HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cbj Upgrade

Old
11-11-2010, 01:53 PM
wahsnairb

vCash: 500
Cbj Upgrade

we have a good amount of depth at forward right now (for once) and it's going to be hard to fit everyone into the equation. i understand you want depth because injuries are a huge part of hockey, but we are definitely deep enough to package for upgrades at either #1 D, a better forward, or a #1 C (even if brassard stays how he is playing you can never have enough quality centers).

who would you like to see the team go after? who could actually be available and worth targeting?

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Gulvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
we have a good amount of depth at forward right now (for once) and it's going to be hard to fit everyone into the equation. i understand you want depth because injuries are a huge part of hockey, but we are definitely deep enough to package for upgrades at either #1 D, a better forward, or a #1 C (even if brassard stays how he is playing you can never have enough quality centers).

who would you like to see the team go after? who could actually be available and worth targeting?

The only thing that needs to be done at the moment, in my view, is to dump Commodore's contract. He is our worst defender imo at the moment and makes the most money. That way his money can be used to resign Voracek and leaves us with the ability to resign other RFAs and any UFAs we want to keep next year.

Gulvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:00 PM
wahsnairb

i think most all of us would love to see commodore gone

Old
11-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulvorn View Post
The only thing that needs to be done at the moment, in my view, is to dump Commodore's contract. He is our worst defender imo at the moment and makes the most money. That way his money can be used to resign Voracek and leaves us with the ability to resign other RFAs and any UFAs we want to keep next year.
yeah he's been awful on IR and all

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:13 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
yeah he's been awful on IR and all
I'm with you, Fro, we're not so good that we can just toss away a veteran defenseman like Commie without even seeing how he'll fit into the lineup. If he's not working in practice or if he fails when he gets some game time, then think about getting rid of him. Until then, let things settle down and wait for the inevitable injuries that will challenge our depth of NHL-quality defensemen.

Besides, what does anyone think a player with no significant ice time, this year, and a relatively large contract would bring in trade? This organization is not in a position to discard assets without adequate compensation in return.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:19 PM
wahsnairb

less about commodore, more about who you would like to see the jackets go after to further improve this team.

Old
11-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post

Besides, what does anyone think a player with no significant ice time, this year, and a relatively large contract would bring in trade?
About the same as a player with a checkered history on a relatively large contract who has been injured and plays poorly after he's inserted in the lineup.

Commie's not getting traded.

The blueline would seem to be the most likely place to make a deal. I have no idea who's available or what might be offered. I know Juice and Moreau are roster players who might cause a logjam if they return (Juice not getting better is a concern), but the real depth at forward is in your Murray's, your Boll's, etc. and I don't see any of that being moved.

Old
11-11-2010, 02:28 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
less about commodore, more about who you would like to see the jackets go after to further improve this team.
OK, in that case, this team still needs a top-quality defenseman who can skate, hit, and unload a rocket from the point. Sadly, or not, I think we're going to have to grow our own, and that ain't happening overnight.

Old
11-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
I'm greedy, I want Malkin.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
OK, in that case, this team still needs a top-quality defenseman who can skate, hit, and unload a rocket from the point. Sadly, or not, I think we're going to have to grow our own, and that ain't happening overnight.
We have a number of candidates percolating in Springfield.

Besides that, nobody is going to trade a legitimate top defense man for any number of depth players. And I don't believe we are in a position to trade any of our top flight talent.

Build from within. And we can actually see it is possible, and that it is exactly what is happening.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:07 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
We have a number of candidates percolating in Springfield.

Besides that, nobody is going to trade a legitimate top defense man for any number of depth players. And I don't believe we are in a position to trade any of our top flight talent.

Build from within. And we can actually see it is possible, and that it is exactly what is happening.
i don't know that i completely agree. there are plenty of teams who will be willing to part with players for depth/prospect/picks (especially as the season progresses).

Old
11-11-2010, 03:08 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
I'm greedy, I want Malkin.
i wonder what exactly it would take from us to land malkin.. i don't know that we want to know.

Old
11-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
i don't know that i completely agree. there are plenty of teams who will be willing to part with players for depth/prospect/picks (especially as the season progresses).

