HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Update: Vinny Lecavalier DTD after surgery; will play tonight!

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2010, 01:23 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

vCash: 500
Update: Vinny Lecavalier DTD after surgery; will play tonight!

Maybe we should have a seperate thread on this:

Quote:

Vinny Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with fractured hand

11/11/2010 - Tampa Bay Lightning captain Vinny Lecavalier will be out three to four weeks with a fractured knuckle on his right hand. It is the same knuckle that has bothered him all season. The team said it is a displaced fracture and does not required surgery. Lecavalier sustained the injury in the first period Thursday against the Capitals when he extended his right hand to swat at a puck and, apparently, the torque of the motion fractured the knuckle. Lecavalier played through the second period before sitting out the third.

Source: http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...fractured-hand
Video: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...id=35&id=82535

Vinny Lecavalier needs surgery, out 3-5 weeks

11/15/2010 - Lecavalier will have surgery today in Cleveland to expedite the recovery of the fractured big knuckle of his right index finger. Lecavalier said the procedure, to be performed by orthopedist Tom Graham of the Cleveland Clinic, could have him ready to return in the planned timetable of 3-5 weeks. "He's a great surgeon," Lecavalier said. "I'm confident." Lecavalier was placed on the injured reserve list retroactive to Thursday. Boucher said that had Lecavalier not decided to have the surgery, the captain would be out 6-8 weeks. "By doing that, it could be 3-5 (weeks) instead of 6-8," Boucher said. "As you all know, him coming back could be the difference between us making the playoffs and not."

Source: http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...cle1134320.ece

Vinny Lecavalier's surgery was successful, out 4-5 weeks

11/15/2010 - The Tampa Bay Lightning have announced that captain Vincent Lecavalier underwent successful surgery to repair an unstable fracture in his right hand on Monday. The procedure, which was performed by Dr. Tom Graham at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, involved fixating a plate and screws in the hand to properly stabilize the fracture and promote optimal healing. Lecavalier is now expected to miss between four and five weeks. The original diagnosis had a three-to-four week time frame for recovery.

Source: http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=341352

Timetable for Lecavalier return now 4-5 weeks after getting plate and screw inserted into his right hand during surgery in Cleveland today

Source: http://twitter.com/erlendssontrib
Source: http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/nov...rts-lightning/

The procedure revealed an unstable fracture in the hand. It was fixated with a plate and screws to properly stabilize the fracture and promote optimal healing.

Source: http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...l-hand/1134392

Last edited by LightningStrikes: 12-05-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old
11-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Lecavalier sustained the injury in the first period Thursday against the Capitals when he extended his right hand to swat at a puck and, apparently, the torque of the motion fractured the knuckle

Old
11-12-2010, 01:28 PM
CSampson

For **** sakes.

Old
11-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Lightning15

Sadly, this won't be much of a loss. Seems the last couple of seasons his numbers have been down.

Old
11-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Didn't he learn anything from his attempted glove save earlier in the season? Wow. Just genuinely dumb.

Old
11-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning15 View Post
Sadly, this won't be much of a loss. Seems the last couple of seasons his numbers have been down.
Right. Losing your captain for a few weeks is never a big loss.

Old
11-12-2010, 01:42 PM
sonny side up

Sweet, I guess its looking more and more like Philly won the trade for Gagne, this is beginning to get a little crazy IMO. Despite what people will say about Vinny, he contributes a ton to this team, just not statistically

Old
11-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Staalguy

Lecavalier is still a great guy to have on the team playing even if he is not putting up points becuase he always has the danger to put up the points, he fills a top 6 forward role, and he is the team capatian......never a good thing to lose a player of theis cailber even if he was not putting up the points

the only plus side for the lighting is that malkin is also struggling with injuries and looks like he wont play tonight

Old
11-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

**** me.

...Gagne...

Old
11-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny side up View Post
Sweet, I guess its looking more and more like Philly won the trade for Gagne, this is beginning to get a little crazy IMO. Despite what people will say about Vinny, he contributes a ton to this team, just not statistically
His paycheque has and will always require him to contribute statistically. He is paid to put up points. Other facets of his game are supposed to be a part of the complete package, not the main attraction. The quote from Boucher (or was it Yzerman?) saying that they didn't care if he only put up 5 goals this year was a load of **** trying to take the pressure off of him.

His cap number and term length dictate was is expected from him. Guys that are leaders and team players don't make buckets of money for their leadership. They make buckets of money to put up numbers so that their pay is justifiable. Under the current situation thus far this season he has been bad, I don't care how many intangibles he brings to the table. He is paid to ****ing put up points and score.

Old
11-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Lightning15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Phillips View Post
Right. Losing your captain for a few weeks is never a big loss.
Point taken. I was thinking purely from a stats point of view.

Old
11-12-2010, 03:05 PM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
Nope. Has Walker played a game for Philly or in the AHL yet? Don't forget he was injured as well, and was out for a significant length of time. If Gagne comes back and doesn't do anything except provide a warm body that doesn't actually cost us games, we still win. Especially since Gagne is off the books after this season and Walker is not.

And I went and looked it up, Walker has been on IR since 10/07 for hip surgery, hasn't played a game yet and was scheduled to be out at least 10-12 weeks. We still win.

