09 PM
NewHabsEra*

Thats a pretty good move, OByrne was still struggling with his first pass as well as developing his overal skills.. Bournival is a pretty nice propsect, Ive been high on him for a while.. Avs are stacked at center for years to come with Statsny Duchesne Oreilly, they could afford losing Bourni while our depth chart gets better down the middle.. I think Bourval can translate in a good second line center..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 11-11-2010 at 07:16 PM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 07:28 PM
LastRide

This guy is actually suppose to be pretty good. Has some potential. Gives a 100% and has some wheels. We'll see I guess. He's still young.

LastRide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 07:39 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Another player that has failed to develop well under Habs management.
You do realize how many prospects fail to develop into their potential for any team right?

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 07:48 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
yikes, he turned 18 six months ago, you don't think he's going to grow any over the next 5 years? Plus I'll take natural body strength over size, if he's among the best of his age group strength wise, that should bode well for him going forward.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 08:31 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Bournival's a hardworker with good wheels and good hockey sense. Absolutely nothing wrong with picking him up

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Crap move ?? Trolling a bit ??

Vasculio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Darth Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
100th put it well. We traded a player that would barely be playing for us. We basically wasted nothing and got a mid-level prospect.
Agreed.

Not saying that it was a bad trade for Colorado because they might be getting a good 5th/6th defensemen (for them) out of this.

But O'Byrne was simply caught in a numbers game in Montreal. It happens. I don't get why a lot of people here are so down on this trade. We clear almost a million in cap space, and get a very young and interesting prospect (the fact he's so young is good, because we're currently very deep at center - but that can change in 3 years).

Now, while O'Bryne could have made a helpful piece in a package for an impact player, so could a prospect (and getting Bournival means that, later this year, we have added prospect depth from which to deal from).

All-told, I love this trade. It could really help our overall trading position come the deadline.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Just went back to see the draft thread.....Here's to myself, NHLDraftVideo, FelixD, Accident, Louis Houde amongst a few....it's redemption time people. At least, 4 people were dissapointed to see Bournival gone to the Avs. It's better late than nothing....we just finished our 2010 draft!!!! I had Bournival amongst my top 5 as soon as the 2nd round. As much as I always believed in O'Byrne, I just can't say I'm dissapointed. I did make the prediction that if he was available, the Habs would pick him. They did...just a couple of months late....

Last edited by Whitesnake: 11-11-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 08:54 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
I agree, its way too frustrating to have our best post season in 17 years.

Its way too frustrating to be first in our division.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 08:56 PM
strutsboa

Picard has been better than O'Byrne this year.

O'Byrne 26 years 128 GP
Picard 25 years 202 GP

O'Byrne wasn't part of neither our present or future, I really like that Gauthier could get us a 3rd round prospect for him.

strutsboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 08:59 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Just a heads up.. Hamrlik is on pace for 41-points this year.

Who needs O'Byrne?

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Just when posters finally figured out how to spell his name, and that it's not "O'Bryne".

Another JM doghouse tenant off to play for another team, another long shot forward coming back.

This team is not stacked on D, and I hope OB's value as injury insurance doesn't become a factor in the team's fortune.

Pretty much a nothing deal.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Don't let the door kick ya on your way out.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:29 PM
HomaridII

On L'AntichambrE they think two or three years from now our third line will be all francophone with Gabriel Dumont + Bournival + Lapierre.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Just went back to see the draft thread.....Here's to myself, NHLDraftVideo, FelixD, Accident, Louis Houde amongst a few....it's redemption time people. At least, 4 people were dissapointed to see Bournival gone to the Avs. It's better late than nothing....we just finished our 2010 draft!!!! I had Bournival amongst my top 5 as soon as the 2nd round. As much as I always believed in O'Byrne, I just can't say I'm dissapointed. I did make the prediction that if he was available, the Habs would pick him. They did...just a couple of months late....
I'm guessing you like this deal?

I don't know much about Bournival, I just know he has a really good on-ice character and works extremly hard.

Can't complain. O'byrne was not playing for us and I'm surprised we got anything in return.

Gauthier is really bringing in prospects in. This started with Gainey also last year.

From last june we've brought in

Eller
Pouliot(was still a prospect last year)
Pyatt (was still a prospect last year)
Schultz
Bournival
Ramo
Palushaj

Am I missing anyone? Gauthier really seems keen on getting as many prospects as possible with our log jam of players. We really hadn't done much of this in the past few years. We'd usually trade players for picks or other aging veteran players.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
On L'AntichambrE they think two or three years from now our third line will be all francophone with Gabriel Dumont + Bournival + Lapierre.
that's what I call being optimistic.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:39 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
They could be right. Plus Leblanc, somewhere in there. I like the trade. Bournival is a good prospect. Speedy and guts. Great combo that usually wins you some money. Pendergrast (Canada's Junior head scout) just drools over this kid. Says he's the complete package.

O'Byrne was a coulda, shoulda, woulda. Nothing more. Peter Popovic with a meaner streak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
that's what I call being optimistic.
Why's that? Dumont will make the Habs one day. Lapierre will still be here. Plus Bournival has all the attributes.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:53 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I'm guessing you like this deal?

I don't know much about Bournival, I just know he has a really good on-ice character and works extremly hard.

Can't complain. O'byrne was not playing for us and I'm surprised we got anything in return.

Gauthier is really bringing in prospects in. This started with Gainey also last year.

From last june we've brought in

Eller
Pouliot(was still a prospect last year)
Pyatt (was still a prospect last year)
Schultz
Bournival
Ramo
Palushaj

Am I missing anyone? Gauthier really seems keen on getting as many prospects as possible with our log jam of players. We really hadn't done much of this in the past few years. We'd usually trade players for picks or other aging veteran players.
This is important because most of our core is locked up for a long time with high contracts. The only way to complement these type of players in a salary cap world is with young prospects who have low cap hits.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:58 PM
RE-HABS

Why anyone would be disappointed in this trade blows my mind.

OB wasn't going to crack this line up, and players in the minors like Weber and Carle are better both ways, and Henry is solid as a tough stable 7 guy too...and Picard is there too.

This was a good trade, for a player scouts are saying is a good player and Team Canada is also looking at for the WJC.

This is a good deal for Montreal, it isn't like we don't have Tinordi, Bennett and others in the system...not to mention the next draft.

Best deal, I didn't think we would get anything more than a 6th round pick.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Duff88

Quote:
The team is currently sitting 5th in the league... This is so frustrating!

Duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Serious HABit

Colorado's biggest steal since the St.patrick trade.

Gauthier. Highway robbery....

Serious HABit is offline   Reply With Quote