HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jason Wiemer

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2004, 09:52 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Jason Wiemer

I noticed that he is an ufa and only 28, If Im Sather, Id try to sign him. Sather has had intrest in him in the past and tryed to claim him on waivers at one point. Id like if the Rangers signed Wiemer, what would u think? I can see Murray being a Weimer type. Wiemer I think would be a good leader and can add some physical play and toughness and has decent skill.

Old
06-14-2004, 09:54 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
I'd personally prefer him to Barnaby, he'd come cheaper, and does bring a solid effort every night.

Old
06-14-2004, 09:56 PM
rnyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
I noticed that he is an ufa and only 28, If Im Sather, Id try to sign him. Sather has had intrest in him in the past and tryed to claim him on waivers at one point. Id like if the Rangers signed Wiemer, what would u think? I can see Murray being a Weimer type. Wiemer I think would be a good leader and can add some physical play and toughness and has decent skill.

Well 1MAJOR problem: he's a 3rd-4th line guy, guys we have TONS OF. Now if Barnaby says no to a broadway encore then sure, but not both, remember, the point of a rebuild is not to get into the playoffs but develop the youth, and that can't be done if we give too many spots to vets

Old
06-15-2004, 10:01 AM
kazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnyquist
Well 1MAJOR problem: he's a 3rd-4th line guy, guys we have TONS OF. Now if Barnaby says no to a broadway encore then sure, but not both, remember, the point of a rebuild is not to get into the playoffs but develop the youth, and that can't be done if we give too many spots to vets
Wiemer would be an ideal "replacement" for Barnaby. Bigger, younger, he will score 10-15 goals per year. Like Barnaby, he sticks up for his teammates.

Old
06-15-2004, 10:36 AM
Slewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazo
Wiemer would be an ideal "replacement" for Barnaby. Bigger, younger, he will score 10-15 goals per year. Like Barnaby, he sticks up for his teammates.
I have no problem with Wiemer instead of Barnaby.

Old
06-15-2004, 11:36 AM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
How is Weimer as a team leader?

Barnaby never had that reputation before he came to the Rangers, but it seemed as if he was a very positive force in the locker room. That is very much something to take into account when thinking of whom to sign for what will be a young team.

Old
06-15-2004, 12:55 PM
Prucha73

I would avoid Wiemer at all cost.

Old
06-15-2004, 01:02 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
bring back barnaby PLEASE.

Old
06-15-2004, 01:04 PM
kazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
I would avoid Wiemer at all cost.
Why?

Old
06-15-2004, 01:06 PM
rnyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
How is Weimer as a team leader?

Barnaby never had that reputation before he came to the Rangers, but it seemed as if he was a very positive force in the locker room. That is very much something to take into account when thinking of whom to sign for what will be a young team.
So true, Barnaby was anything but a leader,and by most considered a super pest and nothing more. But he's really cleaned up his act, Weimer could as well, don't put limits on guys under 30, i think history has shown us not to

Old
06-15-2004, 01:11 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazo
Why?
Because he doesn't bring anything to this team that guys like Murray, Betts, Ortmeyer, etc. can't do, and likely do it better.

Old
06-15-2004, 01:16 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Guys, I've followed Wiemer closely for years. I thought he was a pretty solid third line forward in Calgary and Florida. I don't think he played as well on the Island, but I also don't think he deserves all the criticism he received during that period.

Overall, I think he'd be a very smart pickup for the Rangers or any other team.

Old
06-15-2004, 01:17 PM
ish

I would definately go with bringing Barnaby back over Weimer. Barnaby scores 10-15 goals in a good year. And he enjoys playing for us, which is a whole lot more than you can say about too many players over the lasy seven years.

Old
06-15-2004, 01:28 PM
Blueshirt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ish
I would definately go with bringing Barnaby back over Weimer. Barnaby scores 10-15 goals in a good year. And he enjoys playing for us, which is a whole lot more than you can say about too many players over the lasy seven years.
I have to agree with this one. I would rather take Barnaby over Weimer. Barnaby lives up in Westchester and is a face in NY. During his BRIEF time here, he has become a bit of a fan favorite. This past year he proved he could do more than just aggitate when he put the puck in the net a few times and he followed course in Colorado. Both Weimer and Barnaby play day in and day out and play with passion. Personally I just think that Barnaby brings more leadership to the table.

As far as a guy like Weimer or Barnaby taking the spot of a younger... you need SOME vets to provide leadership and stability. Barnaby never fell into the Ranger mold of sit on his ass and do nothing or show up only on some nights. The guy played for the organization and if he wanted to come back, I would take him over a Weimer any day.

Old
06-15-2004, 02:04 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Barnaby at 1.5 million a year, or Wiemer at 750,000. Both produce about the same, Wiemer is younger, is equally as rugged, but can fight better than Matthew (who doesnt though?)

.... I see no real downside to giving him a shot.

Why is everyone all high on Blair Betts, the guy has a bad back, who even knows if he can survive a whole season.

Ortmeyer - Wiemer - Murray

.... Sounds like an ideal 4th line to me. It has a veteran presence in Wiemer, and two younger guys with NHL experience. I'd rather have that, but that is solely my opinion.

Old
06-15-2004, 02:07 PM
Fletch

Didn't Wiemer...

end the season with Minnesota?

As for acquiring...if he were acquired, it wouldn't really be a replacement for Barnaby as Wiemer is a center. He's somewhat needed - he brings energy, he hits, and he can pot the odd goal. On the negative side, he's not that strong on faceoffs. The Rangers currently aren't too strong at center with Holik basically being the only NHL center (I guess Mike Green will fight it out and who knows where Lundmark ends up, but to me, he's a winger). So the Rangers really need a top centerman, a third line centerman (calling Holik second because if he does go against top lines, he will get a lot of ice time), and a fourth line center with Green and some AHL players fighting it out for the three 'open' center positions. Wiemer may not be great, but perhaps he should be considered.

Old
06-15-2004, 02:54 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken
Barnaby at 1.5 million a year, or Wiemer at 750,000.
Wiemer made 1.6 million with the Islanders. I think because he was claimed on waivers the only way he can be moved is in the order of teams that could have taken him at the time. It was this way at the deadline when he was rumored to be traded to Ottawa.

In other words the Rangers and the teams in the standings up to Ottawa would have to pass on him before Ottawa could make a deal with the Wild for his rights.

Old
06-15-2004, 05:18 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
You can have Weimer after you pry him from our cold dead hands!

We have a lack of good players like Weimer playing for the Wild, especially since we lost Stevenson. He can only help our young guns...

Old
06-15-2004, 05:48 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
Wiemer made 1.6 million with the Islanders. I think because he was claimed on waivers the only way he can be moved is in the order of teams that could have taken him at the time. It was this way at the deadline when he was rumored to be traded to Ottawa.

In other words the Rangers and the teams in the standings up to Ottawa would have to pass on him before Ottawa could make a deal with the Wild for his rights.
That's correct, wasn't he released because he wasn't making a big enough impact to warrant his salary? I don't know about bringing him to the rags but I suppose if you paid him little and put him on the 4th line as a tough guy, meh why not.

Old
06-15-2004, 08:53 PM
OldBlueSeats

there are 2 reasons why Milbury dumped Weimer.
1st, the Isles tried to save a few pennies (they are so cheap) and 2nd, He didnt get along with mr Islander Mike Peca and Milbury didnt want to rock the apple cart!
Nice move Mike, your team TANKED after you lost him on wavers and peca went on to do a few more kids furniture comercials..

Closed Thread