Old
11-12-2010, 03:19 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Sweet, I guess its looking more and more like Philly won the trade for Gagne, this is beginning to get a little crazy IMO.
It's way, way, WAY too early to try and determine who "won" that trade. Last I checked, Matt Walker has yet to even play a game due to injury.

Yes, Gagne has disappointed early on, at least statistically, in the 6 games he did see action. That said, it wasn't for a lack of effort as he wasn't floating or terrible positionally. He generated scoring opportunities, had two games with 5 SOG and was parked in front of the net for several of the PP goals scored while he was on the ice.

In fact, I'm glad this injury happened now and not April. I don't care if he misses significant action and struggles to put up 40 points in the regular season so long as he's able to come back 100%, hopefully, in that case, to a team that is locked into or in serious contention for a playoff spot. Ask Flyers fans what a healthy (or partially healthy) Simon Gagne can do for you in the playoffs.

Old
11-12-2010, 03:24 PM
sonny side up

wait wait wait, Walker still hasnt played a game yet? I take back what I said and I will sub this in instead

"na na na na na na ha ha ha ha ha ha"

Old
11-12-2010, 03:58 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

lol anytime you give up Walker who was signed for 4 years at almost 2 million dollars you win

Old
11-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staalguy View Post
Lecavalier is still a great guy to have on the team playing even if he is not putting up points becuase he always has the danger to put up the points, he fills a top 6 forward role, and he is the team capatian......never a good thing to lose a player of theis cailber even if he was not putting up the points

the only plus side for the lighting is that malkin is also struggling with injuries and looks like he wont play tonight
By that logic, Pavel Brendl would be a hot commodity.

Old
11-12-2010, 05:08 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
By that logic, Pavel Brendl would be a hot commodity.
In every league but the NHL he is, but Lecavalier has scored more points every year than Brendl's entire NHL career.

*I admit I totally bought Brendl's hype, he is who I would have selected #1 in 1999 before we traded the pick and I would have selected him 4th before we traded it to NYR.

Old
11-12-2010, 06:21 PM
garmonbozia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecavilier_4 View Post
His paycheque has and will always require him to contribute statistically. He is paid to put up points. Other facets of his game are supposed to be a part of the complete package, not the main attraction. The quote from Boucher (or was it Yzerman?) saying that they didn't care if he only put up 5 goals this year was a load of **** trying to take the pressure off of him.

His cap number and term length dictate was is expected from him. Guys that are leaders and team players don't make buckets of money for their leadership. They make buckets of money to put up numbers so that their pay is justifiable. Under the current situation thus far this season he has been bad, I don't care how many intangibles he brings to the table. He is paid to ****ing put up points and score.
You echoed these sentiments in the Must Vinny Go - poll/thread and I think they're misleading. They're simplifying an idea that a player is paid the highest amounts of money in this league because they are expected to score a correlated number of points commensurate with each year of their contract. While a noble ideal, and something I'm sure many fans would prefer to see, it just isn't the economic reality of the NHL and how players pay is determined.

Players are paid for their complete package. Their skillset and history is more relevant in determining their pay than any projections or expectations of whats to come in the years being negotiated. Also of note, players are able to make whatever teams are willing to pay. Look at the top paid 30, 50, or 100 players in the league...they are not necessarily the top 30, 50, and 100 scorers. They come from all positions and serve a variety of roles. Moreso than scoring, the things the top paid players in the NHL have in common is leadership and previous success. In my opinion that is what teams pay the big bucks for, leadership and the anectdotal hope that previous success translates into future success.

I am not arguing that Vinny's current production justifies the amount of dollars he's paid. Nor that everything else he brings makes up for the lack of said production. In a perfect world were players were paid on a sliding scale based upon current performance Vinny should be making the 3rd or 4th highest amount on the team. Comparing players cap hits league-wide, even at his lesser rates of goal production, he isn't overpaid by very much for all that he brings and means to this frachise.

He isn't the league MVP he's been in the past anymore, but he is still a great hockey player with the physical tools and past experiences upon which to rely as he works toward future success. I can't begrudge him for making as much as he does, his agent and OK Hockey negotiated a fair deal at that moment in time that many believed was a bargain. Its only in hindsight now that he's at all overpaid, and, when compared across the whole league I still think he's paid commensurate to his value to the Lightning.

Hopefully Gagne and Lecavalier recover well and get back soon their abilities will certainly be missed on the ice.

Old
11-13-2010, 02:08 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I'm actually happy Vinny's getting time off, ya know, to let his whole body heal, though I wish it was 1 week instead of 3 or 4 and at a time where our whole team wasn't injured.

Old
11-14-2010, 10:36 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

The tam originally said he wouldn't, but Vinny will have surgery on his hand

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...ry-fix-knuckle
Quote:
Tampa Bay Lightning captain Vinny Lecavalier will have surgery Monday to fix the fractured big knuckle of his right index finger.

Old
11-14-2010, 11:42 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Vinny was also playing through "foot and knee issues".

Old
11-15-2010, 05:42 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

Edited the first post. Vinny's surgery was successful!

Old
11-15-2010, 05:50 PM
CSampson

Pretty much guarantees this losing slump to continue. One scoring line doesn't cut it.

Old
11-15-2010, 06:37 PM
19brichards91

...Well...at least it isn't 6-8 weeks.

Old
11-17-2010, 05:30 AM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

Edited the first post: Simon Gagne returned to practice yesterday!

Closed Thread