HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Who could use Michael Ryder?

Old
11-12-2010, 11:20 AM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Who could use Michael Ryder?

Ryder has played really well this season, scoring and working the boards well, so much so that many Bruins fans would prefer to waive Sturm and hold Ryder, but apparently that's not possible because the B's would have to clear enough cap room to put Sturm on the roster, before they could actually waive him. (Don't ask.)

At any rate, Ryder's owed about $3m at this point, and the Bruins need to move him to get cap compliant. They can just waive him with the intent of sending him to the minors, but I'm guessing that given his play, he'd get claimed.

So, who could use some secondary scoring in the form of Michael Ryder?

I'm guessing the cost would be negligible. Something like what Lee Stempniak brought last season at the deadline, with the potential of a similar return.

PlayMakers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:36 AM
wej20

Pens could but can't afford him until the deadline and even then it might be tight.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:40 AM
Blank

I wouldn't trade Ryder to a eastern team.. Maybe some western team that needs more scoring? Minny? Dunno.

Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Pepin le bref

I think a lot of teams could use a player like Ryder. The problem is his damn salary.

Pepin le bref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank View Post
I wouldn't trade Ryder to a eastern team.. Maybe some western team that needs more scoring? Minny? Dunno.
1. Stop calling us "Minny", it's like nails on a freaking chalkboard

2. We don't have the cap space to take him, without sending some back. Which defeats the purpose of the trade for Boston.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Habs don't have any practical way to accommodate his cap hit. But, if you have the requisite x-ray vision to look past that impracticality, and to further penetrate the dual impossibilities of Boston trading him to their archrival or the Habs wanting him back... well...

The Habs could sure use him right now. Or basically any reasonable facsimile of a top-6 winger who has enough of a pulse to be considered a hail mary substitute for Lapierre or Moen in the top-6.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Ryder and a 2nd for Halak.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Pepin le bref

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Habs don't have any practical way to accommodate his cap hit. But, if you have the requisite x-ray vision to look past that impracticality, and to further penetrate the dual impossibilities of Boston trading him to their archrival or the Habs wanting him back... well...

The Habs could sure use him right now. Or basically any reasonable facsimile of a top-6 winger who has enough of a pulse to be considered a hail mary substitute for Lapierre or Moen in the top-6.

Amen

Thank god the team is winning because those line combinations are mind-boggling to say the least. I wonder if Palushaj could work out with Gomer and Gionta

Pepin le bref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

I would think Toronto would be all over that.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

"Minny" already has a bunch of overpaid role players. Don't need or want.

Generic User is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:05 PM
DesertDawg

once the board of Governors approve the sale of the Coyotes, I can see the Coyotes raising payroll and tweaking their roster. Top priority is a defensive blue-liner but the need to address scoring is an issue, if the price is right.
If they can get a d'man in another transaction then maybe they can trade 1 of their bottom pairing`...

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:11 PM
lumm0x

Anyone who could afford to absorb the money will also be well positioned in waiver queue. I don't think anyone is desperately enough to trade for his services without giving contract back. They'll likely take advantage of the waiver claim.

lumm0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Ten Thousand Hours

Nashville? Not sure what their internal cap looks like...

Ten Thousand Hours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:19 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Ryder has played really well this season, scoring and working the boards well, so much so that many Bruins fans would prefer to waive Sturm and hold Ryder, but apparently that's not possible because the B's would have to clear enough cap room to put Sturm on the roster, before they could actually waive him. (Don't ask.)

At any rate, Ryder's owed about $3m at this point, and the Bruins need to move him to get cap compliant. They can just waive him with the intent of sending him to the minors, but I'm guessing that given his play, he'd get claimed.

So, who could use some secondary scoring in the form of Michael Ryder?

I'm guessing the cost would be negligible. Something like what Lee Stempniak brought last season at the deadline, with the potential of a similar return.
Question. If teams know the Bruins may be forced to waive him in a couple of weeks why would they trade assets to get him now? I'm sure the market is pretty slim for him right now with his current cap hit so no one is gonna give up a 3rd and 5th for him. I just can't see that happening.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:23 PM
BlueBeard

As a Blues fan I'd take a shot at Ryder for a mid round pick/middle of the road prospect type of deal. With the team waiting to replace the majority investor I don't see the front office making that deal.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:36 PM
8BostonRocker24

I've said for awhile, Colorado, Nashville, Columbus, The Yotes and Ducks should be asking. Ryder is having a bounce back year and playing for a contract. I've seen all of Bostons games this year and I can honestly say Ryder has been Boston's 3rd best winger behind only Horton and Lucic.

If one of those teams could pick up Ryder for a 3rd or 4thround pick, they should be all over it.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:37 PM
KingPuckChoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
ahhh always a classic, still makes me smile

KingPuckChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:38 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

Colorado could really use him IMO. Who knows how long Mueller will be out and Galiardi just broke his wrist. Avs don't want to spend the money though.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Question. If teams know the Bruins may be forced to waive him in a couple of weeks why would they trade assets to get him now? I'm sure the market is pretty slim for him right now with his current cap hit so no one is gonna give up a 3rd and 5th for him. I just can't see that happening.
Because there's a waiver order. If a team needed him, but wasn't tops in the waiver priority list giving up a 3rd or 4th round pick might be worth the gamble.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
I've said for awhile, Colorado, Nashville, Columbus, The Yotes and Ducks should be asking. Ryder is having a bounce back year and playing for a contract. I've seen all of Bostons games this year and I can honestly say Ryder has been Boston's 3rd best winger behind only Horton and Lucic.

If one of those teams could pick up Ryder for a 3rd or 4thround pick, they should be all over it.
I agree.

His value MAY BE higher than a 4th or 3rd rounder right now...

But it beats the alternative of putting him on waivers and having Leafs claim him.

I rather sell very low, and avoid any chance of helping Toronto with their dreadful scoring woes.

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
As a Blues fan I'd take a shot at Ryder for a mid round pick/middle of the road prospect type of deal. With the team waiting to replace the majority investor I don't see the front office making that deal.
Toronto could use Ryder but Boston won't deal directly with them.

St. Louis could trade for Ryder for a mid to late round pick.

St. Louis then trades Brad Boyes for a slightly higher value to Toronto (i.e. 2nd rounder).

Boston gets out of there cap crunch well gaining a small asset back.

St. Louis gains a player who is performing better at the RW spot for this year at the same price tag, an upgrade in drafts picks. Well also making room for the new Backes deal and the Oshie and Berglund contract raises that will be coming next year.

Toronto gains a struggling overpaid forward well only giving up a 2nd rounder that will be given ample opportunity to succeed. Toronto then looks to trade off Beauchemin because when Phaneuf returns either Beauch or Komi will be getting paid too much to be a # 5 Dman to another team for a lesser Dman who makes in the 2 million dollar range plus a draft pick (ex. Sutton plus a 3rd, Hejda plus a 3rd). This deal still leaves Toronto the ability to have cap space to make another deal down the road for the top forward they desperately need.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:47 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
The weird part is that actually makes Boston a worse team...

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:51 PM
nickschultzfan

Brunette + Miettinen for Ryder + Wheeler.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:56 PM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Maybe Minny can move Havlat to the B's for Ryder

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Fire Julien