Part with players, yes. But a #1 or #2 defenseman, considering how few and far between they really are, I just don't think any number of depth players/prospects/picks is going to bring that kind of return.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:39 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Well...

Admittedly I don't know much about the real world of hockey dealings, but I'd say coming out of the trade deadline a guy like Kaberle, who does not figure into Brian Burke's long range plans could work out very nicely for us for little cost..

I would prefer that they go get a Phaneuf, or someone with more of a scoring touch on the blue line. You have to admit that another guy (other than Stralman) firing it in from the right blue line would probably work wonders. Shea Weber is the kind of guy that could make an imediate 105 mile an hour impact

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Matt

You are slowly seeing the defenseman you covet in Marc Methot. Hang in there and he will be your man by the end of this season

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
Admittedly I don't know much about the real world of hockey dealings, but I'd say coming out of the trade deadline a guy like Kaberle, who does not figure into Brian Burke's long range plans could work out very nicely for us for little cost..

I would prefer that they go get a Phaneuf, or someone with more of a scoring touch on the blue line. You have to admit that another guy (other than Stralman) firing it in from the right blue line would probably work wonders. Shea Weber is the kind of guy that could make an imediate 105 mile an hour impact
I'm not sure which is less likely, Weber or Malkin.

Though between the two, I'd probably take Weber. Call me crazy.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 05:14 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
You are slowly seeing the defenseman you covet in Marc Methot. Hang in there and he will be your man by the end of this season
I'm not convinced, yet, that he can reach those heights, but I sure hope you're right!

Old
11-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Doug19

Honestly I love the way the team is competing each night, I'd still obviously love to upgrade the defense but not at the expense of one of our forwards. I think the team should stand pat, but always be looking to upgrade defense with a better puck-mover, by maybe trying to get rid of Tyutin, Klesla, or Russell.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Don't think Methot has quite that high of a ceiling. I love the way he's playing, but I don't see that type of player in him. I hope he proves me wrong.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 08:12 AM
blahblah

Quote:

Should be out of the oven sometime in 2023.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 09:52 AM
blahblah

Let's just put it this way, of the 24 goals scored by defensemen in the central division Hejda has our lone goal. We are last in the division in points by dmen.

I'll be interesting to see if Klesla and Methot can keep up those double digit +/-'s they are sporting.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:36 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Good one eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
I'm not sure which is less likely, Weber or Malkin.

Though between the two, I'd probably take Weber. Call me crazy.
Bugg, you're right you are crazy, but I tend to agree. My ultimate dream scenario would be the Jackets acquiring Ryan Getzlaf for our next two drafts. Can you picture the skill and grit of Getzlaf pushing up the ice with Nash on the wing. Gino is the supreme talent, but Getzlaf brings the fire and willingness to steamroll you.

so imo Getzlaf, Weber, Malkin and consideration for Eric Stahl too.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 01:43 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
Bugg, you're right you are crazy, but I tend to agree. My ultimate dream scenario would be the Jackets acquiring Ryan Getzlaf for our next two drafts. Can you picture the skill and grit of Getzlaf pushing up the ice with Nash on the wing. Gino is the supreme talent, but Getzlaf brings the fire and willingness to steamroll you.

so imo Getzlaf, Weber, Malkin and consideration for Eric Stahl too.
These kinds of wish posts remind me of the people that must've sat around a board room at Warner Brothers planning Batman movies in the 90s.

Old
11-12-2010, 09:38 PM
punk_o_holic

There was a rumour/thread started a couple of weeks ago claiming that the Ducks GM would rather trade one of Ryan or Perry, rather then firing the coach. If that is the case, I would love to get one of those two players. It'll cost us alot but depending on the pieces, I would most likely pull the trigger. I would prefer Perry over Ryan. Perry is a ****** but if he is the type of player that you hate to play against but love to have as your teammate.

As for defense, not sure who is available. Any interest in Ryan Whitney? Might not cost us a arm and a leg but may not be a significant upgrade on what we have.

Only problem is they all make alot of money.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Crede777
Deputized

I am going to say that most likely upgrade would be upgrading Huselius for a better winger. I think getting a legit PMD is neigh impossible right now.

What we need is a Brent Burns. What are the chances of that? Nil.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote