HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Who could use Michael Ryder?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-12-2010, 11:20 AM
  #1
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff
 
PlayMakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wellesley, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,333
vCash: 500
Who could use Michael Ryder?

Ryder has played really well this season, scoring and working the boards well, so much so that many Bruins fans would prefer to waive Sturm and hold Ryder, but apparently that's not possible because the B's would have to clear enough cap room to put Sturm on the roster, before they could actually waive him. (Don't ask.)

At any rate, Ryder's owed about $3m at this point, and the Bruins need to move him to get cap compliant. They can just waive him with the intent of sending him to the minors, but I'm guessing that given his play, he'd get claimed.

So, who could use some secondary scoring in the form of Michael Ryder?


I'm guessing the cost would be negligible. Something like what Lee Stempniak brought last season at the deadline, with the potential of a similar return.

PlayMakers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:36 AM
  #2
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,641
vCash: 500
Pens could but can't afford him until the deadline and even then it might be tight.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:40 AM
  #3
Blank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 331
vCash: 500
I wouldn't trade Ryder to a eastern team.. Maybe some western team that needs more scoring? Minny? Dunno.

Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:43 AM
  #4
Pepin le bref
Registered User
 
Pepin le bref's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NDG/CDN Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 998
vCash: 500
I think a lot of teams could use a player like Ryder. The problem is his damn salary.

Pepin le bref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:44 AM
  #5
Vashanesh
My best outfit
 
Vashanesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 2,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank View Post
I wouldn't trade Ryder to a eastern team.. Maybe some western team that needs more scoring? Minny? Dunno.
1. Stop calling us "Minny", it's like nails on a freaking chalkboard

2. We don't have the cap space to take him, without sending some back. Which defeats the purpose of the trade for Boston.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:46 AM
  #6
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,687
vCash: 500
Habs don't have any practical way to accommodate his cap hit. But, if you have the requisite x-ray vision to look past that impracticality, and to further penetrate the dual impossibilities of Boston trading him to their archrival or the Habs wanting him back... well...

The Habs could sure use him right now. Or basically any reasonable facsimile of a top-6 winger who has enough of a pulse to be considered a hail mary substitute for Lapierre or Moen in the top-6.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:50 AM
  #7
Magnus Fulgur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 7,354
vCash: 500
Ryder and a 2nd for Halak.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:51 AM
  #8
Pepin le bref
Registered User
 
Pepin le bref's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NDG/CDN Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Habs don't have any practical way to accommodate his cap hit. But, if you have the requisite x-ray vision to look past that impracticality, and to further penetrate the dual impossibilities of Boston trading him to their archrival or the Habs wanting him back... well...

The Habs could sure use him right now. Or basically any reasonable facsimile of a top-6 winger who has enough of a pulse to be considered a hail mary substitute for Lapierre or Moen in the top-6.

Amen

Thank god the team is winning because those line combinations are mind-boggling to say the least. I wonder if Palushaj could work out with Gomer and Gionta

Pepin le bref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:55 AM
  #9
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 19,469
vCash: 500
I would think Toronto would be all over that.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:55 AM
  #10
Generic User
Dynamic as they come
 
Generic User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 6,815
vCash: 500
"Minny" already has a bunch of overpaid role players. Don't need or want.

Generic User is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:05 PM
  #11
DesertDawg
Registered User
 
DesertDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Superstition Mts
Posts: 4,660
vCash: 500
once the board of Governors approve the sale of the Coyotes, I can see the Coyotes raising payroll and tweaking their roster. Top priority is a defensive blue-liner but the need to address scoring is an issue, if the price is right.
If they can get a d'man in another transaction then maybe they can trade 1 of their bottom pairing`...

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:11 PM
  #12
lumm0x
Registered User
 
lumm0x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 121
vCash: 500
Anyone who could afford to absorb the money will also be well positioned in waiver queue. I don't think anyone is desperately enough to trade for his services without giving contract back. They'll likely take advantage of the waiver claim.

lumm0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:17 PM
  #13
Ten Thousand Hours
Registered User
 
Ten Thousand Hours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,384
vCash: 500
Nashville? Not sure what their internal cap looks like...

Ten Thousand Hours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:19 PM
  #14
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Ryder has played really well this season, scoring and working the boards well, so much so that many Bruins fans would prefer to waive Sturm and hold Ryder, but apparently that's not possible because the B's would have to clear enough cap room to put Sturm on the roster, before they could actually waive him. (Don't ask.)

At any rate, Ryder's owed about $3m at this point, and the Bruins need to move him to get cap compliant. They can just waive him with the intent of sending him to the minors, but I'm guessing that given his play, he'd get claimed.

So, who could use some secondary scoring in the form of Michael Ryder?


I'm guessing the cost would be negligible. Something like what Lee Stempniak brought last season at the deadline, with the potential of a similar return.
Question. If teams know the Bruins may be forced to waive him in a couple of weeks why would they trade assets to get him now? I'm sure the market is pretty slim for him right now with his current cap hit so no one is gonna give up a 3rd and 5th for him. I just can't see that happening.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:23 PM
  #15
BlueBeard
Registered User
 
BlueBeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
As a Blues fan I'd take a shot at Ryder for a mid round pick/middle of the road prospect type of deal. With the team waiting to replace the majority investor I don't see the front office making that deal.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:36 PM
  #16
8BostonRocker24
Registered User
 
8BostonRocker24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Gatos via Boston
Country: China
Posts: 9,214
vCash: 500
I've said for awhile, Colorado, Nashville, Columbus, The Yotes and Ducks should be asking. Ryder is having a bounce back year and playing for a contract. I've seen all of Bostons games this year and I can honestly say Ryder has been Boston's 3rd best winger behind only Horton and Lucic.

If one of those teams could pick up Ryder for a 3rd or 4thround pick, they should be all over it.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:37 PM
  #17
KingPuckChoo
Registered User
 
KingPuckChoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
Ryder and a 2nd for Halak.
ahhh always a classic, still makes me smile

KingPuckChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:38 PM
  #18
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$
 
bohlmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,500
vCash: 500
Colorado could really use him IMO. Who knows how long Mueller will be out and Galiardi just broke his wrist. Avs don't want to spend the money though.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:42 PM
  #19
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.
 
Kaoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Question. If teams know the Bruins may be forced to waive him in a couple of weeks why would they trade assets to get him now? I'm sure the market is pretty slim for him right now with his current cap hit so no one is gonna give up a 3rd and 5th for him. I just can't see that happening.
Because there's a waiver order. If a team needed him, but wasn't tops in the waiver priority list giving up a 3rd or 4th round pick might be worth the gamble.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:43 PM
  #20
Seguins Dragon*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In Carls Garage
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
I've said for awhile, Colorado, Nashville, Columbus, The Yotes and Ducks should be asking. Ryder is having a bounce back year and playing for a contract. I've seen all of Bostons games this year and I can honestly say Ryder has been Boston's 3rd best winger behind only Horton and Lucic.

If one of those teams could pick up Ryder for a 3rd or 4thround pick, they should be all over it.
I agree.

His value MAY BE higher than a 4th or 3rd rounder right now...

But it beats the alternative of putting him on waivers and having Leafs claim him.

I rather sell very low, and avoid any chance of helping Toronto with their dreadful scoring woes.

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:46 PM
  #21
Ricky Bobby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
As a Blues fan I'd take a shot at Ryder for a mid round pick/middle of the road prospect type of deal. With the team waiting to replace the majority investor I don't see the front office making that deal.
Toronto could use Ryder but Boston won't deal directly with them.

St. Louis could trade for Ryder for a mid to late round pick.

St. Louis then trades Brad Boyes for a slightly higher value to Toronto (i.e. 2nd rounder).

Boston gets out of there cap crunch well gaining a small asset back.

St. Louis gains a player who is performing better at the RW spot for this year at the same price tag, an upgrade in drafts picks. Well also making room for the new Backes deal and the Oshie and Berglund contract raises that will be coming next year.

Toronto gains a struggling overpaid forward well only giving up a 2nd rounder that will be given ample opportunity to succeed. Toronto then looks to trade off Beauchemin because when Phaneuf returns either Beauch or Komi will be getting paid too much to be a # 5 Dman to another team for a lesser Dman who makes in the 2 million dollar range plus a draft pick (ex. Sutton plus a 3rd, Hejda plus a 3rd). This deal still leaves Toronto the ability to have cap space to make another deal down the road for the top forward they desperately need.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:47 PM
  #22
SteenMachine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fenton, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
Ryder and a 2nd for Halak.
The weird part is that actually makes Boston a worse team...

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:51 PM
  #23
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,047
vCash: 500
Brunette + Miettinen for Ryder + Wheeler.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:56 PM
  #24
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK
 
therealkoho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: the Prior
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,878
vCash: 500
Maybe Minny can move Havlat to the B's for Ryder

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:58 PM
  #25
Fire Julien
Registered User
 
Fire Julien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 17,993
vCash: 500
The Bruins could and will use him.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.