HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Garrett Stafford

Old
11-12-2010, 12:14 AM
Tom Polakis
W-L-W-L-W-L...

vCash: 500
Hey, he has a Stanley Cup ring!

Tom Polakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 05:49 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art.Vandelay View Post
Jim Gintonio tweeted that Stafford is likely to be in the lineup against the Flames.
He will be in the lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art.Vandelay View Post
Tippett was interviewed on 910 this afternoon. He said they not happy with OEL's play lately and are thinking about sending him to San Antonio for a few games. Might be why they called up Stafford.
From the information I've been checking out, they're not happy with OEL and Schlemko. If you take a look at my Defensive Zone discipline article OEL's bad play is highlighted. OEL has got the skills but he doesn't have the NHL level smarts....yet. Opposing teams are working him due to his lack of experience.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:25 AM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
It was hurt in the Detroit game, too. He was wincing in pain and the trainer was working on his right hand/wrist. He also had a really bad game, that not. Refused to pass the puck up ice, refused to carry the puck, and really looked like a deer in the headlights all evening. I don't know where his confidence went, but it scares the **** out of me that he was bursting with it before we got our hands on him.
I totally agree. OEL was playing with poise for a 19 yr old. It seems the young guys are subject to different expectations from the coaches than the vets.
I have seen so many turnovers by DeMo, Aucoin, Yandle and Jovo so far, and that doesn't make the radar, yet OEL is not cut any slack - that is how one loses his confidence.
The same analogy can be made of Kyle. He plays his heart out yet somehow is not allowed any miscues.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:52 AM
joe89

Little surprising to me. I haven't watched too many 'Yotes games though but I've followed his stats and his +/- compared to the team and other defencemen and it looked fine to me, so I assumed he was doing okay for a rookie.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:36 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Little surprising to me. I haven't watched too many 'Yotes games though but I've followed his stats and his +/- compared to the team and other defencemen and it looked fine to me, so I assumed he was doing okay for a rookie.
I think they were hoping for a better start by the team and they've struggled out of the gate. When that happens teams tend to lean on their veterans and not rookies.

Having said that, rather than have OEL playing as the 5th, 6th or 7th defense-man, they'd rather he play as the #1 or 2 in the AHL. He can be relied upon in all situations and really come into his own.

This will help him in the long run.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Waldo

GMDM seems to find some players that are totally unexpected to play. Maybe Garrett is a veteran AHL that has evolved his game in the A but gets overlooked. I'm pulling for the guy and hoping he is a surprise. I like these callups also because it gives everyone else in SA some hope.

I agree that Tipp has a high tolerance for vets and not much tolerance for prospects. I didn't view OEL as our bottom Dman. However, it won't hurt his development to play in SA. It mostly just irritates me that we have talent in SA but still play Prucha / Pyatt / Schlemko etc. Once again though, it doesn't hurt our prospects development.

Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 01:17 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsthegame View Post
I totally agree. OEL was playing with poise for a 19 yr old. It seems the young guys are subject to different expectations from the coaches than the vets.
I have seen so many turnovers by DeMo, Aucoin, Yandle and Jovo so far, and that doesn't make the radar, yet OEL is not cut any slack - that is how one loses his confidence.
The same analogy can be made of Kyle. He plays his heart out yet somehow is not allowed any miscues.
What will making Derek Morris a healthy scratch do exactly? There are few lessons he needs to learn. He knows he has to be better. Same with Aucoin. But playing OEL 20 minutes a night despite his hiccups would be counterproductive to his develop, IMO. He's showed some laziness and tentative play of late, and there's nothing that sends a message better than demoting him. He'll be better off for it, I can assure you. The guys who take it the wrong way tend not to have long NHL careers, but I don't categorize him as such.

Turris looked great in the Chicago game, and got ice-time late in the third because of it. His commitment to defense and his effort level in all zones was noticeably better than some of his more recent efforts. He iced the puck but then won a puck battle off the draw to get it out. His improvements are not by accident. He got the message and knows how he has to play to stay in the lineup.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 01:24 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
I think they were hoping for a better start by the team and they've struggled out of the gate. When that happens teams tend to lean on their veterans and not rookies.

Having said that, rather than have OEL playing as the 5th, 6th or 7th defense-man, they'd rather he play as the #1 or 2 in the AHL. He can be relied upon in all situations and really come into his own.

This will help him in the long run.
Totally agree with what you said, definitely no reason to rush an undersized 19 yo. I was just a tad surprised that was all. I wouldn't mind seeing him on Sweden's WJC squad either And it would be cool if he was eligible for ROTY next year instead.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:57 PM
RampageNate

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=543604

Stafford returned to SA.

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote