HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Philadelphia Flyers (pure evil) @ Carolina Hurricanes (pure awesome)

Old
11-11-2010, 08:36 PM
sheriff bart

vCash: 500
Well, that wasn't too bad.

Let's look at the positives........

I got nothing.

sheriff bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

In other news, ECU is doing some amazing stuff in front of about 50 fans on CBS C network. (UAB can't draw any better than that?) Wow.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff bart View Post
Well, that wasn't too bad.

Let's look at the positives........

I got nothing.
The "no better than a 4th liner" scored. The captain got a nice rest so he can dominate some other game. Um....no one posting here was at the game and thus didn't have to watch it?

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Scorvo

Mediocre team on a very bad night gets killed by a great team on a good night. That's what I saw. When TKO is your best player, you aren't going to win many.

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Bomb View Post
I dunno, I think Brindamour could make the HoF. Won't be first ballot and might be on a weak year, but I think he could do it.

Oh, and does anyone else absolutely hate the black jerseys now? 3rd jerseys are supposed to be alternate, worn occasionally. Seems like every other home game has the team wearing them. Much prefer the good old fashioned red ones.
This is the 2nd time they've worn the third jerseys this year so they've only worn it once more than they've worn their whites at home.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 08:47 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
The "no better than a 4th liner" scored. The captain got a nice rest so he can dominate some other game. Um....no one posting here was at the game and thus didn't have to watch it?
Eh..I had it on mute after the 3rd goal and flipped on the WSOP main event from Tuesday. Yeah.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Caniac4ever

vCash: 1436
In no way was can this loss be put on Peters, but I would support him getting some time in Charlotte. He obviously has some issues that need some work, and having him play a heavy load down there might be just what he needs.

I wouldn't have a problem if McBain was sent down either. Obviously he started amazingly last season, and we all expected that to drop off. However, he could use some time playing against less than NHL quality opponents for a bit.

I also think Mo should put in POS come Saturday night. He needs to be in a game and there are lots of options when it comes to guys that could use a game out to rest and think about their priorities.

Also the refs sucked, the Flyers are poopyheads, and Mike McDumbutt shouldn't ever be on the radio again. Did I miss anyone?

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post
In no way was can this loss be put on Peters, but I would support him getting some time in Charlotte. He obviously has some issues that need some work, and having him play a heavy load down there might be just what he needs.

I wouldn't have a problem if McBain was sent down either. Obviously he started amazingly last season, and we all expected that to drop off. However, he could use some time playing against less than NHL quality opponents for a bit.

I also think Mo should put in POS come Saturday night. He needs to be in a game and there are lots of options when it comes to guys that could use a game out to rest and think about their priorities.

Also the refs sucked, the Flyers are poopyheads, and Mike McDumbutt shouldn't ever be on the radio again. Did I miss anyone?
If Peters does get sent down, who's the backup. Clearly Pogge or Murphy don't deserve it, so sign a veteran?

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 1436
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Anton View Post
If Peters does get sent down, who's the backup. Clearly Pogge or Murphy don't deserve it, so sign a veteran?

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 08:53 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Quote:

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
You can have leighton back if you want?

Terrible game from the canes tonight. What happened out there? your team gave up after the first shift of the game.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
This is the 2nd time they've worn the third jerseys this year so they've only worn it once more than they've worn their whites at home.
They've worn it twice in a row and twice in a span of 7 home games. Which would be fine if their plan wasn't to wear it 15 times during the year. One of the next 4 home games will be a black jersey night I'd bet.

Like I said, I don't like how they look and I think it's overkill to be using them as much as they have been. 41 home games, 15 black jersey nights, 1 night where we've won our away, leaving 25 red jerseys nights.

Old
11-11-2010, 08:57 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post

If I had to hear one more time about Bob Ross' English lessons...

Quote:
They've worn it twice in a row and twice in a span of 7 home games. Which would be fine if their plan wasn't to wear it 15 times during the year. One of the next 4 home games will be a black jersey night I'd bet.

Like I said, I don't like how they look and I think it's overkill to be using them as much as they have been. 41 home games, 15 black jersey nights, 1 night where we've won our away, leaving 25 red jerseys nights.
??? We wore our primary jerseys on Tuesday against the Oilers.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Got Back from the Game (which sucked ass)

Strangely I have a new understanding of how Mo works. He plays a speedy, defensive game because we don't have the talent, upfront or on the down back, to play anyway else.

Come to think of it, I do not believe Mo has ever been given a team that has more than two serious scoring threats (Francis- O'Neil, Brind'Amour- Francis-O'Neil, Brind'Amour- Staal, now Staal and Skinner). With the looming deadline firesale (bye bye Rosie, Cole, Jussi, Sammy, and Dwyer), we will see how he handles a (young) roster of players with actual hockey talent.

Staal actually played a good game. I didn't see this moping around after his deke didn't work crap that some will undoubtedly say he did until we were down by 6 (which I can understand). He was () physical when things didn't work, and played a decent game.

The problem is, his linemates were so terrible that they could not keep the zone for more than 30 seconds at a time. Only our 2nd line was able to do that, and that is why we lost.

