HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cbj Upgrade

Old
11-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

vCash: 500
With some of the names being dropped, Drew Doughty isn't too far of a stretch

In a more serious tone though, it would be great to look at a guy either on the outs with his team or maybe that just needs a change of scenery. And no, I don't mean Kovalchuk.

I think we definitely have to look at a defenseman if we are to improve this team - we have three feasably good lines and some decent depth players up front, and we have about 5 or 6 second pairing defensemen; we just lack that top "elite" guy. While I'd love to see a Dion Phaneuf or Shea Weber come our way, we have to be more realistic - our team will never acquire those kind of players, so we have to aim lower, maybe look at a more veteran guy like Jovanovski or Kaberle. We will have to most likely give up a young player or high picks, as well as take on some hefty salary ... but it could possibly be done.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:35 PM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I am going to say that most likely upgrade would be upgrading Huselius for a better winger. I think getting a legit PMD is neigh impossible right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post

What we need is a Brent Burns. What are the chances of that? Nil.
In my post above I mentioned Ryan or Perry.

I would offer something like...
C. Perry
for
K. Huselius and N. Filatov
or
C. Perry and a 3rd rounder
for
M. Commodore, N. Filatov, and a next year's 1st rounder (Ducks defense seems suspect, can Commodore help them?. Also thinking Columbus can keep it up so the draft pick would be a mid range pick. Not a top 5).

but I think the Ducks would ask for something like....

K. Huselius and R. Johansen
or
R.J. Umberger and Filatov

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
With some of the names being dropped, Drew Doughty isn't too far of a stretch

In a more serious tone though, it would be great to look at a guy either on the outs with his team or maybe that just needs a change of scenery. And no, I don't mean Kovalchuk.

I think we definitely have to look at a defenseman if we are to improve this team - we have three feasably good lines and some decent depth players up front, and we have about 5 or 6 second pairing defensemen; we just lack that top "elite" guy. While I'd love to see a Dion Phaneuf or Shea Weber come our way, we have to be more realistic - our team will never acquire those kind of players, so we have to aim lower, maybe look at a more veteran guy like Jovanovski or Kaberle. We will have to most likely give up a young player or high picks, as well as take on some hefty salary ... but it could possibly be done.
I was actually thinking about Jovo last night after this thread got me thinking. Not sure if it would cost us to much or if we can add his salary. What about Adrian Aucoin? Might cost us less then Jovo but has a extra year on his contract but makes $2 mil compared to the $6.5 that Jovo makes.

Last edited by punk_o_holic: 11-12-2010 at 11:43 PM.
punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 01:54 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

Right on... Warner Bros. Loony tunes eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyBunchOfPucks View Post
These kinds of wish posts remind me of the people that must've sat around a board room at Warner Brothers planning Batman movies in the 90s.
But the creator of Batman movies.. maybe you weren't cutting me down as badly as I thought

Howson is going to take his time and wait patiently for those young dmen to force their way into the lineup. I like Methot, but don't quite see him as a 1st pairing - maybe a 4, probaby really a 5 or 6. Our hopes are on J Moore, and Cody or Savard

My first thought was Kaberle as stated, but I am also looking at Timeless Winters man crush. He is a free agent, but the PEI boy will end up w/ Toronto or somewhere closer to his origins I would think

Cory Perry.. another London Knight to add to Nash, Methot and Mase.. yes I definitely like this Perry can flat out play

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:01 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
[B]

In my post above I mentioned Ryan or Perry.

I would offer something like...
C. Perry
for
K. Huselius and N. Filatov
or
C. Perry and a 3rd rounder
for
M. Commodore, N. Filatov, and a next year's 1st rounder (Ducks defense seems suspect, can Commodore help them?. Also thinking Columbus can keep it up so the draft pick would be a mid range pick. Not a top 5).

but I think the Ducks would ask for something like....

K. Huselius and R. Johansen
or
R.J. Umberger and Filatov

I was actually thinking about Jovo last night after this thread got me thinking. Not sure if it would cost us to much or if we can add his salary. What about Adrian Aucoin? Might cost us less then Jovo but has a extra year on his contract but makes $2 mil compared to the $6.5 that Jovo makes.
Bad trades for us. Very bad.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Xoggz22

any upgrade still needs to occur on the back end. It's quite evident that this unit can not handle teams with speed AND skill. I think we can handle size and I think we've been disciplined enough ( in general) to handle skill but throw transition at this team and the defense looks terrible. I'm not unhappy with where this team sits right now but I'm still thinking Hejda, Tyutin and Klesla do not have the transition game to play in this system. I thought Tyutin did but he still coughs up the puck more than a room full of cats coughing up fur balls! I've left Commodore out of the equation because we all know he isn't a fit but has little trade value also.

Move Tyutin and one of our young D prospects and a pick for an upgrade on the big club. Moore slides into this team next year and that lets Rusty play in the bottom pairing and on the PK where he does excel. Rusty is the one I'd like to keep of the three but if he were dealt I wouldn't cry too long.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:40 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

With Commie back this last road trip,

I have to say I am liking our defense more. Admittedly there is plenty of room for improvement in the back, but they are playing pretty well. Not as offensive minded, but they are taking away the middle third and stopping transitions.

Other than the Bobby Ryan Shorty, and not clearing the defensive zone towards the end of the the Ducks & Sharks games

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 12:08 PM
inthemix

Some of these ideas are funny. Like the Ducks would break up their top line and ship out Corey Perry? Seriously though, none of the top D men are going to be traded unless they are having contract negotian issues for anyting short of our star and future star players. Unless you want to give up Voracek, Brassard, Nash- it just isnt going to happen.

Bottom line is we don't need any more wingers, and at this point our centers are decent. We need a PMD above all else. Should we overpay for one? Not sure yet, lets see if we keep rolling.

If we are going to make a move for one, it isnt going to be a blockbuster deal- it will be for a modest upgrade at or near the deadline.

Just wait till the Kaberle for 1st rounder+ rumors kick up after the new year. It happens every year.

inthemix is offline   Reply With Quote