HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Best Player To Never Play in an All-Star Game?

Old
12-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Boom Boom Bear

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Im not defending John Garrot but will say he was the winningest goalie in wha Hockey was a very good Junior goalie and was an nhl goalie for 7 seasons so not too shabby.Now would I take Chris Nilon over Garret yes.But John would be a very good back up
Garrett was horrible in the NHL post-WHA. He was number three goalie for his entire time there behind overweight & overrated flopping midget nightmare Richard Brodeur, & a developmentally-destroyed & lacking confidence former Team Canada WJC goalie in Frank Caprice.

Anyway, don't know why people overlooked my mention of Hector Marini in the same sentence, he was certainly worse than Garrett.

Anyway, I don't recall how the All-Star teams were done at the time, but Roger Neilson coached the Campbells, so I'm wondering why Smyl couldn't have been picked over Ciccarelli. How many players could the coach pick? How many were there due to fan votes?

Boom Boom Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I just looked it up. He's certainly acquired an interesting resume so far, but I have trouble seeing him ahead of Brian Engblom as a player, let alone Henrik Zetterberg.

Plus, he was a 1st Team All Star in an incredibly weak year for that position.
Definitely agree. Just an interesting name to put out there. Zetterberg has been selected, while Kunitz - to my memory - has never been. Which I think is a very noteworthy difference, of course...

Interesting regardless...

Mike Farkas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 09:27 PM
Sprague Cleghorn
User Registered

vCash: 214
Maybe some guys that are worst than John Garrett :

Rick DiPietro
Espen Knutsen
Sergei Krivokrasov

Sprague Cleghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 09:28 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ Dont remember & cant find the exact criteria, but each team also had at least one rep which is how Hector Marini
wound up playing in 83 (NJ Devils).... tragically he lost an eye while playing in the minors ending his career altogether.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 01:50 PM
goeb

on a side note, remember when Petr Buzek playe din the 1999-2000 All-Star Game, dman that Euro vs. NA style was annoying.

I also believe Geoff Courtnall was never selected to an all-star game, which is quite shocking.

goeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 04:06 PM
DearDiary

vCash: 757
I don't think Crosby's ever played at the all star game, he missed every single one due to injuries

DearDiary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 04:14 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipops View Post
I don't think Crosby's ever played at the all star game, he missed every single one due to injuries
He's listed as having played in 2007

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Bear View Post
Garrett was horrible in the NHL post-WHA. He was number three goalie for his entire time there behind overweight & overrated flopping midget nightmare Richard Brodeur, & a developmentally-destroyed & lacking confidence former Team Canada WJC goalie in Frank Caprice.

Anyway, don't know why people overlooked my mention of Hector Marini in the same sentence, he was certainly worse than Garrett.

Anyway, I don't recall how the All-Star teams were done at the time, but Roger Neilson coached the Campbells, so I'm wondering why Smyl couldn't have been picked over Ciccarelli. How many players could the coach pick? How many were there due to fan votes?
King Richard Brodeur was supposed to be the nucks rep. He got hurt, and since every team had to have a rep back then and the team was now short a goalie, Garrett had to get the call.

If not for Gretzky tuning up the East in the third, Garrett might have won the game MVP.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 11:42 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipops View Post
Wow, that's pretty remarkable even if he did play in 2007.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 01:25 AM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Let's go out on a limb...let's say he's selected to Team Canada and they win Gold in a couple months...

He would be a 2x Cup winner, an Olympic Gold winner, a World Championships medalist, a first-team all-star and a 2x top-10 goal scorer and 2x top-10 point finisher and will have yet to play in an NHL All-Star Game...

Who am I?
Chris Kunitz has the potential to be a two-time top-10 goal and point scorer, but has not finished the 2014 season in those positions yet.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 02:00 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Who's the best defenseman to never play in the All-Star Game? Vladimir Konstantinov seems like the obvious choice, with a bit of an asterisk due to the way his career ended. Ulf Samuelsson has to be up there.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote