HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Halpern: mea culpa... and a word on Markov

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-12-2010, 10:13 PM
  #1
Max Levine
Registered User
 
Max Levine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,004
vCash: 500
Halpern: mea culpa... and a word on Markov

I was disappointed when Gauthier signed Jeff Halpern. A 34-year old with bad knees to take a regular spot off a youngster after we discarded Metropolit and ignored Dominic Moore. And for what? A few points more on face-offs?

Felt terrible when I saw Martin counting on him for the 3rd line, especially since Moore was having a good start in Tampa Bay.

As it turned out, Halpern has been amazing. His contribution is phenomenal: offensively, defensively, penalty killing, face-offs. Of course, I expected the worst but I would have been contented with much less. Not only has he adequately replaced Metropolit but comparing Pyatt-Moore-Lapierre to Pouliot-Halpen-Darche, we're getting better production from our 3rd line and equal defensive play.

Now a word on Markov, a player I would have liked to see traded for a big return. Seeing his reactions when we score a goal, his enthusiasm, kinda like Subban, Markov's presence is that more significant to this team. With the hope that he will remain healthy, I would love Gauthier to sign him for the next few years.

There you have it. Pretty much an acknowledgment of error in judgment on my part.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:22 PM
  #2
RNiner
Registered User
 
RNiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 333
vCash: 500
The key there is both are team-first players. Your thought on Halpern weren't really wrong, and given his health he could easily have gone the other way. But given his team-first mentality and veteran experience, I'm all for future gambles of similar risk/reward given the price we paid.

RNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:27 PM
  #3
Chomsky
Registered User
 
Chomsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
When will people understand that young players growing in a team is a painful growth? They won't magically have an impact on the team except if they are top prospects and even then. Veterans like Halpern can be bad, but you have a better shot at a consistent and good effort.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:27 PM
  #4
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic
 
Captain Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,097
vCash: 500
I think Halpern also fits better in Montreals locker room environment than his last few teams. He's team first guy but he needs to be around other team first guys and pretty much Montreal's entire locker room is like that. He's shown he can score 20 goals in a season and he is really proving to be an ideal 3rd line center for Montreal. The Phd line has been Montreal's most clutch and versatile line since Martin put them together. I love that Halpern's work ethic is rubbing off on Pouliot too, he's looking much more focused. I pretty much only liked the Halpern signing because we share a last name, but his play is icing on the cake.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:29 PM
  #5
Horatio Caine
Registered User
 
Horatio Caine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 238
vCash: 500
I loved Markov's reaction when Subban scored.

Horatio Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:30 PM
  #6
Max Levine
Registered User
 
Max Levine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNiner View Post
The key there is both are team-first players. Your thought on Halpern weren't really wrong, and given his health he could easily have gone the other way. But given his team-first mentality and veteran experience, I'm all for future gambles of similar risk/reward given the price we paid.
Good point. Neither one of them is playing for his own statistics. They play and think as a team. And you're right about his health but if he could manage to stay healthy and give us around 60 games, I'd still consider it as a great contribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoDynasty View Post
I think Halpern also fits better in Montreals locker room environment than his last few teams. He's team first guy but he needs to be around other team first guys and pretty much Montreal's entire locker room is like that. He's shown he can score 20 goals in a season and he is really proving to be an ideal 3rd line center for Montreal. The Phd line has been Montreal's most clutch and versatile line since Martin put them together. I love that Halpern's work ethic is rubbing off on Pouliot too, he's looking much more focused. I pretty much only liked the Halpern signing because we share a last name, but his play is icing on the cake.
I didn't want to mention Pouliot because one could counter with Lapierre being less efficient without Moore-Pyatt. But it is obvious that BP has gained a lot playing with both Halpern and Darche. His defensive play has also improved.

And you should be proud of your... distant cousin

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:37 PM
  #7
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,152
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
You can't beat experience & Halpern knows the game. Sure in the cap era you have to develop some players, but not more than 1 or 2 rookies on a roster at a time. Otherwise you end up in the basement for the next 5 years like Edmonton & that's just not an option in Montreal.

BTW what ever happened to that guy that wanted to trade the whole team for the Oilers during training camp?

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:41 PM
  #8
Max Levine
Registered User
 
Max Levine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
When will people understand that young players growing in a team is a painful growth? They won't magically have an impact on the team except if they are top prospects and even then. Veterans like Halpern can be bad, but you have a better shot at a consistent and good effort.
If you are referring to Lars Eller, that is a totally different thread. It's not as if Halpern beat Eller for the 3rd line center job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Hab View Post
You can't beat experience & Halpern knows the game. Sure in the cap era you have to develop some players, but not more than 1 or 2 rookies on a roster at a time. Otherwise you end up in the basement for the next 5 years like Edmonton & that's just not an option in Montreal.

BTW what ever happened to that guy that wanted to trade the whole team for the Oilers during training camp?
I'll admit to my bad judgment on Halpern and Markov but don't point your finger at me for a change of roster

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:47 PM
  #9
Sebaldian
Registered User
 
Sebaldian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Caine View Post
I loved Markov's reaction when Subban scored.

Sebaldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:52 PM
  #10
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,851
vCash: 500
They are so many ups and down in hockey at time, it makes your head spin.
Well Halperns was spair parts last year and now he's producing well in a 3rd line roll.
Spacek is turning his game around.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:58 PM
  #11
Max Levine
Registered User
 
Max Levine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
They are so many ups and down in hockey at time, it makes your head spin.
Well Halperns was spair parts last year and now he's producing well in a 3rd line roll.
Spacek is turning his game around.
One problem I had about Halpern was some people's enthusiasm based on his days in Washington. But in L.A., he was useless. A friend of mine, Kings fan, was upset with that trade (losing Purcell). Of course, it didn't cost us anything but I expected as much.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 12:14 AM
  #12
SB164
Registered User
 
SB164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
That's our Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 12:50 AM
  #13
Montreal4Life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 608
vCash: 3978
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
That's our Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Naw, that was Markhov and Komi... Komi turning to the dark side of course

Montreal4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 01:01 AM
  #14
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,285
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
That's our Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi.
I think your star wars analogy is off a little lol.

But as for the op I really don't think anyone thought Halpern would produce like this and I am one who has always been for keeping Markov and making him a Hab for life. I really hope that Markov gets extended sooner rather then later.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 01:15 AM
  #15
Sebaldian
Registered User
 
Sebaldian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I think your star wars analogy is off a little lol.
How?

Sebaldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 01:16 AM
  #16
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,202
vCash: 500
I'm never worried when we sign bottom line players, we rarely fail at that.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 01:21 AM
  #17
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,285
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
How?
I would have to say that Luke got his training from Yoda more then Obi Wan.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 01:40 AM
  #18
Doc McKenna
Registered User
 
Doc McKenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 604
vCash: 500
Leave Chelios out of this conversation

Doc McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 02:31 AM
  #19
KristoLeblanc*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,441
vCash: 500
I can't believe how any "sane" Habs fans could want to see Markov traded... For a "big return"... We won't get anything as good as him in any trade. We have enough young assets.

KristoLeblanc* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 02:50 AM
  #20
Sebaldian
Registered User
 
Sebaldian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I would have to say that Luke got his training from Yoda more then Obi Wan.
That would make Clance Laylor PK's Yoda then. Yoda never fights alongside Luke just trains him and sends him off, however Obi Wan does for a bit.

Nerdiest argument ever?

Sebaldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 10:07 AM
  #21
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio
 
subbanged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 4,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal4Life View Post
Naw, that was Markhov and Komi... Komi turning to the dark side of course
would komi be anakin then

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 10:19 AM
  #22
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,218
vCash: 500
I said it at the beginning of the season and I'll say it again: it's hard to quantify the benefit of having two guys like Markov and Subban on the back end. A lot of teams would be thrilled to only have one, yet alone both of them. If you play them on two different pairings, at least one of them can be on the ice for 45-50 minutes out of 60. The long term consequence for our transition game are very significant. It's a luxury we must capitalize on.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 10:30 AM
  #23
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
i thought Mair or Bélanger would be better than Halpern. I was wrong, and I am glad about it...

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 11:30 AM
  #24
alexstream
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
I was disappointed when Gauthier signed Jeff Halpern. A 34-year old with bad knees to take a regular spot off a youngster after we discarded Metropolit and ignored Dominic Moore. And for what? A few points more on face-offs?

Felt terrible when I saw Martin counting on him for the 3rd line, especially since Moore was having a good start in Tampa Bay.

As it turned out, Halpern has been amazing. His contribution is phenomenal: offensively, defensively, penalty killing, face-offs. Of course, I expected the worst but I would have been contented with much less. Not only has he adequately replaced Metropolit but comparing Pyatt-Moore-Lapierre to Pouliot-Halpen-Darche, we're getting better production from our 3rd line and equal defensive play.

Now a word on Markov, a player I would have liked to see traded for a big return. Seeing his reactions when we score a goal, his enthusiasm, kinda like Subban, Markov's presence is that more significant to this team. With the hope that he will remain healthy, I would love Gauthier to sign him for the next few years.

There you have it. Pretty much an acknowledgment of error in judgment on my part.
man, learn something out of it. they are professionals, it's their full time job and they have years of experience behind them.
PG favored Halpern over Moore or Metro... he PREFERRED him to be there instead of putting a too young too inexperienced center in the hot water.
I'm not the littlest bit surprised by Halpern's success in that role (and superiority over moore and metro) im however of course surprised by his offensive production

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 12:30 PM
  #25
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
it says a lot doesn't it... I didn't know markov was even able to smile.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.