HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Re-signing Sullivan top priority...

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2004, 04:23 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Re-signing Sullivan top priority...

http://tennessean.com/sports/predato...nt_ID=52881146

Sullivan, Hnidy likely to return.

Bombardir, York, Johansson not likely to be retained.

Old
06-15-2004, 04:34 AM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
It won't break my heart to see bomber or york go. It kinda sucks that Johonnson more then likely won't be retained

Old
06-15-2004, 04:37 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly
It won't break my heart to see bomber or york go. It kinda sucks that Johonnson more then likely won't be retained

it scares me that bomber AND york are gone. i hope that means we're bringing someone else in, because the thought of Hutch full-time, quite frankly, makes me a tad nervous.

Old
06-15-2004, 04:53 AM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
it scares me that bomber AND york are gone. i hope that means we're bringing someone else in, because the thought of Hutch full-time, quite frankly, makes me a tad nervous.
I'm thinking Free Agent signing?

Perhaps Todd Simpson, Bryan Marchment, Sean O'Donnel, or James Patrick?

I should add I think the preds should try and sign Jason Wiemer in the off-season since he's a ufa

Last edited by hillbilly: 06-15-2004 at 05:01 AM.
Old
06-15-2004, 07:29 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I agree, sounds like we're bringing someone else in or maybe they really believe Weber, Suter or Klien to be ready

Old
06-15-2004, 08:45 AM
PredDave

From John Glennon's article in the Tennessean,

"Sullivan made $3 million last year and is a restricted free agent, meaning the Predators must make him a qualifying offer of $3.3 million by the end of June. But Sullivan also has the right to go to arbitration, and it's believed he might command up to $4 million for next season."

--- While I do agree that Sullivan could easily command $4+ million dollars in arbitration, Glennon is incorrect on the qualifying offer. The "qualifying offer" in the NHL only has to be a 10% or more increase if the player is making at or less than the NHL average salary. Last year's average salary was in the $1.79 million dollar range, so Sullivan could be re-qualified at $3 million. I honestly doubt he would accept that, but let's hope they can avoid arbitration and both sides can sensibly sign a multi-year deal.

Just my 2 cents,
PredDave

Old
06-15-2004, 08:52 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I should have waited and read the article before posting. Sounds to me like Bomber will be back mainly because he's cheap. I don't believe Zholtok, Arkhipov or Johanson will be back, so that does leave room for some rookies to make the roster. I'd like to see more size so I'd like to see Segal and Pivko make it. Between Upshall and Shiskanov, I'd take Upshall right now just because of his grit.

right now the way things look IMHO

Sullivan-Legwand-Walker
Erat-Johnson-Orszagh
Hartnell-empty-Hall
McKenzie-empty-Tootoo

Seems like they've been grooming Hall to move to center, so maybe Segal gets called to play with Harts and Hall, or maybe you put Johnson back between those two and give Gamache a shot. Move Hall to center and bring Pivko, Shiskanov up. We keep one extra forward so right now we are 3 players short of a full roster just at the forward position.

On defense
Kimmo-Eats
Hamhuis-Bomber
Zidlicky-Hnidy

Leaving us with a 7th defenseman/Healthy scratch open. I'm not sold on Hutch yet, but he reminds me an awfully lot of Mark Eaton when we first traded for Eaton.

At least we aren't debating on whether or not we need to keep Bill Houlder and Andy Delmore.

Old
06-15-2004, 09:02 AM
WuRtZLeSs

Send a message via AIM to WuRtZLeSs Send a message via MSN to WuRtZLeSs
While there's the possibility that I'm completely wrong, while watching the 3/14 game the Predators had versus Detroit, Darren Pang said something along the lines of:

The Blackhawks offered Sullivan something around 3yr/2.5mill - and Sullivan asked for something multi-year around 4/5mill

There's certainly the possibility that Sullivan wanted to cut ties with the Blackhawk organization and wanted to move on, but I think he'll be asking for something around 4/5mill a year personally.

Old
06-15-2004, 09:04 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Between Upshall and Shiskanov, I'd take Upshall right now just because of his grit.
Shishkanov has quite a bit of grit. In the two games I've seen them both play together, Shish threw the bigger hits and played meaner. Now he's not as gritty as Upshall, but at 20 pounds more, he looks the part.

Old
06-15-2004, 09:06 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
I've thought hall could make a good center for a while, but I guess we'll see. If we don't re-sign bomber, then we had better have some other stay-at-home d-man in mind. I'm all for weber, suter or klein playing in the NHL but a stay-at-home with NHL experience is a def. plus.

Old
06-15-2004, 09:18 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuRtZLeSs
While there's the possibility that I'm completely wrong, while watching the 3/14 game the Predators had versus Detroit, Darren Pang said something along the lines of:

The Blackhawks offered Sullivan something around 3yr/2.5mill - and Sullivan asked for something multi-year around 4/5mill

There's certainly the possibility that Sullivan wanted to cut ties with the Blackhawk organization and wanted to move on, but I think he'll be asking for something around 4/5mill a year personally.
I still think we'll sign him even at 4M a year. I think they must be close to a deal or Poile wouldn't be in the papers talking about how important to us he is and how we really need to sign him.

Old
06-15-2004, 10:01 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
IMO $4m is worth it for sullivan. he fits our organization like a glove.

Old
06-15-2004, 10:11 AM
predhead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
I've thought hall could make a good center for a while, but I guess we'll see.
Frankly I would be surprised if Hall moved to center full-time. He doesn't seem to fit into Trotz's system at that position - it seems Trotz prefers speed instead of size at center, though management has expressed a desire to get more size at that position. Of course if Hall goes to power skating school again this summer, he might prove me wrong.

Old
06-15-2004, 10:48 AM
crossxcheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by predhead1
Frankly I would be surprised if Hall moved to center full-time. He doesn't seem to fit into Trotz's system at that position - it seems Trotz prefers speed instead of size at center, though management has expressed a desire to get more size at that position. Of course if Hall goes to power skating school again this summer, he might prove me wrong.
who knows, but one thing is for sure...hall played an awesome series against the wings and I'm looking forward to seeing him next season.

Old
06-15-2004, 11:41 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

I take it they're bringing over Sulzer, giving Hutchinson a long look, possibly giving Klein a look as well, and maybe Weber...I wish they'd go after a dman UFA-version though

Old
06-15-2004, 04:05 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
I take it they're bringing over Sulzer, giving Hutchinson a long look, possibly giving Klein a look as well, and maybe Weber...I wish they'd go after a dman UFA-version though
We need to bring over Sulzer as soon as possible. The DEL just does not develop prospects like the RSL or the Finnish and Swedish leagues. The German Junior system is nice, but after that, German kids need to come over to North America. Sturm, Goc, Errhoff, Seidenberg all came over withing a couple of years of being drafted. Most waited around two years. I'd like to get Sulzer over and playing for an AHL teaching where he can get the development that we want for him.

Closed Thread