Finally, I really loved the play when Corvo coughed up the puck on a pass up the middle between two Flyers, then proceeded to screen his goalie. I actually LOL'ed.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

It's been a long night. Then we've wore it two out of the last three times.

And I see the linemates excuse is back for Staal now. Probably more legitimate this game than in previous ones, as it allowed the Flyers D to focus completely on Staal, but it's still a weak excuse.

Old
11-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

Overall, I was pretty disappointed with the effort tonight. I didn't have high hopes coming into the game and I'm really not too upset that they lost to a better team. However, I thought the desire was missing. Mo was right when he basically said the team had no initiative in the 1st. They lost a ton of puck battles all game long. From my perspective, it looked like they flat out quit in the 3rd. The backchecking on the Richards SHG was pathetic.

Dwyer, Pitkanen, LaRose and Samsonov were the only players that weren't a minus. Cole and Ruutu were -4 a piece. Skinner and Harrison checked in at a -3.

Last edited by Big Daddy Cane: 11-12-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Incorrect Information
Big Daddy Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:15 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
You can have Boucher as your backup when Leighton comes back

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Joe McGrath

When the team loses 8-1 at home and we are worried about how often third jerseys are being worn, I think we need to do a quick re-evaluation of what actually matters. Plus I like the black jerseys, and I only get to see them 10-15 times while you get to see the red 25 times. I think you win.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:

And I see the linemates excuse is back for Staal now. Probably more legitimate this game than in previous ones, as it allowed the Flyers D to focus completely on Staal, but it's still a weak excuse.
I would like to note that I am using it in the context of this game only. Live, Staal actually played very well. The problem is that the turnover machine that Samsonov became (the one that was forced to the 4th line) reared its ugly head in full fashion. This was one of the few times since becoming a hockey fan that I saw a player move around for 10 seconds with the puck, when Point A and Point B are only 5 feet a part, then turn it over with no coercion at all.

LaRose was a non-factor.

The linemates were also bad because they could not keep the puck for more than 5 seconds at a time unless it was Staal. It was getting to the point that Staal would enter the zone, deke the opponent (with mixed success), then get a shot off or pass it. If he shot it, it would be blocked/ turned over/ caught by the goalie, and if he passed it, then Sergei or Chad would just cough it up.

I normally don't like the linemates excuse, but in this game, standing in a vacuum, LaRose and Samsonov were seriously limiting this teams success. The sad part is, I can not think of a way to fix this until the prospects mature, or Jokinen gets his mojo back. Jokinen of last year would have scored in the place of Chad given some of the time the Flyers allotted him.

Old
11-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

One small thing I also noted was that when there were battles along the boards in the Flyers offensive zone, then all three forwards would get into battling for the puck while the defense would just watch. Having all three battle for it and leaving no one to receive the open pass assuming the team regains procession really bugged me.

Old
11-11-2010, 09:22 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

It's all good. I do agree though that I think our 3rds are trotted out a little too heavily. I could understand in their inaugural season, but compare to the other teams whose third schedules I could find:

BOS - 12 dates (11 home, 1 road)
CGY - 12 dates (all home)
CHI - 11 dates (9 home, 2 road)
CLB - 15 dates (12 home, 3 road)
COL - 12 dates (all home)
LAK - 10 dates (all home). Retro alt - 4 dates (3 home, 1 road)
MIN - 16 dates (all home)
OTT - 10 dates (all home)
PIT - 10 dates (8 home, 2 road)
SJS - 14 dates (all home)
VAN - 9 dates (all home). Retro alt - 5 dates (all home)

So we're wearing our third more than any team except Minnesota who are also wearing theirs 16 times. It seems most teams wear it 10 or 12 times and I'd be perfectly happy with that. I commented to my wife last inight that it was weird hearing the Canes come out to "Rock You Like a Hurricane" instead of "Back in Black" on Tuesday since it seemed every game we went to last season was a third jersey night.

Oh yeah, the game? Ugh. Didn't watch all of it since we had to take a quick trip down to Amante for food but what we did watch was just bad. The Flyers came out and controlled the play from the very beginning it seemed. I can only hope we at least put up a fight against the Habs on Saturday. I'm not saying the sky is falling, but that was an ugly, ugly game.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton 2nd Pick View Post
Got Back from the Game (which sucked ass)

Finally, I really loved the play when Corvo coughed up the puck on a pass up the middle between two Flyers, then proceeded to screen his goalie. I actually LOL'ed.
That was priceless wasn't it? I know what he was trying to do (after he figured out the ****storm he created), but what he did was screen Peters to make sure there was no way to stop the goal.

'Holy crap, turn back...cut the lane...no, cover this guy...no, wrong guy...oops, sorry Pete.'

Old
11-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Clearly, instead of a bag skate we need to hit Pinehurst #2 stat before heading to Montreal.

Old
11-11-2010, 09:29 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498

Hi guys, miss me?

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Carter View Post

Hi guys, miss me?
Whats going on, I thought JR sealed him in hockey hell*, condemned to be hockey buddies with Justin Beiber...

*= New Jersey (see, see! Punny)